Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) (64026 Views)

Lagos Blue Line Trains On Their Way From China (Photos & Video). / Thousands Of Vehicles Stuck In Traffic In China (Photos) / Incredible Images Show Fleet Of 220mph Bullet Trains In China(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by dabossman(m): 8:57am On Dec 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

It is not crap.

It is still the standard in the UK today.

The problem with many of them is that once the train doesn't have a pointy nose it is old craps that's no longer in use. Ignorance is a disease.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by GavelSlam: 8:58am On Dec 16, 2017
mmsen:

Compared to rail services in most other countries it's more expensive and slower.

And that is a general issue with British rail services in general - hence why people have been clamoring for the state to take over rail services again, prices have gone up but service has gotten worse.

There's nothing wrong with it if it's priced accordingly but in the UK it isn't.

No one clamours for the state to take over anything in the UK because it is a capitalist nation. They could ask for reforms on how they are awarded or managed but government doesn't take over anything especially as there is council autonomy .

Rail service is expensive in all of Western Europe be it Italy, Germany or France.

Heck, even in the states rail travel isn't cheap or any better.

We should avoid criticising just for the sake of it.

These trains are the present standard worldwide though there are more modern, top of the range variants.

By the way, should we be abandoning rail for hyperloop?
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by chiagozien(m): 8:58am On Dec 16, 2017
Jaideyone:
hahahaha clown.

Yorubas have been more of ACN/APC/AD in the last 16 years.

for presidency we voted AD in 1999, PDP in 2003, PDP in 2007, PDP in 2011 and APC in 2015. ibos have voted PDP in all the five presidential elections!!!
get out you sound like a kid.
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by GavelSlam: 8:59am On Dec 16, 2017
erico2k2:

These two are different though as the one in the UK o's electric we can't ha e that . We use diesel

Is that a problem?
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by HAH: 9:02am On Dec 16, 2017
If you have been on this train from abuja to kaduna you will appreciate it, to me it is better than the ones I used between London and Manchester.

The train are probably going to abuja for the kaduna route as the minister promised more coaches, no one that used that train that is not impressed, the train has a speed of 160 but actual used is between 100-120

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 16, 2017
Reference:
OP, 160 kph is not high speed in the world of trains but as a fan of rail transport am excited Nigeria is showing sustained interest in this direction and commend the government for backing this up with concrete steps.

We donot need to start with high speed trains and we donot need to start with passenger traffic. The government should invest more into cargo traffic where the problem lies and where the money is to further expand investment.

It breaks my heart to see what we transport cross cou try on our roads, cargoes that are not worth the roads they pass on. Roads are built primarily to be 'soft' for comfort travel and to to ease the wear on tyres. They have load limits and when this is exceeded the normally elastic bituminous infusion gives way. Rail lines on the other hand are made from high strength corrosion resistant alloyed steel which is near indestructible. The load limits are tens of times more than roads and maintenance is just a fraction of the cost. So when we use our highways to haul such heavy loads as cement, stones, steel products and such worth less cargoes as farm produce we are eroding the resources with which to expamd and deepen our infrastructure foot print. Not surprising that we have not launched or comissioned any major, meaningful piece of transportation infrastructure in the last decade and a half. We are just battling to maintain the ones we have and losing that battle.

If the government can provide a carrot in reliable cross country rail services and a stick in heavy tolling of articulated vehicles on the highway we can save huge amounts off our annual budget. The roads will be safer, last longer and enable us to focus on building newer, more efficient ones.

Thus is what investors both local and foreign look out for, cost and efficiency of transport. Rail transport is known world wide to be the safest, cheapest and most reliable. When government has satisfied commerce and industry it can then focus on passenger transport. As a matter of fact this is best done by states which should invest in city to city linkages where the bulk of traffic resides. There are a lot more people travelling from parts of Ogun or Oyo to Lagos or Rivers to Abia or Anambra to Imo or Kano to Kaduna than there are folks travelling from say Kano to Lagos or Abuja to Portharcourt. States can do even more in this regards.
Best comment so far......at least, we're getting there.

All those mofos shouting it's not a high speed train don't know what they're talking about. 160km/hr is high speed. Majority of them are posting super high speed and bullet trains. Dumb fellows.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by kerry57: 9:07am On Dec 16, 2017
U cant say this is going to be the fastest in Africa, make finding about the Ethiopian and South African railway system. The've still got the fastest in Africa. The pictures above are locomotive train system. The current age is talking about speed train, that I guess is what Nigeria should be celebrating about with our wealth of resources in few hands and miss managed by our pathetic leaders.

2 Likes

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by HAH: 9:09am On Dec 16, 2017
Reference:
OP, 160 kph is not high speed in the world of trains but as a fan of rail transport am excited Nigeria is showing sustained interest in this direction and commend the government for backing this up with concrete steps.

We donot need to start with high speed trains and we donot need to start with passenger traffic. The government should invest more into cargo traffic where the problem lies and where the money is to further expand investment.

