Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Moving Back To Nigeria From USA - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA (90199 Views)

Happie Boys Deported To Nigeria From Cyprus / Thinking Of Relocating Back To Nigeria From Canada / Moving Back To Nigeria After The Lockdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Go Down)

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by maternal: 11:27pm On Dec 06, 2017
BluFlyBoy:
I will stay in the states and I will try to re-file for permanent residence again. Hopefully I will be successful this time around.

You'll need to leave the U.S. Canada is your next best option.

7 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nigeriadondie: 11:28pm On Dec 06, 2017
BluFlyBoy:
Greetings my fellow Nigerians. I'm facing the prospect of coming back to Nigeria after 8 years in the USA. I finished my post-graduate degree and I'm coming back with a Bsc, MBA and 2 years of work experience in the telecoms industry. I want to know from my people back home, how is the general national feeling, how they enjoy their lifestyle/quality of life and the hard-truths of what I'll be facing coming back as I've been so far removed from the national consciousness because I've been in the USA for almost a decade. I feel passion about my country and people but I need to know what too expect. So my people are you happy with life back home?
U feel passion for Nigeria? No worries when u come back that ur passion go turn to ... Relax when u land for Murtala Muhammad International wing then u go know say u do enter One chance. If u like get deceived with the likes of Pidgin2 u go know say u miss road.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by nwoke37: 5:11am On Dec 07, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

I plan on coming back with about 30000 USD and getting myself land/property to my name, complete NYSC, see what the job market is like as well as concurrently starting a one or two provisions stores. Slowly expand on that, with the end goal to become a distributor at the national level.

Perhaps become a competitor with shoprite?

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by abbij: 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2017
Hello Bluflyboy.

My husband and I were in your situation roughly 2 years ago..He is Nigerian with a complicated Status in the US, I am British/Nigeria with no complicated status, 4 kids with American and British status. Because of the hubby facing removals from the USA, we had the option of him either returning to Nigeria and me filing for the UK Sposal paperwork for him and we can all go to the UK or we all should go to Nigeria. We decided to move to Nigeria instead...the kids get to be close to family and lear the culture....

Saved roughly about $75k, Paid off our 2 cars, Rented a house in Abuja for 2 years, paid children school fees also for 2 years., Shipped the 2 cars to Nigeria, I found a Country Manager Job in Nigeria etc...Hubby will find an IT contract when we arrive..etc

Then Dec 31st 2014 we made our move feeling preapred etc. I dont really want to into all numerous challanges we had including insecurity, bad health care, being stolen from , hubby kidnapped by SARs, I can go on....But just to let you know within 2 years, considering we are relatively very low key people our $75k dwindled down as after first 6 months, the company i worked for stopped paying salaries. Hubby had a very difficult time finding a paid employment and decided to start his own IT firm..which we did but got stolen from most of the time by employees.

This forced the very difficult decision to abandon Nigeria again this time for the UK where I and the kids are citizens and filed Spousal Visa for hubby. So we finally moved back in to the UK this summer with all things now going well, looking back at the Nigeria experience without being negative, It was one of the worst decisions we made...unless you are willing to abandon your ethics and join the status quo...you are in for a very rough time.

it is also quite expensive to maintain a decent lifestyle in Nigeria as a family as well. So your $30k will not go as far as you think...so my suggestion is to put Nigeria on a back burner for now and think of other scenarios that might work better for you but if Nigeria is only the option,then my friend, you need to have a plan and strategise and knowing all your strategies might not work but be willing to tough the ride...I dont care what all your friends say, when the rubber hits the road as we say..you will find yourself alone very quickly.

Good luck.

95 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 08, 2017
abbij:
Hello Bluflyboy.

My husband and I were in your situation roughly 2 years ago..He is Nigerian with a complicated Status in the US, I am British/Nigeria with no complicated status, 4 kids with American and British status. Because of the hubby facing removals from the USA, we had the option of him either returning to Nigeria and me filing for the UK Sposal paperwork for him and we can all go to the UK or we all should go to Nigeria. We decided to move to Nigeria instead...the kids get to be close to family and lear the culture....

