Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities (1784 Views)

Niger Pays NECO N200m Debt, Over 30,000 Students’ Withheld Results / Admission: Over 600,000 Students In Limbo As JAMB Insists On Eligibility / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 04, 2017
Recent computations citing the number of matriculating students over the past four to five years has revealed that there are over 95,000 Nigerians schooling at the Nation's 69 Private Universities.

The computations carried out by HEHProject also reveals that there are about 1 million and 1.1 million Students schooling at the Nation's 46 State and 40 Federal Universities respectively.

The research reveals that three Private Universities from the South Western part of Nigeria; Afe Babalola University, Babcock University and Covenant University put together has about 30,000 students and undoubtedly educate the largest number of Young individuals seeking private higher education in the Country.

The Private University with the highest number of Undergraduate applications in the entire country is Covenant University with a general 50% admittance rate making it the hardest private university to get admitted in the Country.

Interestingly, Engineering, Computer Science and Architecture remain the most sought after degree programmes in Covenant University with about 30% admittance rate. The University which receives the second highest applications in the Country is Babcock followed by ABUAD. According to Afe Babalola, founder of ABUAD the most sought after degree program in his University is Law. Medicine is also very competitive at the Nation's top private Universities.

The private universities with the highest number of enrolled students are Babcock University, ABUAD and Covenant University respectively. Babcock University also matriculates the highest number of post graduate students. Currently, only Babcock and Covenant matriculate post graduate students in the excess of a hundred students.

Most other Private Universities in the country were able to only recruit around 200-400 students each year. Research also showed that many Private Universities which could easily recruit a thousand students during the first decade of private higher education could no longer do so due to the establishment of more private universities which led to more competition.

While 95,000 might seem dismal, with more patronage, trust in the system and moderate fees the current Private Universities in the country can expand their facilities to comfortably accommodate 650,000 Nigerians which would reduce the financial burden of educating Nigerians on the Govt and would equally ensure that Education tourism is kept at it's reasonable minimum.

Speaking on the heels of the released data, one of the Co-founders of the HEH project. A leading scholar in one of Nigeria's prominent State Universities stated that the major reason why Nigerians are not applying massively to Private Universities is because 80% of students in public universities can not afford private universities.
He further stated that Most Nigerians don't see the wisdom in spending so much on Higher education when many graduates of private universities alongside their foreign and public university counterparts are equally going to face a society with Chronic low employment.

He however expressed hope for the future of private universities and also concluded that it would be unfair to compare the enrollment of public and private universities considering that private universities are still very young.

Vincent Chinonso a Co-founder of HEHProject and a Graduate of Covenant University also reiterated that cost has always been the obstacle preventing students from applying to private Universities. He believes that if Government extends TETfund Grants to Private Institutions it would go a long way in driving the tuition of Private Universities down so individuals who couldn't access it initially would be able to do so.

The founder of the project, Olaleye Ifelola also stated that he believes that the issue of low enrollment in Private Universities isn't simply just cost. He stated that a combination of issues ranging from poor research profile, poor branding, low advertisements, poor ranking, poor recruitment drive and low reputation were the major reasons why many private universities find it hard to recruit students.

He however implored Private Universities to give Middle-Class Nigerians good enough reasons to ditch Public Universities and go for them. If I'm going to spend 500,000 Naira schooling in a Private University then I have got to be sure I am going to get more than just 'escaping' Strike.

He also stated that going further the HEHProject was poised to help solve some of the Challenges that were plaguing Higher Education and that he is confident that the the future of Higher Education in Nigeria is bright.

https://educationexplorersite./2017/12/04/less-than-100000-students-schooling-in-nigerian-private-universities/

TheVictorious lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Jochabed(f): 4:08pm On Dec 04, 2017
Only the fortunate few go there.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by DangotePikin: 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2017
Statsocial:
Recent computations citing the number of matriculating students over the past four to five years has revealed that there are over 95,000 Nigerians schooling at the Nation's Private Universities.

The computations carried out by HEHProject also reveals that there are about 1 million and 1.1 million Students schooling at the Nation's State and Federal Universities respectively.

The research reveals that three Private Universities from the South Western part of Nigeria; Afe Babalola University, Babcock University and Covenant University put together has about 30,000 students and undoubtedly educate the largest number of Young individuals seeking private higher education in the Country.

The Private University with the highest number of Undergraduate applications in the entire country is Covenant University with a general 50% admittance rate making it the hardest private university to get admitted in the Country.
Interestingly, Engineering, Computer Science and Architecture remain the most sought after degree programmes in Covenant University with about 30% admittance rate. The University which receives the second highest applications in the Country is Babcock followed by ABUAD. According to Afe Babalola, founder of ABUAD the most sought after degree program in his University is Law. Medicine is also very competitive at the Nation's top private Universities.

