Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,136 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Remembering A Break Up-a Short Story By Avatarmode - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Remembering A Break Up-a Short Story By Avatarmode (525 Views)

Not Just An Ordinary Day (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) / When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Remembering A Break Up-a Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 4:03pm On Dec 30, 2017

It has been close to a year, more like eight months or so since he left his last relationship. He was surprised that it had taken that long. At first, he counted in minutes, feeling that the time was dragging since the time on his phone was acting slow and funny. But the funny attitude was not strong enough to put a laughter in him. He had forgotten when last he laughed. It seemed like he was now the new frown god.

He felt dark and gloomy and had depression for a close paddy. It seemed as if these three and all like them were his default feelings. He would sleep with them and wake up with them. They had mounted his emotional gate and hindered any form of happiness or excitement from getting in.

He hung his head like some electric wires hang loose from some NEPA poles. At least for those ones, the members of the neighborhood would call the NEPA officials to come and fix them, "Make dem repair am before the thing kee person". It was as if gravity took a toll on his head and decided to do a master job on it. Down it went all day long.

But he was not interested in getting repaired. He liked his new self. He wanted to stay cold, dark and depressed. He didn't want anyone to fix him. He just wanted to be left alone. It made him have a 'me against the world' feeling. Like one that the whole human race rose to maltreat, someone persecuted for no cause.

He discovered a new way to spend his time and use his mind. He would sit still with his hanging head and his eyes dark, and brood over the whole event. The event of the break up, from when the kick off whistle was blown by the 'umpire of break up matches' till when the final whistle was blown.

He seemed to like his pain- the resultant feeling and condition of mind that the event created in him. He would replay the video of that very event again and again, just to revive and keep that feeling running. He had it on the repeat button.

Oh, he needed a pity party. Oh, someone should just say sorry. Someone should just tell him, "that's how these ladies behave". He needed to hear that. It would have helped. He wanted to feel innocent. It would help him not pity himself, a sign of a cheap value she had put on him, but feel it was not his fault, that he was not a cheap guy that would descend and act in such poor way. Can someone say something? And yet, he must act in a way that would avoid him looking like someone at the mercy of what someone has to say. He didn't want to act as if he was in need. No need to beg. In fact, if someone had even told him that he was clean and faultless and innocent, he would just show no emotions whatsoever.

"Humans? They just want to act like little gods and when they sense that their act or word had a 'saving' effect on another, they would just pull out their pocket trumpets, polish them and go up and down blowing them for all to hear", he muttered to himself.

After replaying the video of the event, he would set a panel of analysts in the studio of his mind, and begin to analyze it. Not analysts other than himself. Just himself in different versions. His spiritual self- that has a Bible verse or two to quote, his emotional self- who has stuffs to feel, his logical and blaming self- who traces events that led to his heartbreak and points a long finger at him and whispers, "I told you", his angry self- who would boil and steam off, and then he- his own self or whatever that means that would do the job of throwing out the questions from his box of many questions and also serve as the judge.

Why did she leave him? What did she even say that was her reason? Oh, he had forgotten. Then he would make an attempt to recall. It was typical. Bend his head, arch his brow, and take a quick flight to the past to memory land. Again? Nothing? You mean, I couldn't get any reason from all she said? What? I think I might be missing something. Let's check again. And he would repeat the mental journey again and end up with same results.

Well, he wasn't really listening to her. He just kept his ears there. And let his mind switch off. They say, we hear with our ears but listen with our mind. He knew the purpose of the meeting but he hated himself for thinking that that was the purpose of the meeting.

"Stop being uselessly and negatively smart. ITK", he coldly told himself. "It may not be what you think".

So, when they sat, and he asked her, just an attempt to be polite and maybe make her change her mind and forget the topic she had intended them to discuss, if she would like to take anything as refreshment, and she said no. Soft drink? No, was the answer. What of water? No. Same answer. It send cold shivers down his spine.

"Bros" his negative sided brain, the side with the minus(-) sign at the end said to him, "Shebi I tell you?"

Then when she opened her mouth after he had tried to crack some jokes to lighten up the atmosphere around them to no avail, started to talk, he switched off. NEPA don take light? His mind went dark in a broad day afternoon. His positive sided brain was behind it. It had ran and turned off the switch. No light.

He wasn't listening. It was bad news. No time for bad news.
"Guard your heart diligently...", he had read in his Bible. He was here to practice it. He wasn't here to listen to such news. Wicked news. It would make his head pound later and sent migraine at the speed of light into his brain cells. Since, it would seem rude for him to walk out of her or have that such act counted as an act of cowardice (in his own head), he sat still.and switched off his mind. "Not now", he told himself, "Not now. Be interested in your personal happiness "

"Personal happiness? Who is talking of happiness when such news is being broadcasted? That kind of news creates a mountain of sadness and takes breakers to the walls of the heart and shatters the heart, grinds it to dust and employs and asks for the wind to blow it far out to the four corners of the earth", his negative and pessimistic side of the brain texted him. The message indicated delivered. He began to have uneven breaths and gasp for air codedly. He must not fall his hand before this gal. She was not shaken by his reactions.

"Hard thing", he cursed her inwardly

He tried to listen to her again. Why was he even attempting on that? Oh, he remembered. He needed to give feedback. If he was to argue and push for them to still stay together, he must at least have to speak intelligently and close to the ideas of what she had communicated. He would then use some of her words, especially the positive ones and bend some to favour his case. At the end, it would seem to her that they were really dealing with a little stuff that wouldn't require a break up.

But his mind went AWOL. Where is these guys (referring to his mental ears)? But he did not search long when she heard her say, "That's all I have to say and I cannot change my mind under any condition. I have to go because I don't want you to say anything about this. Let's just end it here and now"

She was really leaving him. Oh boy! Bad stuff. Big bad. He wanted to say something. The anger department of his brain wanted to yell and say, "You cold blooded being....", but his mouth acted like an ATM machine that just finished counting cash and ended up dispensing none. He was silent. Why was he silent? This was not what he wanted. Why was his mouth failing him.

She stared at him, "I am leaving". And rose up and walked out. He sat perplexed. What a show? What a break up?

Ok...back to now. He just did a flash back. He laughed at himself. Here he is, about to make another attempt on another lady. Love things creeping up but trust him...he wanted to it better this time.

The END!
Re: Remembering A Break Up-a Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 4:08pm On Dec 30, 2017
Hello Peeps, this is a very short work. If a work is to be called 'shortee', it should be this. But I need you guys to read it. Make your reviews and offer comments. Yes, I need comments...you can punch me with some, no shaking... but comment...
Many thanks to those who read my last work- Something New, especially the 'ghost readers crew'. I throway salute for Una camp o....please make Una 'de-ghost' Una reading small...
Having said these, I will let you read before I now say something that will make someone get angry and refuse to read....
Enjoy!...

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Before My Friend Die, Advise A Friend / Amoo (a Poem From An Introvert To Himself / The Night I Still Remember

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.