Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,048 members, 7,821,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government (31549 Views)

Uche Nwosu's Campaign Vehicles Burnt By Imo Youths (Photos) / Okorocha Restores Assumpta Avenue Name / Angry Imolites Renamed Muhammadu Buhari's Road Sign Post Overnight - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by Activeman391(m): 11:43pm On Dec 25, 2017
By SIR STEVE NWOKEOCHA

1. Dear Brother Knights & Ladies, I am reporting officially to you this matter of urgent national and particularly CATHOLIC concern: The change of Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri to Muhammadu Buhari Road by the Imo State Government.

2. I said officially because at the invitation of His Grace, Archbishop Obinna of the Owerri Catholic Archdiocese, I joined a high-level meeting that he chaired on the matter after Mass on Sunday, December 24, 2017 at the Maria Assumpta Cathedral, Owerri, Imo State. I therefore have the mandate of the meeting to alert the KSJI at the national level and also to brief the KSJI SSP and SSP Ladies Auxiliary. The decision was that all Catholics in Nigeria should be alerted which is why this post here, however, I shall deliver some reserved details directly to the SSPs KSJI & Ladies Auxiliary.

3. An imposing/conspicuous brick-board has already been erected directly facing the entrance of the Maria Assumpta Cathedral, Owerri to herald this new MUHAMMADU BUHARI ROAD.

4. For those who know Owerri very well, Maria Assumpta Avenue is the expressway in front of Maria Assumpta Cathedral, leading to Owerri City Centre from Owerri - Port Harcourt Road and also intersecting Owerri - Onitsha at the entrance of the Cathedral. It is a strategic road that channels all traffics from Port Harcourt and Onitsha directions into Owerri City. Maria Assumpta Avenue is as old as the Maria Assumpta Cathedral itself.

5. Maria Assumpta Cathedral is not only the greatest man-made strucure in old Owerri, and perhaps still so in modern Owerri and therefore is of monumental historical significance to Owerri people in particular and Imo State in general but it is also a CATHOLIC edifice of a 'world heritage' status. To now locate such an edifice on a road that bears the name of an Islamic leader has been interpreted by the Church as a desecration of the Catholic Faith and by extension, Christianity and what it holds dear the most. Ironically, the roundabout at the entrance of the Cathedral where the new name of a road was erected has a giant monument of the Holy Family.

6. Maria Assumpta Cathedral is not just for the Owerri Archdiocese but it is also the headquarters of the Owerri Ecclesiastical Province which extents to Abia State.

7. Catholics in Owerri, especially parishioners of the Cathedral, had a sad Sunday and boiling is the right word to describe the feeling of the Church right now. His Grace the Archbishop of Owerri in his homily described the development as an insult to the Catholic Church, a slap on the face of the Holy Family, and a disrespect to Holy Mother Mary whose name is on the Cathedral.

8. Therefore, logical reactions have been planned and Catholics nationwide are required to be part of the action, but most importantly not to work at cross-purposes. Rather, they are to seek accurate information/updates and work in accordance only with the Church. As I remain a member of the Archbishop-led Committee, I will do what I can to send in updates here when necessary. Our SSPs will also be direct leaders in this struggle and will equally provide leadership and information as they deem necessary.

9. For the avoidance of doubt, the Catholic Church is not opposed to naming ALL the roads in Owerri after His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, if the will make the Imo State Governor happy and help his political aspirations, BUT it can never be the Maria Assumpta Avenue. Therefore, the reaction of the Church has nothing to do with politics or even Islam but simply the preservation of its own Faith and heritage.

St. John the Baptist... Pray for us.

SIR STEVE NWOKEOCHA,

Ist TRUSTEE, KSJI ABUJA GRAND COMMANDERY

Source:
https://m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/261398/-imo-govt-changes-maria-assumpta-avenue-owerri-to-mohamma.html

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by obataokenwa(m): 11:58pm On Dec 25, 2017
God forbid

224 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by Alawe(m): 12:04am On Dec 26, 2017
Rochas has really gone mad. this politics and apc thing has really gotten over his head

282 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by yarimo(m): 12:14am On Dec 26, 2017
That is very commendable from OKOROCHA the next senate president of the Nigerian senate from 2019

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by AnodaIT(m): 12:16am On Dec 26, 2017
Someone or something should slap this man again

213 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by Balkan(m): 12:24am On Dec 26, 2017
This Hausa man parrading himself as an Igbo man is turning Owerri into an
Islamic state with impunity.

Okoro Awusa, why not build your own road and name it after Buhari rather changing a name of existing road properly named, after you God Buhari.

We are in for more shocker

201 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ufuosman(m): 12:33am On Dec 26, 2017
Rocha's doing his own mind, with all dis nonsense apc will still rule after Rocha's. Fear politics

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by BUHARItesticles: 12:45am On Dec 26, 2017
yarimo:
That is very commendable from OKOROCHA the next senate president of the Nigerian senate from 2019
E-warrior spotted, you deserve a charismatic slap. Aboki!

