Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,277 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (917220 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by BigBUMBUM: 6:08am On Jan 16, 2018
BigBUMBUM:
Please guys i wanna use another source to help finance my education like student loan will it be indicated in my sevis ? also will it affect my chances of getting my visa renewed ?
Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 6:45am On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:
Hello to those in the USA, (Walspring, imperiux, Lagosismyhome
My wife (F2 Visa Holder) is coming to the USA next month to join me (Am F1 Visa Holder). She is pregnant (5 months).
Apart from my I-20 that stipulates I have Graduate Assistantship funding from my University, I hope she does not have to hold any additional document at the POE?

Any advice
wow!.. A poorly paid (compared to the national average) grad student has a pregnant wife coming over as a dependant; you do know how much Natural birthing is in the states abi grin grin grin. Who is footing the bill, How would you cater for a post pregnant woman, a new born, and still focus on school. There are lots of things that may, and will come up at the POE, plenty things!!!! cheesy Twoods, what sayest thou grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kallowdean(m): 7:00am On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:
My wife (F2 Visa Holder) is coming to the USA next month to join me (Am F1 Visa Holder). She is pregnant (5 months).
Apart from my I-20 that stipulates I have Graduate Assistantship funding from my University, I hope she does not have to hold any additional document at the POE?

Any advice

Well, it is an F2 Visa and they know the spouse is going to meet the husband which is F1. Pregnancy is not a point to deny F2 entry at all. see link below and digest. even those on visiting visa don't always get POE issues let alone F2 visa that is a dependent and not visiting that is a tourist and expected to leave quick. As per document, tell your spouse to hold the I-20 reflecting the funding and also try show you have health insurance in the US. You may decide to add your spouse to the insurance when she enters.

For me, I think she is safe...
The Experts and senior Gurus in the house can add more:
(@walspring, @Lagosismyhome, @Twoods, @imperiux)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/can-i-visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-what-are-the-risks-involved%3F

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:55am On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:

Any advice

You know me I always have issues with people who take and dont give back..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adesunloye11(m): 9:21am On Jan 16, 2018
LagosismyHome:

It always good to have a backup plan .... when i was a student I knew over 20 Nigerians who did the canada thing just as a backup with hardly any intention of using it

Then came the finanical crises when many people lost their h1b status and job. Having that backup came so handy and a lot have moved to Canada. Some have their citizenship now and have ported back to the US . .. I always recommend having this back up specifically .
. Waiting to know more about this backup process
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:16am On Jan 16, 2018
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
wow!.. A poorly paid (compared to the national average) grad student has a pregnant wife coming over as a dependant; you do know how much Natural birthing is in the states abi grin grin grin. Who is footing the bill, How would you cater for a post pregnant woman, a new born, and still focus on school. There are lots of things that may, and will come up at the POE, plenty things!!!! cheesy Twoods, what sayest thou grin

Thankfully the US process does not discriminate against pregnancy or family life ............ There are many working mothers or schooling mothers out there who cope with a newborn and same with New or existing fathers so this is a normal scenario . Millions have coped before him and millions will cope after . F2 Visa was also put to cover family life and dependant
Biggy911 you be fine

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 11:07am On Jan 16, 2018
kallowdean:
Certainly, there is a connection. for me: Communication works with Technology. And Information plus Media is established in Both.
Just understand your background well and furnish your future goal. P
Prove to anyone in front of you that you know what you wanna study and achieve!

Thanks bro infact you have built up my confidence.Please bro i would like you to help me review my sop once I'm done with it thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:07am On Jan 16, 2018
adesunloye11:
. Waiting to know more about this backup process

princeGee23:
Sister, please what are the steps for the backup plan? #NoTime
Check google and read about PR Canada express entry program or provisional nominee

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Andre79(m): 11:09am On Jan 16, 2018
Hello landers... anyone here applied to FIU for Summer 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:12am On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:

Any advice

Put your wife under your health insurance or a health insurance and let her travel with that evidence or any extra evidence to show financial ability

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tolulope87: 11:18am On Jan 16, 2018
please when can someone apply for student visa for Fall 2018?
abimbolar:
Part 13 is here

Fall 18 all the way!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 12:32pm On Jan 16, 2018
Biggy911:

Any advice

Yes, she will have to hold more than your I-20. She'll have to prove that you both have sufficient funds to cover delivery (you have insurance so you'll need to make sure she has this), a new child and a spouse who obviously will not be working. Not impossible.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 12:43pm On Jan 16, 2018
Lovelywings:

I did understand your point, and was saying that an executive order isn't even needed because the H1B Visa process will wean most people out. So far, you've called me unnecessarily alarmist, contrarian and "too know". Not my arguments, but me as a person. Any more veiled insults you want to lob at me?

