Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) (4166 Views)

Do Cars Malfunction After Having Sex In Them? / My Dashboard Displays "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" / Help! Service Engine Soon 4 Nissan Altima 2000 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 31, 2010
I drove my 2003 auto maxima (bought in February on Nairaland) from Ibadan to Warri two days ago (i.e. on Monday) without any problem. Tuesday evening, during a trip within town, my radiator had a burst at the top. Prior to this, I had been surprised that all dashboard, a/c, radio and gear selectoir lights stopped working.

After the radiotor got bursted, the temperature gauge rose to high temp after 200m drive on the way to my garage. The 'service engine soon" also came and is still on. I have had the radiator replaced today with a double cell, , tried to reset the MIL lamp by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery.

Th MIL light still will not go off and the new double cell radiator is also getting very hot.

Any useful information will be appreciated.
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by Jucol(m): 3:26pm On Mar 31, 2010
You have to open the bonnet and inspect listen to the engine's sound:
- Does it start and run smoothly after the radiator change?
- Is the cooling fan blowing.
- check for leakages along the water cooling systems
- check the water pump
If all these are ok. Then you may need a scan to find the exact cause.

Good luck
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by diehard1: 3:47pm On Mar 31, 2010
scan will give you the exact fault.
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by chelseabmw(m): 4:33pm On Mar 31, 2010
@Jucol
That's the answer.This happened to my bmw too.

@poster
before u go for scanning please try those method above
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 31, 2010
Thanks all.

The fan takes some time to start and think its automated to be like this. I might be wrong.

Please any recommendation where I can do a scan.
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by Jucol(m): 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2010
The fan takes some time to start and think its automated to be like this. I might be wrong.

Please any recommendation where I can do a scan.

You have to give the house precise and detailed answers to get help. Did your engine run smooth? Do you have enough oil in it?

The fan will start only when the engine is warm enough. Before going for a scan why not check the above tips on your own , or get a mechanic to check for you.

Good luck.
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by onezirozan: 7:54pm On Mar 31, 2010
I DRIVE AN '00 MAXIMA. HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM ON A TRIP TO ABUJA. I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR AFTER THE SINGLE CELL RADIATOR BURST THOUGH. IT WAS TOWED TO A GARAGE. WAS AFRAID OF BURNING THE GASKET. YOUR MIL LIGHT IS ALREADY TELLING YOU THERE IS A PROBLEM. IF YOU LIVE IN IBADAN THEN ASKED MECHANICS THEY WILL DIRECT YOU TO MECS THAT CAN DO SCANS.

I FEAR THE OVERHEATING IS INDICATIVE OF A BURNT GASKET. I MIGHT BE WRONG. SCAN IS THE BEST WAY THOUGH. DONT LET MECS TAMPER WITH YOUR ENGINE. BY THE WAY ARE YOU BACK TO IBADAN?
Re: Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
The engines runs smoothly and there's enough oil in it.

I'll like to know from onezerozan how he fixed his 2000 maxima.

I have had to have the fan connected directly so that it doesnt have to wait for the engine to get warm before it starts working.

The interior dashboard lights still dont come up when the headlamps are on.

My mechanic also removed the thermostat and I drove about 400 km today without any major problem.

At the tail end of my trip today, the temperature gauge rose almost 3/4. The weather was very hot, had driven pretty fast and this happened when I was held up in 'heavy traffic'. Putting off my a/c helped a bit. Soon after I was out of traffic, the temperature gauge returned to almost 'normal position'

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2007 EXL - Slight Vibration When Accelerating From Slow Speed. / Air Filter/Flow / Honda Accord ā€œDā€ Light Blinking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.