Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,019 members, 7,863,682 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:26 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (934964 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wiseoldman:
Hello House,

Please whats is the criteria for getting scholarship or tuition waiver from for MSC in MECH in US schools. I am asking to check my chances of getting one, as I feel I might be at a disadvantage due to the fact that I don't have a recent research experience. The MSC is for career movement into more technical roles (Design/Research). But the scholarship or some sort of funding would be required to make this move.

Profile:
1. First Class in Engineering.
2. 5 Year production engineering post uni work experience.
3. GRE (320)
4. TOEFL (108)
5. Recent research experience (This is where i have the concern, I don't have a recent research experience, I have 5 year old published paper though).

Please help with pointers and general advice to help build a solid admission case.

Merci.
Since your goal is career advancement into research or design. You should consider putting in some Phd applications too but don't do Phd just because of funding. You have a very good profile which can get you into top Phd programs. Your profile is what will get you a tuition waiver but note that most Phd programs in STEM are fully funded if you get an admit while you can have a stellar profile and not get funded for Msc due to one reason or the other. Also you should get into most Msc programs but funding might not be certain because some faculties want people on a long term basis. However, research well on schools and send emails to prospective Advisors. Make sure you introduce and sell yourself well. Here is a link to engineering schools ranking by US news https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwKmQy59LeEpUW5tbEZhRHJmR1U Go to mechanical engineering tab and check each school website to see which of them you would like to attend based on your criteria. Spread your risk well but make sure you shortlist tier 1 schools. Your lack of research experience is not an issue, admision committee review all aspects holistically and one stellar part can cushion one deficient part. People with little or no research experience get admitted and funded so have no worries. Your undergraduate project is also a research experience and you have a published paper which is a plus.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2018
Glowrie22:

It's a good school. What's your proposed course of study?

Human nutrition. What's their graduate assistantship like. Do they give tuition waiver and all that
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by temi4fash(m): 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Once it is submitted, it is submitted and it cannot be retrieved.

I don't understand the rush many potential applicants have in submitting their DS160s too early when it cannot be retrieved after submission. For reasons like this I always recommend that people do‎ not submit their DS160s too quickly until a few days to their interview to ensure that any mistakes made are corrected and all required information is entered to avoid having to submit, retrieve and update new ones several times.

You can't retrieve your submitted DS160 form but you can duplicate it and a new DS160 number will be assigned to you which you would need to update on your visa profile page. Visit the DS160 website, select Lagos or Abuja accordingly, enter the captcha code‎, click on retrieve application, enter your current DS160 number, enter your security questions. It would come up with 2 options: view submission page or so, or load a new application or so. Choose the second option, it would duplicate your current/submitted DS160 for you with all the info in it but with a new DS160 number. Now you can make necessary corrections to your new DS160. Do not forget to update the new DS160 number on your visa profile and reprint your interview appointment page bearing your new DS160 number or else you would be turned back at the embassy for the new DS160 number not matching with the old DS160 number on your initial visa appointment printout. Be sure to update your new DS160 number on your visa appointment profile at least 2 to 3 days in advance to your interview date.

For others still filling out their DS160s, do not be in a hurry to submit it too early. Chances are that you might forget to add something useful or you realize that you made a mistake somewhere etc. Be patient and submit it a few days to your interview to ensure sure that you have everything good and correct that you want on the form before submitting.

Goodluck

Please how do i schedule an interview without submitting the DS 160 form??

cc

Twoods

lagosismyhome

femi312

walspring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wuantilla: 6:28pm On Jun 02, 2018
LagosismyHome:

You no want make others learn or know what questions are current . .... please share your transcript

Transcript

VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning
VO: What program are you going for?
Me: A PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University, College Station
VO:What specific research are you going for in Mechanical Engineering
Me: Biomechanics
VO: Can you expantiate on what you’ll be doing in Biomechanics?
Me: Explained what Biomechanics was and my Thesis proposal
VO: Are you married?
Me: No
VO: Any children?
VO: Who’ll be sponsoring your education?
Me: My Dad
VO: What does he do?
Me: He’s a retired Operations manager from DPR, but also a distributor for Nestle Plc
VO: Your VISA has been approved. Please pick it up at the designated location. Have a nice day.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wuantilla: 6:30pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wuantilla:

