Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? (11911 Views)

Only God's Opinion Matters / The Christmas Season I Grew Up With :photos / What Is The Best Creation Of God? - Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by jozz(m): 7:11am On Dec 24, 2017
Arguments for and against the Christmas celebration have been on for decades. The main argument against Christmas has been that nowhere in the bible is Christmas mentioned and that Jesus was not born on Dec 25.

Proponents of the Christmas celebration on the other hand have argued that while truly there is no evidence of Jesus being born on Dec 25, nevertheless the celebration has a good motive-to honour Jesus.

As you read this article, I want you to consider a more compelling reason to avoid the Christmas celebration-its pagan origin.

Have you ever paused to give it a thought: if Christmas was not instituted by Jesus, was unknown among his disciples and the early Christians, where then did the celebration come from?

It is interesting to note that it was not until more than 300 years after Jesus birth that Christendom officially began to observe Christmas on Dec 25.

The roots of Christmas can be traced to pagan Rome with its mixture of festivals for honouring the agriculture god Saturn and the sun god Sol Invictus or mithra. The catholic church wanting to strengthen its position, converted the pagan celebration to a christian one.

Anthropologists Christian Ratsch and Claudia Muller-Ebeling coauthors of the book pagan Christmas write :Like many pre-christian customs and beliefs, the old feast commemorating the yearly return of the sun was dedicated to the birth of christ.

So if humans can detect the pagan connection of Christmas, the ultimate and most important question we need to ask is:

How does God (whose approval we are all striving for) feel about a celebration of pagan origin now dedicated to his son? 2 For 6:14-17 says :What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have or what sharing does light have with darkness? Quit touching the unclean thing and I will take you in.

Therefore in conclusion the issue of Christmas goes beyond issue of personal choice. The persons we purport to be honouring via Christmas celebration (God and Jesus) are telling us clearly that they are not interested in the celebration, in fact it is offensive to them. Are we more powerful or all knowing than them?
I wish this write up can be moved to front page for the benefit of all)

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Trustme2(m): 7:26am On Dec 24, 2017
FTC is this easy? grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Dnaz(m): 7:35am On Dec 24, 2017
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath.
Colossians 2:16

Christmas is our festival to celebrate Christ, don't pass judgement on us

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by ibkkk(f): 7:59am On Dec 24, 2017
MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE kiss

17 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 24, 2017
Celebrate Jesus every day of your life, and not just on a date that was previously used by Pagans and then converted by Christians.

No matter how beautiful and holy everyone may portray Christmas to be, the date and the origin remains paganic. In conclusion, celebrate Jesus everyday, and not just on one day.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by kachi19: 8:19am On Dec 24, 2017
Even atheists celebrate Christmas so akanut comman go n kee myself biko

6 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Finstar: 9:36am On Dec 24, 2017
Whether Christmas is in the Bible or not, or whether we're instructed to celebrate it or not.. I don't care.. As long as it's a season of good celebration, I've got to roll with the dice.

5 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Godswillnwaoma(m): 9:36am On Dec 24, 2017
why should a sane Christian celebrate what does not written or commanded in the holy Bible.
Christmas celebration has nothing to do with Christ Jesus, it's a pegan celebration so true Christian should not celebrate it.

Jehovah witnesses​ around the world does not celebrate Christmas.

14 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by MhizzAJ(f): 9:37am On Dec 24, 2017
Lemme read first
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by omocalabar(m): 9:37am On Dec 24, 2017
h
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Rexphobia(m): 9:37am On Dec 24, 2017
I have nothing to say
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Partnerbiz(f): 9:37am On Dec 24, 2017
which is God's opinion?

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 24, 2017
God isn't out to get anyone, people. We need to abandon this our Christian culture of fear. The origin of Christmas doesn't colour the day black. It doesn't colour it white either. It is a day like any other way that God has made. We will be glad and rejoice in it. Christmas isn't a special day.

Its just an excuse for most people to be happy. It's a rich part of human culture that everyone has become a part of, Christian and non-Christian alike. Why sulk around in misery and fear of condemnation when you can cook and share food and goodwill to people around.

If I've learnt any thing about God, it's that he wants us to be happy in as much as we stay within the confines of his word.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 24, 2017
Quite interesting angle to this argument

COLOSSIANS 2 vs 8
See to it that no one takes you captive by
philosophy and empty deceit, according to
human tradition, according to the elemental
spirits of the world, and not according to
Christ.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by dhardline(m): 9:39am On Dec 24, 2017
Luke chapter 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Even the angels praised God when Christ was born for God came to earth to dwell with men. This event is second only to Christ's death and resurrection. In all the motive behind it matters alot.

