Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,511 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. (9645 Views)

Korede Bello Celebrtated His Birthday With Down-Syndrome Foundation Today (Pics) / REVEALED: The Beauty Secrets Of Nollywood Divas And Nigerian Beauty Queens / Greatest Divas Of All Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 1:37am On Apr 20, 2010
Oh yea eldee, and you shot yourself in the leg about smokers not being stopped from being models. If that doesn't tell you anything about MY "unattractive" opinion, I can't help you with that.

PS: I also wanted to go into Law, so I totally understand the whole stubbornness and argumentative thing. But sometimes, it's really wise to let it be.  wink
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 1:43am On Apr 20, 2010
To your first point . . . I said your opinion is B.S. . . and I proved it.

That's what I'm saying . . . because you put 'research' in bold fonts don't mean it makes sense. . . IT IS B.S.

If your 'research's perspective were logical and representative, it would apply to smoking too.
That's common sense.

If we don't like obese people because they cost us so much, we wouldn't like smokers who cost us even more. Till then, his reasoning remains invalid.
Go and tell your lecturer that he needs to go back to high school.

A graduate that needs to get money off the government thinks of a smart way and says he's 'conducting research' . . . at the end, no correlations, no parallel comparisions, he releases it as a thesis and people like Chiogo go about quoting it.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 1:44am On Apr 20, 2010
chiogo:

Oh yea eldee, and you shot yourself in the leg about smokers not being stopped from being models. If that doesn't tell you anything about MY "unattractive" opinion, I can't help you with that.

PS: I also wanted to go into Law, so I totally understand the whole stubbornness and argumentative thing. But sometimes, it's really wise to let it be.  wink

I told you . . . I just used that to prove that yours is not a professional opinion and it is still B.S.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by no1madman(m): 1:45am On Apr 20, 2010
poster--wetin concern u if they put on weight or become orobo. .d media don brainwashed una completely.
Beauty comes in different sizes and shapes. .a feature which is not appealing to one can have immense attraction 4 another.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 1:47am On Apr 20, 2010
no1madman:

poster--wetin concern u if they put on weight or become orobo. .d media don brainwashed una completely.
Beauty comes in different sizes and shapes. .a feature which is not appealing to one can have immense attraction 4 another.

This is Super Story!!!
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 1:52am On Apr 20, 2010
My opinion isn't BS if you couldn't answer the questions that surround it:
Do you find obese people attractive?
How many obese people do you know?
How many of them suffer from diseases that can be attributed to their obesity?

Learn how to read. I brought up the research thing because you made your first post to me telling me that my OPINION is wrong and that obesity is exaggerated because people think obese people generally don't care for themselves. II only gave you what I found through research, just like you.

If I agreed with my research, I would have brought it up earlier rather than stating my opinion.

You can call it BS all you want even though it came from a credible source. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, just like I don't have to agree with your sociologist theory.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by no1madman(m): 1:52am On Apr 20, 2010
eldee:

This is Super Story!!!
meaning. .
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 2:03am On Apr 20, 2010
chiogo:

My opinion isn't BS if you couldn't answer the questions that surround it:
Do you find obese people attractive?
How many obese people do you know?
How many of them suffer from diseases that can be attributed to their obesity?

I know loads of people that have suffered from the minor ones like bad odour, skin diseases, diabetes to serious ones like heart complications and asthmatic attacks.
You don't get it?? The country I'm from has a life expectancy of 47, our eating habits play a big role in that.

chiogo:

Learn how to read. I brought up the research thing because you made your first post to me telling me that my OPINION is wrong and that obesity is exaggerated because people think obese people generally don't care for themselves. II only gave you what I found through research, just like you.

If I agreed with my research, I would have brought it up earlier rather than stating my opinion.

You can call it BS all you want even though it came from a credible source. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, just like I don't have to agree with your sociologist theory.

Oh so you don't actually agree with your research?? You were just throwing it in to win an argument??
Wow!!! You really should have done Law.

Throwing in a completely unreasonable piece of B.S to counter a point is sumn only the best lawyers do properly. tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 2:06am On Apr 20, 2010
no1madman:

meaning. .

