Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (917253 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2018
TWoods:

Also, there is only so much executive orders can do. The OPT and H1B are enshrined in law and only congress can make substantive changes to them. The president can tighten a few screws with executive orders here and there but there is a limit to his power. Left to Trump, the diversity visa lottery system would long have ended and you would no longer be able to petition for an immigrant visa for relatives... but again, this requires legislative change and there is nothing he can do to this. This is not the Buhari government.
Twoods has spoken. It is what it is.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by subset(m): 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
This is my POE experience

I flew Emirates and I think the pay was worth it.My flight was scheduled to leave Nigeria to Dubai by 6:50pm on 8th Jan to arrive US on the 9th. I checked in online a day before and I think it helped alot.  I got to airport around 4:30pm thinking I was very early but to my surprise the boarding pass queue was as long as the people checking in. I somehow managed to bypass the queue without weighing my two big boxes - Huge mistake*

I was turned back at the place I was suppose to collect the boarding pass because one of the boxes was weighing 28.3kg. Tense started crippling in because they have started rushing everything at this point. However, the other box was weighing 21.2kg. so I had to unpack somethings from the over weighted box to the other box and to my back pack (the hand luggage) to balance the weights among all the luggages and I got each box to weigh approximately 23kg.

By the time I got back to collect the boarding pass they were almost closing the counter and I was the last person. Chai. I hate rush for my life,  all the adrenaline in my blood became super active. I was sweating like Christmas goat cry

Please if you can afford to pack all your loads in a box instead of using Ghana must go. Please do. I got a new box the morning I was traveling and unpacked my loads in Ghana must go in it. It was good decision because I was alone and dragging the two boxes didn't give me issues. I just dey imagine wetin for happen if na Ghana must go. Also, if you don't intend to make use of your laptop on the trip, abeg pack it in the check-in box. I can't count how many times I had to bring out the laptop from my stuffed back pack for check-in. It's not worth the stress of unpacking and packing all the time

Aboard Emirates, the flight was smooth. Their foods and drinks go well. Some no gree me eat sha..dem be like parboiled beans and sliced raw tomato.
We landed at exactly 4:33am at Dubai. I took a train to terminal 3 carcus A and stayed waiting for the next flight by 11:50am. Bought tooth paste and brushed my teeth and also got something to eat. Dubai airport is just on another level. I can't find words to describe it. It's very massive. I typed most of the experiences from Nigeria up to this point while I was waiting for the connecting flight to Newark. I slept for a while and made sure I set alarm on my two phones - me and sleep na 5 & 6. I can sleep for Africa. By the way I was wearing just a long sleeve shirt- big mistake* by the time I woke up after about an hour of sleep my lungs had started dancing and I was literally shaking. The cold inside the airport has penetrated into every bone in my body. I should have tied one of the cardigans on my waist for times like this. We spent 6hours 45mins in Dubai. There was no hotel accommodation and you are not allowed to leave the airport, so for most part I was window shopping.

On towards New jersey, check-in started around 10:30am and we left exactly 11:50am. Minor checking was done here as I expected a more thorough one from what I heard. The flight was as smooth as the first one and the usual meals were served. From what I experienced it seems taking off and landing is the most dreaded part of flying for most people. I don't know why it's like that though.

We had another stop over at Athens, Greece where we obtained a new boarding pass. I believe this is our Point of entry because I wasn't asked a single question when we got to Newark airport. The questions at Anthens were very straight forward:

Officer: you're coming from Nigeria
Me: yes
Officer:You are a student ?
Me: Yes,
Officer: can I see your i20?
Me: Brought out my envelop and gave it to him
Officer: what course are you going to study? While looking at the i20
Me: software engineering
Officer: how long is the program
Me: 2 years
Officer: Signed on my boarding pass and said "show your passport to the officer behind one more time"
Me: walked towards the office and handed over the papers
Officer: you'll go through further screening from the united States bla bla... I'll give you your passport after the screening
Me: ok, that's fine

I was called over by the guy doing the screening. He searched my back pack and did all the biometric scans. The whole thing took less than 5mins and my passport was handed back to me.

