Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos (4570 Views)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / Watch The Annual Egun Obisesan, A Masquerade That Founded Ibadan / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 5:29am On Dec 29, 2017
Egun also known as Gu or Ogu is one of the Gbe languages, and it is spoken in the Badagry - Seme area of Lagos state and the Ipokia, Yewa, Tube, Ijofin area of Ogun state, from struggling to survive, the angage is moving closer to a gradual death. Initially most of the Population became bilingual in both Ogu and Yoruba. These days however, a lot of the younger generation are no longer able to speak the language, and it seems the line of language transmission from Adults to new members of their society has been broken.
Sentiments towards the use of the language are changing, as the language is now seen as backward and uncivilized compared to Yoruba, and with its use comes an accompanying baggage of some sort of "savagery" or "bushness". Even among those who still speak the language, an increasing part of their vocabulary is being replaced by Yoruba words. Gungbe has an estimated total number of 700,000 speakers, about half (350,000) of which are on the Nigerian side of the border, the other half live in Benin, around Porto Novo and its environs. (Lewis et al 2013).

As a minority language that is spoken by less than 5% of Lagos State’s population, Gungbe has the unique status of being the only Kwa language in Nigeria. Yorùbá, which is one of the official recognised national languages is the dominant host language spoken in Badagry.
From a survey taken on the Individual linguistic repertoire of languages in the town of badagry, the following were observed:

http://yorubaparapo.com/thread/410/death-egun-lagos-ogun-states

Egun are not Yoruba they are the indigenous to Badagry, Epe, Benin republic and even Lekki
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by businessempire: 5:37am On Dec 29, 2017
shocked

I hate that language ehn

Badagry people, bush people!.
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by JBismarck(m): 5:49am On Dec 29, 2017
OK na,
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by doyinbaby(f): 6:18am On Dec 29, 2017
IkpuMmadu:
Egun also known as Gu or Ogu is one of the Gbe languages, and it is spoken in the Badagry - Seme area of Lagos state and the Ipokia, Yewa, Tube, Ijofin area of Ogun state, from struggling to survive, the angage is moving closer to a gradual death. Initially most of the Population became bilingual in both Ogu and Yoruba. These days however, a lot of the younger generation are no longer able to speak the language, and it seems the line of language transmission from Adults to new members of their society has been broken.
Sentiments towards the use of the language are changing, as the language is now seen as backward and uncivilized compared to Yoruba, and with its use comes an accompanying baggage of some sort of "savagery" or "bushness". Even among those who still speak the language, an increasing part of their vocabulary is being replaced by Yoruba words. Gungbe has an estimated total number of 700,000 speakers, about half (350,000) of which are on the Nigerian side of the border, the other half live in Benin, around Porto Novo and its environs. (Lewis et al 2013).

As a minority language that is spoken by less than 5% of Lagos State’s population, Gungbe has the unique status of being the only Kwa language in Nigeria. Yorùbá, which is one of the official recognised national languages is the dominant host language spoken in Badagry.
From a survey taken on the Individual linguistic repertoire of languages in the town of badagry, the following were observed:

Egun are not Yoruba they are the indigenous to Badagry, Epe, Benin republic and even Lekki
the egun people are the best to preserve their language
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by IkpuMmadu: 7:24am On Dec 29, 2017
businessempire:
shocked

I hate that language ehn

Why do you hate the language....I think badagry are nice folks

1 Like

Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by AxxeMan: 10:25am On Dec 29, 2017
businessempire:
shocked

I hate that language ehn

Yoruba's and thier intolerance of other languages is so disgusting

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by scholes0(m): 1:14pm On Dec 29, 2017
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
what concerns typical ipob jew with yoruba matters? do u let igala in anambra also survive.
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by rhektor(m): 7:11pm On Jan 01, 2018
AxxeMan:

Yoruba's and thier intolerance of other languages is so disgusting

Must you comment at all? I have observed that you jump from thread to thread to diss Yorubas let me ask you what is it that keep you killing yourself from within whenever you hear or think of Yoruba? This thread is not about Yoruba but you find a way to tie it around Yoruba. My guy try give youself a break this is 2018.
Happy new year brother
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by Hseyon: 12:51pm On Jan 02, 2019
businessempire:
shocked

I hate that language ehn

This just reeks of ignorance
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by Olu317(m): 11:48am On Jan 03, 2019
rhektor:

Must you comment at all? I have observed that you jump from thread to thread to diss Yorubas let me ask you what is it that keep you killing yourself from within whenever you hear or think of Yoruba? This thread is not about Yoruba but you find a way to tie it around Yoruba. My guy try give youself a break this is 2018.
Happy new year brother
2019, you meant?
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by rhektor(m): 12:31pm On Jan 03, 2019
Olu317:
2019, you meant?

The thread was in January 2018 sir. How have you been sir? Happy New year to you
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by Olu317(m): 2:39pm On Jan 03, 2019
rhektor:

The thread was in January 2018 sir. How have you been sir? Happy New year to you
Oh I see....Happy New Year to You too.

Cheers
Re: Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos by Alice07: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2019
IkpuMmadu:

I want to learn the language if only I can find someone to teach me.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Independence Day Nigeria (with The Most Beautiful Images Ever). / How Did You Become Certain There Is No God / What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.