Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage (829 Views)

TUC Gives Govs 21-day Ultimatum On Minimum Wage / Col. Ibrahim Sakaba's Wife Issues Ultimatum To The Nigerian Army / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by Aonkuuse(m): 8:48am On Jan 04, 2018
By Victor Ahiuma-Young

THOUGH a tripartite National Minimum Wage Committee was inaugurated by the President Muhammadu Buhari on November 27, 2017, it is becoming obvious that Organised Labour and indeed, workers, are now restive over the protracted issue which has been a focal point of Labour agitation since 2015 when the current N18,000 minimum wage elapsed.

Indications have emerged that the issue will certainly dominate Labour discourse.

As a pointer, Labour has issued deadline for all processes concerning a new national minimum wage to be concluded.

For Organised Labour on the platform of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, TUC, and the United Labour Congress of Nigeria, ULC, the issue of a new minimum wage has to be addressed as quickly as possible to avoid industrial unrest.

In its New Year message, NLC through its President, Ayuba Wabba, said among others things: “Following the recent inauguration of the tripartite National Minimum Wage Negotiating Committee by President Buhari, it is the expectation of Nigerian workers that the committee under the chairmanship of Ms. Ama Pepple, former Head of Service of the Federation, will expeditiously conclude its assignment.

This is because a new national minimum wage has been due for over a year now. It is also our expectation that upon completion of negotiations, the National Assembly will give the executive bill that will emerge, an accelerated passage for the new national minimum wage to become a reality before the end of the 3rd quarter of 2018.

“We entered into the new year with several states owing workers arrears of several months of salaries and pensions. We wish to re-state our determination to continue to mobilise for the full payment of these outstanding salaries and pensions.

As we approach the 2019 general elections, workers will certainly not forget governors that subjected them to untold hardship by refusal to pay their earned entitlements on the excuse of scarcity of resources while choosing to pay themselves, their political appointees and cronies’ huge packages.”

In the same vein, TUC through its President and Secretary-General, Bobboi Kaigama and Musa Lawal, respectively, demanded that “the National Minimum Wage Committee set up by the Federal Government should conclude everything concerning the new wage on or before the end of the second quarter of 2018.

“All state governments should pay all outstanding salaries and allowances to workers before the end of the first quarter in 2018. All corrupt political officials should face the music, irrespective of their political affiliations. No more soft landing for anybody found to have looted the country.”

On its part, ULC through its President, Joe Ajaero said: “Our hands are stretched out to all whose interests it is to rid Nigeria of all the crass and corrupt actions of those in position of governance even as we commit to negotiating a fair and equitable minimum wage that would truly serve Nigerian workers and masses effectively and positively.

We shall ensure that the minimum wage review is concluded expeditiously and becomes law on or before February, 2018.

“ULC will work with other groupings with which it has already entered into discussions to ensure that the different platforms for insipid corruption leading to underdevelopment, is interrogated, exposed and dethroned.

We shall look into the hidden and institutionalised corruption that the management of the nation’s coffers especially the Foreign Exchange, FX, conundrum has become and we shall seek a new framework that would enable economic development that would benefit Nigerian masses.”

source:https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/labour-issues-ultimatum-new-minimum-wage/amp/
cc lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by Ahmed0336(m): 8:54am On Jan 04, 2018
What is 3rd quarter of 2018? E too far abeg angry
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by LionDeLeo: 8:56am On Jan 04, 2018
I hope this NLC can bite as well.

The only language govt seems to understand is civil disobedience.

But I don't understand "end of last qtr of 2018", pls can anyone explain? angry
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by LionDeLeo: 8:57am On Jan 04, 2018
Ahmed0336:
Even me, I don't understand.

1 Like

Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by magoo10(m): 8:58am On Jan 04, 2018
Nigeria labour congress and everything that gives democratic sense of belonging is dead under the evil party APC.
Even the once revered Adams oshiomole got initiated to the party and helped wreck the organization he and many died fighting for.

It is quite a shame that NLC the hope of common man can bark but cannot bite.
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by greatgod2012(f): 9:06am On Jan 04, 2018
NLC

Toothless dogs that can only bark but can't bite!

Mtchew......
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by ckmayoca: 9:09am On Jan 04, 2018
corrupt nlc abeg fear God.
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by greatgod2012(f): 9:11am On Jan 04, 2018
LionDeLeo:
I hope this NLC can bite as well.

The only language govt seems to understand is civil disobedience.

But I don't understand "end of last qtr of 2018", pls can anyone explain? angry

1st quarter= January to March.
2nd quarter=April to June.
3rd quarter= July to September.
4th or last quarter= October to December.

Don't mind them, NLC as a body is a toothless dog that can only bark but can't bite.
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by LionDeLeo: 9:42am On Jan 04, 2018
greatgod2012:

1st quarter= January to March.
2nd quarter=April to June.
3rd quarter= July to September.
4th or last quarter= October to December.

Don't mind them, NLC as a body is a toothless dog that can only bark but can't bite.
Sis, I understand where 3rd qtr falls in the calendar, but you don't understand my question.

My question is; why 3rd quarter, despite the expeditious action expected of the committee to review the pay issue and with the promise of paying the reviewed pay with effect from Jan 2018?
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by greatgod2012(f): 11:34am On Jan 04, 2018
LionDeLeo:

Sis, I understand where 3rd qtr falls in the calendar, but you don't understand my question.

My question is; why 3rd quarter, despite the expeditious action expected of the committee to review the pay issue and with the promise of paying the reviewed pay with effect from Jan 2018?

I understand you too, I'm just trying to lay more emphasis on how toothless they are. Why that far when the committee has promised payment with effect from January?

NLC has proven beyond measure that they're merely toothless dog!
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by LionDeLeo: 11:36am On Jan 04, 2018
greatgod2012:

I understand you too, I'm just trying to lay more emphasis on how toothless they are. Why that far when the committee has promised payment with effect from January?

NLC has proven beyond measure that they're merely toothless dog!
They are not even dogs any longer. They are more of politicians than activists. undecided
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by greatgod2012(f): 11:44am On Jan 04, 2018
LionDeLeo:

They are not even dogs any longer. They are more of politicians than activists. undecided

Lol.....
I can't agree less!
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by iluvdonjazzy: 12:59pm On Jan 04, 2018
Ahmed0336:
honestly I give up on this govt and NLC, TUC, ULC, what 3rd quarter, that's end of the year na.
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by predear(m): 1:31pm On Jan 04, 2018
This government is insensitive to labour plight.
Re: Labour Issues Ultimatum On New Minimum Wage by vinnex: 1:41pm On Jan 04, 2018
LionDeLeo:
Even me, I don't understand.
That is Sept. To Dec.. 2018..

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Okorocha Kick-Starts Buhari Reelection Campaign (Pics) / Nigeria Is Becoming A Theater Of War - Senator Shehu Sani / Photo Of JAMB Worker Suspended As Spiritual Snake Swallows N36million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.