I booked an Airbnb apartment for 2 days that's close to school from Nigeria before I left. When I got to Newark airport, I tried to get a cab to the accommodation which was about 40mins drive away. I got the shock of my life when they told me the least price I can get to that place is $110. Whaaat! No way I'm going to pay over ₦36,000 for taxi. I checked uber, the price estimate I saw was about $76 for uber pool but I couldn't order an uber because it's linked to my Nigerian card and they don't accept cash trips. Chai!!
Meanwhile I told the Airbnb guy I was going to stay at his place what's happening. He offered to come pick me for $50 and that's how I managed to cut down the cost. He even gave me free ride to school the next day. Really cool guy

I have been in the States for five days now and it's been going well so far.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 3:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
kenneth4000:
Which university in usa can accept 2.96/4 Gpa for master program in engineering
Good question grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 4:13pm On Jan 15, 2018
Beautyaddy:

Nigerians applying for student visas are not that only ones experiencing the extra drilling and maybe denials lately. It is happening with most countries that have been recorded with high rates of abusing the student visas by either dropping out of school once they get to the US or end up not returning back to their country even after completing the degrees they were given the visas for.

Most if not all the student visas applicants have mentioned it to the visa officers that they planned to return back to their country after completion of their studies in the US and how many so far have done so? Very little to none.

You think VOs don't know this already? Btw..a VO's job involves determining if you already have an intent to emigrate coming to the interview. That you make that decision later is not their concern as far as I know. If statistics start showing that more people are abandoning their education which is the main reason for getting the visa, then that might translate to more drilling as to determining who's a genuine student and who's not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 4:15pm On Jan 15, 2018
imperiouxx:

Hi. I will let you know when we can meet. Right now I'm staying in this hotel in Tonawanda till I can secure an apartment in Allenton.

Bro. I'm actually not in the area now, but will let you know when I come around.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 15, 2018
Congrats on your experience subset .... So why didn't emirates provide you with accommodation? did you sleep where? .... How are u making arrangements for permanent accommodation...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 6:16pm On Jan 15, 2018
tactmayor:
Bro tanx for the link you sent and I have checked them up to number 57. All i needed for asking the question was to get an experienced person's view because there are some things that will not be stated on the school's websites. You guys should not always assume that asking questions means one is not serious or just wants to run away. And 2019 has been part of my plans before.
No one can know for a fact that there is funding in a particular school, even current students in that particular school can only speculate. Your best best is to take your time and shortlist (like 30) as many schools as possible that meets your dreams and research options. Then start sending emails to grad cord in each school to inquire about funding and research opportunities. You can also contact some few faculties in each school, their responses will guide your decision. Some will tell you they dont have funding, some will encourage you to apply and some wont reply at all. This advice will only work well for you if you plan for Spring 2019/Fall 2019 (Fall semester is the best) because you dont have time for that anymore now. Goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 6:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
Tanx for the comment bro
femi312:
No one can know for a fact that there is funding in a particular school, even current students in that particular school can only speculate. Your best best is to take your time and shortlist (like 30) as many schools as possible that meets your dreams and research options. Then start sending emails to grad cord in each school to inquire about funding and research opportunities. You can also contact some few faculties in each school, their responses will guide your decision. Some will tell you they dont have funding, some will encourage you to apply and some wont reply at all. This advice will only work well for you if you plan for Spring 2019/Fall 2019 (Fall semester is the best) because you dont have time for that anymore now. Goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by princeGee23: 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2018
Believe me, they didn't judged you on unpalatable assumptions, they only figure out and gave you the best advise they can give to there bro. I have been on this thread for long time and during my research simple google.com with different phrase brought a lot of answer that I went thru then when I came here I saw most of the links google gave me and I went thru most of the school on the list. Femi321 told you he went through like 100 school and I did same if not more self and this also increase my confidence during my interview while talking to VO, because it showed that I knew what I was saying. FYI the school I am in is still not really known by most of the gurus on NL here but I chose it based on what I want only. The experience and job prospect of the school is making me happy that I finally settle for the school out of my options. You are the only person that can decided the best for yourself. Don't attack anyone of the gurus here. They are really trying there best.
Cheers