The private universities with the highest number of enrolled students are Babcock University, ABUAD and Covenant University respectively. Babcock University also matriculates the highest number of post graduate students. Currently, only Babcock and Covenant matriculate post graduate students in the excess of a hundred students.

While 95,000 might seem a laudable figure. With more patronage, trust in the system and moderate fees
the current Private Universities in the country can expand their facilities to comfortably accommodate 650,000 Nigerians which would reduce the burden of educating Nigerians on the Govt and would equally ensure that Education Tourism is kept at it's reasonable minimum.

Speaking on the heels of the computed data, one of the Co-founders of the HEH project a leading scholar in one of Nigeria's prominent State Universities stated that the major reason why Nigerians are not applying massively to Private Universities is because 80% of students in public universities can not afford private universities.
He further stated that Most Nigerians don't see the wisdom in spending so much on Higher education when many graduates of private universities alongside their foreign and public university counterparts are equally going to face a society with Chronic low employment.

He however expressed hope for the future of private universities and also concluded that it would be unfair to compare the enrollment of public and private universities considering that private universities are still very young.

The founder of the project, Olaleye Ifelola also stated that he believes that the issue of low enrollment in Private Universities isn't simply just cost. He stated that a combination of issues ranging from poor research profile, poor branding, low advertisements, poor ranking, poor recruitment drive and low reputation were the major reasons why many private universities find it hard to recruit students.

He however implored Private Universities to give Middle-Class Nigerians good enough reasons to ditch Public Universities and go for them. If I'm going to spend 500,000 Naira schooling in a Private University then I have got to be sure I am going to get more than just evasion of Strike.

He also stated that going further the HEHProject was poised to help solve some of the Challenges that were plaguing Higher Education and that he is confident that the the future of Higher Education in Nigeria is bright.
Correspondence over the HEHproject can be directed to ifelolaolaleye@gmail.com
I am not surprised by the results. Hopefully, they can become more affordable so more parents can afford them.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2017
DangotePikin:
I am not surprised by the results. Hopefully, they can become more affordable so more parents can afford them.
In just one sentence explain why you quoted the entire post. undecided

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by TheVictorious(m): 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2017
The issue with the overwhelming majority is just the cost of school fees. Also, the majority of people who can afford it don't see the need, since they can easily obtain a degree from a federal varsity almost paying nothing. Hence, no much value for investing in quality education here in Nigeria. If only the TETFUND that makes government owned varsities extremely cheap can be extended to their private counterparts, there will be a bit of balance in the system, as the fees charged by the private varsities will dwindle to a reasonable extent to accommodate more middle-class applicants.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 9:50pm On Dec 04, 2017
I think govt should support private universities because the graduates there are citizens. Like public uni grads they all pay tax.
If the average of N400,000 FG spends on some grad is given to private unis like Afe Babalola that will go along way in reducing the fee.
The CU figure is even what is it is because they only admit people who are willing to follow their Christian based values, this cuts out prospective Muslim admission seekers. It can be higher and better.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by zurielsam(m): 11:18pm On Dec 04, 2017
me wey i never get UNILORIN sch fees shey na me go attend private university. maybe i will forgo my admission this year sef
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
I think govt should support private universities because the graduates there are citizens. Like public uni grads they all pay tax.
If the average of N400,000 FG spends on some grad is given to private unis like Afe Babalola that will go along way in reducing the fee.
The CU figure is even what is it is because they only admit people who are willing to follow their Christian based values, this cuts out prospective Muslim admission seekers. It can be higher and better.

The government owned schools are largely underfunded, especially the state universities. Non academic staff members are fighting presently over the sharing fomula of 30 billion naira only. Yet, you want government to fund private universities because they pay tax. I'm really not understanding you.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 05, 2017
Jochabed:
Only the fortunate few go there.

There was a time my dad wanted to force me to Bowen university. I intentionally failed their cheap exam by shading the wrong options , yet I was shortlisted for interview. Somehow, I passed the interview again but I wasn't given mbbs. I thanked my stars while I gladly opted for the polytechnic. I would have considered myself unfortunate if I had eventually studied their.