It breaks my heart to see what we transport cross cou try on our roads, cargoes that are not worth the roads they pass on. Roads are built primarily to be 'soft' for comfort travel and to to ease the wear on tyres. They have load limits and when this is exceeded the normally elastic bituminous infusion gives way. Rail lines on the other hand are made from high strength corrosion resistant alloyed steel which is near indestructible. The load limits are tens of times more than roads and maintenance is just a fraction of the cost. So when we use our highways to haul such heavy loads as cement, stones, steel products and such worth less cargoes as farm produce we are eroding the resources with which to expamd and deepen our infrastructure foot print. Not surprising that we have not launched or comissioned any major, meaningful piece of transportation infrastructure in the last decade and a half. We are just battling to maintain the ones we have and losing that battle.

If the government can provide a carrot in reliable cross country rail services and a stick in heavy tolling of articulated vehicles on the highway we can save huge amounts off our annual budget. The roads will be safer, last longer and enable us to focus on building newer, more efficient ones.

Thus is what investors both local and foreign look out for, cost and efficiency of transport. Rail transport is known world wide to be the safest, cheapest and most reliable. When government has satisfied commerce and industry it can then focus on passenger transport. As a matter of fact this is best done by states which should invest in city to city linkages where the bulk of traffic resides. There are a lot more people travelling from parts of Ogun or Oyo to Lagos or Rivers to Abia or Anambra to Imo or Kano to Kaduna than there are folks travelling from say Kano to Lagos or Abuja to Portharcourt. States can do even more in this regards.

Good observation, but the truth is the government is already doing this with recent contracts for standard gauges across the nation which can be used by both passenger and cargo trains, but presently the only two cities connected by standard gauge is kaduna and abuja which this shown coaches are destined to go.

When the Lagos standard gauge lines are completed certainly you will see cargo trains on the track from the ports

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Coolboi05(m): 9:13am On Dec 16, 2017
HAH:
If you have been on this train from abuja to kaduna you will appreciate it, to me it is better than the ones I used between London and Manchester.

The train are probably going to abuja for the kaduna route as the minister promised more coaches, no one that used that train that is not impressed, the train has a speed of 160 but actual used is between 100-120
I totally agree with you, I use the train mostly when going for weekend and back. Most people here are only commenting based on the picture they saw; it doesnt have a pointy nose, or they wan see bullet train

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Qc1(m): 9:15am On Dec 16, 2017
sleepyeyez:
these rubbish looking things?
worn out carriages that went out of use years back n got shipped down to Africa as usual.
naija the refuse dump. who knows how much d naija middle man got from this shoddy deal.
google high speed trains n see what they really look like.

The picture below is a high speed train in Morocco. Enough said!

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/high-speed/moroccan-high-speed-line-to-open-in-june-2018.html

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by erico2k2(m): 9:15am On Dec 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

Is that a problem?
Yes Diesel is a problem when you add the Nigerian factor

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by jimyjames(m): 9:16am On Dec 16, 2017
how much did it cost undecided am sure the will say a billion dollar
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by GavelSlam: 9:17am On Dec 16, 2017
erico2k2:

ues Diesel is a problem when you add the Nigerian factor

There are refineries coming on stream and of course the higher the use of trains means the less the use of motor vehicles. Nothing to worry about.
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Seunpaul01(m): 9:17am On Dec 16, 2017
sleepyeyez:
these rubbish looking things?
worn out carriages that went out of use years back n got shipped down to Africa as usual.
naija the refuse dump. who knows how much d naija middle man got from this shoddy deal.
google high speed trains n see what they really look like.

Thank you. The thing look like over many years used. Fairly used train from China. The China I know use better, modern fast train than this.

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by erico2k2(m): 9:18am On Dec 16, 2017
HAH:

what do you mean better than the one you used btw London and Manchester . You forgot it's Virgin trains that ply that rout direct ? Or are you telling us this craap is better than the tilting trains Virgin has? oh plzzzzz

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by HAH: 9:19am On Dec 16, 2017
Coolboi05:

I totally agree with you, I use the train mostly when going for weekend and back. Most people here are only commenting based on the picture they saw; it doesnt have a pointy nose, or they wan see bullet train
you just said it, to them it must have a pointy nose LOL, I can bet non of this commenters have used the train, everyone is impressed when they use it from abuja to kaduna, very clean and cosy and neat people on board

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by mmsen: 9:22am On Dec 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

No one clamours for the state to take over anything in the UK because it is a capitalist nation. They could ask for reforms on how they are awarded or managed but government doesn't take over anything especially as there is council autonomy .

Rail service is expensive in all of Western Europe be it Italy, Germany or France.

Heck, even in the states rail travel isn't cheap or any better.

We should avoid criticising just for the sake of it.

These trains are the present standard worldwide though there are more modern, top of the range variants.

By the way, should we be abandoning rail for hyperloop?

People in the UK seem to be complaining about rail services and fare rises whenever I'm there.