tactmayor:
I simply said 2018 or 2019. Most good schools' applications for 2019 has not closed. Also, i have searched schools myself and I found the school i applied to myself even before it was suggested to me and before the deadline passed. All I needed here was your own suggestion on the issue because you are an experienced person and you might know people who applied to some schools and were not given funding because of some restrictions or schools where one can get the very best chances of funding due to the experience you have had with people. You just judged and based your comments on unpalatable assumptions.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by princeGee23: 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2018
Oya try msinus.com too, you should get good schools from there but you still have to go through the schools website yourself and email there corresponding coordinator. All the best

tactmayor:
Tanx for the comment bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2018
Aiit bro
princeGee23:
Believe me, they didn't judged you on unpalatable assumptions, they only figure out and gave you the best advise they can give to there bro. I have been on this thread for long time and during my research simple google.com with different phrase brought a lot of answer that I went thru then when I came here I saw most of the links google gave me and I went thru most of the school on the list. Femi321 told you he went through like 100 school and I did same if not more self and this also increase my confidence during my interview while talking to VO, because it showed that I knew what I was saying. FYI the school I am in is still not really known by most of the gurus on NL here but I chose it based on what I want only. The experience and job prospect of the school is making me happy that I finally settle for the school out of my options. You are the only person that can decided the best for yourself. Don't attack anyone of the gurus here. They are really trying there best.
Cheers

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tactmayor: 8:54pm On Jan 15, 2018
Thanks...will do dat
princeGee23:
Oya try msinus.com too, you should get good schools from there but you still have to go through the schools website yourself and email there corresponding coordinator. All the best

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 9:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
biikeys:

Bro. I'm actually not in the area now, but will let you know when I come around.

Ok. Keep me posted.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Lovelywings: 9:37pm On Jan 15, 2018
TWoods:

You're being unnecessarily alarmist. People should feel free to come here and study. The H1B visa has not changed and is not likely to change much... the difference is that the visa is now being applied more stringently. The H1B was meant to be for people with rare skills. Unfortunately it's been abused by mostly IT companies who have been using it to bring in low skilled cheap labor from India. There are two reasons the H1B appears to be getting more difficult:
1. Unlike before where renewals of H1Bs was almost a given, now each renewal is now treated as a fresh application.
2. they are now scrutinizing H1Bs to ensure that it is indeed going to the best and brightest - for example, does your job REALLY require an advanced skill? Are you being paid wages commensurate with your skill? The folks who are getting hit the hardest are Indian IT companies who now have to justify every single cheap labor H1B.

Don't forget also, there are literally thousands of H1B folks here. Considering that the feds have been in a hiring freeze for a while, it is getting more difficult to process each application/renewal in record time.

This goes back to a lot of the advice I've given here before that folks like to dismiss - apply and get in to top schools! Go for degrees that are in demand (not social work and criminal justice), degrees that guarantee you a skilled job that American employers are seeking to fill. If a top US employer is looking to hire you with top pay, there is no executive order that can stop you. If you attended a 1-building school to earn a masters in English... well sorry. You get what you get.

Also, there is only so much executive orders can do. The OPT and H1B are enshrined in law and only congress can make substantive changes to them. The president can tighten a few screws with executive orders here and there but there is a limit to his power. Left to Trump, the diversity visa lottery system would long have ended and you would no longer be able to petition for an immigrant visa for relatives... but again, this requires legislative change and there is nothing he can do to this. This is not the Buhari government.

Am I being alarmist? I'm sure the jews who warned other jews to leave germany during Hitler's rise to power were also "alarmist." grin I'm not saying Trump is Hitler o. My point is that no one in the US government is going to come to you and tell you in detail how they are going to make life difficult for you as a potential immigrant. It is up to you to read the signs and understand the times ahead of time, before the bad stuff actually happens.

