Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen (7568 Views)

How To Become A Swedish Citizen Through Master's Studies / My Experience When I Moved To Sweden! / My Trip To Sweden And Poland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen by Menh: 8:22am On Dec 22, 2017
Applying for citizenship requires you to live in the country for five years and have a "proven" identity.

For those who weren't born there, here's how you become a Swede.

Be at least 18 years old — unless you know someone.

While the age requirements are hard and fast for adult citizenship, kids are given some leeway.

Parents of kids under 12 years old can apply for their child's citizenship as long as the parent is already a Swedish citizen. Kids over 12 must sign a consent form saying they want to become a citizen.

Once a child reaches 15 years old, they have to show they've been living in Sweden for at least three consecutive years "and have conducted themselves well," according to Sweden's immigration office.

Be able to prove your identity.

A passport or similar document with an accompanying photo is fine.

Alternatively, a relative or loved one can vouch for your identity, provided they're already a Swedish citizen. According to the immigration office, for a loved one to prove your identity, the two of you must have lived together before moving to Sweden.

"You must have lived together for such a period," the requirements read, "that your spouse has knowledge of your background and life story so that your identity can be attested to without doubt."

Have a permanent residence in Sweden.

If you're planning on spending more than 90 days in Sweden — for work, studying, or starting a business — you have to submit an application for a residence permit.

This is what you'll eventually need to become a citizen.

Spend five years at that permanent residence.

If you want to be an actual Swede — a citizen — you have to prove you're in it for the long haul.

There are certain circumstances when you can cut the five years short, like when you've already been living with a Swedish citizen for two years somewhere else. In that case, you only need to live in Sweden for three consecutive years.

Be on your best behavior.

Sweden makes it clear in no uncertain terms: Citizens obey the law.

"In order to become a Swedish citizen, you must have conducted yourself well during your time in Sweden," the immigration office says. "The Swedish Migration Agency looks both at how you have previously conducted yourself and how we believe that you will conduct yourself in the future."

The agency looks at whether you have any outstanding debts in Sweden, committed any crimes, or pose any security threats.

Learn Swedish (even if you don't technically have to).

Swedes are no slouches when it comes to speaking English.
That's comforting at first, but can become an obstacle if you're trying to fully integrate into Swedish culture.

That's to say nothing of the fact that Swedish is extremely difficult to learn. (Thankfully, you don't have to take a language test to become a citizen.)

Consider signing up for the free language-learning course, Swedish for Immigrants.

Ikea is just as much a one-stop-shop for inexpensive furnishings.

Even if you can't speak the language, Ikea can help make your transition to becoming a full-fledged Swede a smoother one.
Re: How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen by georgesegun87: 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2017
I really want to come and study in sweden....what is my chance of get job during study
Re: How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 23, 2017
Can one get Swedish citizenship or permanent residency just by being born in Sweden from non citizen parents.
Re: How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen by ObinnaEmmanuel: 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2021
Hello
I was having some trouble understanding some details of the Swedish visa application process until I found this webpage: https://www.techsmoothy.com/sweden-visa-lottery-2021/ which I believe answers your question
I believe the knowledge I have gleaned from this site and the other webpage will make my visa application successful.

1 Like

Re: How To Move To Sweden And Become A Swedish Citizen by EngrKemp: 6:06pm On Aug 19, 2023
Pls what are the requirements for getting a work permit from Sweden as a ?

Kindly list the requirements.

Thank you and God bless you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Any Nigerian Student In Kyrgyzstan / Europe's First Underwater Restaurant Opened In Norway (Pics) / Please Advise Me Which Country Can I Start A Good Hustle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.