Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? (11957 Views)

Only God's Opinion Matters / The Christmas Season I Grew Up With :photos / What Is The Best Creation Of God? - Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Majesticniyi(m): 12:41pm On Dec 24, 2017
You are a very big idiot who has no fundamental knowledge of what he comments on....even the most stupid atheist won't ask such a silly question!

veeqocean:
If GOD was born December 25,Who was God before Dec 25?
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by muller101(m): 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2017
TVTKOKO:
Now do you have to insult I won't reply your insult.
Now to the topic
I know this debate coming up every single year is because, This is the most widely celebrated and popular celebration of the year all over the world and Some people are getting angry because of this fact.
Now tell me, if December 25th was a day of pagan god and the early Christians used this day in exchange to celebrate Jesus in other for the pagan worship to end,, what wrong is there in it?? FYI, we celebrate Christ and not some pagan god..so whatever else is celebrated that day is a mere coincidence.
You say December 25th is the day many people commit sin Tell me.. Are you God's personal Secretary What happened to the remaining days of the year

No matter how much you try to paint this black, it would never change!
And like someone rightly said, the days of the week are pagan rooted.., for each day is dedicated to a god.

Merry Christmas
did he ask you to celebrate him on Dec 25th?
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by saintmark88(m): 1:01pm On Dec 24, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
why should a sane Christian celebrate what does not written or commanded in the holy Bible.
Christmas celebration has nothing to do with Christ Jesus, it's a pegan celebration so true Christian should not celebrate it.

Jehovah witnesses​ around the world does not celebrate Christmas.

That is because JWs are not christains, they do not believe in Jesus christ, so y will they celebrate christmas
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by olowobaba10: 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2017
JUST SHUT UP IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY
jozz:
Arguments for and against the Christmas celebration have been on for decades. The main argument against Christmas has been that nowhere in the bible is Christmas mentioned and that Jesus was not born on Dec 25.

Proponents of the Christmas celebration on the other hand have argued that while truly there is no evidence of Jesus being born on Dec 25, nevertheless the celebration has a good motive-to honour Jesus.

As you read this article, I want you to consider a more compelling reason to avoid the Christmas celebration-its pagan origin.

Have you ever paused to give it a thought: if Christmas was not instituted by Jesus, was unknown among his disciples and the early Christians, where then did the celebration come from?

It is interesting to note that it was not until more than 300 years after Jesus birth that Christendom officially began to observe Christmas on Dec 25.

The roots of Christmas can be traced to pagan Rome with its mixture of festivals for honouring the agriculture god Saturn and the sun god Sol Invictus or mithra. The catholic church wanting to strengthen its position, converted the pagan celebration to a christian one.

Anthropologists Christian Ratsch and Claudia Muller-Ebeling coauthors of the book pagan Christmas write :Like many pre-christian customs and beliefs, the old feast commemorating the yearly return of the sun was dedicated to the birth of christ.

So if humans can detect the pagan connection of Christmas, the ultimate and most important question we need to ask is:

How does God (whose approval we are all striving for) feel about a celebration of pagan origin now dedicated to his son? 2 For 6:14-17 says :What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have or what sharing does light have with darkness? Quit touching the unclean thing and I will take you in.

Therefore in conclusion the issue of Christmas goes beyond issue of personal choice. The persons we purport to be honouring via Christmas celebration (God and Jesus) are telling us clearly that they are not interested in the celebration, in fact it is offensive to them. Are we more powerful or all knowing than them?
I wish this write up can be moved to front page for the benefit of all)
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by tunnamaniah(m): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2017
Statsocial:
There is no need for any needles argument here. The Church has complete dominance over the Earth. Jesus took the authority away from the Devil and gave it to the Church and essentially(paraphrase) said "...whatever you declare on Earth is accepted by Heaven..."

Very same reason why pagan holiday was made a Christian holiday is the very same reasons Early Christians sought to use conquered shrines as Churches-it is a statement if dominance. What more glory is knowing that a pagan people lost in darkness saw the light of God and the very same day they used in serving their god was now dedicated to the one true God.

As long as the Church declares the 25th as Celebration of Christ birthday so it stands not even Angels can contradict the Authority of the Church.

