Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy (35843 Views)

Idris Adanno: 'Sultan Of Shuwa Arabs Of Edo State' Coronation Sparks Outrage / Sultan of Sokoto: North Is The Worst Place To Live, Bandits Operate Freely / Amir, Sultan Of Sokoto’s Son Had Accident After ‘Getting High On Codeine’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by emmanuelex1(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
How do we know this is truly Kenya?
adeblow:
Kenya is a member of common wealth, but they don't see the hijab thing as an issue. My people for naija don carry the thing for head
Here is a picture of their Chief justice with people being called to bar
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by lexy2014: 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
adeblow:

What has right hand drive got to do with this??
everything my Darling. U are d one who brought Kenya and how they operate cos they are Commonwealth. Every nation has its own way of viewing issues. Doesn't mean cause they do it in Kenya, a Commonwealth country, then automatically, we should adopt same. Am sure u got my point.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Okoroawusa: 8:55pm On Dec 17, 2017
Ummuihsan:

NAwa wool for una. But I think u don't have a problem going to the Bar with a short mini skirt. And perhaps wats ur problem with hijab. E dey pinch wuna for body?[color=#990000][/color]
My comment has nothing to do wit hijab...
Am talking abt publicity...there is no bad publicity.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by seniormallam(m): 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
must our Muslim brother and sister's use force and violent to always prove a point? why not write to NBA before that day? travelling one day like that and our bus driver said he wants to top fuel and this guy came down as if he wants to stretch his legs then next we saw him performing ablution, I felt like shooting him that day meanwhile it was during Ramadan fasting and this idiot did not fast he said one is exempted during long journey, even other Muslim brothers in the bus where shaming on he's behalf, the driver just closed the door and drove off the next thing we saw him chasing the bus, the driver only asked him one question that silenced him, Oga you charter this bus?
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by princefunmmy(m): 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
bitchcrafts:
Its very imperative people need to go back to the literature and get some definitions right. How can people seem to forget so fast that the key word in any definition of religion has everything to do with obedience?
Were they even listening when it was stated that putting on hijjab(head covering) is mandatory in the religion in question here?

How can people be comparing the ceremonial dresses worn on special days by varied evangelical movements within the diversified Christendom a direct alternate to hijjab without which the Muslim lady is as good as naked, How clownish is that argument!

Are people this stupid or just giving it there best shot today?

Wtf!
Did you read a copy of their religious prospectus before you came up with this conclusion? Don't you think that they were reasonable enough to know that the religious (not Spiritual) laws were made for them and they were not made for these laws
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 9:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
Some Muslims and there manner of reasoning....everything is by force and in a violent manner. Was she the only Muslim sister that was called to bar?..just to prove no point you ended up not to be called to Bar.....next year wear the same Hijab and come...you will still be chased out until your Brian goes into factory settings to know how much that was waisted in your education for you to attain this level....olodo
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
abeg they should just take chill pills on this whole talk. a tweep said they warned her to take off the hijab but she refused. abi was she the only Muslim in there that day? if everyone is allowed to always dress so religiously, imagine what a person who serves amadioha would've looked like.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by lexy2014: 9:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
olalekan1:
No convention of any association or group should deny another person his or her fundamental human right he or she enjoy under the Constitution. Just as the constitution permit her to wear hijab anywhere and the same NBA is also under the same constitution, NBA have to bend their rule on Hijab or any other religious outfit.
u are absolutely right. But when u look @ d practice of islam, it actually deprives its adherents their rights especially women. But Muslims turn a blind eye but want society 2 respect their women more than Islam respects its women. For instance, freedom of association is under threat in Islam cos men&women aren't allowed 2 interact in d mosque. Again, women are "hidden" in d mosque and can't aspire 2b imams. Are these not deprivations which negate d principles&provisions of d Nigerian constitution which u mentioned?if u can allow ur constitutional rights 2b trampled upon by ur religion ur whole life, then y cant u remove ur hijab just 4a few minuteso?y d hypocrisy?
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by smilek(m): 9:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
[