Colossians 2: 16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an festival, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

9 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by jamp: 9:40am On Dec 24, 2017
what's the big deal that we decided to celebrate Christmas on 25th Dec.. ......ok let's make it 23rd jan...

for me and my family we celebrate Christ and not pegan god

8 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Amthol(m): 9:42am On Dec 24, 2017
Izz okay kotunu @op
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Elnino4ladies: 9:42am On Dec 24, 2017
Christmas is a pagan celebration. has nothing to do with Christ birth.

2 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by dreamworld: 9:43am On Dec 24, 2017
grin
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Ndubuisi1075: 9:43am On Dec 24, 2017
Christmas is a heathen festival from Rome.

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 24, 2017
There is no need for any needles argument here. The Church has complete dominance over the Earth. Jesus took the authority away from the Devil and gave it to the Church and essentially(paraphrase) said "...whatever you declare on Earth is accepted by Heaven..."

Very same reason why pagan holiday was made a Christian holiday is the very same reasons Early Christians sought to use conquered shrines as Churches-it is a statement if dominance. What more glory is knowing that a pagan people lost in darkness saw the light of God and the very same day they used in serving their god was now dedicated to the one true God.

As long as the Church declares the 25th as Celebration of Christ birthday so it stands not even Angels can contradict the Authority of the Church.

Then people need to also understand that it is not all controversies the bible can solve. There were many Christians who never knew what the bible was. They had died long before it was ever compiled or even completely written. Men like Stephen, Philip could never have seen the bible yet they would put the faith of many modern Christians to dust. Infact the only scripture that existed during the days of the apostles was the Old Testament and they built the message of the new from it.

Generations of Christians had passed before the Church started collecting books of the Apostles and then segregated it under the inspiration of the holy spirit to have what we have now. Why am i saying this? when Christ left the Earth he did not leave us a bible he left us leaders. And the leaders are the ones in Charge and just like the early church which sought direction from her leaders through letters and correspondences even though they had the same access to the same Holy Spirit and Old Testament the Apostles had, the modern church should also humble herself and seek direction from church leaders on controversial issue like tithing, christmas, sunday worship, easter etc- However the position of modern church leaders can't contradict the New Testament ether.

But the issues of Tithing, Celebrations where not properly trashed out in NT. Hence, we can only seek the leadership of pastors on these issues. Anything apart from this is complete chaos for Christiandom. If there is unity in our believe and decision that the birthday of Christ is to be celebrated on 25th then i assure you christ would not contradict it. As for Church leaders who have said their members shouldn't celebrate Christmas. Pls if you are a member disregard my earlier argument and do it as your church directs. If you are not happy with how your church is leading you then leave and go to a place you are at peace with but don't stay in a particular church and rebel.
Merry Christmas to the rest of us!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 24, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
why should a sane Christian celebrate what does not written or commanded in the holy Bible.
Christmas celebration has nothing to do with Christ Jesus, it's a pegan celebration so true Christian should not celebrate it.

Jehovah witnesses​ around the world does not celebrate Christmas.

very correct mate ....the problem is that christains don't read

2 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 24, 2017
The truth is that we Africans have been programmed to be stupid.

God has no religion, he listens to birds, fishes and all sort of animals and yet they don't have a definite religion.
Christmas or no christmas, anyone can decide to put the date of Jesus birth at anytime he\she deem fit.

infact if jesus wanted himself to be celebrated, he would have done it during his lifetime, but I read the bible front and back, no single day Jesus has to celebrate his birthday. we all do this at our own largesse. so no one should lay it a claim that, Jesus was born on 25th of December.

I make bold to say this, religion is a scam of the elites to keep dominating the masses. God has no religion. Know him and serve him in your heart and without hurting anyone.

Drabeey was HERE

3 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Martin0(m): 9:46am On Dec 24, 2017
Please where are the gullibles,crooked pastor's, deludedgrin

Where are theygrin

We are wait for you to come comment ,I believe this debate is specially dedicated to dem allgringrin
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by cantok(m): 9:47am On Dec 24, 2017
Who cares about God's opinion. God's opinion is more more regarded on earth. Case closed
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by cantok(m): 9:47am On Dec 24, 2017
kachi19:
Even atheists celebrate Christmas so akanut comman go n kee myself biko
grin

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Originality007: 9:47am On Dec 24, 2017
g
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Flexherbal(m): 9:48am On Dec 24, 2017
Christmas is just a period to show love!

Although, we do it everyday.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by enemyofprogress: 9:48am On Dec 24, 2017
Op stop wasting your time Christmas has come to stay,not even Buhari and his people can stop it,na the only time wey person dey see correct food chop be that,even the weather is incomparable.

Op just talk sey you no get money to do Christmas grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by jamislaw(m): 9:49am On Dec 24, 2017
Just laughing...........

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Holy Order / Prophet Kofi Oduro: Only Village Women Question Husband's Phone Calls, Messages / Pastor Adeboye Says Pray Btw 11p.m To 1 A.m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.