Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti (2653 Views)

MASSOB Makes Fresh Appeal To UN For Biafra / Jonathan Accuses Buhari Of Gay Pledge To World Powers Over Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by newmaster(m): 3:40am On Apr 02, 2010
Nigeria makes fresh $5m pledge to Haiti
By AGENCY REPORTER, Published: Friday, 2 Apr 2010

View All (0) Comment(s)

Nigeria has pledged $5m for the reconstruction of Haiti following the devastation caused by an earthquake on January 12.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Nigeria made the pledge on Wednesday in New York at the International Donor Conference for Haiti, where nearly $10bn was realised.

At the conference, co-hosted by the United Nations, the US and Haiti, UN member states and international partners pledged $5.3bn for the next two years and $9.9bn in total for the next three years and beyond.

Nigeria‘s Permanent Representative to the UN, Prof. Joy Ogwu, who announced the country‘s donation, said it was in addition to the 1.5 million dollars cash presented to the UN Flash Appeal Fund for Haiti in January.

The immediate past Foreign Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, presented the donation in New York and also pledged humanitarian and medical supplies worth $3.5m.

Ogwu told the UN-backed donor conference that in addition to the pledge, Nigeria would “assess and decide further ways to assist the people of Haiti.”

She said the challenge before the international community was to ensure that “medium and long-term measures enable the Haitian government to grow its economy, provide social services and meet its national and international obligations.

“The support we must give must be coordinated, coherent and consistent to avoid duplication, waste and overlap.

“Bilateral and multilateral donors must also take into account Haiti‘s national development strategy and offer comprehensive assistance that benefits the generality of the people.”

The Nigerian envoy, who was a prominent voice at the UN Security Council for the International Donor Conference for the long-term development of Haiti, emphasised Nigeria’s historical affinity with the people of Haiti.

“This affinity impels us to feel the pain and sorrow of Haitians in their most trying moments,” she said.

In an interview with NAN, the Foreign Affairs Minister of Benin Republic, Mr. Jean Marie Ehouzou, said the task ahead of the international community in rebuilding Haiti was huge.

Ehouzou expressed optimism that the African Union would make real its resolution to assist the Caribbean country following a resolution at the last meeting in Addis Ababa.

The foreign minister downplayed the absence of AU representatives at the meeting, insisting that “Africa has a special link with Haiti and we are here to support them.”

The European Union, an active participant in the donor conference, pledged $1.7bn to the rebuilding efforts in Haiti.

As many as 300,000 people were reportedly killed in the 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Haiti, regarded as the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

The disaster crippled the government and caused damage estimated at between $8bn and $14 bn.

Aid agencies have advocated that Haiti should be directly involved in the reconstruction efforts, but monitoring mechanisms should be included.

There are indications that the World Bank is due to act as a “fiscal agent” of a Multi Donors Trust Fund for Haiti.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100402422665
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Shaunscot(m): 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2010
While I sympathise with the Haitians, I wonder what impact that money will make if properly channeled into the power sector.

Remove the twig in ur eyes first.

Fracking thieves. angry angry
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Redman44(m): 12:57pm On Apr 02, 2010
While I'm not against the Federal Government assisting Haiti in its quest for redevelopment, I feel we need to sort out our own problems first. Charity begins at home. There are some local areas in Nigeria that look like disaster zones sad sad I've been to some villages in Nigeria that look like war zones and there is so much poverty in those places. I even wonder how people are surviving there shocked shocked Lets fix our own poverty infested towns and hamlets first before helping other countries. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Shaunscot(m): 1:06pm On Apr 02, 2010
Redman44:

While I'm not against the Federal Government assisting Haiti in its quest for redevelopment, I feel we need to sort out our own problems first. Charity begins at home. There are some local areas in Nigeria that look like disaster zones sad sad I've been to some villages in Nigeria that look like war zones and there is so much poverty in those places. I even wonder how people are surviving there shocked shocked Lets fix our own poverty infested towns and hamlets first before helping other countries. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com