Transcript

VO: What do you plan to do with this degree?
Me: I plan to return to Nigeria to work in academia as a lecturer
VO: Lecture where?
Me: University of Lagos
Me: He’s a retired Operations manager from DPR, but also a distributor for Nestle Plc
VO: Your VISA has been approved. Please pick it up at the designated location. Have a nice day.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wuantilla:

Transcript

So straight forward! No documents asked or those "why this" "why that" questions asked. Congratulations!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:47pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wuantilla:

Transcript

Me: A PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M .

Thanks for sharing

GOD bless your new journey

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glowrie22: 7:14pm On Jun 02, 2018
Gewezzy1:
Does it mean the school wouldn't be recognized by the VO

No it does not mean that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 7:34pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wuantilla:

Transcript

Congrats... Don't you have funding at all?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wuantilla: 8:22pm On Jun 02, 2018
Ubah1:

Congrats... Don't you have funding at all?

I received some stipend and a TA position.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tolatof: 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
Wuantilla:

I received some stipend and a TA position.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tolatof: 8:43pm On Jun 02, 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ZinoDaniels(m): 11:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
Please gurus in the house, how much is F1 SEVIS fee for USA in Nigerian naira
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 12:08am On Jun 03, 2018
[quote author=ZinoDaniels post=68127878]Please gurus in the house, how much is F1 SEVIS fee for USA in Nigerian naira

72,000 naira.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Joadez01(m): 12:15am On Jun 03, 2018
Hello house just got admission for masters in Business Administration and Management at American National University, Virginia USA. Please, how do I go about applying for scholarship and preparing for visa interview?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Joadez01(m): 12:43am On Jun 03, 2018
Hello house, Anyone studying or knows someone that studies at American National University, Virginia USA? just got admission for masters in Business Administration and Management at American National University, Virginia USA.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Beauideal: 1:01am On Jun 03, 2018
Tiana94:
Hi love. I attend TAMUC. Business Analytics department. It's an amazing school. Amazing beyond words. I had plans of changing schools. But I decided otherwise.
You won't regret TAMUC. The only challenge is the transportation issue. First thing you do as soon as you arrive is to get a car.

I started spring this year. And I work as a graduate assistant. I earn about $1100 working 20 hours a week. And i also pay instate tuition. I am also expecting 2 scholarships later this year.
Cost of living in commerce is less than 500 dollars a month. And if you don't want to live in commerce, you can always live in Dallas and shuttle.

I promise you would love it here.

Take care and good luck❤

Hello Tiana I just got admitted into Texas A and M Commerce for Masters in Business Analytics also but I was surprised to see its Management Sciences and Quantitative methods in my I20 though i contacted the school and was told that's the code for BA

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Beauideal: 1:06am On Jun 03, 2018
Tiana94:
Hi love. I attend TAMUC. Business Analytics department. It's an amazing school. Amazing beyond words. I had plans of changing schools. But I decided otherwise.
You won't regret TAMUC. The only challenge is the transportation issue. First thing you do as soon as you arrive is to get a car.

I started spring this year. And I work as a graduate assistant. I earn about $1100 working 20 hours a week. And i also pay instate tuition. I am also expecting 2 scholarships later this year.
Cost of living in commerce is less than 500 dollars a month. And if you don't want to live in commerce, you can always live in Dallas and shuttle.

I promise you would love it here.

