Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa (655 Views)

IMF Faults Forex Restrictions On 43 Items As Hurting Investments / I'm Yoruba And I Know You Biafrans Are Hurting. / Nigerians Seeking Greener Pastures Abroad Hurting Our Pride, Buhari Laments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by KingSango(m): 4:29pm On Dec 08, 2017
KingSango:
[b]5 WAYS THE PROSPERITY GOSPEL IS HURTING AFRICA[/b]
Home » Latest »
BY NOVEMBER 17, 2013
by J. Lee Grady

Gideon Thuranira, editor of Christian Professional magazine, calls these men “churchpreneurs.” They plant churches not because they have a burden to reach lost souls but because they see dollar signs when they fill an auditorium with chairs.

1. It is mixed with occultism. Before Christianity came to Nigeria, people visited witch doctors and sacrificed goats or cows to get prosperity. They poured libations on the ground so the gods would hear their prayers. Today similar practices continue, only the juju priest has been replaced by a pastor who drives a Mercedes-Benz. I am aware of a pastor who buried a live animal under the floor of his church to win God’s favor. Another pastor asked his congregants to bring bottles of sand to church so he could anoint them; he then told the people to sprinkle the sand in their houses to bring blessings. The people who follow these charlatans are reminded that their promised windfall won’t materialize unless they give large donations.

2. It fuels greed. Any person who knows Christ will learn the joy of giving to others. But the prosperity gospel teaches people to focus on getting, not giving. At its core it is a selfish and materialistic faith with a thin Christian veneer. Church members are continually urged to sow financial seeds to reap bigger and bigger rewards. In Africa, entire conferences are dedicated to collecting offerings in order to achieve wealth. Preachers boast about how much they paid for suits, shoes, necklaces and watches. They tell their followers that spirituality is measured by whether they have a big house or a first-class ticket. When greed is preached from the pulpit, it spreads like a cancer in God’s house.

3. It feeds pride. This greedy atmosphere in prosperity churches has produced a warped style of leadership. My Kenyan friend Gideon Thuranira, editor of Christian Professional magazine, calls these men “churchpreneurs.” They plant churches not because they have a burden to reach lost souls but because they see dollar signs when they fill an auditorium with chairs. A selfish message produces bigheaded opportunists who need position, applause and plenty of perks to keep them happy. The most successful prosperity preacher is the most dangerous because he can convince a crowd that Jesus died to give you and me a Lexus.

4. It works against the formation of Christian character. The prosperity message is a poor imitation of the gospel because it leaves no room for brokenness, suffering, humility or delay. It offers an illegal shortcut. Prosperity preachers promise instant results and overnight success; if you don’t get your breakthrough, it’s because you didn’t give enough money in the offering. Jesus calls us to deny ourselves and follow Him; prosperity preaching calls us to deny Jesus and follow our materialistic lusts. There is a leadership crisis in the African church because many pastors are so set on getting rich, they can’t go through the process of discipleship that requires self-denial.

5. It actually keeps people in poverty. The government of Malawi is currently under international scrutiny because of fraud carried out by top leaders. The saddest thing about the so-called “Cashgate” scandal is that professing Christians in the administration of President Joyce Banda have been implicated. One of these people stole millions of kwacha from the government and hid the cash in a teddy bear! Most people today in Malawi live on less than $1 a day, yet their leaders have been known to buy fleets of cars and huge plots of land with money that was not theirs. Sadly, the prosperity gospel preached in Malawi has encouraged pastors and leaders to follow the same corrupt pattern. As a result, God’s people have been financially exploited.

When Jesus described false prophets as wolves in sheep’s clothing, He warned us to examine their fruit. Matthew 7:17 says, “So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit” (NASB). What is the fruit of prosperity preaching?

Churches have been growing rapidly in many parts of Africa today, yet sub-Saharan Africa is the only region in the world where poverty has increased in the past 25 years. So according to the statistics, the prosperity gospel is not bringing prosperity! It is a flawed message, but I believe God will use selfless, broken African leaders to correct it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hItyuh2IAY

Abeg, There Is No JESUS CHRIST

Proof beyond any doubt Jesus is a lie:
https://theriseofsodom..com/2016/04/devil-worship-witchcraft-and-sodomy.html

1 Share

Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by agwom(m): 4:34pm On Dec 08, 2017
hmm
Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by OfficialAwol(m): 4:44pm On Dec 08, 2017
It's a simple thing...

The people they address as "General Overseers" and men and women of God, are nothing but Charlatans who feed on the ignorance of gullible Africans.

