Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,133 members, 7,845,760 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Coffin For Head Of State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coffin For Head Of State (798 Views)

Youths Make Coffin For Corruption In Nigeria (Photos) / Drama As Jonathan’s Kinsmen Carry Mock Coffin For PDP-The Nations / Nigeria:prophet Sleeps Inside Coffin For 40yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coffin For Head Of State by paddylo1(m): 11:25pm On Mar 27, 2010
Fela Kutis Classic, Pls Listen to it and see how everything he says is relevant to Nigeria Today
From Obasanjo to The Yar Adua Clan
To Religious Intolerance and other relevant issues Today

Its Indeed Prophetic,

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMr_GUD_III&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Coffin For Head Of State by cap28: 12:48am On Mar 28, 2010
i dont think this song was prophetic it was more a commentary by fela on the condition of nigeria at the time (mid 70's) the song was a critique of the then nigerian head of state - obasanjo and his deputy yaradua, who professed to be devout christians and muslims respectively but were responsible for stealing millions of naira worth of oil revenue from the national treasury - (still happening today), brutally killing and maiming its own citizens (still happening today) sending 1,000 troops to storm fela's house brutally beating, r.a.p.i.n.g and maiming its inhabitants and even killing his own mother by throwing her from a second floor balcony.

he also accurately observes the hypocrisy of religion and how it has been used to mentally enslave africans, he describes how the pastors are always well turned out in expensive suits while their congregation can barely eat three square meals a day (still happening in nigeria today)

he points out how religion was used as a tool by the white man to make the black man docile and submissive in order for the white man to loot and pillage the continent unchallenged (still happening today)

it was a song of the times, i think fela was hoping that his song would create awareness amongst nigerians and force us to rise up against the tyrannical system but unfortunately 30 years later things remain the same following our collective failure as a people to rise up and overthrow the corrupt ruling class.
Re: Coffin For Head Of State by paddylo1(m): 12:54am On Mar 28, 2010
^^

I hear u,in addition to all u wrote, to me its also
almost ahead of its time if u apply it to todays problems

from the title, coffin for head of state, (we all know we are basically waiting for yar aduas coffin)
to Obasanjos role in the whole yaradua mess we find ourself
to the elder yar adua without whom we wont have this younger one who is so useless

anyway They say history repeats itself, for us in Nigeria,we better start creating some good history
else we will be stuck with the bad past coming to haunt us again and again
Re: Coffin For Head Of State by cap28: 1:28am On Mar 28, 2010
paddy_lo:

^^

I hear u,in addition to all u wrote, to me its also
almost ahead of its time if u apply it to todays problems

from the title, coffin for head of state, (we all know we are basically waiting for yar aduas coffin)
to Obasanjos role in the whole yaradua mess we find ourself
to the elder yar adua without whom we wont have this younger one who is so useless

anyway They say history repeats itself, for us in Nigeria,we better start creating some good history
else we will be stuck with the bad past coming to haunt us again and again

i agree , we're paying the price for our failure to act -

here is a song by african american social activist and campaigner  sandra isidore - an ex girlfriend of fela's and former black panther who introduced fela to black radical ideology chastising us for failing to listen to some of africa's most progressive thinkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oJdocv4fxA
Re: Coffin For Head Of State by bgees(m): 2:31am On Mar 28, 2010
most things Fela sang about are still visible today. it shows things haven't change at all in like 20 yrs!!!

(1) (Reply)

Mediocre Becomes Uni Vc / Obasanjo And Akinyele Fight Over Jonathan / Death Threat To Dokpesi Real – Ibb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.