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Dante2008(m): 9:30pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:
Has the Sultan spoke up against the campaign of terror, incessant killings and the destruction of lives and property been perpetrated by the terrorists group -
Fulani herdsmen?
yes he did several times, please go and get ur fact...what is d problem with u guys, leave Islam alone and face ur religion
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by slivertongue: 9:32pm On Dec 17, 2017
. nigeria and controvesy. y nt obey the rule of the profession or leave them. the way we are going soon there will be NO law to govern our relations. At NYSC camp some will cover their face even wen they know physical identification is key. this unnecessary brohahas point to the fact that we need to rejig the system to accomodate our idiosyncrasies
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by josite: 9:39pm On Dec 17, 2017
I'm not for the hijab girl but if it is true that the ex chief justice wore it during court sessions and no one complained,why should they deny the girl.can't she follow the footsteps of a former chief justice of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Dante2008(m): 9:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
lexy2014:
u are absolutely right. But when u look @ d practice of islam, it actually deprives its adherents their rights especially women. But Muslims turn a blind eye but want society 2 respect their women more than Islam respects its women. For instance, freedom of association is under threat in Islam cos men&women aren't allowed 2 interact in d mosque. Again, women are "hidden" in d mosque and can't aspire 2b imams. Are these not deprivations which negate d principles&provisions of d Nigerian constitution which u mentioned?if u can allow ur constitutional rights 2b trampled upon by ur religion ur whole life, then y cant u remove ur hijab just 4a few minuteso?y d hypocrisy?
man you are getting it all mixed up, ok then, tell the Catholic priest that said his understanding of his religion asked him not to get married to a lady as been wrong because his religious understanding is infringing on his constitutional right. See stop all this, no woman is force to follow her religion, she does these things on her own that is why u will not see the generality of Muslim women doing the same thing is her choice if she choose to follow the religion in the best way. Please understand this.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by PheezyLee(m): 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
Mohammad Sa'ad Abubakar is a religious bigot that talks from both sides of his mouth.

Being an islamic hypocrite, he tried to gain public appeal by saying the hijab is a christian dressing as well as what every woman should wear...

that is the most stupid statement from a leader of the parasitic northern Nigeria.

He should as well tell traditional worshipers to dress in their respective regalia as commanded by their gods. Cherubim and Seraphim should come in their white gown while Olumba Olumba should wear red.

Stupid religious bigots hiding behind the constitution to promote their islamic intolerance and terrorism.

Whenever i see your monicker, i'm like bobo ode yen niyi...you are known for making senseless contributions so no one can take you serious

A muslim lady wears her hijab everyday and everywhere, if c &s with ur olumba does d same too then allowing them will be deliberated. Mumu
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by otokx(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2017
One Nigeria indeed.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by lexy2014: 10:21pm On Dec 17, 2017
Dante2008:
man you are getting it all mixed up, ok then, tell the Catholic priest that said his understanding of his religion asked him not to get married to a lady as been wrong because his religious understanding is infringing on his constitutional right. See stop all this, no woman is force to follow her religion, she does these things on her own that is why u will not see the generality of Muslim women doing the same thing is her choice if she choose to follow the religion in the best way. Please understand this.
am getting it all right and I like d way u have clearly shot urself in d foot. I will explain. Every religion, association, group or institution has its norms and 4u 2 participate as a member of any of these, u must accept its norms. If we can accept religious norms that deprive us of our constitutional rights(which u were d first 2 bring into this discussion), then y can't a person not b able 2 abide by d simple norm of dressing properly. Like u said, they made a choice. A choice 2do what?to obey, to abide by d norms no matter how degrading. If a woman chooses 2abide by d norms of Islam which prevents freedom of association in d mosque cos its part of what makes her a good muslim, then y disobey d norms of ur law school?if a catholic priest goes 2d seminary, he knows d sacrifices he has to make. He can't go there saying its his right to have a girl friend. That's bullshit. Seminary has its norms. So does Islam and so does law school. U can't get into these groups and start claiming right. There are norms that govern these groups. If u can't abide by them, u get out. Its as simple as that. Clearly u are being sentimental cos u are confronted with d reality of d constitution. It has exposed d hypocrisy in this hijab outcry now u are now talking of catholic priest. Is there freedom of association in d mosque?whether its right or wrong is not d issue. That is a norm of Islam despite d fact that it deprives muslims of their rights as enshrined in d constitution. But 4 Muslim faithfuls, u can't b claiming right in this instance cos its a norm that governs d religion. Same applies 4 law school.there are norms. Its that simple. If u want 2 follow d constitution, follow it 2d latter. Don't quote it when its convenient 4u and when u are confronted with d truth, u run away