Then people need to also understand that it is not all controversies the bible can solve. There were many Christians who never knew what the bible was. They had died long before it was ever compiled or even completely written. Men like Stephen, Philip could never have seen the bible yet they would put the faith of many modern Christians to dust. Infact the only scripture that existed during the days of the apostles was the Old Testament and they built the message of the new from it.

Generations of Christians had passed before the Church started collecting books of the Apostles and then segregated it under the inspiration of the holy spirit to have what we have now. Why am i saying this? when Christ left the Earth he did not leave us a bible he left us leaders. And the leaders are the ones in Charge and just like the early church which sought direction from her leaders through letters and correspondences even though they had the same access to the same Holy Spirit and Old Testament the Apostles had, the modern church should also humble herself and seek direction from church leaders on controversial issue like tithing, christmas, sunday worship, easter etc- However the position of modern church leaders can't contradict the New Testament ether.

But the issues of Tithing, Celebrations where not properly trashed out in NT. Hence, we can only seek the leadership of pastors on these issues. Anything apart from this is complete chaos for Christiandom. If there is unity in our believe and decision that the birthday of Christ is to be celebrated on 25th then i assure you christ would not contradict it. As for Church leaders who have said their members shouldn't celebrate Christmas. Pls if you are a member disregard my earlier argument and do it as your church directs. If you are not happy with how your church is leading you then leave and go to a place you are at peace with but don't stay in a particular church and rebel.
Merry Christmas to the rest of us!
may God confltinue to empower you with more wisdom

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by olowobaba10: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2017
MUST EVERYBODY BECOME JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES?
Godswillnwaoma:
why should a sane Christian celebrate what does not written or commanded in the holy Bible.
Christmas celebration has nothing to do with Christ Jesus, it's a pegan celebration so true Christian should not celebrate it.

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 24, 2017
Esepayan:

typical in ur comment earlier on u made it seem like christmas has always been celebrated and i just showed u a fact .....and what do u do ..... typical black man you digress .........u are a very slow indiviual who knows next to nothing.......swerve

Hahah! He who knows not and does not know that he knows not is a fool.... where in my previous comments did i state or mention that christmas has always been celebrated? Did u read my previous post upside down, or perhaps you assumed like you always do, oh I forget you dont know how to read and comprehend.

Oga please dont come on my mention again, You clearly arent smart enough for me to engage in an argument.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by princetom1(m): 2:01pm On Dec 24, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Do Christians worship the Pagan God on Christmas? It's true, they were not commanded to. Do you know that the Celebration of Birthdays have a pagan origin according to the Bible? But Christians celebrate it. Why do they celebrate it? To please the pagan God they don't worship or what?

What is wrong, is wrong, irrespective of if people have adopted it or not. Birthday, Christmas, aren't found in the Bible bt u know... Our people like to pick the rules they find easy to follow and close eyes to d odas like it doesn't exist.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
princetom1:

What is wrong, is wrong, irrespective of if people have adopted it or not. Birthday, Christmas, aren't found in the Bible bt u know... Our people like to pick the rules they find easy to follow and close eyes to d odas like it doesn't exist.
What is wrong is wrong? What makes it wrong? You are begging the question. Why is it wrong to begin with? Feelings? Emotions? Or logic?
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by walexy06(m): 2:20pm On Dec 24, 2017
very simple, my mum forgot to pen down my date of birth wen she born me, she just told me I m either Jan 20 or Dec 19...so I m celebrating Jan cos Dan makes me younger..
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 24, 2017
There is time for everything
Every child is expected to admire a teddy bear;
He can't fully differentiate between what is and what is not,
The reason a child never get tired playing or talking to toys. grin

When an adult will not stop playing with toys,
It becomes a subject of worries.
Every religions are creation of the mind; it is finite.
How can the FINITE explain the INFINITE?

Our ultimate assignment is to realize our infiniteness,
That you and I extend beyond this fleeting existence
Mind and its creations need to be put in their proper place
You are within, connected, complete, balanced...

