Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,558 members, 7,958,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:04 PM

Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. (664 Views)

APC Woman Leader In Lagos West Allegedly Caught With Election Materials / South Africa Says Her Soldiers Are Playing A Major Role Against Boko Haram. Lol / South Africa Says 67 Of Her Citizens Killed In Nigeria Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by trueword: 6:56am On Apr 10, 2010
Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.S.
From Laolu Akande, New York and Wole Shadare (Lagos)

AT last, Nigeria, which was excluded from the list of bilateral meetings that (U.S) President Barack Obama will be holding next week, has made a comeback. The White House has confirmed that a "courtesy call" has been scheduled for Acting President Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow afternoon with Obama. It described Jonathan as a critical leader in Africa.

The confirmation came yesterday afternoon during a White House senior official press briefing addressed by Gary Samore, Senior Advisor to the President and Senior Director for Non-Proliferation of Arms and Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications.

Rhodes said Obama, who is hosting the Nuclear Security on Monday and Tuesday in Washington DC, would begin holding bilateral meetings on Sunday and wrap up the one-on-one presidential chats with Jonathan at the Blair House adjacent to the White House.

Although informed sources had hinted that Obama and Jonathan would meet, White House announcement of the talks did not include Nigeria until yesterday's briefing.

On the same Sunday that the two leaders will meet, Obama will also consult with the Presidents of India, Pakistan, South Africa and the Prime Minister of Pakistan.

In describing the Obama-Jonathan meeting, Rhodes said it is "a courtesy call" where both presidents will discuss "several issues," without being specific. He added that the leaders would focus on American-Nigerian partnership, as Jonathan is a "critical leader in Africa."

On Monday, Jonathan will participate in a welcome ceremony for the Nuclear Summit for which Obama has invited 50 world leaders including the Acting President.

In all, the White House said, there will be 38 presidents, prime ministers, and kings at the summit to be held at the Washington DC Convention Centre. There will also be nine deputy prime ministers, vice presidents and ministers. The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), the head of the European Union and Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, (IAEA), will also participate.

At the end of the summit on Tuesday afternoon, Obama will address a press conference detailing the communiqué of the summit.

The Obama administration has explained that it is keen on addressing threats to US and global peace, which nuclear weapons portend, using the summit the largest gathering of world leaders to discuss the nuclear threat and find common ways to controlling nuclear weapons.

By granting Jonathan a courtesy call, it is believed that Obama and the US government are sending positive signals to Nigeria that the Jonathan presidency enjoys Washington support.

Countries participating in the summit include Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Switzerland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, Ukraine, and Vietnam."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced yesterday he would not attend for fear Arab representatives at the meet would use the platform to raise issues about Israeli undeclared nuclear weaponry.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Alhaji Yayale Ahmed has said that the signing of the bilateral agreement between Nigeria and US would

reinforce mutual respect between the two nations.

He told journalists at the Presidential Wing of the Murtala Mohammed Airport (MMA), Lagos yesterday on his return the US, that the agreement specifically focused on improvement of energy and investments, adding that the US government encourages private sector to invest in Nigeria.

The SGF further stated that with a vibrant mass media in the country, the electoral reform, which is under processing would be concluded before the 2011 general elections, assured that there would be a significant changes in the conduct of electorate and politicians before the elections.

He said: "The specific benefit of the agreement will reinforce mutual respect between Nigeria and the United State of America and identifying faulty areas whereby we will continuously review them for the purpose of making sure that we do everything correctly.

"There are specific sections on energy and investment and the American government is encouraging the private sector there to and invest in Nigeria . We have existing bilateral relationships and agreements with them, which we are honouring. And they also depend on us on peace-keeping internationally. The US also mentioned during my visit that Nigeria is highly respected its peacekeeping efforts in the continent.

"And in the area of electoral reforms, we know we are doing that. We have a vibrant press like yourself, which will tell us where we are wrong and where we are right. And indeed the electoral reform is on course, before the 2011 election, we will see significant changes in terms of conducting ourselves."

A ceremony inaugurating the Nigeria-U.S. Bi-National Commission (BNC) took place on Tuesday at the State Department of State in Washington D.C.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01/100410?pdate=100410&ptitle=Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.S.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by safeact(m): 7:35am On Apr 10, 2010
I cough.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by DrKnow1(m): 9:34am On Apr 10, 2010
^^^^^^
May the cough persist grin
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by 4peace(m): 11:28am On Apr 10, 2010
proudly naija
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by sjeezy8: 5:01pm On Apr 10, 2010
hahah lmfao- months ago they said Nigeria is losing its importance in the world.
Now jonathan is "Critical Leader In Africa"

"There are specific sections on energy and investment and the American government is encouraging the private sector there to and invest in Nigeria . We have existing bilateral relationships and agreements with them, which we are honouring.

lol thats yankee
Critical leader= Nigeria important to American economy.

