Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,989 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit (37714 Views)

Can Someone Withdraw Money From Fixed Deposit Before Maturity? / CBN Crashes Treasury Bills Rates To Single Digits / CBN To Sell N252bn Treasury Bills Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by poseidon12: 10:12am On Jan 07, 2018
ecolime:

Wrong.

12% on 1M for 365 days is N120k.

12% on 1M for 180 days is N60k

12% on 1M for 90 days is N30k

Doesn't make sense IMHO. I would rather invest the money in a good business than tie it down in the bank or cbn.

Good business like which one? Business is very risky. The TB investment is guaranteed.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ruggedsoul(m): 10:13am On Jan 07, 2018
Treasury Bill is d best
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by FrenchWay: 10:14am On Jan 07, 2018
nickxtra:
How will the be preserved till August?
Very easy... You empty the wholebags and put what we call bomb. Reseal it and repeat like after some tym. Months.
Its good investment.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by FrenchWay: 10:16am On Jan 07, 2018
WisdomEfe:

What about storage cost and the risk that they will get spoilt by pest, moisture etc.
please answer
Such risk is very small and minimal.
U can sacrifice a room.
For the peat, its very easy to ta kle. There are chemicals to buy and mix the beans with. after which u reseal. The chemicals are potent for some months after which the beans can be. Consumed
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by STARGREEN(m): 10:17am On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Tbills is fix deposit with cbn while the other is with your Bank. Another diff is that tbills Starts from 1m and above while fd is 100k. Tbills has to be either 3months 6months and 1yr while fd is from 1month. Tbills rate is same irrespective of the amount its the tenor that determines the rate while fd ia amount that determines the rate. Fd pays your interest at maturity while tbills pays upfront these are the major diff
Boss. Seems you omitted much. TB has even 7days maturity. You can invest as low as 10k. The rate is not fixed.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by fesdo(m): 10:29am On Jan 07, 2018
Beress:

Based on this, it means N1m TB will give u N480k in one year... I think is cool sha

Nna mehn you no do the maths well ooo
At 12%, you will get a little below 112k per year ooo not 480k
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by iamDjSkukie(m): 10:35am On Jan 07, 2018
ladyF:
I can't even use my money to do any of the above. angry I'd rather use it to buy bitcoin when it dips. Bitcoin is bae!

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin
tell me more about it, i'm interested
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by nickxtra(m): 10:37am On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:

Very easy... You empty the wholebags and put what we call bomb. Reseal it and repeat like after some tym. Months.
Its good investment.
Bomb? The rat/insect killer?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by poseidon12: 10:39am On Jan 07, 2018
Reference:
Treasury Bills mean you get richer while Nigeria gets poorer. Fixed deposits mean banks get richer while you get poorer.

Interesting definition there.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ibinaboonline: 10:42am On Jan 07, 2018
ladyF:
I can't even use my money to do any of the above. angry I'd rather use it to buy bitcoin when it dips. Bitcoin is bae!

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin
You'd be making a gamble or taking risks by investing in cryptocurrencies but TB or FD is a solid investment though, of course, the yield is lower than what is obtainable from stuff like bitcoin
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by DadR: 10:48am On Jan 07, 2018
Not at all. It's 12% per annum and not flat.

Beress:

Based on this, it means N1m TB will give u N480k in one year... I think is cool sha
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by mailingdgreat: 10:49am On Jan 07, 2018
12345baba:
No difference. Only difference is just the different names. But both are set up to reap us off. Tell your cousin to go open poultry
because u succeeded in poultry business does not mean every other investments are trash. Try to be more open and respectful to other people's opinion. Besides, what may work well for you might not even succeed for others.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by BiafraIShere(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2018
Beress:

The formula you used in your calculation is wrong. 1m TB at 12% will give you a maximum of about 140k plus annually. Remember it is multiplied by 12 & divided by the number of months/tenor I.e. 90 days, 180 days and 365 days respectively. Regardless, T.bills is about the best way of saving money, it's interest rate is usually above inflation rate which means that your money never loses value unlike Fixed deposit. FD sucks! Also, the minimum amount you can invest in T.bills is 100k and it's almost 100% safe unlike FD that will be lost if peradventure the bank folds up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ibinaboonline: 10:55am On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Tbills is fix deposit with cbn while the other is with your Bank. Another diff is that tbills Starts from 1m and above while fd is 100k. Tbills has to be either 3months 6months and 1yr while fd is from 1month. Tbills rate is same irrespective of the amount its the tenor that determines the rate while fd ia amount that determines the rate. Fd pays your interest at maturity while tbills pays upfront these are the major diff
Yours is the best answer. Now, since the interest rate of the TB is 12% and the minimum tenure is 3 months. Does this mean an investor earns 12% each month of the 3,6 or 12 month tenure? For example, 12% of 1000000 is 120k. Would a three month investment now be 120k times 3?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by DadR: 10:57am On Jan 07, 2018
Primary market Tbills can also be rediscounted. It's not compulsory you hold till maturity. However, you may tend to loose more than the interest you've been paid.

AceVentura:

Tenor of TBills only in the primary market must be complete but not so in the secondary market.