They get paid to look conform to the generally accepted conceptions of beauty, if they're not doing this, they will be subjected to extreme levels of social castigation. . . I don't make the rules.

If I wanted to see an ugly and untalented actress to play a high school chic, I'll get sumone off Nairaland. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 2:10am On Apr 20, 2010
eldee:

Throwing in a completely unreasonable piece of B.S to counter a point is sumn only the best lawyers do properly. tongue tongue
Thank you, thank you, you're far too kind.  tongue

But umm, I'm indifferent to that part of the research since it wasn't relevant to my paper. But when you came with that sociologist claim, I had to go back and look. I stand by my "unattractive" theory.

Umm, how are you so sure that the life expectancy for Nigerians is due to the eating habits? How about poverty? Over 70% barely have anything to eat much more finding these fatty foods. It's different for Americans. Poor Americans have more access to junk food. Poor Nigerians have access to NOTHING. Big difference.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 2:25am On Apr 20, 2010
chiogo:

Thank you, thank you, you're far too kind.  tongue

But umm, I'm indifferent to that part of the research since it wasn't relevant to my paper. But when you came with that sociologist claim, I had to go back and look. I stand by my "unattractive" theory.

Now you're just being unreasonably thick-headed.
I'll stick to the B.S just because I hate the closest thing to the truth. . .

chiogo:

Umm, how are you so sure that the life expectancy for Nigerians is due to the eating habits? How about poverty? Over 70% barely have anything to eat much more finding these fatty foods. It's different for Americans. Poor Americans have more access to junk food. Poor Nigerians have access to NOTHING. Big difference.

How sure am I?? Go look at diabetes and high blood pressure rates in Nigeria.
Besides 70% of Nigerians have food to eat, the problem is that it's cheap unhealthy food like garri and bread.
Poverty in Nigeria is usually more to do with other important amenities like housing, transport and things like that, Nigeria is not Ethiopia.

Yeah, some people don't have anything to eat . . . but the majority eat relatively cheap unhealthy food.
Poverty does not kill you, you die as a result of eating cheap unhealthy food . . .

My proof?? I've seen it. Infact go to Youtube and search for 'Welcome to Lagos' and see how much unhealthy food is being consumed by the people said to be literally at the bottom of the pile.

Remember this part is more of experience than 'white man research'.

I'm going to bed . . . I don't want to go off-topic.

Fat people are unhealthy and should not play roles that are meant for skinny people. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 2:42am On Apr 20, 2010
Yea, you should go to bed. . .maybe when you wake up, you'd be able to digest all the info I put out.
It seems too much for your head to contain right now.

Your sociologist claim is a mentality just like my "unattractive" opinion. . .and I'm supposed to accept yours because . .? Umm, NEGATIVE!

lol anywayz, you talk like I don't have Nigerian experience too. Psh. Puhlease!! I've probably spent more time there than you have.

Garri and bread is unhealthy if you eat it everyday. I bet my skinny a/s/s that VERY poor naija people barely have enough money to consume even that on a daily basis.

Still boils down to poverty in MY opinion. You don't eat as often as you should and when you do eat, it lacks nutrition, it's an unbalanced diet. You're unhealthy. Easy peasy.

eldee:

Fat people are unhealthy and should not play roles that are meant for skinny people. grin grin
Stay ignorant.  cheesy
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 8:09am On Apr 20, 2010
chiogo:

Yea, you should go to bed. . .maybe when you wake up, you'd be able to digest all the info I put out.
It seems too much for your head to contain right now.

Your sociologist claim is a mentality just like my "unattractive" opinion. . .and I'm supposed to accept yours because . .? Umm, NEGATIVE!

Don't get me wrong . . . I don't want you to accept it, I want you to attempt to prove me wrong.
Criticise it, use your 'research' to bring a more logical answer, tear it apart like I've done to all your B.S theories.
Then I'll actually take you serious. . . till then, go use a fake ID to get into a club with Ib.

chiogo:

lol anywayz, you talk like I don't have Nigerian experience too. Psh. Puhlease!! I've probably spent more time there than you have.

