Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? (2146 Views)

VIN Tampering: A Case Study /Imgdump / N90million Koenigsegg Regera’s Key Is The Most Expensive Car Key In The World / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 8:27am On Dec 20, 2017
Goodmorning car gurus in the house.

I lost the key to my 2005 Avalon limited (has a has a press to start ignition) some days ago. I got someone to get a blank key and program it (yet to be done with this though).
However, on asking about cutting the metal key that comes with the remote key which is usually used to open the car door when the battery of the remote key runs down, he told me he' d have to take out the car door to do this.
When I asked about using the VIN of the car to cut the key without necessarily taking out the car door, I was told it s only done abroad and can't be done in Nigeria.
Please, can you guys clarify this issue for me before someone does more harm than good to my car.

Thanks for the responses
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by vemamevixa: 2:32pm On Dec 20, 2017
You can call me THE JAGABAN of Auto Servicing
Celebrities call me THE BADDOO of Auto Servicing
Female Clients call me THE KOKOMASTER of Auto Servicing
Naija Clients call me THE DON of Auto Servicing
But I am Know everywhere as THE SURGEON GENERAL OF Auto Servicing

I Am DAYO SAMUEL, the Ogbonge Auto Mechanic - with over 23 years of delivering the best Auto Repairs, Servicing and Maintenance for satisfied clients across Nigeria

Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 8:29pm On Dec 20, 2017
Still hoping for a reply please
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:00am On Dec 21, 2017
jennann:
Still hoping for a reply please

To my own understanding, it is not as easy as u think. If someone can just make out a key from VIN number then all a car thief needs to do is walk to ur car and copy the VIN number on the windshield, make a key and the next time u park ur car u might not meet it there by the time u get back.

True keys can be requested with vin numbers from dealers who then get a coded key from manufacturers. But u will need to provide id and enough proof that u are actually the owner of the car. For a 2005 car that is already 12 yrs old it would be even more difficult as the car might have already passed through 2-4 different owners. And from Nigeria here it is almost impossible. It would be much easier if the car was bought brand new from dealership here.

1 Like

Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayor2013: 12:16am On Dec 21, 2017
For a Toyota with a transponder key you do not need the vin to programme any key to the car. In your case all that needs to be done is to get blank key with a transponder chip which synchronises with the immobiliser of your car. This key needs to be cut to size and shape as master key inorder for it to fit perfectly well into your ignition cylinder. In the above case of yours. I think the person doing that job is having a problem with the programming of the car. He doesn't need to take out the car door. Did you misplace all keys?

For safety reasons and how sensitive this is I might not be able to divulge all that needs to be done on this platform. You can reach me on my signature so as to take you through on what needs to be done
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2017
mayor2013:
For a Toyota with a transponder key you do not need the vin to programme any key to the car. In your case all that needs to be done is to get blank key with a transponder chip which synchronises with the immobiliser of your car. This key needs to be cut to size and shape as master key inorder for it to fit perfectly well into your ignition cylinder. In the above case of yours. I think the person doing that job is having a problem with the programming of the car. He doesn't need to take out the car door. Did you misplace all keys?

For safety reasons and how sensitive this is I might not be able to divulge all that needs to be done on this platform. You can reach me on my signature so as to take you through on what needs to be done

Op's car is push to start and no need to put any key in the ignition. However where he's having problem is cutting the metal key that can be used to open the doors manually when the battery in the key fob runs out. Since he already lost the master key, I think taking out the locks of the door becomes necessary to cut the key.

1 Like

Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayor2013: 6:28pm On Dec 21, 2017
greenhulk:

Op's car is push to start and no need to put any key in the ignition. However where he's having problem is cutting the metal key that can be used to open the doors manually when the battery in the key fob runs out. Since he already lost the master key, I think taking out the locks of the door becomes necessary to cut the key.

