Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,068 members, 7,956,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:47 AM

Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! (3712 Views)

Babatude Fashola During Ministerial Screening Today (Photo) / Senate Begins Probe Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Others Over Funds Mismanagement / Service Chiefs Arrive Senate For Their Screening Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by wales(m): 9:46am On Mar 29, 2010
The Senate will, at 2:00 pm today, begin the screening of ministerial nominees, whose names were sent to it by the acting president, Goodluck Jonathan, last week.

David Mark, the president of the Senate, had last week read out the names of the 33 ministers out of an expected 42-strong cabinet, though portfolios have not yet been allocated.

Nine other names have emerged in recent days to fill the remaining slots in the new cabinet. A security source revealed at the weekend that Audu Ogbeh and Sam Ode, both from Benue State, have also completed their initial security screening.

The source also added that former ministers Ibrahim Bio, John Odey, Humphrey Abbah and Remi Babalola have also been screened by the State Security Service ahead of nomination.

The last of the nominees completed their screening over the weekend.

Breaking convention

Conventionally, the Senate does not sit on Mondays and Fridays, but the leadership said it was necessary to break the convention and confirm the ministers in order to get the executive arm back to work, considering the limited amount of time left to the expiration of their tenure.

This resolution to hold plenary on Monday is the second unusually friendly gesture the Senate has extended to the acting president since he assumed this office.

Going by their earlier plan, the Senate is supposed to be on a three-week Easter recess. But the leadership came out with a resolution early last week to postpone its Easter holiday by one week to enable them attend to the acting president’s request for the confirmation of his ministers and formation of a new cabinet.

The Executive Council of the Federation was dissolved by the Acting President Jonathan Goodluck,

on Wednesday, March 17, with a promise to re -constitute the council as soon as possible. Most of the ministerial nominees, both new and old, arrived in Abuja late last week and the new additions reported to the office of the National Security Adviser for screening.

If successful, the new nominees will also face the Senate this week.

Possible controversy

Sam Ode, who is currently special adviser on local government affairs to the Benue state governor, Gabriel Suswam, may however be up against Audu Ogbeh.

Mr. Ode is reported to be the governor’s pick, while Audu Ogbeh, a former PDP chieftain, is David Mark’s nominee.

The two may still be put forward though, as other states have had more than one nominee. If nominated, the contingent of ministers from the dissolved cabinet will rise to 14.

There have also been speculations that a group of legislators might be working against the nomination of certain nominees especially Dora Akunyili, managing director of Goldman Sachs Olutoyin Aganga, and three others, for a cocktail of reasons. The alleged argument against Mr. Aganga is that he is appointed to represent Lagos when he is not from the state.

In Ondo State, there were rumblings that a faction of the state’s PDP was solidly opposed to the re-nomination of former justice minister, Adetokunbo Kayode, even though sources indicate that the matter has been resolved.

The reappointed nominees whose names were submitted earlier include Fidelia Akuabata Njeze, Peter Godsday Orubebe, Nuhu somo Way, Adetokunbo Kayode, Henry Odein Ajumogobia, Akinlabi Olasunkanmi,

Diezani Alison-Madueke, Shamsudeen Usman, and Dora Akunyili.

The new nominees are Chukwuemeka Ngozichineke Wogu, Iyom Josephine Anenih, Labaran Maku, Chris Ogiemwonyi, Suleiman Bello, Murtala Yar’Adua, Sanuai M.Dagash, Bala Mohammed, Nduese Essien, Josephine Tapgun, Mohammed BelloAdoke, Ernest Olubolade. Others are Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga, M.K Abubakar-Kebbi, Adamu Waziri, Umar Aliyu, Awodele Najeem Adewale Alao, Abubakar Sadiq Mohammed, Yusuf Suleiman, Ruquiya Rufai, Musa Sada, Sheik Abdallah, Emmanuel Iheanacho,

and Jibril Martins Kuye.

‘Exciting choices’

The Akwa Ibom State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) said on Sunday that very few few nominations in the state have ignited excitement as that of Nduese Essien, a former two-term member of the House of Representatives named by Mr. Jonathan as a nominee.