Garri and bread is unhealthy if you eat it everyday. I bet my skinny a/s/s that VERY poor naija people barely have enough money to consume even that on a daily basis.

Still boils down to poverty in MY opinion. You don't eat as often as you should and when you do eat, it lacks nutrition, it's an unbalanced diet. You're unhealthy. Easy peasy.
Stay ignorant.  cheesy

Your method of backing down is like Ini Edo's body. . . hilarious!!!! tongue tongue

Five minutes ago you said 'how are you so sure that the life expectancy for Nigerians is due to the eating habits? How about poverty?' . . . and now it's yeah 'but it's still eating habits too, they eat unhealthy food' . . . what's an unbalanced diet'.

Ms Chiogo, eating patterns/patterns are the choices of food, so eating an unbalanced diet is also under the umbrella of eating habits. . . the way you clutch these straws are just hilarious.
You think you're arguing with Ofoka or sumn??

Now let me clarify this stuff and wait till you guys combine to spew fuckery again (you never disappoint).
I've spent more years in Nigeria than the number of birthdays in your entire life . . . I lived in four cities/towns . . . visited many others.
And yeah, I've seen poor people and yeah, these people eat this very unhealthy food (bricklayers eat bread and coke for lunch) that's as distant from a balanced diet as the word goes.
Not enough research is conducted in Nigeria to give us accurate figures, but the many deaths and diseases in Nigeria show signs that they could have been avoided by healthy nutrition.
Even First Lady charity programmes highlight this . . . now STFU till you can get your 'skinny ass' to Nigeria to understand this.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by ayettymama(f): 1:30pm On Apr 20, 2010
eldee:

Of course we have among the[b] lowest life expectancy for a country that's not at war[/b] . . .FACT!!!
Our life Expectancy is 47 years. . . UNICEF stats.
Our heart related death rates are also up there with HIV . . . FACT!!!
That's a combination of the situation in the country and our eating patterns. . . . FACT.

Ask anyone on this thread, everyone knows 3-4 women in their family that are obese. . . FACT.
Everyone knows loads of people that have had heart related complications . . . FACT!!!

wow- im not only dissapointed in you im dissapointed in every nl that saw this bs and couldnt refute it

now inno nigerias biggest killer- it isnt hiv, it isnt tuburcolosis, its ignorance dayuuum

the only correct thing uve said is the average life expectancy, you claim its soo because nigerians are fat and dont eat right??

now i ask, does the average nigerian have a job with a stable salary?? can the average nigerian even afford 3 square 'unhealthy' meals??

who in the world told u heart conditions are with HIV?? eldee come here lemme give u some advice, you need to go to nigeria, go to the secondary school u attended, demand for the 6yrs of tuition u paid, they totally wasted ur time- theres no hope for u, invest it in a lil business- that education was useless

obesity related diseases arent even in the top 10 or top 20 killers in nigeria, what does malaria or tuburculosis hiv, hepatitis , measles, parasitic diseases, diarhoal diseases have to do with clinical obesity?? talkless of murder- police brutality capital punishment, armed robbery etc etc

or do u think they went to africa counted the number of fat people and determined ur life expectancy by that?? yes i actually do know people that have heart related complications ie president yaradua?? ill be dammed i think i need to visit specsavers- i never knew he was clinically obese!

im out im not gonna go back and forth on this with you- continue- youll soon run out of gas to give
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 3:37pm On Apr 20, 2010
Eldee, you're a first-class retard! For real.

Exactly how many theories did I put out? Besides my opinion on obesity not seen as attractive and the research that states that people believe obese people cost money to cater to their health care.

There's nothing to refute, that's why I didn't try. So, you believe your Sociologist claim - great. I'm indifferent to it all, just letting you know there's contrasting info out there. I'll like to believe my "unattractive" theory plays a part but that's just me.

As for the eating pattern issue, I'm not ready to argue with you right now, but I'll be back. . .when I'm done with my exams.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2010
@Chiogo
Congratulations, at least you can publicly lay claim to the fact that you're smarter than Ayettymama.
Compared to her, you sound like Einstein. . . grin grin

@ayettymama

I would have ignored you, but it's unfair to let you remain in your incredibly stupid state of mind.
It's obvious to anyone that you come across as on of those daft idiots that every reasonable person needs to ignore.

