Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

I Have Been Duped - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Have Been Duped (3950 Views)

Help,help, Help! Was I Duped? Mercedes Lovers / Have U Been Duped Or Know Someone Who Was, By NCS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Been Duped by toptop: 10:08pm On Mar 28, 2010
i bought a toyota camry 1998 model last year july. recently the car started shorting oil and emmiting smoke abnormally. now mechanics are saying that it has serious engine fault. what do i do? pls i need help.
Re: I Have Been Duped by KunleA2(m): 10:11pm On Mar 28, 2010
Not much in my opinion. You should have taken a mechanic down there in the first place.

Sorry about your plight.
Re: I Have Been Duped by agabaI23(m): 10:12pm On Mar 28, 2010
Where did you buy it?
Re: I Have Been Duped by KunleA2(m): 10:14pm On Mar 28, 2010
agabaI23:

Where did you buy it?

Doesn't really matter. its last year july undecided
Re: I Have Been Duped by dominique(f): 10:14pm On Mar 28, 2010
you bought a used car, what else do you expect?
you can get a second opinion from another mechanic and repair whatever is damaged before your car becomes history.
Re: I Have Been Duped by agabaI23(m): 10:45pm On Mar 28, 2010
dominique:

you bought a used car, what else do you expect?
you can get a second opinion from another mechanic and repair whatever is damaged before your car becomes history.
Nothing wrong with buying a used car if you know what you are looking for.
Kunle-A:

Doesn't really matter. its last year july  undecided

Oga Kunle, I wanted to know if he bought it in naija or even in Nairaland. It does matter anyway.
Again what was the mileage when it was bought? NL would have assisted her in checking the history before committing your money.
Oga Kunle u be dealer and know importance of mileage as regards longevity of the engine.
Re: I Have Been Duped by KunleA2(m): 10:53pm On Mar 28, 2010
agabaI23:

Nothing wrong with buying a used car if you know what you are looking for.
Oga Kunle, I wanted to know if he bought it in naija or even in Nairaland. It does matter anyway.
Again what was the mileage when it was bought? NL would have assisted her in checking the history before committing your money.
Oga Kunle u be dealer and know importance of mileage as regards longevity of the engine.

Now i understand you. Let the owner fill us in. It is an information that can help others too. Good point.
Re: I Have Been Duped by arnold2g3(m): 12:08am On Mar 29, 2010
You were not duped you just bought a vehicle with a faulty engine.
Re: I Have Been Duped by chelseabmw(m): 12:17am On Mar 29, 2010
When i saw this post my heart almost stopped working
Re: I Have Been Duped by chelseabmw(m): 12:20am On Mar 29, 2010
pls change the subject right now poster, u were not duped,u just bought the worng car
Re: I Have Been Duped by chelseabmw(m): 12:23am On Mar 29, 2010
@poster
was this car bought from nairaland?I hope not
Re: I Have Been Duped by Jucol(m): 12:29am On Mar 29, 2010
i bought a toyota camry 1998 model last year july. recently the car started shorting oil and emmiting smoke abnormally. now mechanics are saying that it has serious engine fault. what do i do? pls i need help.

You were not duped. You married a beautiful girl in July last year. All has been rosy and well thereafter. Do you go complaining to her parents when she develops diarrhea a year later? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Take your car to the workshop and get it fixed before it quenches completely. Engines do fail irrespective of mileage.

You may apologize to the seller if you have directly called him/her a dupe.

Good luck!
Re: I Have Been Duped by sultaan(m): 1:40am On Mar 29, 2010
I believe he bought a god used car with a good engine(not new), failed to properly maintain his engine, now its complaining.

@ poster,
What is the color of your enigine oil?
Howmany times have you done your oil change(with filter)?
What weight and type of engine oil did you use?

Your check engine light has been on for a while, what code did your mechanic pull before he diagnosed it as "a serious engine fault"?