Link:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5546990-146/senate_begins_ministerial_screening_today_.csp

Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by otukpo(f): 1:17pm On Mar 29, 2010
our fingers are crossed.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bisiaet: 1:56pm On Mar 29, 2010
Screening or no screening senate should just pick Dora again so that those who are afraid of her or those hater of truth could just ends up living Nigeria immediately because when someone is enermy of truth he or she hate whoever stand and speak truth. If the cabals are angry or afraid of her there are so many foreign embassy in Nigeria they can tender their passport for visa and leave and allow Nigeria to have peace.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by samcc30(m): 1:58pm On Mar 29, 2010
kai,  see as this man skin dey shine and fresh, the highest payed politician in the world.
while their citizen r poorest payed in the world.
useless leader.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 29, 2010
bisiaet:

Screening or no screening senate should just  pick Dora again so that those who are afraid of her or those hater of truth could just ends up living Nigeria immediately because when someone is enermy of truth he or she hate whoever stand and speak truth. If the cabals are angry or afraid of her there are so many foreign embassy in Nigeria they can tender their passport for visa and leave and allow Nigeria to have peace.
if dora returns,is that not recyling?.yes or no
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bisiaet: 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
Poster (Bluetooth) sorry I do not see Dora comes back as recycling because a "performer is a performer" as for me she is not bad as a Minister she is be doing well with proven records so I dont see her as being recycle if nominated again so I dont have abetter clue of what you mean by recycle? May be if you expand your meaning of recycle I may get you right.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by solokay(m): 2:27pm On Mar 29, 2010
Those thiefs in the senate are screening would be ministers!. God help nigeria.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by boyt1: 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2010
'Actions speak louder than words'
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by agabaI23(m): 2:36pm On Mar 29, 2010
Is the screening Live on TV? Has it started?
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 3:49pm On Mar 29, 2010
agabaI23:

Is the screening Live on TV? Has it started?

yes, it started at 3:35pm. it is aired on NTA & AIT
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 3:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fidelia Njeze nominated from Enugu State is on the hot seat.

she is the first.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by agabaI23(m): 3:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
^ Thanks

Is it bow and go? The online NTA is not loading in my area.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by blackmann(m): 4:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
so what is the update? pls someone tell me. these are the times i wish i was still back home in naija.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 4:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
actually, my attention is divided as i am at work.

Fidelia Njeze - a former minister of agric (i think minister of state) she was asked questions on agric loan, Fertilisers and i think she answered well , besides, most of the questions she was asked were repetitions.

Ademola Adetokunbo (former AGF) is now on the hot seat.

questions are - electtion petitions, corrpution
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by agabaI23(m): 4:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
bolseas:

actually, my attention is divided as i am at work.

Fidelia Njeze - a former minister of agric (i think minister of state) she was asked questions on agric loan, Fertilisers and i think she answered well , besides, most of the questions she was asked were repetitions.

Ademola Adetokunbo (former AGF) is now on the hot seat.

questions are - electtion petitions, corrpution
Thanks. Update us as much as you can without having to read a sack letter grin
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bluebunnie(f): 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
Has Josephine Anenih been screened?
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by sley4life(m): 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
I hope Dora will be back
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 4:59pm On Mar 29, 2010
Adetokunbo is still in the hot seat. i dont think he will be released anytime soon. almost all the senators have questions for him. i think the senators have forgotten that he was AGF/Min of Justice for less than a month, bcs most of the questions are based on justice.

Josephine has not being screened yet. Only Fidelia Njeze has being screened and the second nominee is Adetokunbo.

(i believe the complete detail of the screening will be published by the dailies tomorrow)
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 5:28pm On Mar 29, 2010
finally they have released him

Next Nominee is PROF DORA AKUNYILI- Anambra State 5:30pm
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by agabaI23(m): 5:31pm On Mar 29, 2010
ok
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by sultan003(m): 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2010
This people wan kill dora,
from what am seeing i dnt think she will go tru,
see anger everywhere
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Fhemmmy: 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
Another time for the Senate to make good money, cos i am sure now that the Ministers to be now will be going to give brown envelopes . . . .Nija politics
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Meldrick(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
I can't believe what I see on National TV. Goshhh, very disgusting
Why are these Northereners taking it so personal. They just want to ensure Dora doesn't scale through. I have heard of the Northern clique but today I really believe. Very sentimental in their opinion.