Come to think of it
The God created by the mind is full of controversies
An infinite being with the attributes of the finite;
Has gender, emotional, has fear, sometimes regret, partial, selective, seeks man's help, approve murder...

These are plain absurdities
How can one describe the creator when the creation is not yet understood
The description doesn't befit god of this planet (if such exists), let alone the creator of the universe
Whoever (group or individual), that thinks the creator of ALL can be possessed is STUPID.

I would have loved to say more
Unfortunately, letters aren't fully cooperating with the urge
Celebrate whatever bring people together ; xmas, ileya, carnivals,....
But never get attached,

Religious attachment is not meant for grown-ups
Remember the moment you KNOW, you stop believing
Because,.... when you know, you say I know and NOT I believe
Find your CENTER and stop fooling around the circumference

happy xmas and new year in advance
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by sonmvayina(m): 2:46pm On Dec 24, 2017
Ndubuisi1075:
Christmas is a heathen festival from Rome.

Christianity is a pagan religion from Rome..why are you arguing with them if they decide to have the birthday of their God on December 25th.?

The God of the Jews or the old testament God has no son. And He is responsible for everything whether good or evil..Deuteronomy 32:39,Isaiah 45:7
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by 34r194m84ry: 2:58pm On Dec 24, 2017
them no go gree and them no get any evidence for inside Bibeli grin��

1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by BiggyBamBam: 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2017
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by declassicist: 3:19pm On Dec 24, 2017
To me, It is what you see you will get. If you see it as a pagan festival then that is what it is. If you see it as a day to remember the birth of Christ, so it is.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 24, 2017
jozz:
Arguments for and against the Christmas celebration have been on for decades. The main argument against Christmas has been that nowhere in the bible is Christmas mentioned and that Jesus was not born on Dec 25.

Proponents of the Christmas celebration on the other hand have argued that while truly there is no evidence of Jesus being born on Dec 25, nevertheless the celebration has a good motive-to honour Jesus.

As you read this article, I want you to consider a more compelling reason to avoid the Christmas celebration-its pagan origin.

Have you ever paused to give it a thought: if Christmas was not instituted by Jesus, was unknown among his disciples and the early Christians, where then did the celebration come from?

It is interesting to note that it was not until more than 300 years after Jesus birth that Christendom officially began to observe Christmas on Dec 25.

The roots of Christmas can be traced to pagan Rome with its mixture of festivals for honouring the agriculture god Saturn and the sun god Sol Invictus or mithra. The catholic church wanting to strengthen its position, converted the pagan celebration to a christian one.

Anthropologists Christian Ratsch and Claudia Muller-Ebeling coauthors of the book pagan Christmas write :Like many pre-christian customs and beliefs, the old feast commemorating the yearly return of the sun was dedicated to the birth of christ.

So if humans can detect the pagan connection of Christmas, the ultimate and most important question we need to ask is:

How does God (whose approval we are all striving for) feel about a celebration of pagan origin now dedicated to his son? 2 For 6:14-17 says :What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have or what sharing does light have with darkness? Quit touching the unclean thing and I will take you in.

Therefore in conclusion the issue of Christmas goes beyond issue of personal choice. The persons we purport to be honouring via Christmas celebration (God and Jesus) are telling us clearly that they are not interested in the celebration, in fact it is offensive to them. Are we more powerful or all knowing than them?
I wish this write up can be moved to front page for the benefit of all)

It's pagan origin lolz .. Mr God's mouthpiece
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by rexandyke(m): 3:49pm On Dec 24, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:

why then do you guys go to your villages during this Christmas? lol, I am off abeg
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Ekkhann(m): 4:30pm On Dec 24, 2017
God doesn't give a fvck, he still wouldn't give a fvck if we held it in June. Only thing he gives a fvck about is that we learn to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. undecided
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by brainhgeek(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2017
His birthday could have fallen on any other day yet you would have criticized it likewise. The challenge however is that many of us think and conclude for God. In Leviticus 23, the bible has record of festivals which of them have you observed? Beware of genetically modified believes.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Phaysal: 5:42pm On Dec 24, 2017
Finstar:
Whether Christmas is in the Bible or not, or whether we're instructed to celebrate it or not.. I don't care.. As long as it's a season of good celebration, I've got to roll with the dice.
shocked
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Jephz(m): 6:04pm On Dec 24, 2017
dhardline:
Luke chapter 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Even the angels praised God when Christ was born for God came to earth to dwell with men. This event is second only to Christ's death and resurrection. In all the motive behind it matters alot.