Oh thanks for the correction. My bad. It's a push to start
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by baconline(m): 9:02pm On Dec 21, 2017
yes its done here but very rear as such cutters are expensive and the average Nigerian would not pay for such service. Its called cut by code. Such code can be found using the VIN or found printed on some parts of the vehicle. Once its inputted into the cutting machine it will cut out the exact key for the car.Mechanical only
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by baconline(m): 9:03pm On Dec 21, 2017
yes its done here but very rear as such cutters are expensive and the average Nigerian would not pay for such service. Its called cut by code. Such code can be found using the VIN or found printed on some parts of the vehicle. Once its inputted into the cutting machine it will cut out the exact key for the car.Mechanical only
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayor2013: 9:28pm On Dec 21, 2017
baconline:

Do you know the subscription fee to that. Means that device has to have all info(softwares) regarding antitheft system. So therefore manufacturer of the device need get a licence from each an every car manufacturers. In this part of the world we see this things as a peanut while heavy fees are to be paid for this. It's quite a sad one
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 1:19pm On Dec 22, 2017
Thank you all for the replies. The key was cut by taking out just the keyhole on the door. I just wanted to be sure before going through that route to cut the key. Thanks again.
However, I have another problem. I asked that two keys be gotten and programmed so I can have a spare. However, after the programming, just one of the key fobs works well. The car does not open automatically when I come close to the car with the second key neither does the car start unless I bring the it close to almost touch the start button. The car does not also close automatically when I press the black sensor button on the door. Thus second key only works when I press the buttons on the it.
On asking the guy who did the work for me, he told me that s the way it usually is as only one of the two keys will work fully while the second key works as I just said as above.
I think the guy s lying though and just wants to get me off his Ass. Can someone let me know if what he said is true or not? Thanks again
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayor2013: 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2017
jennann:
Thank you all for the replies. The key was cut by taking out just the keyhole on the door. I just wanted to be sure before going through that route to cut the key. Thanks again.
However, I have another problem. I asked that two keys be gotten and programmed so I can have a spare. However, after the programming, just one of the key fobs works well. The car does not open automatically when I come close to the car with the second key neither does the car start unless I bring the it close to almost touch the start button. The car does not also close automatically when I press the black sensor button on the door. Thus second key only works when I press the buttons on the it.
On asking the guy who did the work for me, he told me that s the way it usually is as only one of the two keys will work fully while the second key works as I just said as above.
I think the guy s lying though and just wants to get me off his Ass. Can someone let me know if what he said is true or not? Thanks again

Check battery of the late responding remote

1 Like

Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2017
Battery has been replaced with a new one and problem still persists
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 22, 2017
Weak signals from that second prox remote no doubt, and since you have a new battery in (hoping it's a good one) it just could be that the prox remote is not entirely compatible with your car. That prox remotes look alike does not mean they're interchangeable.
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayor2013: 6:18am On Dec 23, 2017
jennann:
Battery has been replaced with a new one and problem still persists

Was the right battery used. If you use cheap batteries you would have a problem like this with the remote fob
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 8:41am On Dec 23, 2017
I bought the battery from where I usually get it. Will change it again elsewhere and if the problem persists, may as well ask that the 'faulty' remote be replaced afterall, I paid quite some amount of money for the replacement and can't afford to have one of them not working fully.
Thanks for the suggestions and advices so far.
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by baconline(m): 9:32pm On Dec 23, 2017
jennann:
Big lie. The second key is bad. The circuit board is bad. Have it returned back. The car can receive of to 4 fobs and they will all behave the same way
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by jennann(f): 10:38pm On Dec 23, 2017
Ok. Thanks guys for making this clearer to me.
Some people will want to be paid without doing their jobs properly. It s a pity. And he was seriously insisting that' s the way it works. Just had to come on here to ask since I was not sure as I haven't had a first hand experience on this.
I can now insist he changes the faulty key
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 23, 2017
Tell him to reprogramme just only that second prox remote. It will become clear whether it's good or bad. Reprogramming deletes the earlier two values programmed.
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by mayorall(m): 8:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
jennann:
Ok. Thanks guys for making this clearer to me.
Some people will want to be paid without doing their jobs properly. It s a pity. And he was seriously insisting that' s the way it works. Just had to come on here to ask since I was not sure as I haven't had a first hand experience on this.
I can now insist he changes the faulty key

Good Day sir/Ma, we got a notification, you are trying to reach us. Kindly reach us on whatsapp 09090182842. Thanks

O. Isreal
Re: Can A Car VIN Be Used To Cut A Key In Nigeria? by leonn(m): 10:27pm On Mar 02, 2018
Bros it's not too much to read understand what Op is saying before commenting g
mayor2013:

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Won't Start / Urgent Advice Needed On Corolla 2009 And 1999 Benz C180 1999 / Multiple Car Pile-up On The M5 - 27 Vehicles Involved, Several Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.