The car might not be the problem here, its servicing.

Oil leaking past seals, getting burned causing smoke only happens when you use wrong type of oil& no oil.
Re: I Have Been Duped by Fhemmmy: 3:11am On Mar 29, 2010
The title of this thread do not match the situation.
There is a difference btw being duped and buying a car that almost a year later developed some problems . . . . so you were not really duped.
Take the ride to a mechanic and let them fix it for you.
good luck
Re: I Have Been Duped by Middleman: 3:15am On Mar 29, 2010
sultaan:

I believe he bought a god used car with a good engine(not new), failed to properly maintain his engine, now its complaining.

@ poster,
What is the color of your enigine oil?
Howmany times have you done your oil change(with filter)?
What weight and type of engine oil did you use?

Your check engine light has been on for a while, what code did your mechanic pull before he diagnosed it as "a serious engine fault"?

The car might not be the problem here, its servicing.

Oil leaking past seals, getting burned causing smoke only happens when you use wrong type of oil& no oil.

what would be the right engine oil to use for a 2002 Volkswagen passat V6?
Re: I Have Been Duped by wolesamson: 4:07am On Mar 29, 2010
@poster,

when i saw dis post, i was really afraid, pls u were not duped just d engine developed a fault after almost one year of purchased. I av seen a car bought on a day n at d end of dt day was towed back home. your problem cud be due to somany things of which Sultaan had asked as questions. If a car is not properly meintained, it sure will develop faults. so my advice to u is dt take it to a relaible mechanic to help u out with it. Remember, A STICH ON TIME SAVES NINE.

good luck.
Re: I Have Been Duped by dantitiki(m): 4:58am On Mar 29, 2010
The best has bee said by sultaan.

Mileage on a car doesn't predict the durability. if a car has it's "check engine" light on, it has to be detected what the problem is, and I'm sure the car we are talking about was indicating and it was ignored.
I've sold an '04 car with over 200k miles, didn't have indicating lights on, and haven't received any complain calls till date (over a year and a half)

First question to be asked is " how was the car used and maintained"

The lights in the dash of your car aren't to be ignored. Please check and attend to it as immediate as possible.

Kind regards.
Re: I Have Been Duped by KunleA2(m): 5:03am On Mar 29, 2010
A year is a very long time. Maintenance culture do matter a lot
Re: I Have Been Duped by wolesamson: 5:12am On Mar 29, 2010
very well said my broda, whts d point of buying a car without much care, its like marrying a wife n treating her like slave.
Re: I Have Been Duped by hooged: 7:48am On Mar 29, 2010
@toptop, come out and say something.
Re: I Have Been Duped by chelseabmw(m): 8:45am On Mar 29, 2010
nothing to be said here, it was a mistake
Re: I Have Been Duped by BizBooks(m): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2010
@ toptop,

now mechanics are saying that it has serious engine fault

A mechanic may say that just to get more money from you. Let them tell you exactly what the "serious engine fault" is. Then get a second opinion from another mechanic. If they both say the same thing, then they may be right.

I agree with most posters who have spoken already. The title of your post is quite mis-leading. Change it to something like "My 1998 Camry has Engine Problem" or "My 1998 Camry Emits Smoke" etc.
Re: I Have Been Duped by yusuf2(m): 12:10pm On Mar 29, 2010
Ahh, False ALARM, when i saw the title, i thought maybe u saw a car on nairaland, payed for it and then GBAM (NO CAR)!!!. Get at least 3 good mechanics from different locations 2 check ur car, many mechanics would use the big word (ENGINE) to squander you of ur money only to touch one or two things and tell u ur car is ok, just be careful in believing what mechanics tell u is wrong with ur car. best of LUCK.
Re: I Have Been Duped by chayx: 12:43pm On Mar 29, 2010
toptop, u haven't been duped. u didn't make an informed decision and ended up facing d music. be a man and fix ur ride. ur alarm was screaming and false. don't discredit these guys here in nairaland
Re: I Have Been Duped by KunleA2(m): 1:10pm On Mar 29, 2010
i have been duped!!!!!! cry cry cry cry cry cry

