Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 (31136 Views)

Prophet Agyei Agyeman Fredua Predicted Ebony Reigns' Death In 2017. Fans React / 10 Ridiculous Ways Christmas Is Celebrated By Some Nigerians / What Has God Done For You In 2017; That Deserves His Praise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:13pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

nope Buddhism rejects the notion of a creator deity

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creator_in_Buddhism
But it entertains beliefs of the supernatural
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 1:13pm On Dec 26, 2017
This is more of a Biological argument and not a religious one but it still relates.

IF WE EVOLVE FROM MONKEYS WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS? grin

This s#it must end 2018 grin cause it makes you wonder if the person even has a knowledge of what he/she is talking about.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:13pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

using same Google.

Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
Doesn't the lack of belief in a deity suggest knowability?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 1:14pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
You didn't answer my question. Does this mutual exclusivity define anything? If what I think about Christianity in a discussion is the worship of Muhammad and Allah, what then? Am I good enough to be engaged?

now I get your question

this is what you said in your first post "I'd also like to see the end of the tag 'Agnostic Atheist'. It makes no sense. You are either an atheist or agnostic. You can't be both."

I said it depends on how you define atheism and agnosticism cuz contrary to what people think, atheism has lots of definitions and there's no "Universal acceptance" of those terms like you are actually claiming
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by ivolt: 1:14pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Does this apply to every other definition or just to the definitions of Atheism and Agnosticism?
Don't be confused, agnosticism is a position of knowledge and not of believe.
An agnostic theist is a person who believes in a god(s) but doesn't know for sure
if one exist while an agnostic atheist is a person who doesn't believe in a god(s)
and can't know for sure if one exist.

One line dictionary definitions are not a smart way to discuss philosophical intellectual topics.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
But it entertain beliefs of the supernatural
You can be an atheist and still believe in the supernatural yeah i know its wierd but atheist who do believe in supernatural do exist grin
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by hopefulLandlord: 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

belief in the Supernatural =/= belief in god (s)
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:

an atheist can believe in Supernatural things. Definition of atheism stops at "Disbelief in God"
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by ivolt: 1:16pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
This is more of a Biological argument and not a religious one but it still relates.

IF WE EVOLVE FROM MONKEYS WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS? grin

This s#it must end 2018 grin cause it makes you wonder if the person even has a knowledge of what he/she is talking about.

Many people confuse evolutionary biology with atheism mainly due to
ignorant pastors and imams misrepresenting and teaching what they
don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:16pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:

Nope. Just like "belief" doesn't suggest same
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Does an agnostic belief in God?
Not entirely. Atheist: entirely.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
Not entirely. Atheist: entirely.

I do not understand this.

Does an agnostic believe in God?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by sonofthunder: 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Atheism is the disbelief in God(s).. Niaraland religious section treats the subject of God, so we are here to air our own opinion on the subject of God..
but you just said atheism is not a religion, can you please explain how you do not need another section to air your opinion of God because I believed its the religion of those in said section that ignites their views on the subject of God.
just like you said, it treats the subject of (belief in) God and not a disbelief... maybe Seun should create an irreligious or miscellaneous section.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

now I get your question

this is what you said in your first post "I'd also like to see the end of the tag 'Agnostic Atheist'. It makes no sense. You are either an atheist or agnostic. You can't be both."

I said it depends on how you define atheism and agnosticism cuz contrary to what people think, atheism has lots of definitions and there's no "Universal acceptance" of those terms like you are actually claiming

Okay. Nice. But there are etymologies and things cannot be completely semantically uprooted from their etymologies. Would it be wrong to use it here? Is there even any definition of atheism that is etymologically different?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
No it doesn't which is where agnosticism comes into play. In atheism, we say there is no proof to suggest that a God exists this does not mean that a God does not exist it only means that there isn't enough proof to suggest that one does exist.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Deicide: 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2017
ivolt:

Many people confuse evolutionary biology with atheism mainly due to ignorant pastors and imams misrepresenting and teaching what they don't understand.
Lol so they now teach evolutionary biology in church?

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

an atheist can believe in Supernatural things. Definition of atheism stops at "Disbelief in God"

Yet God is supernatural grin

Okay o feel free to continue in your delusion. cheesy

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2017
sonofthunder:

but you just said atheism is not a religion, can you please explain how you do not need another section to air your opinion of God because I believed its the religion of those in said section that ignites their views on the subject of God.
just like you said, it treats the subject of (belief in) God and not a disbelief... maybe Seun should create an irreligious or miscellaneous section.

"God" is not peculiar to religion as a subject. More so, an atheist can be religious too as stated on my post.