I'm sorry but using the European post-doc (aliens of extraordinary ability) as an example is misleading because in order to sponsor yourself for a GC you have to prove that you are an extraordinary alien and I guarantee you that no one on this board fits the bill. If they did, they would'nt be looking to Nairaland for advice. One of my more senior coworkers did this - she had to send newspaper articles written about her, as one of the first Kenyan women to get a PhD, and had household name leaders within our sector to write letters saying she was demonstrably a unique expert in her field. This is the track that people like Lupita Nyongo and the like use to get a green card.

http://curranberger.com/achievement-based/overview-applying-for-a-green-card-without-an-employer-sponsor/

I don't think its fair to imply that this is a viable option for people.

Clearly you have some experience with the US system. But clearly so do I. We can agree to disagree. My disagreeing with you does not make me contrarian (that implies you are the expert grin). It means I have a slightly different experience than you do.

Again you either deliberately or ignorantly misread my response... simply to call it "misleading" [which in Nigerian parlance simply means - you're lying or have no clue what you're talking about - speaking about "veiled insults"]. The example you cite is for a postdoc applying through the EB1A category. Perhaps I should remind you that there are other categories that do not require you to send newspaper articles about yourself?

My point was that not everyone requires an H1B. There are many people who obtain green cards on their OPT. Europeans (most ROW frankly) can simply apply in the EB2 or EB3 categories (ROW is almost always current) and obtain a green card in less than a year. Someone in the EB2/3 category does not have to prove extraordinary ability (EB1A, EB1B or EB2-NIW), the employer simply needs to show that there are no Americans available with the requisite skills to take the job. Anyone here who gets a decent employer has a shot at the EB2/3 categories. With a half decent lawyer, you should be able to make your case.

I would advise that you take time to read posts carefully in future. You seem overly eager to jump in and cry that everyone else is "misleading". The green card process is not as difficult as you've painted it so far. The hard part is finding an employer who thinks you are worth the money and effort. That is the basis for insisting that folks go to top schools with majors that are in-demand. Yes I agree that you have some experience with the US immigration system. But your experience appears to be severely narrow... the problem is you think everyone's experiences are limited to the little that you know.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 12:59pm On Jan 16, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Thankfully the US process does not discriminate against pregnancy or family life ............ There are many working mothers or schooling mothers out there who cope with a newborn and same with New or existing fathers so this is a normal scenario . Millions have coped before him and millions will cope after . F2 Visa was also put to cover family life and dependant
Biggy911 you be fine
Good for them cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 1:03pm On Jan 16, 2018
sunshineluv5:
good day house please for the mass media communication majors or anyone that's got an idea,although i have made my own research but i dont want to fall into any vo's trap.Please is there a connection between MASS MEDIA COMMUNICATION and INFORMATION MEDIA TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION? criticism is allowed.Oga twoods mr femi and the rest please i need your take on this thanks.
please i need more insight to this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 16, 2018
TWoods:

Again you either deliberately or ignorantly misread my response... simply to call it "misleading" [which in Nigerian parlance simply means - you're lying or have no clue what you're talking about - speaking about "veiled insults"]. The example you cite is for a postdoc applying through the EB1A category. Perhaps I should remind you that there are other categories that do not require you to send newspaper articles about yourself?

My point was that not everyone requires an H1B. There are many people who obtain green cards on their OPT. Europeans (most ROW frankly) can simply apply in the EB2 or EB3 categories (ROW is almost always current) and obtain a green card in less than a year. Someone in the EB2/3 category does not have to prove extraordinary ability (EB1A, EB1B or EB2-NIW), the employer simply needs to show that there are no Americans available with the requisite skills to take the job. Anyone here who gets a decent employer has a shot at the EB2/3 categories. With a half decent lawyer, you should be able to make your case.

I would advise that you take time to read posts carefully in future. You seem overly eager to jump in and cry that everyone else is "misleading". The green card process is not as difficult as you've painted it so far. The hard part is finding an employer who thinks you are worth the money and effort. That is the basis for insisting that folks go to top schools with majors that are in-demand. Yes I agree that you have some experience with the US immigration system. But your experience appears to be severely narrow... the problem is you think everyone's experiences are limited to the little that you know.

Hello Mr Twoods , Hope Electrical and computer Engineering a good major in United States Can I say, is it in-demand ?.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bee17(m): 1:09pm On Jan 16, 2018
hello room, please i have a question that I want to ask the whole house and please kindly reply me as soon as possible because am really confused here.

is it true that American student visa doesn't involve an interview anymore?
and what is the new system to be use in issuing student Visa?
I would like to receive a quick response...

thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 1:09pm On Jan 16, 2018
Adeish:

Hello Mr Twoods , Hope Electrical and computer Engineering a good major in United States Can I say, is it in-demand ?.

How would I know? Do the legwork yourself.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 1:10pm On Jan 16, 2018
bee17:
hello room, please i have a question that I want to ask the whole house and please kindly reply me as soon as possible because am really confused here.

[b]I would like to receive a quick response...

[/b]thanks.

