Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,841 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 (31127 Views)

Prophet Agyei Agyeman Fredua Predicted Ebony Reigns' Death In 2017. Fans React / 10 Ridiculous Ways Christmas Is Celebrated By Some Nigerians / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by biggerboyc(m): 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
Ok
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 12:50pm On Dec 26, 2017
CandidSeeker:

RELIGION MAY OR MAYNOT INVOLVE GOD.

Going By The Definitions Below, We Are All Religious

An activity that someone is extremely enthusiastic about and does regularly. -Cambridge

A pursuit or interest followed with great devotion. -Oxford Living Dictionaries

A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects. -Dictionary.com

An interest, a belief or an activity that is very important to a person or group. -Webster

Good then... Affirms point

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 12:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
I'd also like to see the end of the tag 'Agnostic Atheist'. It makes no sense. You are either an atheist or agnostic. You can't be both.

Actually agnosticism is atheistic in a broad sense.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 12:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
I'd also like to see the end of the tag 'Agnostic Atheist'. It makes no sense. You are either an atheist or agnostic. You can't be both.
it depends on how you define each term
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

That's bullshit. That's like saying Pantheism is Monotheism in a broad sense.

3 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 12:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
lilmax:
the crap "atheism " should end in 2017

it can't stand without a God....I don't take atheists seriously

3 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
it depends on how you define each term
How YOU define the terms and not the universal acceptance and understanding of both terms? Even if I understand one as the belief in God and the other as Deism?

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 12:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:

For someone to be agnostic, it's already obvious such a person doesn't really believe in God... So by default (absence of belief) an agnostic is in fact atheistic
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
How YOU define the terms and not the universal acceptance and understanding of both terms? Even if I understand one as the belief in God and the other as Deism?

I said it depends on your own definition of both terms

what do you mean when you say "Atheism" and what does the word "Agnosticism" mean to you? could you tell us the "Universal acceptance" of those terms?

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by bkool7(m): 1:01pm On Dec 26, 2017
If a religion does not have a central figure of supernatural/superhuman powers, but is a system of rules, obligations or advice…this is more correctly called a philosophy.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:01pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I said it depends on your own definition of both terms

what do you mean when you say "Atheism" and what does the word "Agnosticism" mean to you? could you tell us the "Universal acceptance" of those terms?
Does this apply to every other definition or just to the definitions of Atheism and Agnosticism?

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
NothingDoMe:
@johnydon22. I'm of the opinion that a mortal man shouldn't make use of the word MUST when he doesn't have the power to enforce it.

I totally agree. I think i was just trying to chip in a dose of humor, sarcasm perhaps. I know none of these arguments really would end, people'd still bring them up in 2018

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Does this apply to every other definition or just to the definitions of Atheism and Agnosticism?

Just define "atheism" and "agnosticism"
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
You are either a free thinker or you are a religious person.
I choose to be religious.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:
I have been on this board for years and one must be forced to admit that all the arguments we go through here have seen numerous recycling. It is not so surprising because the argument of whether God(s) exist or not will always remain an Inconclusive one

But there are also some arguments here that are nothing but just silly. Some absurd arguments unworthy of attention due to the gross misrepresentation or just naivety of the arguer on the subject.

Here are a list of arguments i think should not cross over to 2018.

Atheism is a religion

As ridiculous as this sounds, it still somehow manages to crop up every now and then. Atheism is just as much religion as theism and theism is not a religion but a position.

I will try to simplify this to the most fundamental build-up so that whoever brings it up again, we all will agree is an id-iot.

Theism - Belief that God exists: This is not a religion, it is just a label for exercising belief in God or Gods

Atheism - Disbelief in the existence of God: Just like theism this is still not a religion but rather a label to quantify the position of unbelief in deities.

However. Religions can be formed based on Theistic and atheistic principles.

For example: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism are religions based on the fundamental principles or assumption that God exists,
Broad atheistic religions like Buddhism, Jainism, Taoism lack this principle, either in denial of Gods or a clear indifference to the subject.

Imagine Theism or atheism as beer crates.

In the theistic crate you find A bottle of christianity, Islam, hinduism, ATL and many others. Removes these bottles, the crate will still be there.

Same goes for atheism.

So to say Atheism is a religion is just an imbecilic as saying a crate of beer is a bottle.

Without God, where do atheists get their morality from?

This argument is used often and mostly from a naive standpoint. One must first of all understand the average atheist's stance on morality. Morality is a societal construct, a society makes and sets it's own rules and laws, stipulates it's own morals and this is hinged on a basic definition.

"Anything that decreases human suffering and directly or indirectly affects general societal well being, justice, equality, freedom and continuation"

This definition is socially hinged.

On the other hand, a sin is a religious construct and this are actions that goes against God's will.

A sin therefore is not necessarily societally wrong.

Atheists do not really bother what your religion regards a sin or not, No. Atheists are humans in a human society therefore are guided by human laws and ethics as stipulated by the society.

And also react to certain actions out of empathy, compassion and love and these are human emotions.

Who created the universe?

First, this argument invokes the logical fallacy of begging the question. By using the "term" who, you have already determined that your answer must be a "who" therefore whatever answer that falls out of this predetermined expectation scope is invalid and wrong.

Rather the correct question is "How did the universe came to be?" with this your answer can either be a "who" or a "what"

Again, this argument also is a projection of argument from ignorance, if you do not know how the universe came to be therefore God.