Take care and good luck❤

And currently because my school delayed my transcript for more than 3months I couldn't get any GA positions any chances I would be able to get when I get to sch? Or would u advise I shift my admission to Spring if that's possible? What do u think pls.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glowrie22: 2:46am On Jun 03, 2018
TravelDrim:

Human nutrition. What's their graduate assistantship like. Do they give tuition waiver and all that

I'm on an assistantship, and yes it does come with a tuition waiver and a stipend. I don't know anything about your department but yes, a lot of the departments do have GAs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 4:59am On Jun 03, 2018
Joadez01:
Hello house just got admission for masters in Business Administration and Management at American National University, Virginia USA. Please, how do I go about applying for scholarship and preparing for visa interview?

Just checked this school of yours, No ranking. What happened to over 2000 ranked schools in USA? How did you even hear about the school shocked . Let's try and make things easier for us

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by winterstorm: 7:22am On Jun 03, 2018
ZinoDaniels:
Please gurus in the house, how much is F1 SEVIS fee for USA in Nigerian naira

If you can get someone to pay for you in the state 72,000 or a little more is okay. However, if you plan to pay in Eco Bank Seme branch, make sure to go with 85,000 for that exchange and an additional 7 to10,000.
[/b] Note[/b]
Go with 90,000 (in Naira)
Not the EcoBank on the Nigerian side.
Make sure to print out your coupon number and take it with you. (To avoid oke afufu [too much suffering])
Take your passport with you.
Beware of agents that charge additional 20 to 30,000 to make the payment for you in Nigeria.
It could just be a waste of your time, money..... and time. cheesy grin
You don't want to do that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sheq: 8:11am On Jun 03, 2018
Hello everyone .Good morning. I have gone through the pages but i have certain questions which i didnt find answers to:

I want to apply to study a masters in forensic accounting or taxation' graduated 2017 with a 4.38gpa.

Please what schools give scholarships? And what criteria is used

And what schools make you study on student loan and on what criteria please?

Is GMAT test alone okay for a business student

And please what schools do you trully recommend.....thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sheq: 8:29am On Jun 03, 2018
Olalekank:

Send me a message on whatsapp at my signature. I have a link containing the SAT materials for free. There's also a SAT group where you can get all the info you need!

Also note that your OND isn't gonna fly for MSC if I'm right.
hello good day...can you please help me with this ...thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 03, 2018
Glowrie22:

I'm on an assistantship, and yes it does come with a tuition waiver and a stipend. I don't know anything about your department but yes, a lot of the departments do have GAs.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olalekank(m): 9:14am On Jun 03, 2018
Sheq:
hello good day...can you please help me with this ...thank you
Send me a message @ 08179469614
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lextube: 9:19am On Jun 03, 2018
Thank you very much. I will check them at once.

lasthero:

The following school has a minimum cgpa requirement of 2.5 /4.0 for regular admission.

Minot state University,
University of Central Missouri,
Alcorn state University,
Central state University Ohio.

You can use Google to research more schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lextube: 9:26am On Jun 03, 2018
Secondly before I forget, I want to ask the house if anybody knows anything about National University San Diego CA. From what I got online, it's the second largest private University in the whole of America.

I'm seeking to know if anybody knows anyone that may have attended the school so that he may share
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lextube: 9:26am On Jun 03, 2018
Secondly before I forget, I want to ask the house if anybody knows anything about National University San Diego CA. From what I got online, it's the second largest private University in the whole of America.

I'm seeking to know if anybody knows anyone that may have attended the school so that he may share with me.

Also how acceptable it may be at the U.S Embassy. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sheq: 10:01am On Jun 03, 2018
Olalekank:

Send me a message @ 08179469614
thank you ..i will
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 11:38am On Jun 03, 2018
lasthero:

The following school has a minimum cgpa requirement of 2.5 /4.0 for regular admission.

Minot state University,
University of Central Missouri,
Alcorn state University,
Central state University Ohio.

You can use Google to research more schools.
Hello bro, did you submit the GA application as part of your ASU application and did the admission come together with funding? Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Beauideal: 11:57am On Jun 03, 2018
Pls how do I book an appointment without filling DS160 form.

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (514)

QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Studying In Finland (free Tuition)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.