Not sure what Buhari has to do with anything - I've lived in the US for over a decade, including on h1b visas, and have no idea what the Buhari government is like. I am telling people what is going on, and took the time to provide evidence through reputable news sources. I notice you haven't provided any evidence for your claims, beyond your own say-so.

I should however address the bolded above because it really is misleading. The H1B visa is essentially a lottery. You realize that right? It does not matter if Google or Morgan Stanley wants to hire you if you don't win the lottery. The people exempt from the lottery (especially at masters level) have to be working for nonprofits (which is how I got my own h1B).

https://redbus2us.com/news-uscis-completes-h1b-2018-lottery-199k-petitions-received/

Its also illuminating that your advice to people is to get into "top schools" and to choose degrees that are in demand (such as IT and finance, I presume). I say interesting, as there are countries (like Canada) where you don't actually have to be extraordinary and study only science-related degrees in the top schools, and your parents don't have to pay the high US tuition fees to possibly get to work longer than 1 year of OPT. The way I see it, people have two options 1) prove that you are extraordinary and worthwhile enough to be granted a H1B work visa in the US as a graduate, OR 2) prove that you graduated, are smart and can work hard, and learned things from your degree to be granted a work visa and permanent residency in Canada as a graduate. Which one is better for your health, self-esteem and long-term stability? Which one carries the least risK?

Anyway, I have said my piece. It is up to the individual to decide what they want to do. But they certainly can't claim that "nobody told me" how hard it will be.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Yrey: 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm new here please I'd like to school in the US. I studied Bsc nursing with a cgpa of 2.2 /5.0. Would have loved going for a graduate certificate course bit it seems my gpa is really limiting me. In order words I think I may just settle for a bachelors. My choice of course is health informatics. Please I need advice on every.... Choice of school, fair tution etc
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:17pm On Jan 15, 2018
Lovelywings:

I should however address the bolded above because it really is misleading. The H1B visa is essentially a lottery. You realize that right? It does not matter if Google or Morgan Stanley wants to hire you if you don't win the lottery. The people exempt from the lottery (especially at masters level) have to be working for nonprofits (which is how I got my own h1B).

https://redbus2us.com/news-uscis-completes-h1b-2018-lottery-199k-petitions-received/

Having obtained two h1bs, both cap h1bs, myself, I think I know that it is a lottery. It is a lottery because that was the only option the USCIS could come up with since the cap was exceeded every year. Remove the filings from Indian IT firms and the lottery goes away. How do I know? There was no lottery in 2010 when I obtained my first h1b. You applied and got approved in 2 months flat.

My point wasn’t misleading at all, you either did not understand it or you just want to be contrarian, to show that you-too-know.

I made the point that if a top US employer wants you and you have the requisite skills, they will get you. You can directly apply for a green card during your OPT without ever needing an h1b. A lot of European postdocs do this. No executive order can change that process, it is the law.

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bigfamo(m): 10:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
Johnolukolade:
@bigfamo, have you left smiley
Am still around sir... Hopefully next week
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
Yrey:
Hello everyone. I'm new here please I'd like to school in the US. I studied Bsc nursing with a cgpa of 2.2 /5.0. Would have loved going for a graduate certificate course bit it seems my gpa is really limiting me. In order words I think I may just settle for a bachelors. My choice of course is health informatics. Please I need advice on every.... Choice of school, fair tution etc

Newcomer you have lots of work to do as regards your good intents to further your studies in the US. First and foremost, your transcript need to be evaluated by either WES or ECE . I would advise you go for wes.org
Secondly, you should make google your best friend and search for schools that meet your research interest/your cgpa range.
Thirdly, prepare and sit for standardized test like the GRE to improve your chances of admit.
Finally, why go for a second bachelor's while you can proceed to MS IF you carefully adhere to the aforementioned?.
Good luck!

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gospelozy(f): 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
princeGee23:
Do you think, we are here to play? People like you will allow Twood to hammer you.

