Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,632 members, 7,813,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians (850 Views)

Press Conference For GREATER LAGOS FIESTA 2022 / One Lagos Fiesta Badagry-the Untold Stories And Behind The Scenes / Photos From One Lagos Fiesta, Agege (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by IAmSkinny: 1:01am On Dec 31, 2017
A few days ago, I decided to check out the ongoing Lagos Fiesta happening somewhere not too far from my place. I learned a lot of things that day about average Nigerians and I am going to share some with you. Hey, I am not generalizing at all, so pardon me wherever you see "Nigerians", it should be "most Nigerians" but for the sake of this article, I will say "Nigerians".

But before I proceed, here is a big shout out to the Governor of Lagos State, dude is awesome. Security was one hundred!
Ok... Let's continue..
Nigerians don't pay attention to lyrics, we don't like good music:
So, at the event, stage was cleared for upcoming acts to come show what they got and this dude mounts the stage, grabs the mic and start singing. Honestly, the song was good; the content, the beats and the delivery was just good. The music dwelled on issues like kids dying from malaria, guns, violence and some things I can't remember.
The audience cared less about these stuffs so they all started booing and wooing, making the "leave the stage gesture" with their raised hands. Some were shouting "ekuro lor nor" (forgive my Yoruba, I am still learning the language).
Same thing happened to a guitar welding musician who sang about triumphing over problems and difficulties with a song titled "walls of Jericho". In fact, he was virtually chased out of the stage. But guess what happened next when the next act mounted the stage this "woos woos wobi and skibi robo robo ski shake your nyash" style of song?

The Police is your mortal enemy.
When I got to the venue of the event, I met someone trying to create a little scene because the man-o-war guys were harassing him so the boy I came in with tried calming him down with few words. Then this hungry looking police officer with a huge lump on his head jumps outta nowhere and holds them by the trousers (the boy I came and the guy creating a scene), drags them into this LAWMA van and locks them up! I tried reasoning with the silly police officer but the ido$t told me he would charge them to court for assault and some other offences too serious to be contained in the English dictionary. Ha! He went ahead to inform me that they will be detained until the 4th of January and we shall have to come bail them at Oshodi. He encouraged me to call his folks quickly bla bla..........(this line sounds familiar right?). The boys were released about 2 hours later sha after I ignored them completely.
Nigerians are good at damaging government properties:
After standing for an hour, I got really tired and decided to sit. I made for a good spot and made myself really comfortable. I monitored the people moving around and I made a shocking discovery. These people were damaging the stadium plastic seats with their thoughtless maneuvers all in the name of taking a shortcut right across the seats. They were stepping right on the most fragile part of the seats designed for people to put their back on. They virtually turned the damn seat back rest into a convenient staircase. They stepped on it on their way up and did the same on their way down! You all know fragile that stuff is, don't you?
My last observation, although not officially on the list has to do with the Yoruba language. I noticed everything and almost anything that has to do with communication was done with the Yoruba language. I wasn't following at all when it got to a stage which made everything kind of boring and I was just standing and looking like a complete stranger plus everyone standing right next to me looked at me with the weird "you no sabi Yoruba" look. This also confirmed my skepticism that people will give you that second class citizen kind of attitude in Lagos state once you don't understand the language.

Watch out for part 2
Don't forget to check my blog www.fototech.com.ng
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by IAmSkinny: 1:16am On Dec 31, 2017
Mynd44
Rocktation
Lalasticlala.
Seun..
Make this thread see FP na.
All these people viewing this thread this kyn time, una no de sleep?
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 31, 2017
undecided
Of course nigerians dont care about lyrics, those top song in u.s billboard chart will not make 1st 50 here in nigeria because the average nigerian is a semi mad man that needs semi mad song from semi mad artists. Imagine how drake & wizkid one dance that made extraordinary wave around the globe was simply ignored by nigerians but that one corner with no sense has been widely accepted here in nigeria.

About destroying govt properties........ it's our work oooo
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by Khd95(m): 1:52am On Dec 31, 2017
Talking bout good songs Who listened to EFE warri feat olamide

Walai EFE is a waste of precious studio time and resource..
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by mamaafrik(m): 8:23am On Dec 31, 2017
Sorry but daTs Lagos for you, wait, did you forget that Lagos is a Yoruba speaking state. Little complain, just flow with the rhymes.
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by IAmSkinny: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2017
brosci:
undecided
Of course nigerians dont care about lyrics, those top song in u.s billboard chart will not make 1st 50 here in nigeria because the average nigerian is a semi mad man that needs semi mad song from semi mad artists. Imagine how drake & wizkid one dance that made extraordinary wave around the globe was simply ignored by nigerians but that one corner with no sense has been widely accepted here in nigeria.

About destroying govt properties........ it's our work oooo

People were just screaming play one corner..play one corner. Nigerians are really crazy o.
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by IAmSkinny: 10:14am On Dec 31, 2017
Khd95:
Talking bout good songs Who listened to EFE warri feat olamide

Walai EFE is a waste of precious studio time and resource..
The song is extremely wack.
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by IronPants: 12:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
What are the mods waiting for? Lalasticlala as this one no be snake thread abi? Mynd44 how far?
Re: Lagos Fiesta: Three Things I Learnt About Average Nigerians by okwabayi(m): 3:54pm On Oct 09, 2018
All the observations are true.

(1) (Reply)

See How Uniben Student Celebrated His Birthday / Watch This New Video / Peacecalm Catering Service.event Decoration And Baking Of Cakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.