I should have said, i forgot that cars don't last forever if not well taken care of!!!! grin grin
Re: I Have Been Duped by chelseabmw(m): 1:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
I HAVE BEING KILLED,
grin
Re: I Have Been Duped by suegbe: 2:13pm On Mar 29, 2010
The headline was quite misleading and totally wrong. Going by your explanation, you were not duped as you rightly got the car as bargained. You should have done a proper check before making final purchase and possibly got a trusted professional to assess the car.

In anything mechanical/electronic, any thing can happen even if you bought it newly talkless of when you bought a 11 year old used car. THe problem could be a matter of handling/maintenance on your part because you have used the car for about 6 months before you discovered the problem, Anything could have happenned, wrong parts/accessories, engine oil, inefficiency on the part of your mechanic etc.

Nonetheless, i feel you cos i've had a similar experience in the past. i bought a Maxima car and used it for about 3 months before deciding to take it for servicing though the ''Service Required'' was not on. And that was it!. grin. Mr Mechanic had a problem removing the oil filter, he called Mr Welder to assist in firing it. At the end of the day, the brain box was damaged since battery head was not removed and right there and then, the never ending problems with brain box started and till i sold the car about 6 months later, it never fully recovered. It was painful because the car was in perfect condition before i thought i should service it.

So Bros, sorry about this
Re: I Have Been Duped by octar6: 3:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
young man! no need 4 much panic. relax,go and look 4 a competent mechanic 2 fix ur car.I dont think its an engine problem per say. try and go for an auto diagonosis,it could be ur brain box. a good mecahnic will definately figure wot is wrong and fix it. cool
Re: I Have Been Duped by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Mar 29, 2010
suegbe:

T[b]he headline was quite misleading and totally wrong[/b]. Going by your explanation, you were not duped as you rightly got the car as bargained. You should have done a proper check before making final purchase and possibly got a trusted professional to assess the car.

In anything mechanical/electronic, any thing can happen even if you bought it newly talkless of when you bought a 11 year old used car. THe problem could be a matter of handling/maintenance on your part because you have used the car for about 6 months before you discovered the problem, Anything could have happenned, wrong parts/accessories, engine oil, inefficiency on the part of your mechanic etc.

Nonetheless, i feel you cos i've had a similar experience in the past. i bought a Maxima car and used it for about 3 months before deciding to take it for servicing though the ''Service Required'' was not on. And that was it!. grin. Mr Mechanic had a problem removing the oil filter, he called Mr Welder to assist in firing it. At the end of the day, the brain box was damaged since battery head was not removed and right there and then, the never ending problems with brain box started and till i sold the car about 6 months later, it never fully recovered. It was painful because the car was in perfect condition before i thought i should service it.

So Bros, sorry about this

So i thot too
Re: I Have Been Duped by tedanne: 2:45pm On Mar 30, 2010
how come the poster hasnt said anything with regards to the many comments.not even a thank you or any word(s) of acknoledgement?na wa ooooooooooooooooooooo.even after im don almost make some NLs get sudden HBP grin grin.
my guy u hash oooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: I Have Been Duped by Iyanu2005: 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
@toptop,
See how you full yourself. Almost all Nairaland members will read this thread and blame you. You need to be better educated. "goods delivered in good conditions are not returnable"
Re: I Have Been Duped by knotty(m): 3:32pm On Mar 30, 2010
toptop

as your name suggests, just keep on toptopping the engine oil and your camry will last another eternity. (don`t quote me)

certainly, you were not duped.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Problem With My Camry ABS Light / Ever Heard Of The Toyota RAV4 Electric? / Dodge Charger 2010 Hemi V8 Battery Cable Nearly Burnt Up My Car Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.