Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts (3087 Views)

4 Actionable Tips To Make Your Blog Content More Readable / How To Write Blog Posts That Increases Your Adsense Earnings / Free Article Rewriter From Google. 100% Unique And Readable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by Ajmuluq(m): 1:25am On Dec 26, 2017
reading from a screen can be hard. If you want your readers to read your entire blog post, you should make sure your post is easy to read.

Posts that are nice and easy to read will result in more returning visitors and a higher conversion rate. In this post, I’ll give five tips on how to improve the readability of your articles.

To help you improve the readability of your post, Yoast SEO now offers a readability check! At this moment it’s fully available for English and German, and partly available for all other languages.

Focus on your audience!
The most important advice I would give you is to make sure your text isn’t too difficult for the audience you’re writing for. If you write about LEGO and focus on kids, your text should be easy to read. But, if your audience consists of scientists with a Ph.D., your text could be much more challenging and still be suitable. The five tips I present below should thus be seen as general rules. For some audiences, a text could be made even simpler, while for other audiences the rules will be a bit too strict.

Tip 1: Clear paragraphs
Make sure to write clear paragraphs. For a blog post, we would advise you always to start your paragraph with the most important sentence. Then explain or elaborate on that sentence. This way a reader will be able to grasp the most relevant content from your article, just by reading the first sentences of your paragraphs. Make sure paragraphs aren’t too long (7 or 8 sentences is quite long already).

Tip 2: Short sentences
Try to write short sentences. Short sentences are easier to read and understand than long sentences. Above that, you will be less likely to make mistakes in grammar as your sentences are rather short. We consider sentences containing more than 20 words as lengthy. Try to limit these long sentences. If you’re writing in English, make sure you only have a few sentences in a blog post that count more than 20 words. Every language has its own limits. Also, make sure a paragraph doesn’t contain more than one long sentence.

Tip 3: Limit difficult words
Limit the use of words that are difficult to read. Remember that reading from a screen is harder for everyone. Words that contain four or more syllables are considered difficult to read. Make sure to limit the use of such difficult words.

Tip 4: Use transition words
You can make a text much more readable by using proper transition words(or signal words, same thing). Transition words are words like ‘most important’, ‘because’, ‘thus’, or ‘besides that’. They give direction to your readers. These words give a signal that something is coming up: if you’re summarizing, you’ll use first, second, third, etc. If you want to contrast you’ll write same, less, rather, while or either. If you want to conclude, you’ll use hence, consequently or therefore.

Using transition words will be like putting cement between your sentences. The relation between two sentences becomes apparent by the use of transition words. Readers will understand your content much better if you make proper use of these kinds of words.

Tip 5: Mix it up!
For a text to be attractive to a reader, it should be very varied. This means that you should try to mix it up a little! Alternate longer paragraphs and sentences with short ones and attempt to use synonyms if you tend to use a word very often. Some people use the word ‘and’ or ‘too’ very often. Mixing it up with ‘also’ or ‘moreover’ could make a text more attractive and much more readable too.

Use Yoast SEO
To assist you in writing readable copy we added a readability check in Yoast SEO. It checks the length of your sentences and paragraphs, and whether you use transition words or subheadings. Moreover, it assesses if you don’t use passive voice too often. On top of that, it calculates the Flesch Reading Ease score, a score that indicates how easy to understand your text is. Check out the readability score of this text:

readability check screenshot

At this moment it’s fully available for English and German, and partly available for all other languages.

Conclusion
If you want your readers to read your entire blog post, you should make sure that your text is easy to read. Don’t make a text more difficult than necessary. Avoid long sentences and write clear paragraphs.

https://wpbind.com/5-tips-write-readable-blog-posts/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by hemucology(m): 6:53am On Dec 26, 2017
Waooooooooooooooooo first to comment.

Well

For latest interlocking stamps and p.o.p

See my signature for more

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by sharpshap(m): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2017
OK Sir
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by olatunyemi(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2017
This is beautiful. Thanks
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by akeentech(m): 6:59am On Dec 26, 2017
olatunyemi:
This is beautiful. Thanks

I always make sure that my yoast seo indicators all turn green before posting and its helping.

GET YOUR ADSENSE APPROVED WITHIN 3 DAYS https://akeentech.com/2017/12/website-google-adsense-approval-within-3-days/

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by Webman007: 6:59am On Dec 26, 2017
Good points....Make your text readable..and...ADD

Oil, Salt,Pepper and Maggi ( descriptive images, infographics if you have any, short video clips, related links, post structure well broken up with sub-headers ) to the mix to make them hang on longer and scroll through your entire post
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by LionInZion: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2017
Educative.
Thanks
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 26, 2017
People won't comment here, since its not "Mercy Johnson nd her nyansh slay on instagram".
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by adeoba2008(m): 8:05am On Dec 26, 2017
Thanks. I have been using Yoast SEO for a while now. Its still remain the best SEO tool for Wordpress blog. The Readability tool is not that easy because it can be frustrating at time. Anyway , nothing is too much to satisfy your audience.
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 26, 2017
akeentech:

I always make sure that my yoast seo indicators all turn green before posting and its helping.

GET YOUR ADSENSE APPROVED WITHIN 3 DAYS https://akeentech.com/2017/12/website-google-adsense-approval-within-3-days/

Are there ways to apply yoast seo to blogger host blog?
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by akeentech(m): 8:38am On Dec 26, 2017
loveymom:

Are there ways to apply yoast seo to blogger host blog?
No for now, reason why you need self hosting service. I can help you
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by udemzyudex(m): 8:47am On Dec 26, 2017
Educative, thanks for the post.
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by IamShiningStar(f): 9:12am On Dec 26, 2017
good one op
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by HowDareU: 9:21am On Dec 26, 2017
As a blogger, you should interchange your article with short and long sentences (variety is the spice of life); limit typographical errors as much as possible, add links to other sites as well. Again, make your article very interesting or else your readers get bored.
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by eddymav: 9:47am On Dec 26, 2017
For your mobile/web development solutions, reach my agency, GRIDWORKS intl Nig ltd on whatsapp with 07084919840. Also for professional Search engine optimization, website/blog article content writing/spinning, article rewriting, proofreading and editing. go on, contact me with 07084919840
Re: 5 Tips To Write Readable Blog Posts by kabarka(m): 10:25am On Dec 26, 2017
Nice tip esp 4&5
@akeentech,thanks for confirming the use of toast sep indicator.

(1) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Start A Blog Site? / How To Make Daily $5 Online / $0.99 .com Promo Code For Godaddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.