Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Pedigree-bloodline-purebreed-crossbreed......stop Confusing These Terms - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Pedigree-bloodline-purebreed-crossbreed......stop Confusing These Terms (481 Views)

6 Weeks old boerboel Crossbreed Available For Sale / Is The Box-head Rottweiler A Purebred Dog Or A Faulty Crossbreed? / Pure Breed Rottweiler Puppies From Grisly Bear Bloodline For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pedigree-bloodline-purebreed-crossbreed......stop Confusing These Terms by egorov(m): 8:51am On Dec 12, 2017
Hey Pet lovers,
What I see almost on a daily basis here are ads ads and ads, at least at times we 'breeders' should bring up educative and infomative topics at times.
Well, I've been dropping topics once in a while and I'll keep doing so.

Now, to the main issue
Often I've noticed the words Pedigree, purebreed, bloodline, mixbreed have always been confused in usage even by reputable breeders. These words are very easy to differentiate and we should endeavour to educate our friends, customers, clients and colleagues.

PURE BREED
A purebred dog typically refers to a dog of a modern dog breed with a documented pedigree in a stud book and may be registered with a breed club that may also be part of a national kennel club

This implies that, even if u have a very good looking Dog, u can categorically say its purebred without been taken through proper tests and examinations to know if it conforms with the breed standard. Majority of us breeders in this country have dogs without a known lineage or pedigree, but thanks to some associations like BDBAN, BA, PaceSetter Rott Club, we now have certified appraisers coming into the country to 'standardise' our stock.

Next time u wanna market your Dog, pls choose the correct word to use.

CROSSBREED
Crossbreed dogs or designer dogs are dogs which have been intentionally bred from two or more recognized dog breeds and not from dogs with no purebred ancestors, but have not been artificially bred to each other enough to breed true and be recognized as a breed in their own right.

So if your Dog was sired by a Rott and the dam is a pitbull, just say its a crossbreed, not PITWEILER like I saw sometimes ago here on Nairaland. You have no authority to coin a name for the concussion u prepared.

PEDIGREE
A pedigree is a table or chart recording a line of ancestors, either of persons or (more especially) of animals, as horses, cattle, and dogs; in the case of animals, such a table is used as proof of.

It is the record of descent of an animal, showing it to be pure-bred.

Pedigree is just a doc or chart, not the dog itself, many of us including myself are guilty of calling dogs pedigree, like u hear 'pedigree puppies for sale' which is a wrong expression.

Well, this is my opinion and corrections are welcomed. Thanks.
Phronesis

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Little Frankie / Group Name For Some Selected Animals / 2mighty Female Brindle Boerbeol Puppies For Sale...call 08155560515 For Pickup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.