Currently, interest rate/ yields in fixed deposits is higher than the TBills because the government isn't pushing for funds. We're in a new financial/ budget year thus the low interest rates on TBills.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by BiafraIShere(m): 11:02am On Jan 07, 2018
STARGREEN:

Boss. Seems you omitted much. TB has even 7days maturity. You can invest as low as 10k. The rate is not fixed.
That's not true, T.B has a minimum of 90 days tenor, others are 180 days and 360 days. Also, the minimum amount you can invest is 100k. I know these because I've been investing in T.bills with different banks for donkey years!
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ibinaboonline: 11:02am On Jan 07, 2018
Chai. This is very good thread and I've learned something good today. People invested this kind of capital in mmm. Unbelievable

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by DadR: 11:04am On Jan 07, 2018
The 12% is calculated per annum and paid over the tenor.

ibinaboonline:
Yours is the best answer. Now, since the interest rate of the TB is 12% and the minimum tenure is 3 months. Does this mean an investor earns 12% each month of the 3,6 or 12 month tenure? For example, 12% of 1000000 is 120k. Would a three month investment now be 120k times 3?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by emynem05(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2018
Don't even know how some people take pass for school.
Someone will take time to explain another will come and confuse everybody again
12% is fixed
The duration can be 3,6, 12 months
For 3months it is 12%x 1m x 1
For 6months it's 12% x1m x 2 (2 because it's 2 quarters I.e 3 and 3=6)
For 12months it's 12% x1m x 4 (4 quarters makes 12 months)
If you no understand this one then u need to go back to nursery school

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by vitality22(m): 11:07am On Jan 07, 2018
iamDjSkukie:
tell me more about it, i'm interested
Bros, put in your money into bitcoin (Usitech) and go to bed with your returns daily into your wallet. One bitcoin is over $16,000 US dollars as at this morning. Send me a whatsapp message on 08099663004 with your name, you will be added to the whatsapp group. When you become convinced, you can then become a partner and invest and watch your money grow daily for 5 days a week.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by DadR: 11:07am On Jan 07, 2018
He's actually right. Tbills can have maturity of 7 days, this can only be gotten from the secondary market though. Primary market tenors are fixed, i.e. 91, 182 and 364 days.

BiafraIShere:
That's not true, T.B has a minimum of 90 days tenor, others are 180 days and 360 days. Also, the minimum amount you can invest is 100k. I know these because I've been investing in T.bills with different banks for donkey years!
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by jobsat34(m): 11:23am On Jan 07, 2018
pol23:
TB is no long time ooo...
Mine in Diamond bank is for 90 days.
12%.
FD is sh*t

That 12% is annual rate ooo
Ur 90 days interest will be Principal amt * 12% * 90 divided by 365
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by ibinaboonline: 11:24am On Jan 07, 2018
DadR:
The 12% is calculated per annum and paid over the tenor.

ok. Well, that's still good considering an investor would be earning a total of 480k in a year
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by aspirebig: 11:28am On Jan 07, 2018
Can someone throw more light on Mutual fund and these two?

A lot of people are saying that the interest rate is low but in business, the lower the risk the lower the returns and vice versa.

All of you saying ..go for bitcoin..who is regulating the bitcoin market? What happens if the money in bitcoin disappears?

I want an investment with a guaranteed capital and returns and not one high returns investment that investment will disappear with...just like all these #ponzi. .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by janga(m): 11:38am On Jan 07, 2018
well if someone invest 20,000000 in TB for a 90days tenure, then what will be the interest�
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Tex42(m): 11:41am On Jan 07, 2018
henryomez:
Thanks for the explanation.

Have this question for u.

Assuming I want to invest #1m for a period of 3months, what will be the interest accrued to me.

Secondly, can I withdraw the #1m I invested at will?

Also, how can invest in the treasury bill.

Note: emphasis is on treasury bill.

Thanks!
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by obatoro: 11:41am On Jan 07, 2018
Fixed deposit is glorified savings account. Treasury bills pay higher interest than FD. You can liquidate both at any time but you will be charged some fees.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 07, 2018
FrenchWay:
I rather use my money to buy 200 bags of beans from Niger.
Resell in August with almost 100% interest

U have knowledge about beans business?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 07, 2018
My kinda topic.
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 07, 2018
vitality22:

Bros, put in your money into bitcoin (Usitech) and go to bed with your returns daily into your wallet. One bitcoin is over $16,000 US dollars as at this morning. Send me a whatsapp message on 08099663004 with your name, you will be added to the whatsapp group. When you become convinced, you can then become a partner and invest and watch your money grow daily for 5 days a week.

You are selling one btc and above?
Re: What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit by jobsat34(m): 11:52am On Jan 07, 2018
emynem05:
Don't even know how some people take pass for school.
Someone will take time to explain another will come and confuse everybody again
12% is fixed
The duration can be 3,6, 12 months
For 3months it is 12%x 1m x 1
For 6months it's 12% x1m x 2 (2 because it's 2 quarters I.e 3 and 3=6)
For 12months it's 12% x1m x 4 (4 quarters makes 12 months)
If you no understand this one then u need to go back to nursery school

12% rate is annual
Ur tenor determines how to pro-rata..
90days tenor will be rate multiply by 90/365
Same thing for 180days tenor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures) / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring / Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.