155 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by yarimo(m): 12:46am On Dec 26, 2017
BUHARItesticles:

E-warrior spotted, you deserve a charismatic slap. Aboki!
charismatic slap KO behaviours slap NI undecided

4 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 1:00am On Dec 26, 2017
You all should calm down right now!

Maria Asumpta is not a Nigerian. Mohammadu Buhari is a Nigerian. Be patriotic please and calm your nerves. angry

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by HeyCorleone(m): 1:27am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:
You all should calm down right now!

Maria Asumpta is not a Nigerian. Mohammadu Buhari is a Nigerian. Be patriotic please and calm your nerves. angry

Maria Assumpta is not someone's name, rather it's Latin for "Assumption of Mary". That being said, changing its name has nothing to do with patriotism. You don't seem like someone who's well informed if not you'd have spotted out that fact since.

It goes beyond all doubt that it was that Church that created that avenue and made it what it is today. The name it bears is hence deep and shouldn't be subject for discussion in the first place.

The manner at which he's doing it is also wrong. Fine he's the Governor of the state, but he's also coming into confrontation with the largest religious sect in the world, and by that I mean the Roman Catholic Church. I don't think anyone has had any issues with the name prior now, and I don't think anyone ever will. He should negotiate this thing.But it'd be of no use tho'. The Church can never allow such inanity take place. For Chrissakes it's a freaking Cathedral there. The Avenue is not just a street leading to the cathedral but rather the very entrance.

Changing the name to something which is uncatholic, unchristian, untheological, and unreasonable is totally uncalled for.

Modified:

Those saying it's a sign of imperialism, because they don't know the meaning of the word, how's it imperialist to name a place "Assumption of Mary"?! What should it be instead?!

Some very senseless persons have been quoting me. I don't see why. Maria Assumpta avenue is more than an avenue. It's an entrance. Even if it needs be changed to something African, as some simpletons are clamouring for, we have so many African, and Nigerian Catholic figures. There's Blessed Tansi for instance. Why didn't he choose that one? At least the man was from the East? Why change it to the name of the man who's never contributed anything to the growth of Catholicism or Christianity in Nigeria? A man we all know to be a renowned bigot.. Imagine such thing happening in the avenue housing a mosque; changing the name of the avenue to the name of a Nigerian Catholic saint or a Christian bigot if there's any. I trust MURIC to speak on that.

354 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by rayblings(m): 1:30am On Dec 26, 2017
shocked. shocked

Bang de de Deng!!!

I learnt the thunder that will hit okoroawusa is still building his statue

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by TheLogicalMind(m): 1:32am On Dec 26, 2017
This animal has gone too far. Imo people have really had to put up with nonsense because of him.

Respecting the religious sensibilities of most Imo people who are Catholics has suddenly taken a back seat to kissing the smelly behind of the Daura Dull-ard. He even has the audacity to do it during the Christmas period.

Imo people the ball is in your court.

59 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by FRESHG(m): 1:39am On Dec 26, 2017
angry
Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 1:40am On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

Maria Assumpta is not someone's name, rather it's Latin for "Assumption of Mary". That being said, changing its name has nothing to do with patriotism. You don't seem like someone who's well informed if not you'd have spotted out that fact since.

It goes beyond all doubt that it was that Church that created that avenue and made it what it is today. The name it bears is hence deep and shouldn't be subject for discussion in the first place.

The manner at which he's doing it is also wrong. Fine he's the Governor of the state, but he's also coming into confrontation with the largest religious sect in the world, and by that I mean the Roman Catholic Church. I don't think anyone has had any issues with the name prior now, and I don't think anyone ever will. He should negotiate this thing.But it'd be of no use tho'. The Church can never allow such inanity take place. For Chrissakes it's a freaking Cathedral there. The Avenue is not just a street leading to the cathedral but rather the very entrance.

Changing the name to something which is uncatholic, unchristian, untheological, and unreasonable is totally uncalled for.

I dont care if its German Orthodox or Greek Orthodox...it is not Nigerian, period! We need Nigerian name on that street.

Should we change Nnamdi Azikiwe street in Lagos to Oba Akiolu Street?

You guys should let go of your ignorance for once. Drop this possessiveness about your region and givr to others in your house what you demand when you go to theirs.

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by obailala(m): 1:57am On Dec 26, 2017
Na wa oh!

1 Like

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by HeyCorleone(m): 1:59am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

I dont care if its German Orthodox or Greek Orthodox...it is not Nigerian, period! We need Nigerian name on that street.

You guys should let go of your ignorance for once. Drop this possessiveness about your region and givr to others in your house what you demand when you go to theirs.

You're non compos mentis, so you shall be excused.

156 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 2:08am On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

You're non compos mentis, so you shall be excused.

You whine about other's hatred for you but look at how much love you show others.