I don't understand you Princegee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by felix1408: 12:10am On Jan 16, 2018
Hello guys,
Please I need your help, I'm filling my F1 visa application. I just completed my NYSC November 2017 but in the work experience I chose Not Employed. Do I need to fill my IT and NYSC PPA as my previous work experience? I need answer as soon as possible

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 12:26am On Jan 16, 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kallowdean(m): 12:28am On Jan 16, 2018
Bro, I will advise you fill it.
It is an advantage or plus... 'Not employed' is not nice to some people hearing !!!

felix1408:
Hello guys,
Please I need your help, I'm filling my F1 visa application. I just completed my NYSC November 2017 but in the work experience I chose Not Employed. Do I need to fill my IT and NYSC PPA as my previous work experience? I need answer as soon as possible

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kallowdean(m): 12:31am On Jan 16, 2018
Certainly, there is a connection. for me: Communication works with Technology. And Information plus Media is established in Both.
Just understand your background well and furnish your future goal. P
Prove to anyone in front of you that you know what you wanna study and achieve!

sunshineluv5:
good day house please for the mass media communication majors or anyone that's got an idea,although i have made my own research but i dont want to fall into any vo's trap.Please is there a connection between MASS MEDIA COMMUNICATION and INFORMATION MEDIA TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION? criticism is allowed.Oga twoods mr femi and the rest please i need your take on this thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Biggy911(m): 12:51am On Jan 16, 2018
Hello to those in the USA, (Walspring, imperiux, Lagosismyhome

My wife (F2 Visa Holder) is coming to the USA next month to join me (Am F1 Visa Holder). She is pregnant (5 months).

Apart from my I-20 that stipulates I have Graduate Assistantship funding from my University, I hope she does not have to hold any additional document at the POE?

Any advice from experienced people here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Lovelywings: 1:18am On Jan 16, 2018
TWoods:

Having obtained two h1bs, both cap h1bs, myself, I think I know that it is a lottery. It is a lottery because that was the only option the USCIS could come up with since the cap was exceeded every year. Remove the filings from Indian IT firms and the lottery goes away. How do I know? There was no lottery in 2010 when I obtained my first h1b. You applied and got approved in 2 months flat.

My point wasn’t misleading at all, you either did not understand it or you just want to be contrarian, to show that you-too-know.

I made the point that if a top US employer wants you and you have the requisite skills, they will get you. You can directly apply for a green card during your OPT without ever needing an h1b. A lot of European postdocs do this. No executive order can change that process, it is the law.

I did understand your point, and was saying that an executive order isn't even needed because the H1B Visa process will wean most people out. So far, you've called me unnecessarily alarmist, contrarian and "too know". Not my arguments, but me as a person. Any more veiled insults you want to lob at me?

I'm sorry but using the European post-doc (aliens of extraordinary ability) as an example is misleading because in order to sponsor yourself for a GC you have to prove that you are an extraordinary alien and I guarantee you that no one on this board fits the bill. If they did, they would'nt be looking to Nairaland for advice. One of my more senior coworkers did this - she had to send newspaper articles written about her, as one of the first Kenyan women to get a PhD, and had household name leaders within our sector to write letters saying she was demonstrably a unique expert in her field. This is the track that people like Lupita Nyongo and the like use to get a green card.

http://curranberger.com/achievement-based/overview-applying-for-a-green-card-without-an-employer-sponsor/

I don't think its fair to imply that this is a viable option for people.

Clearly you have some experience with the US system. But clearly so do I. We can agree to disagree. My disagreeing with you does not make me contrarian (that implies you are the expert grin). It means I have a slightly different experience than you do.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 1:44am On Jan 16, 2018
Lovelywings:

I did understand your point, and was saying that an executive order isn't even needed because the H1B Visa process will wean most people out. So far, you've called me unnecessarily alarmist, contrarian and "too know". Not my arguments, but me as a person. Any more veiled insults you want to lob at me?