Saved roughly about $75k, Paid off our 2 cars, Rented a house in Abuja for 2 years, paid children school fees also for 2 years., Shipped the 2 cars to Nigeria, I found a Country Manager Job in Nigeria etc...Hubby will find an IT contract when we arrive..etc

Then Dec 31st 2014 we made our move feeling preapred etc. I dont really want to into all numerous challanges we had including insecurity, bad health care, being stolen from , hubby kidnapped by SARs, I can go on... But just to let you know within 2 years, considering we are relatively very low key people our $75k dwindled down as after first 6 months, the company i worked for stopped paying salaries. Hubby had a very difficult time finding a paid employment and decided to start his own IT firm..which we did but got stolen from most of the time by employees

This forced the very difficult decision to abandon Nigeria again this time for the UK where I and the kids are citizens and filed Spousal Visa for hubby. So we finally moved back in to the UK this summer with all things now going well, looking back at the Nigeria experience without being negative, It was one of the worst decisions we made...unless you are willing to abandon your ethics and join the status quo...you are in for a very rough time.

it is also quite expensive to maintain a decent lifestyle in Nigeria as a family as well. So your $30k will not go as far as you think...so my suggestion is to put Nigeria on a back burner for now and think of other scenarios that might work better for you but if Nigeria is only the option,then my friend, you need to have a plan and strategise and knowing all your strategies might not work but be willing to tough the ride...I dont care what all your friends say, when the rubber hits the road as we say..you will find yourself alone very quickly.

Good luck.

It's a good thing you went back because it's obvious you don't know much about Nigeria. You've lived most of your lives abroad and you expect to come back and find things easy? It doesn't work that way here

First mistake you made was coming back without knowledge, your $75K will easily be taken off you by crafty individuals

Secondly was putting all your eggs in one basket, yes you had a job but were you doing other things just in case? E.g on the side business.

With $75K being used for upkeep, how much was left for your hubby to start an IT business? Being an IT consultant would have been a better option

Nigeria is not for people who wait for things to happen, you have to make it happen. If your hubby starts a business, he has to be on ground to monitor it.

Good luck

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by maternal: 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2017
Just to de-code the message

Crafty individual= 419 guys

Side business= Have another income for WHEN your employer doesn't pay you the salary owed to you.

Nigeria is not a place for people who wait for things to happen= The government is extremely corrupted and inefficient, you'll have to do literally everything yourself.

In conclusion, a shit show awaits your arrival.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by bigtt76(f): 2:52pm On Dec 08, 2017
Oga ...stay put ooooo! Notin de here

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Beautyaddy: 3:17pm On Dec 08, 2017
maternal:

You'll need to leave the U.S. Canada is your next best option.

Very Correct!

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2017
Now where is lalasticlala sef shocked

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Uyi168: 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2017
OP,i use God beg u,..abeg,nor reason am..nor even think am oo..

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Safiaa(f): 6:28pm On Dec 08, 2017
thesicilian:

Don't you have internet access where you are in the US?
Or you got your degrees and work experience from a US prison?
LMAO

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by bizzleAds: 6:29pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Of course I do, but I'm still asking, I want to get as much information as possible. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just looking for know what people are feeling.

na mature person you be

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by babapressy(m): 6:30pm On Dec 08, 2017
Welcome home

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Duru009(m): 6:31pm On Dec 08, 2017
Wen millions of Nigerians are fighting to enter USA, u are here thinking of coming back!......

You will regret it if u do!

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by SalamRushdie: 6:31pm On Dec 08, 2017
Just a few year ago I would have been part of those welcoming you but today I must tell you relocating is a big mistake

9 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

I plan on coming back with about 30000 USD and getting myself land/property to my name, complete NYSC, see what the job market is like as well as concurrently starting a one or two provisions stores. Slowly expand on that, with the end goal to become a distributor at the national level.

You're just trolling. You got an mba telecommunications experience and you plan to come back to Nigeria to sell Ariel and coffee?

Not to collabo with some colleagues on exploiting the market?

7 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by no1madman(m): 6:32pm On Dec 08, 2017
There's no life in Naija. .period!

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by crafteck(m): 6:34pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Lol... Landed property with 12 million?

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:
Greetings my fellow Nigerians. I'm facing the prospect of coming back to Nigeria after 8 years in the USA. I finished my post-graduate degree and I'm coming back with a Bsc, MBA and 2 years of work experience in the telecoms industry. I want to know from my people back home, how is the general national feeling, how they enjoy their lifestyle/quality of life and the hard-truths of what I'll be facing coming back as I've been so far removed from the national consciousness because I've been in the USA for almost a decade. I feel passion about my country and people but I need to know what too expect. So my people are you happy with life back home?
This guy what do U take us 4??with all that plenty degree U wan come B distributor ? ??plz change yoyr Igbo supplier

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by bestpunterever: 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2017
madridguy:
@ OP sit down for US and stop looking for what is not. Nigeria is only good for the rogues in the govt, their family member,or associate.

