Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries (1500 Views)

Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? / Start A Career In Arbitration Without A Law Degree / What Can I Do With A Law Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by tourphland(m): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2018
I'll like to enquire and seek for admonition on how useful Nigeria LLB degree is on international scene especially in developed countries like the uk and canada....
Is it possible for Nigeria llb holder to practise or work as a corporate lawyer in those developed countries... And also if it's possible I'll like to know how it is done our any one who's done it before should pls share his or her experiences.
Canda, Australia,us. And uk .... Or any other jurisdiction
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by BlackDBagba: 12:15am On Jan 04, 2018
You can't 'practice' as a corporate lawyer with just your degree qualification. You need valid practical work experience in your CV for prospective employer's to consider you.

Best thing to do is check out top corporate organizations and visit their career's webpage. There's usually an indication of the kind of person and experience they are looking for.

The above is for the UK. London to be precise.

Good luck!
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by tourphland(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2018
BlackDBagba:
You can't 'practice' as a corporate lawyer with just your degree qualification. You need valid practical work experience in your CV for prospective employer's to consider you.

Best thing to do is check out top corporate organizations and visit their career's webpage. There's usually an indication of the kind of person and experience they are looking for.

The above is for the UK. London to be precise.

Good luck!
Thanks bruv, so you are saying it's well possible to work with a degree here oversee?
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by BlackDBagba: 2:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
Yes. You can work here with your law degree but try to obtain relevant work experience and keep contact with your manager's for reference.

tourphland:

Thanks bruv, so you are saying it's well possible to work with a degree here oversee?
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by tourphland(m): 5:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
BlackDBagba:
Yes. You can work here with your law degree but try to obtain relevant work experience and keep contact with your manager's for reference.

please sorry for bothering, you said experiences can u please analyse or expand more on what u mean by that our examples please for better clarification
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by BlackDBagba: 5:21pm On Jan 04, 2018
Get a job in the same field whilst in Nigeria, even if its volunteering.

tourphland:
please sorry for bothering, you said experiences can u please analyse or expand more on what u mean by that our examples please for better clarification
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by tourphland(m): 6:31pm On Jan 04, 2018
BlackDBagba:
Get a job in the same field whilst in Nigeria, even if its volunteering.

ok thanks....... What field do u feel is marketable over there
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by LegitBoy(m): 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2018
I'm interested in this as i'm currently a student at the Nigerian law school. From my little knowledge, i think you have to go to law school over there for you ro qualified as a barrister or solicitor( Corporate practice). I think it is 3years . I'm saying this based in hearsay not first hand information.

I'm following.
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by BlackDBagba: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2018
Its not about 'marketable'. You're already thinking of doing a law degree. Do it or any other degree you want. Just make sure you get work experience in a law firm, so that when you come over, you will be judged to have relevant working experience and it would be easy to get a job here.

I'm sorry I can't explain any more than this.

Good luck.

tourphland:
ok thanks....... What field do u feel is marketable over there
Re: Nigeria Law Degree (LLB) And Usefulness In Other Countries by waso12: 7:58am On Jul 30, 2022
I don't think it would be valid in Europe or North America, where any such document requires verification. But if you can get your degree validated, then you can either get a job with a law firm or open an office and make sure everyone knows about you, in my city, there is a Best Criminal Lawyer in Monmouth County, who helps people who get into bad situations through no fault of their own to prove their innocence.

(1) (Reply)

HAPPENING NOW: Fire Outbreak Rocks UBA House In Lagos Island / Institute Of Public Management / Does It Mean Dat Studing MATHS As A Course Will Make One End Up As A Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.