Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare (23766 Views)

Plot Summary Of A Midsummer Night's Dream By William Shakespeare / Top 20 Timeless Quotes From The William Shakespeare / James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by ibnzubair(m): 7:16am On Dec 24, 2017
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by akeentech(m): 7:17am On Dec 24, 2017
tstx:
He was married to Anne Hathaway... Currently there's one Anne hathaway in Hollywood
His granddaughter
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Brugo(m): 7:17am On Dec 24, 2017
badebillions:

He was a black guy.

You have his portrait? Or, somehow, you are in possession of a document that the rest of the world does not know about? Come on!
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by hopefulLandlord: 7:18am On Dec 24, 2017
Arondizuogu:

Did you watch the Princess diaries? I love her from there onward.
she has a pretty face and all but her body is just too thin but to each its own
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by zephry(m): 7:21am On Dec 24, 2017
eghuan1:
There's a belief that some of his best works we're written by a black woman, and he put his name as the writer. The man didn't have good education
where did you see dis one again o
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by geniousisrael: 7:22am On Dec 24, 2017
pls anyone with tstv decoder or how to get it.09039616860
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by tstx(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2017
akeentech:
His granddaughter
lie.... I just checked
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by BrytSky: 7:23am On Dec 24, 2017
nnamdibig:
His date of birth unknown yet he got married at 18. undecided undecided undecided
lol
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:26am On Dec 24, 2017
eghuan1:

Yes black woman. Saw the documentary on the history channel
Those are conspiracy theories. No one knows for sure. He was unknown when Marlowe ruled and after that his disappearance(Marlowe was hit with a bottle in a beer parlour. That was the story put out) W.S surfaced.

But a black woman? I don't think so. And considering the time, it stripes the narrative of credence. What is a black woman doing in England in the 16th century? Then, slavery has not happened and even if it is happening, when did she master meters and trochaic to that extent when it was a crime to even give a black person an education?

Yeah. Their were crackers. When Black people kept white slaves we intermixed but that was over 30 centuries. It wasn't just some five century ago. The story doesn't have any base to stand on. On maybe I'm making an argument without understanding what was said or presented. Tell me, what exactly was the argument? How did they link it?
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

she has a pretty face and all but her body is just too thin but to each its own

Hollywood doesn't appreciate fat. I like it a bit fleshy too.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by AuroraB(f): 7:27am On Dec 24, 2017
"Anne Hathaway". sad
Haba mana, lol grin
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by bizzleAds: 7:27am On Dec 24, 2017
akeentech:
From my deep research he was a Yoruba man from Ikire Osun state

beeni
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 24, 2017
akeentech:

His granddaughter

Oga granddaughter? Shakespear lives in 1500's and This Anne was born in 1980's. This is just funny lol.
What's up. Happy Sunday.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Iamtipsyy(m): 7:30am On Dec 24, 2017
He played for arsenal, found out recently.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by eghuan1(m): 7:34am On Dec 24, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Those are conspiracy theories. No one knows for sure. He was unknown when Marlowe ruled and after that his disappearance(Marlowe was hit with a bottle in a beer parlour. That was the story put out) W.S surfaced.

But a black woman? I don't think so. And considering the time, it stripes the narrative of credence. What is a black woman doing in England in the 16th century? Then, slavery has not happened and even if it is happening, when did she master meters and trochaic to that extent when it was a crime to even give a black person an education?

Yeah. Their were crackers. When Black people kept white slaves we intermixed but that was over 30 centuries. It wasn't just some five century ago. The story doesn't have any base to stand on. On maybe I'm making an argument without understanding what was said or presented. Tell me, what exactly was the argument? How did they link it?

You may want to Google Amelia Bassano Lanier.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Alphasoar(m): 7:35am On Dec 24, 2017
Really?
Anyways happy christmas to all. Wishing you all a blessed celebrations and a fruitful new year.
www.alphasoars.com
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by eghuan1(m): 7:38am On Dec 24, 2017
zephry:

where did you see dis one again o

Amelia Bassano Lanier, Google that name. I don't say anything without having fact
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2017
eghuan1:
There's a belief that some of his best works we're written by a black woman, and he put his name as the writer. The man didn't have good education
probably because I'm those days, books written by women were published using a male figure.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:51am On Dec 24, 2017
Shakespeare my man. If you did literature and you didn't fall in love with Shakespeare's works, is that one literature. Literature begins and end with Shakespeare.

1 Like

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by mickeyenglish(m): 7:59am On Dec 24, 2017
You guys are missing something here! The conspiracy of Christopher Marlow is a minor one. The major and most widely accepted conspiracy theory was that his plays were originally written by the great British Philosopher Francis Bacon. If you are not familiar with Francis Bacon, then you need to do a quick research on him.

Post No Bill.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:59am On Dec 24, 2017
eghuan1:

You may want to Google Amelia Bassano Lanier.
I think it's purely a confusion of metaphor for denotative language. I think when Shakespeare spoke of the Dark Lady in his Sonnets, that is, the beggetter of his poems, it was confused for a black skin lady.