Just saying though.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
Hmm very true, 98% of CU applicants are all Christians. Then some Atheists also apply disguising as Christians. So yes they really tried by being the most sought after considering it is almost a one religion school.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

The government owned schools are largely underfunded, especially the state universities. Non academic staff members are fighting presently over the sharing fomula of 30 billion naira only. Yet, you want government to fund private universities because they pay tax. I'm really not understanding you.
I don't think it's about funding private universities but funding Nigerians in Private Universities. I think the first thing that should be done is to identify the Not for Profit private universities from the Profit making own. Then govt could deliberately pay half the fees or full fees rather than building more public universities which would make govt even have to face these so called Unionist. Also building a Public University would also cost more because you have to set up Infrastructure and then give subvention. Imagine govt sponsoring brilliant Lower and Middle Class Nigerian Students to a place like Landmark to study Agriculture or Electrical Engineering or ABUAD to study Mechatronics or Medicine the students would have the best times of their lives.
Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by TheVictorious(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

There was a time my dad wanted to force me to Bowen university. I intentionally failed there cheap exam by shading the wrong options , yet I was shortlisted for interview. Somehow, I passed the interview again and I wasn't given mbbs. I thanked my stars while I gladly opted for the polytechnic. I would have considered myself unfortunate if I had eventually studied their.

Just saying though.

Lool grin Why didn't you wanna go there?
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Jochabed(f): 8:19am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

There was a time my dad wanted to force me to Bowen university. I intentionally failed there cheap exam by shading the wrong options , yet I was shortlisted for interview. Somehow, I passed the interview again and I wasn't given mbbs. I thanked my stars while I gladly opted for the polytechnic. I would have considered myself unfortunate if I had eventually studied their.

Just saying though.
lol.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 05, 2017
Statsocial:

I don't think it's about funding private universities but funding Nigerians in Private Universities. I think the first thing that should be done is to identify the Not for Profit private universities from the Profit making own. Then govt could deliberately pay half the fees or full fees rather than building more public universities which would make govt even have to face these so called Unionist. Also building a Public University would also cost more because you have to set up Infrastructure and then give subvention. Imagine govt sponsoring brilliant Lower and Middle Class Nigerian Students to a place like Landmark to study Agriculture or Electrical Engineering or ABUAD to study Mechatronics or Medicine the students would have the best times of their lives.

You still have to understand that the education sector of the country is in a big mess right now. Sponsorship of students abroad is being withdrawn by the government leaving them to carter for themselves. Even the government owned schools keep increasing their tuition yearly to meet the financial needs of their respective institutions. You do have a point about government subsidising tuition for students of private owned school, however, it would take forever for the government of Nigeria to begin that.

The government would rather create new universities and chunk out semi - illiterates while Nigerians sing their praise for reducing the number of admission seekers than pay for quality education in some selected few private schools, not all though.

The idea is beautiful but not practicable in the Nigeria of today, it may be in coming decades.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by donblazer10(m): 8:43am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

Just saying though.
lol..you should have still gone nah..private universities are better than poly to me tho'

2 Likes

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 8:46am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

Govt should include private unis in their funds. What qualifies a public uni grad for govt subsidy? Their status as tax payers. The private uni folks too pay their tax so let govt support them either their school or them directly. Do public unis admit foreign students.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 05, 2017
donblazer10:
lol..you should have still gone nah..private universities are better than poly to me tho'

I saw a brighter future in the polytechnic and I went for it. I was eventually admitted to the university of my choice after my polytechnic education.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 8:58am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

Just saying though.
You guys like repeating these stories of how you prefer public to private unis. I can tell you that the larger(very huge) percentage of public uni grads are frauds. From those who can't defend 25% their certificate to those who didn't even go through 50% the workload that make up their certificate by reason of sorting, cheating etc.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by donblazer10(m): 9:12am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

I saw a brighter future in the polytechnic and I went for it. I was eventually admitted to the university of my choice after my polytechnic education.
no wahala
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 05, 2017
TheVictorious:

Lool grin Why didn't you wanna go there?

I had wanted a university with a pedigree, I wasn't just willing to go to school, I wanted to have the best experience and I knew Bowen wasn't just going to give me that. My fears were confirmed when I went for the interview and we were packed into an auditorium for praise and worship which lasted for about an hour. I knew that could be the way I'd live my for 6 years on that campus, I was saddened. My dad would have disowned me if he knew I fasted and prayed not to be offered admission that year after showing his interest.

Things became worst when I walked into an office with my dad and a short man called me back and began to rain loads of insultive and aggressive words on me for not greeting him when I passed by and entering the office when other aspirants where at a distance. When I tried to explain myself, other staff members warn me not to utter a sound. My dad came to my rescue but he didn't spare dad either. He had his own fair share of the insult but he remained calm.

when the man eventually left, a staff then told me my dad and I that he was professor whatever and that's how he does. He said the man can also be very nice if he choose to be. I was weeping inside of me already. My parents have never addressed me in that manner the man did. He attracted attention from all over.

The next morning in their hostel, the struggle for water no be here o. The queue was so long and you'd have to carry your bucket from the ground floor to whatever floor u'd take your bath. I got fed up completely.

