Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says (1451 Views)

Saraki Says Oshiomole's Mouth Divided APC In Reaction To His Suspension / Kwara Govt. Reacts To Saraki, Says Land Never Paid For / Kano State Locked Down For Atiku Abubakar - Saraki Says (photos, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:13pm On Nov 30, 2017
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, on Thursday said he believes ex-President Goodluck Jonathan let corruption thrive during his administration, but was not a power hungry individual.

Mr. Saraki also said he believes the fuel subsidy scam under the former president was the largest single case of corruption in the history of Nigeria.

He said almost N1.3 trillion was stolen through the scam which he witnessed as a senator.

According to Mr. Saraki, he brought the fraud to the attention of the former president who he said lightly waved it aside by saying “You know, oil business is oily.”

Mr. Saraki was speaking at the book launch of a former Minister of Youths and Sports Development under the Jonathan administration, Bolaji Abdullahi, who is now the spokesperson of the All Progressive Congress, APC.
The event took place at the Yar’Adua Centre in the Central Business District of Abuja.

The book titled “On a Platter of Gold” was written on how Mr. Jonathan became president of Nigeria in 2011 but lost the office at the 2015 general election.

It detailed how Mr. Jonathan rose from being a university lecturer to becoming vice president under the late President Umar Yar’ Adua and then President of Africa’s largest democracy, in less than a decade.

“Most astonishingly is the fact that he won with the highest majority vote ever recorded in the nation’s history,” Mr. Abdullahi said, referring to the 2011 presidential election won by Mr. Jonathan.

In his address to the gathering at the public presentation of the book, Mr. Saraki observed that Mr. Jonathan was not ready for power.

He, however, said the former president was not a man desperate for power despite the fact that power came to him without being prepared for it.

“I think it is us Nigerians that produce the kind of leaders we get. No matter what you say about him, I don’t think he was someone who was desperate for power.

“He was not someone that was prepared for leadership. Yes, by misfortune or fortune I keep on saying, we all know the right things but we don’t do it. We find ourselves sometimes blaming individuals, blaming others than ourselves,” Mr. Saraki said.

“I like to share one or two things that will probably summarize the former President Jonathan.

“I remember when I was then Senator and I came across this issue of fuel subsidy and the way the country was losing close to about N1.3 trillion. In the history of this country, I don’t think of any singular kind of level of corruption as huge as that. I had a motion already I wanted to present on the floor of the Senate.

“I felt as a member of the ruling party at that time, it was only proper I discussed it with the President (first), maybe some action could be taken so that I would step down the motion.

“I booked an appointment to see Mr. President. I went with my paper. I started with the background of how people bring in petroleum products. I said ‘Mr. President, in the past people used to get award letters from NNPC to bring in PMS, DPK, and make 10, 20 per cent profit.

“I said Sir, they’ve taken it to another level now. They get an order to bring in products, they don’t want to make 10, 20 per cent anymore.

“They will get an offer to bring in a cargo of 20,000 litres; they will bring in 5,000 to be stamped for 20,000 and instead of making 10 per cent, they make ten times the amount.

“I was telling the President, thinking the President would get very agitated. (But) He said: ‘Senator Saraki, you know this oil business is very oily.’

“I was stunned and taken aback!

“But in a way, that was Jonathan. In a sad way, that was who he is.

“And if you look at the second encounter I will recollect, it was the day I decided I was going to contest to be President. I felt that I didn’t want Jonathan to hear it as news, I booked an appointment to go and see him.

“I didn’t know what I was thinking that day. I went to the Villa. He said: ‘Come in, come in, how can I help you?’

“I looked at the President of a third world country and said ‘Mr. President, I came to tell you that I am going to be contesting for your seat.’
“Jonathan looked at me and said: ‘Oh, okay, good luck, good luck.’

“If it were any other person, maybe I would not have left the Villa! But that again sums up Goodluck Jonathan.

“I think it is us Nigerians that produce the kind of leaders we get. No matter what you say about him, I don’t think he was someone who was desperate for power.

“He was not someone that was prepared for leadership. Yes, by misfortune or fortune I keep on saying, we all know the right things but we don’t do it, we find ourselves sometimes blaming individuals, blaming others than ourselves,” Mr. Saraki said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/251129-jonathan-let-corruption-thrive-not-power-hungry-saraki.htmlhtml

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by AntiWailer: 10:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
"Saraki you know this oil business is very oily."

grin grin grin grin grin grin

As much as I regretted supporting Buhari and APC. I have never regretted voting Jonathan and PDP out.

