Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. (1525 Views)

Cause Of Gear Failure For Toyota Camry / Type Of Gear Oil To Use / Choice Of Gear Oil. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Nobody: 6:14am On Dec 01, 2017
In this post, we are going to compare the pros and cons of automatic, manual, Dual Clutch, CVT and Electric gearboxes. Automatic gearboxes used to be in larger and more expensive cars, but now, even the smallest and cheapest models offer the choice of a manual or automatic gearbox.

Manual gearboxes

A manual gearbox is preferred by some drivers. It is generally standard equipment in smaller, cheaper cars, although some expensive performance cars have a manual gearbox, too.

The gears are selected according to an “H” pattern usually etched on the gearknob. On cars with a five-speed gearbox, reverse is often selected by pushing down and pulling back or forward (as in Volkswagen). With a six-speed gearbox you might have to push down the stick and move it sideways and forwards as if you were selecting a gear next to first. Some VWs are like this. Others require you to lift a collar below the gearknob as you move the lever. Confused? Refer to your vehicle’s manual.

Most cars have six forward (or ‘speeds’) gears instead of five or four (Remember that Reverse gear doesn’t count.) Some, such as the Porsche 911 have as many as seven. The gearstick is either down near the handbrake or, especially in the case of some people carriers, high on the console (old cars have gears close to steering wheel), and you operate the clutch with your foot.

Pros

It gives control over the car as you can choose which gear to use. This can provide more driver involvement, giving the feeling there’s a direct connection between human and machine, with a mechanical feel to each gear change, instead of an ECU taking care of it for you. In some cars, a manual gearbox can also be useful for towing and off-road driving (you get more power of the engine) where you want to hold a low gear. It may reduce driver sleeping off while driving too. You get better mileage (with accurate gear changes), as most have 5-speed manual against 4-speed automatic and in manual, you can select gears faster to save gas.

Cons

Manual requires more effort than an automatic, which becomes most apparent in heavy traffic. Some learners and experienced drivers alike find the gear selection and clutch control hard and tedious.

Today, most automakers are offering an automatic as standard on some of their models or with some of their engines; this is often for reasons of economy, as the latest dual-clutch gearboxes can help cars use less fuel and produce less CO2 than those with a manual transmission.

Automatic gearboxes

Automatic gearboxes have been around for over 70 years and although significant refinements have been made in their technology, the principle of how they work remains the same. You select from Park, Neutral, Reverse or Drive (normally abbreviated to “P”, “N”, “R” and “D”) using a gear lever, control knob or occasionally buttons.

When a gear position is selected, complicated electronics, coupled with a hydraulic ‘torque converter’ clutch, select and engage the correct gear. Changes up or down through the gears are handled by this hydraulic clutch, which is essentially a fluid, spun at speed, that makes the connection between engine and gearbox. The use of hydraulic transmission fluid makes for very smooth changes and explains why traditional automatic gearboxes are sometimes known as ‘slushboxes’.

Pros

Most Drivers like automatic gearboxes for the convenience and very smooth driving experience they offer. They have no clutches. You can select the gear in “D” and forget about touching the gear lever until you want to park or turn around.

Cons

Cars fitted with automatic gearboxes tend use more fuel than the same model fitted with a manual and ‘self-shifters’ also offer less control over the car. This can mean you may find yourself in a higher gear than you’d ideally want to be when taking a corner, for example. Although most automatic gearboxes allow you to ‘kick down’ – press the accelerator briefly and firmly to tell the gearbox to change down – and some offer the option of selecting gears with knobs, buttons or paddles, automatics are generally not considered as responsive as manuals.

SEE OTHER TYPES OF GEARBOXES>>>

https://naijadriva./2017/07/09/automatic-and-manual-gearboxes-which-is-better/#more-817

CC: lalasticlacla
Mynd44

1 Share

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by crisycent: 7:17am On Dec 01, 2017
Manual all day....not for lazy people. The advantages outweighs any benefit of the automatic gear!

2 Likes

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 01, 2017
Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by uboma(m): 9:40am On Dec 01, 2017
crisycent:
Manual all day....not for lazy people. The advantages outweighs any benefit of the automatic gear!

Saying that people who do not drive cars with the manual stick are lazy is unnecessary.

It all boils down to choice.

By the way, I am a fan of the manual stick.
Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by MARKone(m): 12:13pm On Dec 01, 2017
Used manual then, then changed to automatic, next ride will be manual.
Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by crisycent: 5:05pm On Dec 01, 2017
uboma:

Saying that people who do not drive cars with the manual stick are lazy is unnecessary.

It all boils down to choice.

By the way, I am a fan of the manual stick.

I say what I wanna say....don’t tell me what’s unnecessary!
Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Promxy94(m): 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2017
Automatic o
Who no like better thing make I see?

1 Like

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by JohnKester: 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2017
Manual Transmission any time any day!

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2017
My beloved manual anyday. Automatic is for sissies. Pity car companies are phasing out manual these days.
Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 02, 2017
I've been driving an auto for years, recently I bought a manual thinking it will be an easy task. Omo I had to return to driving school o, I even had to put "L" sign on my car to avoid stories. My major problem is starting the car on a hill and when I encounter traffic it's a nightmare. Na so vehicles go just dey burst my eardrums with horn. It's still a learning process but I'm enjoying it, but when I have to get to a place on time and hastle free I use my auto abeg. I can't come and go and kill myself.

So for now I'd say I prefer auto maybe until I master how to use my manual.

2 Likes

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by diportivo: 5:49am On Dec 03, 2017
Most cars have six forward (or ‘speeds’) gears instead of five or four (Remember that Reverse gear doesn’t count

undecided

we won't leave naija

just go and ask drivers of HOWO SINOTRUCK tipper if their reverse gear counts or not

come back and den edit ur post tongue

1 Like

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Aquariann: 4:50pm On Dec 03, 2017
I'll put my money where my left leg is..

1 Like

Re: Other types of Gear Boxes you Should Know About. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2017
[quote author=Mamalahawt post=62925640]I've been driving an auto for years, recently I bought a manual thinking it will be an easy task. Omo I had to return to driving school o, I even had to put "L" sign on my car to avoid stories. My major problem is starting the car on a hill and when I encounter traffic it's a nightmare. Na so vehicles go just dey burst my eardrums with horn. It's still a learning process but I'm enjoying it, but when I have to get to a place on time and hastle free I use my auto abeg. I can't come and go and kill myself.

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Toyota Camry 2008 Engine. / Jayneyo Motos (start Making Income With Transport Business)*cars *trucks Updated / PLS ADVICE: Who H Is Better Honda Accord 1995 Or Honda Civic 1994

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.