Bring Back British Rail:
https://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/

Government planning possible take-over of Southern rail – report:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/25/government-reported-to-be-planning-to-nationalise-southern-rail-franchise

Four Myths of British Rail Privatization:
https://actionforrail.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Four_Big_Myths_Rail_Privatisation_Report_2015_LR.pdf

As to your point about American trains - they are cheaper depending on which part of the country you are in. Commuter rail in the Chicago area is a cheaper, likewise fares in the New York, New Jersey area. But no one has ever claimed that American rail is better.
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by adeblow(m): 9:24am On Dec 16, 2017
raker300:
Op

This is what high speed trains look like

Stop lying to the people
But u have to consider the Nigerian factor bros, cattle of Fulani herdsmen, surrounding of rail tracks where villagers will be passing and all that. Remember, even the Abuja - Kaduna rail isn't running at full speed yet because of all these things I stated up there. So bros, let's not run faster than our shoes
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by GavelSlam: 9:28am On Dec 16, 2017
mmsen:

People in the UK seem to be complaining about rail services and fare rises whenever I'm there.

Bring Back British Rail:
https://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/

Government planning possible take-over of Southern rail – report:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/25/government-reported-to-be-planning-to-nationalise-southern-rail-franchise

Four Myths of British Rail Privatization:
https://actionforrail.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Four_Big_Myths_Rail_Privatisation_Report_2015_LR.pdf

As to your point about American trains - they are cheaper depending on which part of the country you are in. Commuter rail in the Chicago area is a cheaper, likewise fares in the New York, New Jersey area. But no one has ever claimed that American rail is better.

They mean taking it back and re-awarding it to a more competent firm as they (Southern Rails) make losses .

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by slimfit1(m): 9:28am On Dec 16, 2017
iamrammy:
hater,na Jonathan buy these outdated ones abi?

No his deputy
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Jaideyone(m): 9:28am On Dec 16, 2017
chiagozien:
get out you sound like a kid.
because you couldn't prove me wrong abi? grin
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Blessograo(f): 9:30am On Dec 16, 2017
God punish whoever told us this is a high speed train from China cos this is the slowest train in China and it's highest speed is nothing compared to bullet trains slowest speed. I'm in China so I know what high speed train looks like, these assholes in the government have been scamming us for long. This is what high speed train looks like not that piece of tin and we don't even have electricity to run them. Bullet trains also have wifi and I doubt that one does.

3 Likes

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by mmsen: 9:32am On Dec 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

They mean taking it back and re-awarding it to a more competent firm as they (Southern Rails) make losses .

Did you click on the other links?

British Rail was the government owned/operated entity before privatization.

It's an issue that is debated a lot, or at least when I happen to be in the UK. Especially when the rail companies raise the fares without improving quality of service.
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by GavelSlam: 9:37am On Dec 16, 2017
mmsen:

Did you click on the other links?

British Rail was the government owned/operated entity before privatization.

It's an issue that is debated a lot, or at least when I happen to be in the UK. Especially when the rail companies raise the fares without improving quality of service.

I read the guardian link.

“In the meantime GTR are picking up billion pounds a year, and the cost to the public purse from lost revenue is £38m – the government must take a decision. How ever unpalatable, they can’t let this continue.”

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by mmsen: 9:38am On Dec 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

I read the guardian link.

“In the meantime GTR are picking up billion pounds a year, and the cost to the public purse from lost revenue is £38m – the government must take a decision. How ever unpalatable, they can’t let this continue.”

There were three links. Look at the other two - public campaigns calling for a return to the days of British Rail.
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 16, 2017
raker300:
Op

This is what high speed trains look like

Stop lying to the people

Pls educate them the gullible nigerians more pls

2 Likes

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by waltcity(m): 9:50am On Dec 16, 2017
Locomotive is what they are calling high speed. cheesy

1 Like

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by So101: 9:51am On Dec 16, 2017
princeade86:
resemble old train. I dought if dis thing can fast.
i doubt* say you go school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 16, 2017
erico2k2:

what do you mean better than the one you used btw London and Manchester . You forgot it's Virgin trains that ply that rout direct ? Or are you telling us this craap is better than the tilting trains Virgin has? oh plzzzzz

Na Ajegunle he be wan mention, You know say he just wake up from bed so his brain never boot finish
Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 16, 2017
Blessograo:
God punish whoever told us this is a high speed train from China cos this is the slowest train in China and it's highest speed is nothing compared to bullet trains slowest speed. I'm in China so I know what high speed train looks like, these assholes in the government have been scamming us for long. This is what high speed train looks like not that piece of tin and we don't even have electricity to run them. Bullet trains also have wifi and I doubt that one does.

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by So101: 9:59am On Dec 16, 2017
It’s just in a lot of our bloods to criticize it’s Better to appreciate the one you’ve seen and pray for upgrades na wa for some people sha never seeing anything good about a situation tells alot about your mindset my people positivity is key to growth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 16, 2017
Coolboi05:

Poverty don chop your brain finish, Oh God pls never let me settle for less in my dear life ooh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Drunk Man Rams Into A Compound While Returning From A Club With Ladies. Photos / Checkout This Lady Commercial Driver In Lagos (photos) / Nigeria Acquires New Train Coaches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.