The regret in APC is simply because of the PDP thieves that hijacked the structure.

Now that Buhari refuse to die. I hope they go back to their party.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by clevvermind(m): 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2017
Jonathan allows corruption to thrive, what of buhari? buhari sits, eats and bath with corruption.
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
clevvermind:
Jonathan allows corruption to thrive, what of buhari? buhari sits, eats and bath with corruption.

A very poor attempt at whataboutism. Try harder

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by ceezarhh(m): 10:27pm On Nov 30, 2017
...and buhari is corruption itself...

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by magoo10(m): 10:30pm On Nov 30, 2017
Replacing him with a dullard desperate for power and lacking in brain for rational thinking wasn't the solution neither.

Buhari is dinning and wineing with corruption, in fact buhari is corruption itself.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by clevvermind(m): 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2017
jayfolarin:

A very poor attempt at whataboutism. Try harder
Buhari loves corruption and corruption loves Buhari. kiss the truth.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by KardinalZik(m): 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2017
Dwelling on the past has never helped is solving problems. APC was supposedly voted in to correct the errors of PDP, not to complain about them.

Instead, they've resorted to writing ill-thought-out, academically unprofitable books up and down.

Years into power, no single campaign promise has been fulfilled. Bunch of Incompetent Nincompoops!

Alliance for Professional Complainants (APC).

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by slimfairboy(m): 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2017
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Oblang(m): 10:46pm On Nov 30, 2017
Lol @oil business is very oily...
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 30, 2017
clevvermind:
Buhari loves corruption and corruption loves Buhari. kiss the truth.

No be only kiss the truth, you know like Suck the fact?

Stick to the topic (which is clearly about Jonathan, his regime and oil business being oily) Your cheap attempt at diversion only works with the unintelligent grin

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Oblang(m): 10:47pm On Nov 30, 2017
KardinalZik:
Dwelling on the past has never helped is solving problems. APC was supposedly voted in to correct the errors of PDP, not to complain about them.

Instead, they've resorted to writing ill-thought-out, academically unprofitable books up and down.

Years into power, no single campaign promise has been fulfilled. Bunch of Incompetent Nincompoops!

Alliance for Professional Complainants (APC).

No single campaign promise kept? Look very well...
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by RoyalUc(m): 10:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
magoo10:
Replacing him with a dullard desperate for power and lacking in brain for rational thinking wasn't the solution neither.

Buhari is dinning and wineing with corruption, in fact buhari is corruption itself.

Magoo10, can I ask you a question? I mean no offence, but do you or can you ever think with a clear mind?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by magoo10(m): 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2017
RoyalUc:

Magoo10, can I ask you a question? I mean no offence, but do you or can you ever think with a clear mind?
Is stating the obvious not thinking with a clear mind?

At least Jonathan never threatened to soak the dogs and baboons in blood if he doesn't win elections.
We also know how many corrupt leaders under Jonathan government are helping the dullard fight their so called anti corruption fight.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 30, 2017
jayfolarin:

Stick to the topic (which is clearly about Jonathan, his regime and oil business being oily) Your cheap attempt at diversion only works with the unintelligent grin

Oga kiss d truth..

ah ah..
why e dey pain you undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by KardinalZik(m): 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2017
Oblang:

No single campaign promise kept? Look very well...
Name One.
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by chukwuemekafran(m): 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2017
Corruption have been a Nigerian thing many years before Jonathan became president.
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by clevvermind(m): 10:58pm On Nov 30, 2017
jayfolarin:

Buhari asslicker sighted. i don't waste my time with buhari asslicker because they don't think right.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nebuchadnezar: 11:00pm On Nov 30, 2017
[s]
AntiWailer:
"Saraki you know this oil business is very oily."

grin grin grin grin grin grin

As much as I regretted supporting Buhari and APC. I have never regretted voting Jonathan and PDP out.

The regret in APC is simply because of the PDP thieves that hijacked the structure.

Now that Buhari refuse to die. I hope they go back to their party.
[/s]
trash trash trash
structure like disgracing Tinubu

Hehehehehehe 99% of yerobas supported Buhari because of Tinubu
the yeroba god
Tinubu is a bastard
Osibanjo is a vagabond
kiss the truth
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by tomiwakeem: 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2017
almost all the politicians in Nigeria are corrupt
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by RoyalUc(m): 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2017
“I was telling the President, thinking the President would get very agitated. (But) He said: ‘Senator Saraki, you know this oil business is very oily'...I was stunned and taken aback!"