The US embassy has a website. Go there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:21pm On Jan 16, 2018
bee17:

I would like to receive a quick response...

thanks.

Fake news is what you heard.... There has been no recent change in US student visa process
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2018
femi312:
Stop spamming this thread with this same post. No one can give you schools to apply to. You had a first class, you should be able to do proper research online using all the links that have been posted and reposted several times on this forum. I dont mean to sound harsh but sometimes one needs to hear the truth and not what you want to hear. By the way, if by now you are still looking for schools to apply to, you will end up applying to a mediocre school because most good schools close funding application as early as Dec 15 and some Jan 15. If you end up not getting admision for fall, just plan towards Spring 2019/Fall 2019 and look at the options of re-writing Gre to get a better score. Please dont go and waste that your GPA in one unranked school. I gave you a link to civil engineering schools ranking but you decided to ignore it and start looking for help where there is non. A serious person would have visited almost all the schools on that list to see their requirements and deadlines. I am not exaggerating, I visited all the schools on that list from 1 to 100 some years ago when I was at your stage.

Hallo bro, please I need your take on this. With a GRE score of 310, do you think Bowling Green State University is a school to consider at all...or just waste of application. Though they tend to fund candidates with 300+ fully
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lyrondee: 3:16pm On Jan 16, 2018
Hello Everyone... i have been following this thread for a while now as am about to start my application... and i would like to ask

How would i know if a school is a top school (not ivy schools oo) is it based on national ranking, avg. alunmi salary or tution fees? tho i've been making use of usnews.com

I would appreciate a reply.. thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 4:01pm On Jan 16, 2018
LagosismyHome:

It always good to have a backup plan .... when i was a student I knew over 20 Nigerians who did the canada thing just as a backup with hardly any intention of using it

Then came the finanical crises when many people lost their h1b status and job. Having that backup came so handy and a lot have moved to Canada. Some have their citizenship now and have ported back to the US . .. I always recommend having this back up specifically .

You never cease to impress mama lagos. Thanks joor. Trump wahala no be here o.

So basically, towards the end of my program I start applying to jobs in Canada. Or is iy while I am on my opt?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:14pm On Jan 16, 2018
k199192:

You never cease to impress mama lagos. Thanks joor. Trump wahala no be here o.

So basically, towards the end of my program I start applying to jobs in Canada. Or is iy while I am on my opt?

Find out about the process now ... if you qualify then apply immediately or when you qualify and then hold on to it .... towards graduation then you can apply for jobs in US or canada. Which ever clicks then you go with the flow. With Canada the only thing you lose is the money to apply but it worth it.... you are not forced to use it. If u never use it that fine but good to have it as a backup instead of coming back to naija

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Biggy911(m): 4:36pm On Jan 16, 2018
Thanks Sir,

TWoods:

Yes, she will have to hold more than your I-20. She'll have to prove that you both have sufficient funds to cover delivery (you have insurance so you'll need to make sure she has this), a new child and a spouse who obviously will not be working. Not impossible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Biggy911(m): 4:36pm On Jan 16, 2018
Thanks so much. I appreciate.

LagosismyHome:

Put your wife under your health insurance or a health insurance and let her travel with that evidence or any extra evidence to show financial ability
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Davestan2001: 5:13pm On Jan 16, 2018
I studied Geology in a Nigerian University. I'm trying to apply for Masters in Information Management Systems in a University in Texas. Do the difference in courses matter as I'm basically switching? Please anyone to enlighten me as it's my first time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2018
TWoods:

I think people here need to understand that you don't have to be a genius to fulfill the 'extraordinary ability' or 'exceptional ability' requirements of EB green cards. Lawyers do this everyday as has been said. Getting a job with companies that regularly file your class of EB GC is really the main thing. Of course, that's usually connected to a decent major.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by NefT: 5:53pm On Jan 16, 2018
folmus:

How do one demonstrate this? cheesy cheesy cheesy By solving questions grin grin Expecting reply.

I do really appreciate enuelsmith kind gesture here, he registered me for TOEFL today. Honestly, with this I do believe we still have good and selfless people in this country.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Time2Smile(m): 7:13pm On Jan 16, 2018
LagosismyHome:

You know me I always have issues with people who take and dont give back..
Give back ke. This one is worse than not giving back, rather its a case of nobody should benefit anything from him. The guy actually went back and deleted almost all his pre-visa approval posts. But he is not as smart as he thinks. I don't know who or what is chasing him.

I really wished no one responded to his latest inquiry. He doesn't deserve any help from this forum. Mtcheeew.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dollarpo7(m): 7:29pm On Jan 16, 2018
Hello Guys, i like what you guys are doing here.

I have a B.Engr in Petroleum Engineering (3.0 GP).
I graduated 2013, now applying 4 an Msc 2018
I am 31yrs Old
I have moved from engineering to Information Technology.
I want to do an M.school in an IT related course.

I plan applying for the fall of 2019, which of the above is a disadvantage and how do I go around it. THANKS

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.