My point exactly
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by sesman(m): 1:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
Redman44:

hear hear! . I completely agree with this statement
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Ehimax(m): 1:19pm On Apr 02, 2010
Our own youths are complaining of mass employment,no good roads,no good power supply to mention but a few. And those crazy thives called the goverment are donating to anorther country when it's own disaster is even worst than a natural disaster and needs immediate attention what an irony.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Rhea(f): 1:22pm On Apr 02, 2010
The $5m will be sent to Haiti through the Senate & Hose of Reps, the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of foreign affairs, the Nigerian High Commission in Port Au Prince before it gets to the Haitians. How much do you think will eventually get there? This is Naija! Obvious ways to siphon money into personal bank accounts.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by MPEROR: 2:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
At least we look good
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by beystwin: 2:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
Nah today?

no be pledge dem pledge? de monei no go rech haiti a begi.

how many naija pekin dey honor our pledge?

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

LOl
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by OvieE: 2:26pm On Apr 02, 2010
Redman44:

www.vibes-extra..com

Well said broda
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by slap1(m): 2:27pm On Apr 02, 2010
I hope this does not turn out a potential smear on our already battered image, because I don't see us redeeming this pledge any time soon.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 02, 2010
another scam of the state.the drama continues
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 02, 2010
Not a bad idea provided the $5m gets to its final destination
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by truly: 3:38pm On Apr 02, 2010
I don't support this because all I hear our rulers tell Nigerians everyday is that "the government cannot afford this or afford that"

$5m @N151:$1 is N750m

Can this set up a factory, hospital or provide scholarship? Of course
Companies still go to the capital market to raise N2b
And if it just a 419 pledge
Another blight on our image
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by yme1(f): 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2010
i am not against Nigeria helping the Haiti
but the truth need to be told
Naija is in bad shape and that money is gonna help alot undecided

~Bluetooth:

funny  grin but i second this comment too
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by wellfed: 3:40pm On Apr 02, 2010
Speechless!
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by truly: 3:40pm On Apr 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

The proper destination is the immediate welfare of the Nigerian people
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by cannyharis: 3:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
Its really unfortunate that we spend so much money on relief materials outside the country while places like jos and so many other states are in dire need of relief materials

o mase o

Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
truly:

The proper destination is the immediate welfare of the Nigerian people
i dont think so cuz you cant rule out help in international cycles.it's like saving for the rainy days.if every other persons/countries/organisation decided not to help on the basis of their immediate problems too,then who will help those people in haiti.learn to be your brothers keeper
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2010
[/quote][quote author=~Bluetooth link=topic=423883.msg5817780#msg5817780 date=1270219744]
i dont think so cuz you cant rule out help in international cycles.it's like saving for the rainy days.if every other persons/countries/organisation decided not to help on the basis of their immediate problems too,then who will help those people in haiti.learn to be your brothers keeper
. well said bro, i wonder if some posters read or listen to nigerian news to know of d free health care n dev programs being carried out by foreign gov and org
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by truly: 4:16pm On Apr 02, 2010
careytommy:

. well said bro, i wonder if some posters read or listen to nigerian news to know of d free health care n dev programs being carried out by foreign gov and org
Exactly,
why should a beggar be assisting beggars
Let us stop this big brother self-deceit.
we made some concessionary loan to Ghana during Obj era
Now all I hear is that Ghana is a better destination for investment than Nigeria
And by the way, what about the blood sacrifice we already make through peacekeeping operations
That should count for someting
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 02, 2010
truly:

Exactly,
why should a beggar be assisting beggars
Let us stop this big brother self-deceit.
we made some concessionary loan to Ghana during Obj era
Now all I hear is that Ghana is a better destination for investment than Nigeria
And by the way, what about the blood sacrifice we already make through peacekeeping operations
That should count for someting
that is what they called diplomacy.have you forgotten that nigeria still recieve gifts,incentives,donations and loans form international donors and western countries despite our oil wealth.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by bobokelly(m): 4:40pm On Apr 02, 2010
Well it good to assist, but ,that $5m is too much, haaaaa, ttheyhave also share their portion on the money, in other words, all the money is not going to ,hatti
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by mrkoma2012: 4:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
mistaken priority bunch of wankers
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by MsTom(f): 5:21pm On Apr 02, 2010
Ok, is this for real or another way to steal money?
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by mamagee3(f): 6:37pm On Apr 02, 2010
Are you trying to say that with all the Electricity problems, Housing problems and other difficulties that has befallen Nigeria.
The Government is using our money to give to a country that's less priviledged like us.
If this happens, may the thunder of Otunba strike Goodluck Jonathan and his administration dead. angry angry
Those scumbags are giving the country's money to Haiti while most of my relations are in Nigeria looking for resources to use for a New beginning.
angry
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by OnyeBabe1(f): 8:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
WOW, I cant believe people are not prepared to help those in worse situations than themselves. I hope the government really does help.