I think I understand how Saraki felt about Jonathan then but I wonder how he (Saraki) feels about himself now.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by RoyalUc(m): 11:05pm On Nov 30, 2017
magoo10:
RoyalUc can I ask you a question? I mean no offense, Is stating the obvious not thinking with a clear mind?

Stating the obvious? Weldon o!
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by lonecatt(m): 11:07pm On Nov 30, 2017
Nebuchadnezar:
[s][/s]
trash trash trash
structure like disgracing Tinubu

Hehehehehehe 99% of yerobas supported Buhari because of Tinubu
the yeroba god
Tinubu is a bastard
Osibanjo is a vagabond
kiss the truth
it is really shameful that the same tinubu rode on nadeco to fight against injustice of military dictators like abacha who buhari represents,today they are forcing us to believe that buhari is a saint just because their brother is a vice president. I weep for this people .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by dunkem21(m): 11:23pm On Nov 30, 2017
The only thing people fail to see is that Saraki wants to be President.. He still wants it and he is very very PREPARED!

OK, back to the oil business..

Saraki, did GEJ benefit from the oily* business?

What efforts did you make as a senator to raise it on the hallowed chamber or at least blow the whistle? As it is, it is a case of your word against GEJ's cool

I respect and acknowledge the fact that you spoke out now that the money recovered by this administration is being re-looted angry

Sarrki Saraki, you're a patriot and'll make a good President!
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by lonecatt(m): 11:27pm On Nov 30, 2017
RoyalUc:
“I was telling the President, thinking the President would get very agitated. (But) He said: ‘Senator Saraki, you know this oil business is very oily'...I was stunned and taken aback!"

I think I understand how Saraki felt about Jonathan then but I wonder how he (Saraki) feels about himself now.

who knows how buhari will be feeling about.
Mainagate
babachir the grass cutter
thief baru
danbazzou

buhari himself who was signing cheques in his sick bed after handing over to osibanjo

hypocrisy is very bad

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 30, 2017
clevvermind:
Buhari asslicker sighted. i don't waste my time with buhari asslicker because they don't think right.

Once again, The topic and accusation was from saraki and about your hero, jonathan! Get that into your head and only talk to me about another person when the topic is about them. Dimwit! grin
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by SalamRushdie: 11:32pm On Nov 30, 2017
Did Jonathan really let corruption thrive ? Or he was rail roaded by elements in the APC to allow corruption thrive ..If we look well we will all agree that the two engine rooms of corruption in the Jonathan govt were the subsidy payments and the war on Boko haram both of which were craftily teleguided by the APC , remember Jonathan kept complaining that subsidy had to be removed to stem corruption but members of the APC would have none of that but rather sponsor occupy NIGERIA Protest which made sure that pipeline of corruption stayed open ..Also if members of the APC like Buhari had done enough by speaking out against boko haram there would be no need for the govt to start the reckless spending to win the war thereby creating cheap opportunities to loot war funds.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Paperwhite(m): 11:49pm On Nov 30, 2017
And what is happening now in this morally corrupt APC government Nigerian politicians have no shame.
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Paperwhite(m): 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Did Jonathan really let corruption thrive ? Or he was rail roaded by elements in the APC to allow corruption thrive ..If we look well we will all agree that the two engine rooms of corruption in the Jonathan govt were the subsidy payments and the war on Boko haram both of which were craftily teleguided by the APC , remember Jonathan kept complaining that subsidy had to be removed to stem corruption but members of the APC would have none of that but rather sponsor occupy NIGERIA Protest which made sure that pipeline of corruption stayed open ..Also if members of the APC like Buhari had done enough by speaking out against boko haram there would be no need for the govt to start the reckless spending to win the war thereby creating cheap opportunities to loot war funds.
You made sense dear.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 01, 2017
The APC under the Fulani dullardd buhari are the biggest thieves. Even the illiterate presidiot himself has oiled his hands with corrupt money no wonder he reinstated the exiled thief Maina back into the civil service commission. Or are we talking about babachir lawal or buratai or the scam surrounding the IG? Bunch of broom wielding demonic thieves looting with no fear of repercussions. Bunch or unarmed robbers.
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by tit(f): 2:24am On Dec 01, 2017
Even seriki is calling corruption! !
Re: Jonathan Let Corruption Thrive, But Was Not Power Hungry - Saraki Says by Mynd44: 2:40am On Dec 01, 2017

(1)

Social Media Is Overrated When It Comes To Elections / 2019:who Do We Vote For? / 6 Reasons Why Voting For Atiku Will Be A Big Mistake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.