I became happy when I was given a course I didn't apply for because we were about 750 of the less than 1000 candidates who applied for mbbs but only 29 persons were to be admitted for medicine. I didn't even inform my dad I was admitted for another course. I keep telling him no admission until he found out himself. He wasn't interested in the course either so I moved on.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 9:35am On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
You guys like repeating these stories of how you prefer public to private unis. I can tell you that the larger(very huge) percentage of public uni grads are frauds. From those who can't defend 25% their certificate to those who didn't even go through 50% the workload that make up their certificate by reason of sorting, cheating etc.

You can tell me anything as well as cook up wonky figures to buttress you point. I'm not really interested in arguing which of them can defend whatever, I simply made my decision and went for my choice. Most private universities in Nigeria today are a bunch of crappie schools that really shouldn't be in the business of running a citadel of higher learning, lest for CU and about 2 others that have consistently shown to the world that they have stock in place to be called a citadel.

For the fact that there is rot in the system doesn't allow for such comparison of some ill equipped schools with those who have been in the business for long. The report shows that less than 100K students are in these private schools, and the net sum of alumni wouldn't exceed 300K just yet. Just be patient to see the pack of unbaked graduates to be forced into the society by some of these schools in years to come.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 05, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 11:07am On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

You can tell me anything as well as cook up wonky figures to buttress you point. I'm not really interested in arguing which of them can defend whatever, I simply made my decision and went for my choice. Most private universities in Nigeria today are a bunch of crappie schools that really shouldn't be in the business of running a citadel of higher learning, lest for CU and about 2 others that have consistently shown to the world that they have stock in place to be called a citadel.

For the fact that there is rot in the system doesn't allow for such comparison of some ill equipped schools with those who have been in the business for long. The report shows that less than 100K students are in these private schools, and the net sum of alumni wouldn't exceed 300K just yet. Just be patient to see the pack of unbaked graduates to be forced into the society by some of these schools in years to come.
Even if we leave the few private unis with high standard out, most public schools uni grads aren't better than the grads from those private unis you are referring to. I have seen it.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
Even if we leave the few private unis with high standard out, most public schools uni grads aren't better than the grads from those private unis you are referring to. I have seen it.

Well I don't know what you've seen but nothing justifies settling for mediocrity. And employers of labour sure know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. BTW, can I know what exactly you seen?
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 12:09pm On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
Yet They Are Getting Scholarship To Do Masters N Pg Programs In Europe N America.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

Well I don't know what you've seen but nothing justifies settling for mediocrity. And employers of labour sure know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. BTW, can I know what exactly you seen?
I like that bold part. The problem is when they perform people term it a product of 'connection' and don't want to give credit.

1 Like

Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:
I like that bold part. The problem is when they perform people term it a product of 'connection' and don't want to give credit.

No employer wants an incapable staff to slow down his progress in the private sector. Howbeit, Federal appointments are ridden by irregularities, all in the name of connection.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Desyner: 12:29pm On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

No employer wants an incapable staff to slow down his progress in the private sector. Howbeit, Federal appointments are ridden by irregularities, all in the name of connection.
Have you ever heard of interviews where they say only Covenant, Baacock, ABU, OAU, UI, UNN, UNILAG grads should apply. If yes, why do you think they say that and do you think Civil service can try such ?
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 05, 2017
Desyner:

Have you ever heard of interviews where they say only Covenant, Baacock, ABU, OAU, UI, UNN, UNILAG grads should apply. If yes, why do you think they say that and do you think Civil service can try such ?

I have but such is one in a thousand, although, the recruitment process may eventually be skewed towards favouring grads of the schools a company is biased towards employing. In my opinion, I believe such is done to reduce the number of applicants basically. It may also be that grads from the specified schools have been tested to be very good at the task to be assigned to the appointed ones. I know for sure that such wouldn't happen in civil service, instead, the man - know - man ideology would be prevalent.
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 05, 2017

Just saying though. [/quote]

Ode!
You weren't given Mbbs thats why you didn't enrol.
So na your polytechnic you like now abi? Receive sense jareeee
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2017
writerights:

Just saying though.
Ode!
You weren't given Mbbs thats why you didn't enrol. So na your polytechnic you now like abi? Receive sense jareee
Re: Less Than 100,000 Students Studying In Nigeria's Sixty Nine Private Universities by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2017
kempreze:

Ode!
You weren't given Mbbs thats why you didn't enrol. So na your polytechnic you now like abi? Receive sense jareee

LOL

whether I had gotten mbbs or not, I wasn't willing to study there. Even if I had, it would have been because I was forced to do so. BTW, I love that poly pass Bowen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unn Direct Entry Exam / Unizik Fresh Student Meet Here / Unilag's Pg Computer Science Results Not On The PG's School Website?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.