2 Likes

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Obec70(m): 10:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
Born to rule mentality!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Obec70(m): 10:23pm On Dec 17, 2017
Born to rule mentality! Think they have sharia court let them call to sharia bar.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by dragon2(m): 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2017
she (the lady in question) is basically carrying over the rules and regulations of one organisation ( Islam) and enforcing it to and against the rules of the other (NBA). The moment you accept one organisation , you are bound by its rules.
If you freely accept Islam,your rights are curbed by that organization,except the fundamental human right.( in this case, the right of association.) which guarantees you the right to exit and form yours/ join another. It is same if you freely accept the NBA.

The court has no jurisdiction over association rules because she freely entered and can freely leave. Hence she has no right to enforce the rules of one organisation(Islam) on another(NBA)

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by dyydxx: 10:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nigeria is actually a secular country because the constitution expressly prohibits a state religion, in other words, there ought to be a separation of religion from the state/Governance. So, Nigeria is a secular country that has multi-religious and multi-cultural ethnicities.

Now the same constitution that guarantees freedom of religion, also guarantees the free rights of those who choose not to express any religious beliefs. In other words, the same constitution that guarantees your right to express your religion as a muslim is the same that guarantees equal rights as a christian and all others. I hope you can understand this simple break down

Now to the issue at hand, It is a matter for the NBA in this case or the college of benchers to determine how it's members as a body should be dressed when practicing this particular profession or during the call to bar. If they choose to be religiously neutral and by that I mean ban all religious clothing and insignia across board and affecting all religious inclinations, then they are well within their constitutional right as a body to do this. This doesn't constitute any kind of discrimination or intolerance. Your right to wear hijab cannot supercede an organisation's right to determine how the organisation should be known by for their functions.

For all practical purposes, unless the NBA decides to accept ladies using hijab or any other religious wears they are within their rights to deny the said girl. The said girl is just a misguided islamic fanatic that feels she can score some cheap points.

See as a reference the ECJ ruling on a similar matter. This is just a pattern to see how more sophisticated climes have dealt with this kind of issue.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39264845

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Olameen1713: 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

Of course you are too quick to jump argunents so you dont look at the the points individuals raise.

As long as that dress code stands, hijab will not be allowed so anyone wearing it as well as any religious attire can go get called by his/her Pastor/Imam/priest

And if it's later allowed nko? Lagoon is ur final bustop
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
It's not much of a case. Was she the only Muslim lady who was called to bar that day
That's her business, not mine!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by donb06: 10:59pm On Dec 17, 2017
this reminds me of my deeperlife course mate when i saw her in nysc camp wearing shaped khaki trouser...... mehn i was like "u luk beautiful on trousers" she just blushed. so if this my staunch deeperlife frnd can be made to wear trousers due to useless NYSC then fvck this fvcked firdaus
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by deleo16(m): 12:01am On Dec 18, 2017
aleniboro:
I am a muslim and I believe this issue is just for publicity. There are ways we could have done this legally or morally by muslim bodies to first call the attention of NBA through formal letter and we can even go to court to address it. Dont let people always see us as terrorist or trouble maker or Boko Haram by creating scenes where we can solve the problem like brothers and sisters. NBA is not a christian body. Some of our muslim brethren are also part of NBA and they have not been allowing this. Our duty is to call their attention before we break their rule. Islam means peace and we are warned in the Holy Quran to respect constituted authority.
respect same goes to this imam always saying the truth