Again, both God and religions are matters of public concerns as we feel the effects of these two subjects none withstanding our position or opinion on them
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by bkool7(m): 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Actually agnosticism is atheistic in a broad sense.

An agnostic believes it is impossible to know if god(s) exist ("Strong Agnosticism"wink, or believes that the answer may in principle be discovered, but is currently not known ("Weak Agnosticism"wink. Some agnostics feel that the answer is not important.

An atheist belie lieves that god(s) do not exist ("Strong Atheism"wink or does not believe in the existence of any known deities but does not explicitly assert there to be none ("Weak Atheism"wink.

I'll just say an agnostic is making himself avialable to be convinced While atheist is simply a deviant

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2017
ivolt:

Don't be confused, agnosticism is a position of knowledge and not of believe.
An agnostic theist is a person who believes in a god(s) but doesn't know for sure
if one exist while an agnostic atheist is a person who doesn't believe in a god(s)
and can't know for sure if one exist.

One line dictionary definitions are not a smart way to discuss philosophical intellectual topics.
That's my problem. Can one claim to belief there's no God and still say he's not sure if there's a God? Or you mean to say that Atheists, by been atheists, have no logical basis for their position since what they have is just a belief?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:23pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

This belief is contrasting. Isn't the concept of God itself a supernatural thing?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Xisnin(m): 1:24pm On Dec 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
I'd also like to see the end of the tag 'Agnostic Atheist'. It makes no sense. You are either an atheist or agnostic. You can't be both.

Wrong, you are either an atheist or a theist.
Agnostic is just a descriptive term used by people who are too scared to call themselves atheist
even though they are practically atheist.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:24pm On Dec 26, 2017
bkool7:

An agnostic believes it is impossible to know if god(s) exist ("Strong Agnosticism"wink, or believes that the answer may in principle be discovered, but is currently not known ("Weak Agnosticism"wink. Some agnostics feel that the answer is not important.

Now the important question, judging from the agnostic position would you say such a person believes in the concept of God abound?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:25pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
This belief is contrasting. Isn't the concept of God itself a supernatural thing?

A unicorn is a natural concept but we don't believe it exist none the less. So one can believe in supernatural while maintaining disbelief for the concept of God.

That you say that a bag exists doesn't mean you believe a diamond ball is inside the bag

I hope you understand it now
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 1:25pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Kindly list the "supernatural " things an atheist can believe in and also list those YOU believe in.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Geofavor(m): 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

I do not understand this.

Does an agnostic believe in God?
No, but not entirely.

Does an atheist believe in God?

No, and entirely.
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
Deicide:
No it doesnt which is where agnotism comes into play. In atheism we say there is no proof to sujest that a God exist this does not mean that a God does not exist it only means that there isnt enough proof to sujest that one does exist.
Not enough proof is not atheism. Even science, an entirely different field, could say so. Atheism is simply the belief in the absence of gods. Agnosticism says we don't know if there is god or not. Atheism says we know he doesn't exist. Then we make a man who knows and doesn't know. How do you reconcile that?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by johnydon22(m): 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
Geofavor:
No, but not entirely.

Thus broadly..

comprehende?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by butterflyl1on: 1:29pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

A unicorn is a natural concept but we don't believe it exist none the less. So one can believe in supernatural while maintaining disbelief for the concept of God.

That you say that a bag exists doesn't mean you believe a diamond ball is inside the bag

I hope you understand it now

Stop confusing yourself and pulling others along in your confusion. You are talking about atheists being able to believe in the supernatural but not in God yet in order to give an example you used a unicorn which is a natural creature or is a unicorn regarded as supernatural in your village?

What has a bag existing got to do with any ball being in the bag? The bag is in focus and is different from a ball being inside the said bag except you want to talk about both in one breath but individually they are separated in focus.

Comprende?
Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by daveP(m): 1:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
Smh. Semantic breakdown alone can trash out all these stuff you consider as backup point for atheism. laughable and cunny. atheist being shifting stance since 2000years ago to make up for loopholes their legends stood on but never addressed. The search for the "TRUTH" is just what many of them practice, and not atheism. And that leads us back to Solomon the preacher..

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Arguments That Must End In 2017 by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:34pm On Dec 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Nope. Just like "belief" doesn't suggest same
But it is because you know something about that you reject it? You are not in a neutral position like a new born baby. You decided to reject it because you studied it and know it is full of shit. So you know. And if you don't or think there proof is not good enough, why not stay neutral like an agnostic until you know a lot? Why should a man who knows there's no God be the same man who knows God is unknowable?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Michael McIntyre: Millionaire Who Hated God Gets Saved, Now Helping Christians / What Will Become Of Those Who Have Died Before The Birth Of Christ? / Meet Brian Deacon The Man Who Acted Jesus Of Nazareth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.