After making a little research, these are my findings. First, she's not white but a Jewish, and she's not dark either. She's a writer too with similar writing content, not style, as W.S. She is the first woman to write something in England. She's a feminist, a stage performer and teacher.

https://www.snopes.com/amelia-bassano-william-shakespeare/

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/john-hudson/shakespeares-dark-lady-amelia-bassano-lanier/

My inference. If she was black she wouldn't have been allowed to publish a book in the England of that time. If she was black she wouldn't be allowed into the schools to teach anyone or on stage to address any audience. Even Michael Jackson, in the 80s, had to change skin colour.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that she's not 'so white'. She's not white and her colour was a bit tanned like that of Barack Obama. More like the face of the Singer Jennifer Lopez. The name W.S could have been anything, but left to me, if there's anyone that fits the profile, it is that muse, agnostic and nonconformist, Christopher Marlowe. It is not Amelia Bassano Lanier.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:01am On Dec 24, 2017
mickeyenglish:
You guys are missing something here! The conspiracy of Christopher Marlow is a minor one. The major and most widely accepted conspiracy theory was that his plays were originally written by the great British Philosopher Francis Bacon. If you are not familiar with Francis Bacon, then you need to do a quick research on him.

Post No Bill.
Why would Francis Bacon, Lord Chancellor, hide under a pseudonym?
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 24, 2017
How about the writer of the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings; Tolkien?
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by delishpot: 8:33am On Dec 24, 2017
MISSCONGENIALITY:
probably because I'm those days, books written by women were published using a male figure.

And anything done by a black person had to be presented u ser a white person. No black man/woman was allowed to stand in society a success under their own name esp a back person could not patent anything. Most black discoveries had to be introduced into white society by a white man as the creator

1 Like

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by gafarolabisi2(m): 8:34am On Dec 24, 2017
and the name is synonymous to Sai Buhari. So he was Buhari's ascendant
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:43am On Dec 24, 2017
KeengTobbie:
Now this is an author... He paved way for literature to gain popularity and authors became more respected.
Kudos Shakesman wink

No he didn't. Before Shakespeare was Chaucer among others
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by raskome2017(m): 9:23am On Dec 24, 2017
Shakespeare is not real. his picture, date of birth, death day and marriage are all false.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Adamadam: 9:41am On Dec 24, 2017
[quote author=nnamdibig post=63559033]His date of birth unknown yet he got married at 18. undecided undecided undecidedYear of birth maybe known without date/month.quote]
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2017
The cake seems to be sweeter when older!
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 24, 2017
"Macbeth has murdered sleep"
I love his novels.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:37am On Dec 24, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I find his works boring.
Still can't find what the fuss about Shakespeare is all about.
If you get poetry you will get him. The bard was a master in that field and used it to communicate meanings. Just try writing ten lines of Iambic Tetrameters and tell how long it took you. Rhythm was his thing. I don't think he's overrated, I only think he's projected as the peak of literary writing. I don't think there's a peak.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Melkizedeck: 12:11pm On Dec 24, 2017
GeeStaff:
William Shakespeare is considered as one of the greatest playwrights in the history of the world. The English poet was born on April 23, 1564. He is often called the "Bard of Avon" portraying him to represent the identity, beliefs and principles of the British culture.

He is the best-selling fiction author of all time (selling over 4 billion copies of written works). His style, lessons and quotes span over 400 years and till reaps relevance in our modern culture - especially in the field of literature.

His plays have been translated into every major language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.

While Shakespeare is known for his popular works such as The Tempest, Hamlet and Macbeth - most of these book being taught at schools and colleges, a little peep closer into the life of this gifted writer reveals some truths that are often not spoken about.

The purpose of this post is to unravel some facts about Shakespeare you (probably) didn't know.

1 . Shakespeare got married at a very early age. Can you guess…? 25 maybe? You're not even close. Shakespeare joined oath together with Anne Hathaway when he was just 18. The marriage took place in Stratford, Warwickshire.

2 . Shakespeare had twins.
His marriage union with Anne Hathaway saw the birth of three children: Susan and a set of twins, Hamlet and Judith.

3 . Some of Shakespeare's best works were produced between 1589 and 1613. He predominantly produced mainly comedies and histories which are often considered to be some of the best work ever produced in these genre.

4 . The actual date of birth of Shakespeare is unknown. Although it is predominantly observed to be on 23 April, which can however be traced back to an 18th-century scholar's mistake. The widely used date - 23rd April was actually the day he died.

5 . Shakespeare's wife - Anne Hathaway, was 8 years older than him. He got married to her at age 18 while she was 26!

6 . Shakespeare has been translated into 80 languages.

7 . Shakespeare used derogatory and insulting terms in some of his plays. Contrary to popular belief that his work were mainly censored comedies and romantics, his characters knew how to call you a "slowpoke" without stooping to simplism. A collection of some of his insulting statements are on litcharts

8 . Far from being a broke artist, Shakespeare's plays made him very wealthy. In 1597, he bought the second largest house in Stratford

9 . There's a possibility that we're all spelling his name wrong. Recorded spellings of his name range from Shakspere to Shaxberd to Shappere. No documented record of him actually spelling his name as "Shakespeare.

10 . There were no portraits of Shakespeare painted in his lifetime. Therefore all existing paintings you see are all guesswork.

11 . Some scholars think Shakespeare wasn't the original writer of most of his plays. They couldn't fathom How a provincial commoner become one of the most eloquent and prolific writers in history. Even in his early career, William was writing tales that had in-depth knowledge of history and international affairs. Record doesn't indicate he went to a university.

https://geeflix.com

Shakespeare is only but a figment of the imagination. A commoner who was subtly hyped

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Once Upon A Time / Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize / The Reunion....(A Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.