They named a street to honor your President and you are complaining about an Italian Maria. Is Italy the origin of Christianity?

Get lost!

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 2:11am On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

Will it please you if he named it Emeka Ojukwu Boulevard, or even Nnamdi Kanu Avenue?

26 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by Nobody: 2:25am On Dec 26, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with that except that it's being changed to Buhari's name.

Road names can be changed and Rocha's has that prerogative.

3 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by modik(m): 2:27am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

In the midst of hardship and acute scarcity of fuel foisted on Nigerians by the benefactor of that alleged name change!

https://www.nairaland.com/4253346/soldier-beats-boy-death-all#63610595

https://www.nairaland.com/4253355/fuel-scarcity-police-barrack-ibadan#63610720

https://www.nairaland.com/4253962/one-died-others-injured-while

https://www.nairaland.com/4253362/bookshop-razed-akure-petrol-hidden

Imolites, what benefit have you directly gained from Mr President?

1.Your sons and daughters residing and doing business in Aba were cut short at their prime by NA at the order of Commander in chief of the armed forces?

2. All roads leading to Imo and within Imo are being marked with spontaneous military checkpoints by his order.

3.Your struggling commuters are being extorted by his men in uniform.

4.His representative governor keeps erecting statues of foreign criminals with your hard earned tax revenue.

Haba,!

11 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by HeyCorleone(m): 2:31am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Will it please you if he named it Emeka Ojukwu Boulevard, or even Nnamdi Kanu Avenue?

You're already assuming I'm a senseless tribalist like you. Unfortunately I'm not. I'm not even Igbo, I'd let you know.

My own is there is no reason to change it. Quite needless and very provocative. You're attaching unnecessary tribal and racial sentiments to this.

128 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by emmie14: 2:37am On Dec 26, 2017
Rochas will soon leave owerri Douglas house and that will mark the end and burial of apc in the state. Nobody will talk about apc again. APC as a party should raise against these immediately to rescue and restore their presence in Imo state. Imo people are predominantly christians and 85% Catholics precisely.
The next governor of imo state shall return the name to it's originality. Calm down christians. Calm down Catholics. Calm down owerri and igbos in general. Let's maintain the celebration moods. APC is generally considered distraction.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by emmie14: 2:38am On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

You're already assuming I'm a senseless tribalist like you. Unfortunately I'm not. I'm not even Igbo, I'd let you know.

My own is there is no reason to change it. Quite needless and very provocative. You're attaching unnecessary tribal and racial sentiments to this.

Allow the bigot rotten in stupidity.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by emmie14: 2:41am On Dec 26, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

We don't want that name changed to anything. Not even catholic name. That is heritage. Not about buhari nit about religion. Nit about Hausa.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 2:43am On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

I dont give a fck if you are Yoruba or Hausa, an Italian Maria can be displaced in honor of a sitting President. The Governor made that choice. Stop crying over it.

Go to VI in Lagos, all the streets and boulevard used to be foreigners, some are still, but many have been replaced to honor home grown politicians. Ribadu Rd, Ozumba Mbadiwe Rd, Awolowo Rd, Adetokunbo Ademola Rd.

Go to Kano and see Church Street, Ibo Rd, Yoruba Rd, Niger Rd, Port Harcourt Rd.

Go to Ibadan, go to Abuja, go to Kaduna.

Why is Ibos always making noise and demanding exemptions from rules that others follow without complaint or noise?

GyitOuttaHeer!

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by ImperialYoruba: 2:50am On Dec 26, 2017
emmie14:

We don't want that name changed to anything. Not even catholic name. That is heritage. Not about buhari nit about religion. Nit about Hausa.

Why dont you want it changed? What was the name of that road before it became Maria Asumpta?

11 Likes

Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by Yyeske(m): 3:02am On Dec 26, 2017
How true is this report?
Re: Maria Assumpta Avenue, Owerri Renamed Muhammadu Buhari Road By Imo Government by CharleyBright(m): 3:04am On Dec 26, 2017
Hmmmm. am short of words.
What has Buhari done for IMO state to warrant naming a street after him?
Wetin concern Buhari with IMO state?
Okorocha has locked IMO people in an old broken cupboard with the key in his hands and looking for any Aboki to dash the key.
Chaiii, Okorocha is brewing all these nonsense and dishing them out at will and IMO people are just swallowing them like nothing dey happen?
Before his tenure ends, Okorocha will divide IMO state and give one part to his brothers in the north and nothing will happen.
Okorocha should just carry IMO state government house and name it after Buhari since he is a certified Hausa bootlicker.
It is either Okorocha is using juju on IMO people or IMO people have gone very very docile ( and maybe both).

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Ronu: Your Son Has Turned Nigeria's Economy Into A Desert - Buhari Ahmed / Policeman Deployed To Anambra For Governorship Election Shows Off His Gun(pics) / Fayose Asked Obj To Submits Himself For Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.