Be charitable people, it is a good thing.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by nigerhead(m): 8:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
I'm not against this effort but, the suffering our people are going through is as much as the Hatians. I think the problem is not really the fact that they want to give, but the fact that we know that at least a quarter of that money will not get to Haiti, if not even half of the money , Nigeria should remove the log in its eye before going to remove the speck in another person's eye. A whole $5million, when we cannot just put up good roads and constant light. NONSENCE!!!
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by TewMuch: 8:57pm On Apr 02, 2010
How about they make pledges to Nigerian people first, and clean up their own house. This is real mistaken priority! So many people suffering in Nigeria, and they are sending money to Haiti. What kind of rubbish government is this? They are concerned about false images.nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by member479760: 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2010
A lot of us on this forum are not better than our leaders even worse than them in thinking or whatever. Emotion controls us when discussing on issues and some of us always focus on our society thoughtlessly and personally instead of nationally and globally in order to meet the present challenges.
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by OnyeBabe1(f): 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
My thinking is based on morality, if Nigeria thinks it can help, why not? We also find ourselves in need of help but if we can help others better than we can help ourselves then we should.

By the way, Nigeria gets a lot of help.

Developing countries would only grow if they help each other, either by trade or aid.

Most of you guys need to press the reset buttons and think fresh, stop talking and go help where you can.

smiley
Re: Nigeria Makes Fresh $5m Pledge To Haiti by Redman44(m): 10:58pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ Onye Babe,

While I respect your stand on this issue and recognise that you have the right to express your opinions, I feel you need to know some things. Have you visited local communities in Nigeria? Some of our towns, villages and hamlets are worse than Haitian towns after the Earthquake. I was shocked when I visited riverine communities in Ondo State while I was serving in 2006. I was a member of the Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship [ NCCF ] and personally attended three village outreaches through the Christian body. You need to see the level of poverty in places like Sabotu, Igbeme, etc. There were no tarred roads, the school buildings were dilapidated with ugly looking furniture [ I know these because Corpers slept on mattresses in the classrooms ], the Police Post at Sabotu was a joke, and I saw many Stone Age houses sad sad sad I saw so much poverty while we were preaching from house to house around the communities. Those sad images are still in my head as I type cry cry cry

The proposed $5m dollars meant for Haiti will alleviate the suffering of the people of Sabotu, Igbeme and many other poverty infested areas of Nigeria. Even in Lagos, I've seen many poor and hungry children living with their parents in shacks. You need to see Nigerians living in poverty in Ibadan and Akure, two State Capitals. In Akure, there is an area called Isolo. I lived in a flat in that area as a youth corper. The poverty in the area is frightening with goats sharing rooms with people. Many youths were unemployed and I saw many teenage girls becoming mothers at a young age. I had to give my personal belongings to people in the area when I completed my Youth Service. We need to sort out our own problems first before trying to help other nations. Is America not close to Haiti? So the Americans did not see the suffering in Haiti before the disaster? Who is fooling who here shocked shocked shocked At the end of the day, it is the Charities [ Hmn, we know how much their executives earn ] that gain, and not the unfortunate citizens of Haiti. I'm not against helping others, but Nigerian communities have been in a perpetual state of poverty and underdevelopment. If Rtd Gen Tunde Idiagbon [ Rest In Peace, Great One ] was in power, I know he would have sent about $300,000 to Haiti while using the rest of the money to develop Nigeria. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’m Not Planning To Abandon Atiku – Ibb / Ogun Police Uncover Ritualists’ Shrine / Lagos Light Rail Will Be Completed By June 2013 Says Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.