Still no light, no security, health sector zero.

Boko haram, fulani terrorist, militant, kidnappers, ritualist, baddo boys, army robbers grin to mention few are making Nigeria the most dangerous place on earth.
u forgot to mention the government backing armed robbers AKA SARS.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by CirocBoi(m): 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2017
thesicilian:

Don't you have internet access where you are in the US?
Or you got your degrees and work experience from a US prison?

Lwkmd grin grin grin, leave the mumu he fit create thread for NL but he nor dey see all the stuffs when dey happen for 9ja for Frontpage..... I go like make sars flog am for this stupiidd qst

5 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by Stevengerd(m): 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
Abeg No come titus here ooo
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by dieBYfire: 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

My Friend stop this madness and remain in the USA for Christ sakes! You are a professional , develop yourself more and compete in the US market! Are you mad to reason coming back to Naija?
I did my BSC in Naija, MSc n currently on PHD in Germany there is no way am going back to Hell fire! My advice use your 30k dollars n my lands and save more to develop it n rent it to tenant! Don't be a fool! angry

9 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by wilbow2k3(m): 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
londoner:
Op, plan your homecoming/ homegoing and don't be in a rush. The hardship others are experiencing you will most likely be able to side step for the most part. You have international qualifications and you are not poor.

Plan and make your way back when you feel you can. Go to Abuja first for a softer landing and surround yourself with people that have the same money or who wealthier than you. Stay away from the hungry, they are the dangerous ones imho.

You can also get a job lined up while you are in the US for international firms operating in Nigeria.

If you have your US citizenship you can always go back if you see the signs that you should leave Nigeria.

You have options which others don't. I would say move over in STAGES if you can.

Good advice..but OP don't be thinking 30000usd is a serious money...if I where you, I would spend more time there...the economy back home is poor now...infrastructure is nothing to write church about and power supply is at its lowest. Right now the waters are not settled for any voyage...

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by MobilityExpress: 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
Blueflyboy you want to relocate to Nigeria after 8 years of academic and job success in America? Hmm, it looks like village people have started to dial your number. Village people in Nigeria are strong o grin

22 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by lathrowinger: 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
U
BluFlyBoy:

Broz, seriously. Awon aje are after u. People from your village Jez open your chapter. Seriously, Something is wrong somewhere. Even ame:olica plison is better than Nigerian right now. I think u might end up dying in the hands of fulani's herdsmen... dey come. They are waiting. Jez make sure u buy nice Casket.

5 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by iluvpomo(m): 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:
Of course I do, but I'm still asking, I want to get as much information as possible. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just looking for know what people are feeling.
If indeed you are sincere with this your thread (supposed plan to return), just spend some time browsing through the various threads on NairaLand front page ... you will get the answer you are seeking

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by mickeymimi: 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2017
come for 6 month holiday first and see how it goes from there .

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by madridguy(m): 6:40pm On Dec 08, 2017
Thanks grin grin grin

bestpunterever:
u forgot to mention the government backing armed robbers AKA SARS.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by oneitalia: 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2017
If you have your green card in the bag then you can come to Naija and see if the conditions are favorable to you.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by maigemuu: 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2017
BluFlyBoy:

Chai! Eleyi lowo aye ninu o. U want return ba?. U bera go beg ur village people make them free u.

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria From USA by iluvpomo(m): 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2017
dieBYfire:

My Friend stop this madness and remain in the USA for Christ sakes! You are a professional , develop yourself more and compete in the US market! Are you mad to reason coming back to Naija?
I did my BSC in Naija, MSc n currently on PHD in Germany there is no way am going back to Hell fire! My advice use your 30k dollars n my lands and save more to develop it n rent it to tenant! Don't be a fool! angry
Max kudos to your hustle, that one no be beans oh! What field?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40)

Fatal Accident Along Onitsha-Nteje Expressway (Disturbing Photos) / Akintola Seun "Big Wayne" Dies In Car Crash (Photos) / How Much Will It Cost Me To Travel To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.