I'm sorry but using the European post-doc (aliens of extraordinary ability) as an example is misleading because in order to sponsor yourself for a GC you have to prove that you are an extraordinary alien and I guarantee you that no one on this board fits the bill. If they did, they would'nt be looking to Nairaland for advice. One of my more senior coworkers did this - she had to send newspaper articles written about her, as one of the first Kenyan women to get a PhD, and had household name leaders within our sector to write letters saying she was demonstrably a unique expert in her field. This is the track that people like Lupita Nyongo and the like use to get a green card.

http://curranberger.com/achievement-based/overview-applying-for-a-green-card-without-an-employer-sponsor/

I don't think its fair to imply that this is a viable option for people.

Clearly you have some experience with the US system. But clearly so do I. We can agree to disagree. My disagreeing with you does not make me contrarian (that implies you are the expert grin). It means I have a slightly different experience than you do.

Lovelywings leave our Twoods for us o. He has been giving us expert advice for a while now.. if you vex him and he stops writing on this thread can you fill the void that he will leave... better leave our Twoods o. Shey you will not come and be going. But on a serious note. Can I finish my MSC in the USA and get a job in Canada? This trump wahala is too much sef. Please reply o.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:37am On Jan 16, 2018
k199192:

Can I finish my MSC in the USA and get a job in Canada? This trump wahala is too much sef. Please reply o.

It always good to have a backup plan .... when i was a student I knew over 20 Nigerians who did the canada thing just as a backup with hardly any intention of using it

Then came the finanical crises when many people lost their h1b status and job. Having that backup came so handy and a lot have moved to Canada. Some have their citizenship now and have ported back to the US . .. I always recommend having this back up specifically .

13 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by subset(m): 3:21am On Jan 16, 2018
Chukason1:
Congrats on your experience subset .... So why didn't emirates provide you with accommodation?
According to their rep I spoke on the phone with prior to the trip, he said they only provide an hotel accommodation when the lay over is above 8hours.

Chukason1:
did you sleep where? ....
I simply sat and laid my head on a trolley and dozed off. It was just about hour sleep

Chukason1:
How are u making arrangements for permanent accommodation...
The Airbnb apartment I booked was for 2 days, so after my stay expired the school offered me a temporary accommodation for few days till I find a place. I have been on the hunt for accommodation but haven't gotten a place yet but I'm pretty close to getting one. I have some places I'll be seeing tomorrow. I hope it works out else I may have to book another Airbnb as the school temporary accommodation expires today.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 3:51am On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:

My wife (F2 Visa Holder) is coming to the USA next month to join me (Am F1 Visa Holder). She is pregnant (5 months).

Apart from my I-20 that stipulates I have Graduate Assistantship funding from my University, I hope she does not have to hold any additional document at the POE?

Any advice from experienced people here

Nawa o! You got what you needed here without giving back to others. Your visa transcript has been loading since June 2017. You want us to give you information and withholding yours. World people in the voice of ........... grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by princeGee23: 4:13am On Jan 16, 2018
You forgot to tell us about the uber you took from your house to airport in Nigeria and the number of people that followed you down to airport. You didn't tell us what u packaged in your luggage too.

subset:
This is my POE experience

I flew Emirates and I think the pay was worth it.My flight was scheduled to leave Nigeria to Dubai by 6:50pm on 8th Jan to arrive US on the 9th. I checked in online a day before and I think it helped alot.  I got to airport around 4:30pm thinking I was very early but to my surprise the boarding pass queue was as long as the people checking in. I somehow managed to bypass the queue without weighing my two big boxes - Huge mistake*

I was turned back at the place I was suppose to collect the boarding pass because one of the boxes was weighing 28.3kg. Tense started crippling in because they have started rushing everything at this point. However, the other box was weighing 21.2kg. so I had to unpack somethings from the over weighted box to the other box and to my back pack (the hand luggage) to balance the weights among all the luggages and I got each box to weigh approximately 23kg.