They tell the people what the people want to hear....that there problems would be solved without them having to lift a finger because God will send someone from North or South to help them.... then they ask them to bring money.

Today the wait for miraculous escape from predicament has taken precedence over practical and reasoned problem solving. And the fools are attacking Freeze because he wants to take them outta business.

#FreeTheSheeple

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by TheKingdom: 4:48pm On Dec 08, 2017
OfficialAwol:
It's a simple thing...

The people they address as "General Overseers" and men and women of God, are nothing but Charlatans who feed on the ignorance of gullible Africans.

They tell the people what the people want to hear....that there problems would be solved without them having to lift a finger because God will send someone from North or South to help them.... then they ask them to bring money.

Today the wait for miraculous escape from predicament has taken precedence over practical and reasoned problem solving. And the fools are attacking Freeze because he wants to take them outta business.

#FreeTheSheeple

Yep, we deserve the type of country we have, where someone can wake up one morning, call himself pastor or man of god, name his "church" one heavy title, and fools will be there to listen to him while they continue to stay poor or refuse to engage in a revolution

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by OfficialAwol(m): 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2017
TheKingdom:

Yep, we deserve the type of country we have, where someone can wake up one morning, call himself pastor or man of god, name his "church" one heavy title, and fools will be there to listen to him while they continue to stay poor or refuse to engage in a revolution

No one is even asking for revolution, just for people to get busy with their life and stop waiting on miracles.

Nothing can come out of Nothingness. Until one does something, he cannot expect to prosper because one stupid charlatan said so, just to keep you under his service.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by KingSango(m): 7:07pm On Dec 08, 2017
I hate to be the one to break the awful news to you all. But these prosperity pastors are closet gays, gay men do not build communities they destroy them. These pastors are Freemasons who pay your tithes to the lodges that gets filtered back to the pedophile Pope and his pedophile priesthood. The Vatican is super rich collecting tithes worldwide from All the denominations of Christianity.

Ase

Love Sango
Re: 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa by KingSango(m): 4:54pm On Dec 09, 2017
The Bible And Quran Both Lie; There Is No Jesus CHRIST by KingSango(m): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2016
KingSango:
Yes, they both support each other, the same way Europeans and Arabs enslaved Africa. And Arabs still enslave Africa and the Catholic Church runs Africa even scares many kings. Sango says, that's too bad. Sango feels sorry for no one. Grow stronger and become liberated. Ase.

The Bible lies about a Jesus Christ that never existed.

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” 3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written: 6 “ ‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’ ” 7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.” 9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. 12 And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.

The Quran lies about a Jesus Christ that never existed.

“(And mention) when the angels said, ‘O Mary, indeed God gives you the good news of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and in the Hereafter, and of those who are near to God.’ ‘He will speak to the people in the cradle, and in old age, and he will be of the righteous.’ She said, ‘My Lord, how can I have a son when no man has touched me.’ He said, ‘So (it will be,) for God creates what He wants. When He decides something, He only says to it, ‘Be,’ and it is. And He will teach him the Book and wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel. And (will make him) a messenger to the Children of Israel (saying), ‘Indeed I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I make for you out of clay the likeness of a bird, then breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by the permission of God. And I heal the blind and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by the permission of God. And I inform you of what you eat and what you store in your houses. Surely, there is a sign for you in that, if you are believers. And (I have come) confirming the Torah that was (revealed) before me, and to allow you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a proof from your Lord, so fear God and obey me. Indeed, God is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. This is the straight path.”

Historical evidence that proves “Jesus Christ” never existed and was created by Constantine (Romans) The Council of Nicea

- The Council that created Jesus Christ Unbiased Talk 25 April 2013 The origin of the “Savior” – Later becoming the person worshiped today as Jesus Christ Ptolemy 1 Meryamun Setepenre (c.a. 367-283 B.C.E- Before Common Era) (aka Soter) (“Soter” means savior) became the first European pharaoh of Egypt through military force led by Alexander the Greek (a.k.a Alexander the Great). When Ptolemy became pharaoh of Egypt, he wanted the Egyptians to consecrate him as a god. He wanted to be called a god because that was the title all of the pharaohs of Egypt were called prior to him. However, the people of Egypt refused to call him a god because they knew the only reason he became a pharaoh was through force, so in “305 BC -Ptolemy took the title of Pharaoh, taking the Egyptian name Meryamun Setepenre, which means “Beloved of Amun (Amun means God) Chosen of Ra (Ra means God)”, and because of the Egyptians refusal to acknowledge him as a God, he began killing the people of Egypt, which caused the Egyptian priests at Memphis to give into his request by agreeing to consecrate him to priesthood, in order to save their own lives.