I like the maturity Dora displayed at the Senate she must definetly scale through.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On Mar 29, 2010
Meldrick:

Why are these Northereners taking it so personal. They just want to ensure Dora doesn't scale through. I have heard of the Northern clique but today I really believe. Very sentimental in their opinion.

I like the maturity Dora displayed at the Senate she must definetly scale through.

Lol
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by agabaI23(m): 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2010
Meldrick:

She should have been ready for that before coming in. She knew she fetched firewood inhabited by ants.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by olanie(m): 6:07pm On Mar 29, 2010
Akunyili on fire !!!
Her ''trial'' continues tomorrow!
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Mar 29, 2010
olanie:

Akunyili on fire !!!
Her ''trial'' continues tomorrow!

The saga continues
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by bolseas(f): 6:10pm On Mar 29, 2010
trust Dora, she will floor them no matter how much they frustrate her, besides she came prepared.

Kanti Bello actually said that she was cooking dishes for madam, that she is a member of the cabal bla bla bla.

i kind of respect Senator Mark, he handled the whole proceedings maturedly.

well expect serious drama 2mrw.
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by soldee: 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2010
She is to continue tomorrow - not good. Too much time fo her enemies to work underground! Men, dis Senators are powerful. See as Dora just dey bow dey spew 'sorry sa, sorry sa' for pesin wey question am - hiya!
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by chosen04(f): 6:15pm On Mar 29, 2010
Dora has just been exposed!!!!!!

bolseas:

trust Dora, she will floor them no matter how much they frustrate her, besides she came prepared.

Kanti Bello actually said that she was cooking dishes for madam, that she is a member of the cabal bla bla bla.

i kind of respect Senator Mark, he handled the whole proceedings maturedly.

well expect serious drama 2mrw.

Why was Dora refering to Senator Kanti Bello as Senator ANTI-BELLO?
Is she(Dora) PRO-CABAL?

Thank God Senator Mark did not miss the mark today!
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by Meldrick(m): 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2010
chosen04:

Dora has just been exposed!!!!!!

HOW? I WATCHED EVERY BIT OF THE PROCEEDINGS AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SHE WAS EXPOSED OR ARE U A MEMBER OF THE NORTHERN CABAL?

soldee:

She is to continue tomorrow - not good. Too much time fo her enemies to work underground! Men, dis Senators are powerful. See as Dora just dey bow dey spew 'sorry sa, sorry sa' for pesin wey question am - hiya!

THAT IS POLITICS. IT'S NORMAL FOR HER TO BOW. SHE OPENED HER HANDS AND SMILED TO HIM MEANING THERE IS NO NEED ILL-FEELINGS AND PERSONAL VENDETTA
Re: Senate Begins Ministerial Screening Today! by soldee: 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2010
Meldrick:

THAT IS POLITICS. IT'S NORMAL FOR HER TO BOW. SHE OPENED HER HANDS AND SMILED TO HIM MEANING THERE IS NO NEED ILL-FEELINGS AND PERSONAL VENDETTA

@Meldrick
Take it easy, its just another show among dem-dem. You seem quite hot under the collar - abi Dora promise you Special Assistant? Regardless of how things end, it will still be dem-dem! She'll either get minister or something else, GJ will make sure.

As for my reference to her bowing, yes, its amusing to see a no-send 'iron lady' bow and bow and bow and bow again (four times I believe, as opposed to Kayode's confident two?) when she first walked in. She's also the first of the nominees to wipe sweat from her face with a hanky, talk about 'hot seat', that hall has ice cold central A/C, lol  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is The Obama Visit 'historic'? / Jonathan, Nwodo And Governors Celebrate Nigeria At 50 In London / GEJ Congratulates Capt Wada On Winning Koji Gov'ship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.