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by streamsofjoy(f): 12:01am On Dec 18, 2017
Nairaland Christians, shebi u people see as the muslim folks are supporting each other on an issue as trivial as wearing Hijab?? Some one will come and castigate pastors and u people will join the atheists, church goers and Muslims (that you cannot comment on their thread unless u make certain declarations) to Finish ur own. #bewise# u can't trust these people.

1 Like

Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by KenModi(m): 12:30am On Dec 18, 2017
Offpoint:
it's almost 2018...Visioned countries are talking about:
Advancing technology, flying cars, autonomous cars, electric cars, how to land a man in Mars, how to improve health system, fastest rockets and so on, but my visionless country is talking:
Tithes, hijab and pencils...WTF
we've been wearing hijab, paying and not paying tithes for centuries, where da-fuchk did that take Us to?

Useless things are what this nation usually exhaust their energy on.... Luggard Thunder wey go fire you still dey training camp for Pluto.

Most meaningful comment on this thread.

The minds of Nigerians and Africans in general still remain in the 18th century when most most parts of the world moved on a long time ago.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by desgiezd(m): 12:32am On Dec 18, 2017
I still wonder why this should even be an issue at all. Institutions do have rules, written or unwritten, and these rules should be obeyed by whoever finds himself or herself within that institution. Whoever feels too big for such rules should simply stay away.

Imagine if this hijab thing is allowed and a traditionalist gets there dressing like a Dibia or Orisabunmi, or like any of those women wearing white dresses all over the streets of Lagos with their white calabashes or a K & S / Celestial Church member gets there with their white garments, just imagine the chaos!!

In this Country, we like blowing issues out of proportion leaving, unattended, those matters that affect us adversely and allowing trivial issues gain national prominence!!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Cityguy: 12:41am On Dec 18, 2017
Would have been surprised if that raghead has said something different. Not disappointed.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by herich(m): 12:41am On Dec 18, 2017
aleniboro:
I am a muslim and I believe this issue is just for publicity. There are ways we could have done this legally or morally by muslim bodies to first call the attention of NBA through formal letter and we can even go to court to address it. Dont let people always see us as terrorist or trouble maker or Boko Haram by creating scenes where we can solve the problem like brothers and sisters. NBA is not a christian body. Some of our muslim brethren are also part of NBA and they have not been allowing this. Our duty is to call their attention before we break their rule. Islam means peace and we are warned in the Holy Quran to respect constituted authority.
Simple advise and approach from a wise man.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by toye440: 12:49am On Dec 18, 2017
"If you are emotionally attached to your tribe or political leaning to the point that truth and justice become secondary considerations, your education is useless. Your exposure is useless. If you cannot reason beyond petty sentiments, you are a liability to mankind." - Late Dr. Yusuf Bala Usman (1945-2005), My his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, Amin.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by tee4naija(m): 4:12am On Dec 18, 2017
With due respect Your eminence, you were also in the military for several years before ascending the throne of your forefathers. Why didn't you wear turban as a soldier? Kindly provide us an answer to this as soon as possible. Thanks.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Arielle: 6:21am On Dec 18, 2017
amazon14:

Did you speak against burning of so many church by brothers the jihadist
Religion of piss

How about the murders of thousands of christians? Hypocrites. This country needs to be divided. It is impossible to coexist with people who think like this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully / Photos From Princess Adesola's 45th Birthday Celebration / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.