The key words in the above passage to keep in mind during your reading: Meryamun, Setepenre, Soter, which are words that were used to create the fictitious character of JESUS CHRIST in A.D. by Roman Emperor Constantine (Meryamun, Setepenre, Soter were used in B.C.). The images of Ptolemy below, which are similar to the images that are depicted as “Jesus” today, were forced upon the Africans and were ordered to be worshiped by the people of Rome. Let us continue to A.D. Serapis Christus Greco Roman c.a 135 B.C.E. The marble image in the London museum is the image they use of Christ (Jesus) today. Christus was also the nickname for Serapis. What is Serapis? (Origin of JESUS CHRIST) Ptolemy’s rule was to create a deity that would be worshiped by both the Egyptians and the Greeks. He created “Serapis “, the made up Graeco-Egyptian god that was invented in the 3rd century B.C., portrayed as Greek in appearance, but with Egyptian accessories, representing both wealth and resurrection. “Egypt, which you commended to me my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent and continually wafted about by every breath of fame. The worshipers of Serapis here are called Christians and those who are devoted to the god Serapis (I find) call themselves Bishops of Christ.” - Hadrian to Servianus 134 A.D. Constantine and Arius Constantine the Greek (a.k.a Constantine the Great) Roman Emperor from 306 to 337, is known for being the first Roman emperor to be converted to Christianity which strangely enough, Arius of Libya (256-356 A.D.) born of African descent centuries after Ptolemy 1, had a problem with the Roman empire teaching the Africans and the people of Rome to worship a statue and celebrating death. He was considered a heretic, a professed believer (of God), who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church (what the religious authorities usually controlled by government deem as the truth). Because he started attracting so many followers due to his teachings that were contrary to the Romans, Constantine called the council by summoning all the bishops to discredit Arius, The Council of Nicaea. During the time when this meeting was called upon, there was no mention of Jesus Christ at all; no man had ever existed by the name JESUS Christ, and an important fact is that this all took place Anno Domino (A.D.) (which Christians claim means after the death of Christ) in Latin means ‘in the year of the lord’. The name Jesus Christ didn’t exist before the meeting was called (read the statements made during that time frame).

It was only after this that they presented to the people the name JESUS CHRIST. What Lord are they referring to? Kings have always been referred to as Lords or Gods. If Jesus Christ didn’t exist during the time this meeting took place nor ever heard of, whom are people worshiping today? Serapis Christus? Nicean Creed – Jesus Christ is born Nicean creed which became the statement of the Christian faith was written decreed and sanctified by 318 Roman Catholic bishops at the council in 325 A.D. (some believe this transformation took place “Council of Chalcedon” 451 A.D.). “We believe in one God the Father all-powerful of all things both seen and unseen one Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God the only begotten from the father, that is from the substance of the father, god from god, light from light, true god from true god, begotten not made, consubstantial with the father, through whom all things came to be both those in heaven and those in earth for us humans and for out salvation he came down and became incarnate became human suffered and rose up on the third day went up into the heavens is coming to judge the living and the dead and in the holy spirit” - The origin of the Trinity The authorities shut Arius down and threatened him with death to keep his mouth shut. They positioned the creed during the time when people started becoming aware of the lies and deception, and ordered all books to be burned; destroying all ancient writings, “no evidence no argument”, and the outcome was the transformation from Serapis Christus, which means Christ the Savior, to Jesus Christ by edict of Emperor Constantine in 325 A.D. Authors comment Christians, do your research. There may have been a man that walked the earth in the land known as Nazareth that attempted to guide the people back to righteousness, but, this man was not JESUS CHRIST. You see no mention of any man in Nazareth named JESUS mentioned during the meetings in Rome, or of a woman named Mary (the virgin) giving birth to a child named Jesus. This would explain why there is so much emphasis put on JESUS CHRIST in the bible, which further explains why God all of a sudden had to have a “son” (sun of God was turned to the son of God by Europeans, which is why every picture of Jesus has the sun behind his head. (Sun Ra, Sun of Ra (God)). The man you acknowledge as Jesus Christ of Nazareth was born in 4 BC; all of the above took place before that date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7Ne4nHLFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xylqq0GaGm4&t=323s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUVoAciJKOo&t=471s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xylqq0GaGm4

(1) (Reply)

Ministry Of Tea, Goats And 2019 Affairs By Mahmud Jega / Bike Crash: Aisha Buhari Thanks, Nigerians, Medical Team Working On Her Son / See What I Discovered About Illuminati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.