That said, I underestimated you idiocy by assuming that you knew the difference between having unhealthy eating patterns and obesity. . . but your IQ level obviously can't decipher that.

You even think police brutality kills more Nigerians than food-related causes . . . WOW!!!
Believe me, your ignorance precedes your username. . .
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chamotex(m): 7:34pm On Apr 20, 2010
eldee:

Believe me, your ignorance precedes your username. . .

WTF is that got to do with anything? cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2010
See ppl fighting over ikebe supers! SMH
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by omar22(m): 8:10pm On Apr 20, 2010
If I wanted to see an ugly and untalented actress to play a high school chic, I'll get sumone off Nairaland. Grin Grin

Can you imagine, after watching the over-hyped Jenifa, I saw some of the oldest student you could find anywhere in the world, they were so big and old to be student.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by platinumnk(f): 8:26pm On Apr 20, 2010
Ignorance.

roles are meant for skinny people.- thats one of the most idiotic statements i read.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 9:44pm On Apr 20, 2010
chamotex:

WTF is that got to do with anything? cheesy grin

A lot . . .it just means I'm not expecting her next post to be any less daft than the last one. grin grin

omar22:

Can you imagine, after watching the over-hyped Jenifa, I saw some of the oldest student you could find anywhere in the world, they were so big and old to be student.
I know . . . if acting is all about being able for a minute to make the audience believe that you're not the celeb we know, but the average Nigerian student, most of those chics fail miserably.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 12:48am On Apr 21, 2010
ayettymama:

or do u think they went to africa counted the number of fat people and determined your life expectancy by that?? yes i actually do know people that have heart related complications ie president yaradua?? ill be dammed i think i need to visit specsavers- i never knew he was clinically obese!
Exactly. I'm pretty sure these statistics are not compiled by Nigerians even though it IS about Nigeria. In general, any country where half its citizens live below the poverty line definitely have low life expectancy rates. Nigeria is one of those countries. When did the study take place? We would never know but that's the number assigned to Nigeria.

If half the people barely have anything to eat, where is the obesity coming from? Maybe diseases related to being under-weight, that's more logical.

Malaria is def. one of the biggest killers - but I guess eldee would tell us that eating patterns cause malaria.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by THEAMAKA(f): 1:06am On Apr 21, 2010
FL Gators:

See ppl fighting over ikebe supers! SMH
that's exactly what im saying.
who flipping cares!
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 21, 2010
Diva, and who said Hollywood celebrities are the benchmark by which all other celebrities should be judged? angry
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by eldee(m): 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2010
chiogo:

If half the people barely have anything to eat, where is the obesity coming from? Maybe diseases related to being under-weight, that's more logical.

Malaria is def. one of the biggest killers - but I guess eldee would tell us that eating patterns cause malaria.

Exactly . . . I always knew you had it in you, you need to stop hanging out with daft people, it's bad for you. cheesy cheesy

Poor people are malnourished by eating only a little, and these are usually staple foods (generally starchy) while the rich eat way too much unhealthy food without caring about what nutrients to include in diets. . . 'evidence of good living' as Lagbaja called it.
This results in Nigeria having two extremes of eating-habit related diseases. . . one of which we'll be seeing in the Eucharias soon if they don't slow down.

Of course Malaria and HIV are up there, but then we had extreme levels of Kwashiorkor cases in the 90s and we all know how high heart complication figures were in the 2000s.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by omar22(m): 6:56pm On Apr 21, 2010
Exactly . . . I always knew you had it in you, you need to stop hanging out with daft people, it's bad for you. Cheesy Cheesy

Poor people are malnourished by eating only a little, and these are usually staple foods (generally starchy) while the rich eat way too much unhealthy food without caring about what nutrients to include in diets. . . 'evidence of good living' as Lagbaja called it.
This results in Nigeria having two extremes of eating-habit related diseases. . . one of which we'll be seeing in the Eucharias soon if they don't slow down.