Colossians 2: 16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an festival, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
boss...why did Jesus Christ himself did not celebrate his birthday?? ... why did Jesus not instruct us to celebrate his birthday?? ... BTW was Jesus even born in December? not to talk of 25? beside d history of Christmas self shows clearly that Christmas is for pagan not Christians.... and many people are aware but they just want to celebrate... but remember u cannot mix what is unholy with pure worship... if you're eating Eba and soup ....and d Eba fall into a gutter ...bcus d soup is very sweet will u still pick d Eba and eat ? or make another one?.. or have u ever seen family and friend celebrating a birthday of someone who's dead?? I have never seen ...they only celebrate his death anniversary.... (remembrance!!!!
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Jephz(m): 6:05pm On Dec 24, 2017
dhardline:
Luke chapter 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Even the angels praised God when Christ was born for God came to earth to dwell with men. This event is second only to Christ's death and resurrection. In all the motive behind it matters alot.

Colossians 2: 16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an festival, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
boss...why did Jesus Christ himself did not celebrate his birthday?? ... why did Jesus not instruct us to celebrate his birthday?? ... BTW was Jesus even born in December? not to talk of 25? beside d history of Christmas self shows clearly that Christmas is for pagan not Christians.... and many people are aware but they just want to celebrate... but remember u cannot mix what is unholy with pure worship... if you're eating Eba and soup ....and d Eba fall into a gutter ...bcus d soup is very sweet will u still pick d Eba and eat ? or make another one?.. or have u ever seen family and friend celebrating a birthday of someone who's dead?? I have never seen ...they only celebrate his death anniversary.... (remembrance!!!!)... have a wonderful day bro

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by dhardline(m): 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
Jephz:
boss...why did Jesus Christ himself did not celebrate his birthday?? ... why did Jesus not instruct us to celebrate his birthday?? ... BTW was Jesus even born in December? not to talk of 25? beside d history of Christmas self shows clearly that Christmas is for pagan not Christians.... and many people are aware but they just want to celebrate... but remember u cannot mix what is unholy with pure worship... if you're eating Eba and soup ....and d Eba fall into a gutter ...bcus d soup is very sweet will u still pick d Eba and eat ? or make another one?.. or have u ever seen family and friend celebrating a birthday of someone who's dead?? I have never seen ...they only celebrate his death anniversary.... (remembrance!!!!

In Christianity our conscience plays a very big role. What might be sinful to one might not be to another. So the truth here is if your conscience does not accept this then just leave it to those that want to celebrate it and another thing is that There are more pressing issues that we should focus our mind on as Christians (our sinful nature as man) the fight against this nature is what makes us soldiers as Christians. Every single one of Our thoughts,words and action need to be put into subjection.put ur mind to this first and see the outcome... This definitely will lead you to more truths through the guidance of the Holy Spirit
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by uyigideon(m): 6:22pm On Dec 24, 2017
Christmas should not be use for clubbing and party, drinking to stupor, funication and adultery.
It should be used to remember the day God manifested his love for the world, by sending his Son Jesus Christ to the world, so that you and I can have eternal life.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Jephz(m): 6:39pm On Dec 24, 2017
dhardline:

In Christianity our conscience plays a very big role. What might be sinful to one might not be to another. So the truth here is if your conscience does not accept this then just leave it to those that want to celebrate it and another thing is that There are more pressing issues that we should focus our mind on as Christians (our sinful nature as man) the fight against this nature is what makes us soldiers as Christians. Every single one of Our thoughts,words and action need to be put into subjection.put ur mind to this first and see the outcome... This definitely will lead you to more truths through the guidance of the Holy Spirit
..It is true that our conscience plays an important part...... but u and I knw that ...pagan worship and Christian worship should have noting to do together .. ..now will that same conscience not tell u that what they are doing is wrong?? worshiping roman sun god ...using Christ birth to cover it. ....that's fraud!! conscience should tell that it's not right at all.