Being an atheist doesn't give you a first row seat during creation, factually we all can only speculate and assume or trying to scientifically connect the dots of creation through scientifically observed facts.

So we may disagree on our world view on how we think it all started but do not assume up or impose a position on the atheist argument until heard.

more to follow.... You may also add yours.
Buddhism is Theistic. They call their God Buddha.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Fegelfire: 1:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
mujahid777:
You gave a humanist definition of what morality should be and not an atheistic one.Atheism in itself has no concept of morality.
Believing in an uncaused universe is an irrational viewpoint,hence the necessity of God.

It's not an irrational viewpoint actually, Mr. "Mujahid 777".

There is literally nothing that presupposes that the universe needed a "cause" to exist - indeed, current theories in debate amongst well established cosmological scientists with PhDs (not Imams with a Quran lodged in their skulls) include the possibility that there IS no end and beginning to space-time, and that the creation of our current universe came from the collapse of a previous universe (Google: Big Bounce). There is absolutely nothing to suggest that it was the work of a sentient creator being and absolutely and it's pretty much impossible for hypothetical creator being to be the god of the Quran from a rudimentary glance at anthropology and human history.

You are trying to apply hand-eye coordination hands-on rationality to the beginning of the fucking universe, and then postulate that a magic superbeing exists to compliment your preconceived theistic conclusions. That in itself is inherently irrational.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 1:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Definitions apply into many things too but even moreso when one is discussing what one thinks are mutually exclusive
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by NothingDoMe: 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

I totally agree. I think i was just trying to chip in a dose of humor, sarcasm perhaps. I know none of these arguments really would end, people'd still bring them up in 2018
grin aight
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
Purebeerry:
You are either a free thinker or you are a religious person.

I choose to be religious.

Good for you. I choose to be free

6 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by ivolt: 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
mujahid777:
You gave a humanist definition of what morality should be and not an atheistic one.
Since atheist are humans, they can adopt whatever human morality that is available.

Atheism in itself has no concept of morality.
Same way theism has no concept of morality

Believing in an uncaused universe is an irrational viewpoint,hence the necessity of God.
What is it with theists and fallacious argument? will you drop dead if you try to be rational for once?
Atheism position is that god/gods doesn't exist, it is a rational position that has nothing to do
with the universe's existence or beginning.
An irrational position is believing that your god created the universe because he must exist,
an even more irrational position is that this particular god is the one that was invented in
the middle-east.
Why will any rational person believe such fairy tale?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

nope Buddhism rejects the notion of a creator deity

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creator_in_Buddhism

3 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Just define "atheism" and "agnosticism"
Google.

Atheism: Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of
deities.

Agnosticism: Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God , of the divine or the
supernatural is unknown or
unknowable.

Now Define Agnosticism Atheism?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

Nope, Buddha is not God in buddhism. Buddha simply means a state of enlightenment, perfect intelligence or ethical precision.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

How? I disagree. Agnosticism is the bridge between Theism and Atheism.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Definitions apply into many things too but even moreso when one is discussing what one thinks are mutually exclusive
You didn't answer my question. Does this mutual exclusivity define anything? If what I think about Christianity in a discussion is the worship of Muhammad and Allah, what then? Am I good enough to be engaged?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
How? I disagree. Agnosticism is the bridge between Theism and Atheism.

Does an agnostic belief in God?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Fegelfire: 1:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

Are you... mentally challenged? Do you not know how to google something or borrow an encyclopaedia from a local library?

Gautama Buddha was a man who lived in Eastern India around 2600 years ago, 600 years before Jesus and 1200 years before Mohammad. He did not claim to be the "son of god", nor did he claim to be a prophet. He merely began taught a practice and way of life that drew a compromise between the cruelty of Vedic practices (etc. caste systems) and the asceticism of East India (fasting, self-destruction, etc.).

Some Buddhists do believe in spirits and other such stuff, yes. But to call Buddhism "theistic" and that they see Gautama as "God" is straight nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by sirfee(m): 1:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:
Atheism is the opposite of religion

This is typically found among atheists especially new ones. Somehow most people mistake irreligiously for atheism which is not so.

One do not necessarily need to be religious to believe in God.

And one also do not necessarily need to be irreligious in order to be atheistic.

Though it will be fair to note that irreligiousness is mostly found in atheists but there are also people who believe in God but are not religious.

One can be religious and still be atheistic, there are numerous religious practices that exempt or are indifferent to the existence of God.

Irreligiosness is the direct opposite of religiosity

A truer statement rather is that Atheism is the opposite of theism

Can you back up the bolded statement,what do you have to say about deism.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:11pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Google.

Atheism: Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of
deities.

Agnosticism: Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God , of the divine or the
supernatural is unknown or
unknowable.

Now Define Agnosticism Atheism?

using same Google.

Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Good for you. I choose to be free
Whatever that rocks your boat.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by MrMystrO(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:

Lol funny enough, it is.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
sirfee:

Can you back up the bolded statement.

There are atheistic religions, or even the practice of conventional religions without the belief in God. Example Christian atheism

what do you have to say about deism.

An example of belief in a God without religion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Apostle Chinyere Chibuzor Places A Curse On Happie Boys Over Leaked Chat (Audio) / Prophet Pictured Kissing His Wife & House Help Is Mentally Ill−Tanzanian Police / Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.