Of course Malaria and HIV are up there, but then we had extreme levels of Kwashiorkor cases in the 90s and we all know how high heart complication figures were in the 2000s.

SPOT ON
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by bawomolo(m): 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2010
obesity related diseases arent even in the top 10 or top 20 killers in nigeria

i doubt this can be confirmed considering poor diagnosis in the Nigerian Health care system.

diabetes, heart disease and hypertension are common in Nigeria though.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by omar22(m): 6:45am On Apr 22, 2010
Stay ignorant.

Whats ignorant about that,

Watch RMD playing a romantic movie was head scratching its like watching Anthony Hoptic playing Romeo in Romeo + Juliet,

Its hideous!!!!
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by omar22(m): 6:54am On Apr 22, 2010
obesity related diseases arent even in the top 10 or top 20 killers in nigeria

Someone dies of heart failure the next thing they say is the mother in law, or the second wife or the neighbour that killed them,

I know of a lady who came for treatment in this country (UK) and the Dr told her that she should first loose some weight, but she died some weeks later,

we see people between 70 -90 jogging everytime just to get their heart beat working in perfect other and burn of some calories, but in Naija, dont let me say, i am not say they should jog but the efo, egusi, red meat, the fry-up food need to be cut back,
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by chiogo(f): 9:51pm On Apr 22, 2010
eldee:

Exactly . . . I always knew you had it in you, you need to stop hanging out with daft people, it's bad for you. cheesy cheesy

Umm, I believe the discussion was about obese(orobo) people not under-weight people. So, you mentioning eating patterns led me to believe you were referring to obese people. How is that relevant to Nigeria when more than half its citizens have nothing to eat? So, see, you went off on a completely different tangent. Altogether, the poor folks with their poor eating patterns and the wealthy ones who are in the minority, with their bad eating habits still have lower BMI's compared to Nigerians living in America on average.
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by bkbabe97: 11:41pm On Apr 22, 2010
as expected, AYETTYMAMA, the original FAT-MAMA-JAMMA of Africa, is defending the right to stay obese and unhealthy. nasty, fat, chic!!!
Re: Nigerian Divas And The 'orobo' Syndrome. by oyinda3(f): 4:24am On Apr 23, 2010
the reasons are varied but one important factor is the amount of emphasis our culture places on food. i don't think this needs any further explanation. just go to a naija party to see 4 urself.
also generally, our foods are empty calorie starchy foods. cassava, rice etc you get so much calories for so little nutrition (vitamins etc)
originally, this was benefitial if your work require high energy-- farming, fetching water, walking long distances and what not. basically what people nowadays hire HOUSEHELPS to do.

whoever brought up this:

The country I'm from has a life expectancy of 47, our eating habits play a big role in that.

child mortality plays the greatest influence on life expectancy and a lot of people don't realize that. 47 doesn't mean people actually die at age 47.
basically if you had two individuals, one died at 2 and the other died at 80, the average life expectancy will be about 40!!
and naija and many african countries have very high child mortality rates.

also, women generally are more predisposed to gaining weight than men. and this is all over the world. i think hormones have to do with it and i know for a fact that a girl will not start her period until she has gained a threshold of body fat. on average women have 30% more fat than guys. i believe. not too sure of the stats. and menopause is a curse is u wanna stay slim.
so watching too much Hollywood celebrities who are on crazy diets doesn't represent the average woman.
in fact i think Nigerian Divas are fatter than naija women on average. this is total opposite of American celebrities!!! so we should consider that.

generally though, i have some very skinny friends and it annoys me that they are always talking about their weight and it causes so much anxiety for them. naija women don't have this problem  (eating disorders etc) and we are comfortable as we are generally. but that's not to say that we don't have a problem. because there are consequences for health n well being

questions should be:
how can we tackle the 'orobo syndrome'?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NBC Bans Olamide’s “wo,” Davido’s “fall,’ 9ice’s “living Things” And More / South African Girl Says This About Nigerian Music See Reactions / Zubby Micheal's Wife Disgraces Him In Public, See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.