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
saintmark88:

That is because JWs are not christains, they do not believe in Jesus christ, so y will they celebrate christmas

Can you pls show where JWs say that they don't believe in Jesus?

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by saintmark88(m): 8:34pm On Dec 24, 2017
JMAN05:

Can you pls show where JWs say that they don't believe in Jesus?

A sect that doesn't believe in d divinity of Jesus Christ cannot say that believe in Jesus
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by xaggar(m): 8:59pm On Dec 24, 2017
saintmark88:

They are better Christians than ur idea of christianity.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by achorladey: 9:06pm On Dec 24, 2017
saintmark88:

A sect that doesn't believe in d divinity of Jesus Christ cannot say that believe in Jesus
saintmark88 no go kee person ooooooooo from do they believe in Jesus Christ in one swoop to, do they believe in the divinity of Christ? saintmarkeeeeeeeeeeee88. looooooooool!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by bodeworldd(m): 10:12pm On Dec 24, 2017
Majesticniyi:
You are a very big idiot who has no fundamental knowledge of what he comments on....even the most stupid atheist won't ask such a silly question!

don't be insolent or abusive when u re approached with a matter or question beyond your Intelligence. becalm and research. no question exists without ananswer
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by nellibaba(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2017
Statsocial:
There is no need for any needles argument here. The Church has complete dominance over the Earth. Jesus took the authority away from the Devil and gave it to the Church and essentially(paraphrase) said "...whatever you declare on Earth is accepted by Heaven..."

Very same reason why pagan holiday was made a Christian holiday is the very same reasons Early Christians sought to use conquered shrines as Churches-it is a statement if dominance. What more glory is knowing that a pagan people lost in darkness saw the light of God and the very same day they used in serving their god was now dedicated to the one true God.

As long as the Church declares the 25th as Celebration of Christ birthday so it stands not even Angels can contradict the Authority of the Church.

Then people need to also understand that it is not all controversies the bible can solve. There were many Christians who never knew what the bible was. They had died long before it was ever compiled or even completely written. Men like Stephen, Philip could never have seen the bible yet they would put the faith of many modern Christians to dust. Infact the only scripture that existed during the days of the apostles was the Old Testament and they built the message of the new from it.

Generations of Christians had passed before the Church started collecting books of the Apostles and then segregated it under the inspiration of the holy spirit to have what we have now. Why am i saying this? when Christ left the Earth he did not leave us a bible he left us leaders. And the leaders are the ones in Charge and just like the early church which sought direction from her leaders through letters and correspondences even though they had the same access to the same Holy Spirit and Old Testament the Apostles had, the modern church should also humble herself and seek direction from church leaders on controversial issue like tithing, christmas, sunday worship, easter etc- However the position of modern church leaders can't contradict the New Testament ether.

But the issues of Tithing, Celebrations where not properly trashed out in NT. Hence, we can only seek the leadership of pastors on these issues. Anything apart from this is complete chaos for Christiandom. If there is unity in our believe and decision that the birthday of Christ is to be celebrated on 25th then i assure you christ would not contradict it. As for Church leaders who have said their members shouldn't celebrate Christmas. Pls if you are a member disregard my earlier argument and do it as your church directs. If you are not happy with how your church is leading you then leave and go to a place you are at peace with but don't stay in a particular church and rebel.
Merry Christmas to the rest of us!

Wow! I beg to disagree !

This statement..."Hence, we can only seek the leadership of pastors on these issues" among others you made is the MAIN reason early christians fought and gave up their lives that the scriptures be printed and made available to all so each person can read for him/herself..a lot of "leaders" were already being deceitful and also making mistakes but "the Church" then opposed the spread of the scriptures
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Earthrealmlord: 1:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
Pagan origin or not, what is important is your intention.
if you celebrate christmas with the intention to praise God it's all good.
It is not compulsory to celebrate Christmas especially if you don't believe in it, but it is your responsibility to respect those (your brothers, sisters, friends and relatives) celebrating .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Easter, 2020! / God Made Him Gay? / What Would You Consider As Proof Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.