By the time I got back to collect the boarding pass they were almost closing the counter and I was the last person. Chai. I hate rush for my life,  all the adrenaline in my blood became super active. I was sweating like Christmas goat cry

Please if you can afford to pack all your loads in a box instead of using Ghana must go. Please do. I got a new box the morning I was traveling and unpacked my loads in Ghana must go in it. It was good decision because I was alone and dragging the two boxes didn't give me issues. I just dey imagine wetin for happen if na Ghana must go. Also, if you don't intend to make use of your laptop on the trip, abeg pack it in the check-in box. I can't count how many times I had to bring out the laptop from my stuffed back pack for check-in. It's not worth the stress of unpacking and packing all the time

Aboard Emirates, the flight was smooth. Their foods and drinks go well. Some no gree me eat sha..dem be like parboiled beans and sliced raw tomato.
We landed at exactly 4:33am at Dubai. I took a train to terminal 3 carcus A and stayed waiting for the next flight by 11:50am. Bought tooth paste and brushed my teeth and also got something to eat. Dubai airport is just on another level. I can't find words to describe it. It's very massive. I typed most of the experiences from Nigeria up to this point while I was waiting for the connecting flight to Newark. I slept for a while and made sure I set alarm on my two phones - me and sleep na 5 & 6. I can sleep for Africa. By the way I was wearing just a long sleeve shirt- big mistake* by the time I woke up after about an hour of sleep my lungs had started dancing and I was literally shaking. The cold inside the airport has penetrated into every bone in my body. I should have tied one of the cardigans on my waist for times like this. We spent 6hours 45mins in Dubai. There was no hotel accommodation and you are not allowed to leave the airport, so for most part I was window shopping.

On towards New jersey, check-in started around 10:30am and we left exactly 11:50am. Minor checking was done here as I expected a more thorough one from what I heard. The flight was as smooth as the first one and the usual meals were served. From what I experienced it seems taking off and landing is the most dreaded part of flying for most people. I don't know why it's like that though.

We had another stop over at Athens, Greece where we obtained a new boarding pass. I believe this is our Point of entry because I wasn't asked a single question when we got to Newark airport. The questions at Anthens were very straight forward:

Officer: you're coming from Nigeria
Me: yes
Officer:You are a student ?
Me: Yes,
Officer: can I see your i20?
Me: Brought out my envelop and gave it to him
Officer: what course are you going to study? While looking at the i20
Me: software engineering
Officer: how long is the program
Me: 2 years
Officer: Signed on my boarding pass and said "show your passport to the officer behind one more time"
Me: walked towards the office and handed over the papers
Officer: you'll go through further screening from the united States bla bla... I'll give you your passport after the screening
Me: ok, that's fine

I was called over by the guy doing the screening. He searched my back pack and did all the biometric scans. The whole thing took less than 5mins and my passport was handed back to me.

I booked an Airbnb apartment for 2 days that's close to school from Nigeria before I left. When I got to Newark airport, I tried to get a cab to the accommodation which was about 40mins drive away. I got the shock of my life when they told me the least price I can get to that place is $110. Whaaat! No way I'm going to pay over ₦36,000 for taxi. I checked uber, the price estimate I saw was about $76 for uber pool but I couldn't order an uber because it's linked to my Nigerian card and they don't accept cash trips. Chai!!
Meanwhile I told the Airbnb guy I was going to stay at his place what's happening. He offered to come pick me for $50 and that's how I managed to cut down the cost. He even gave me free ride to school the next day. Really cool guy

I have been in the States for five days now and it's been going well so far.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by princeGee23: 4:24am On Jan 16, 2018
Sister, please what are the steps for the backup plan? #NoTime

LagosismyHome:

It always good to have a backup plan .... when i was a student I knew over 20 Nigerians who did the canada thing just as a backup with hardly any intention of using it

Then came the finanical crises when many people lost their h1b status and job. Having that backup came so handy and a lot have moved to Canada. Some have their citizenship now and have ported back to the US . .. I always recommend having this back up specifically .

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Biggy911(m): 5:59am On Jan 16, 2018

Any advice

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.