Goodluck should represent well because if he has the backing of US he can surely become presido in 2011.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by violent(m): 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2010
sjeezy8:

hahah lmfao- months ago they said Nigeria is losing its importance in the world.
Now jonathan is "Critical Leader In Africa"

"There are specific sections on energy and investment and the American government is encouraging the private sector there to and invest in Nigeria . We have existing bilateral relationships and agreements with them, which we are honouring.

lol thats yankee
Critical leader= Nigeria important to American economy.

Goodluck should represent well because[b] if he has the backing of US he can surely become presido in 2011[/b].

and how is that going to happen? Last time i checked, obama doesn't have a right to vote in Nigeria
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by sjeezy8: 5:24pm On Apr 10, 2010
^^^ Obama doesnt need the vote in Nigeria, would goodluck have become acting presido without the backing of the US? I thinks not.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Eddeux(m): 5:34pm On Apr 10, 2010
and how is that going to happen?  Last time i checked, obama doesn't have a right to vote in Nigeria
you'd be surprised at what we can do. I wouldn't be surprised if the US govt moved Africom's headquarters from Germany to Nigeria in a few years--if Jonathan wins 2011 elections that is. it's great that Obama believes Jonathan is a crtical African leader, since they do call Nigeria the giant of africa, but I fear or know for a fact that the US govt is just looking to support Jonathan b/c the chances of him becoming one of their puppets is far greater. watch out Nigeria, don't go down Japan's path! pressured into accepting everything the US govt throws at you.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Apr 10, 2010
To the Us, Nigeria is a critical ally and so the leader is a critical leader. Same applied when Yar adua was there, and their eyes are on Jonathan now, even though Yar adua can still come back tommorow to take over.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by honeric01(m): 6:45pm On Apr 10, 2010
Eddeux:

you'd be surprised at what we can do. I wouldn't be surprised if the US govt moved Africom's headquarters from Germany to Nigeria in a few years--if Jonathan wins 2011 elections that is. it's great that Obama believes Jonathan is a crtical African leader, since they do call Nigeria the giant of africa, but I fear or know for a fact that the US govt is just looking to support Jonathan b/c the chances of him becoming one of their puppets is far greater. watch out Nigeria, don't go down Japan's path! pressured into accepting everything the US govt throws at you.

That i am pretty critical of.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by sjeezy8: 6:45pm On Apr 10, 2010
lol jonathan is already one of their puppets
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by honeric01(m): 7:16pm On Apr 10, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol jonathan is already one of their puppets

Well i don't want a puppet as my president, i prefer someone as stubborn as Mugabe, but not as ''undiplomatic as he is.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Nigerd(m): 7:32pm On Apr 10, 2010
@ Topic

Praise God
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by DAVE5(m): 12:12am On Apr 11, 2010
@topic how does that change things,people r still sufferin n would continue 2 suffer
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Eddeux(m): 12:17am On Apr 11, 2010
Well i don't want a puppet as my president, i prefer someone as stubborn as Mugabe, but not as ''undiplomatic as he is.
wen jiabao? he had the balls to disrespect Obama at the UN Climate Change Conference n december, and he's diplomatic too, in a commie kinda way shocked
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by oyinda3(f): 12:32am On Apr 11, 2010
"critical leader" can mean something positive or negative. as long as u realize that the US is looking after its own interest. jonathan then may be critical or important to US interest in Africa.

Besides I really don't trust US in terms of national relations right now. One minute they're reprimanding and ignoring us, next minute they want something from us and want to talk.  undecided
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Eddeux(m): 1:09am On Apr 11, 2010
Besides I really don't trust US in terms of national relations right now. One minute they're reprimanding and ignoring us, next minute they want something from us and want to talk. 

that sounds like something a neglected wife would say   grin
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by oyinda3(f): 3:35am On Apr 11, 2010
Eddeux:

that sounds like something a neglected wife would say   grin

hahaha abi o. na so i see am too but nothing we can do about it. lol
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by EzeUche(m): 4:46am On Apr 11, 2010
Becoming like Japan does not sound too bad to me. grin

Have you ever been to Japan? That country is highly advanced. Only the pacifist Constitution is holding them back, but if Nigeria becomes like Japan, then I will not have any problem with that.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by mbulela: 4:56am On Apr 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

To the Us, Nigeria is a critical ally and so the leader is a critical leader. Same applied when Yar adua was there, and their eyes are on Jonathan now, even though Yar adua can still come back tommorow to take over.

I think we are exagerrating the importance of Nigeria in the comity of nations.
Our importance is because we have oil.
if we cease to exist, they will buy oil elsewhere.
if the middle east was stable, america will not give a hoot about us.
If we choose to burn,like weare doing, there is very little america can do about it.
As it is, Obama has more pressing issues on his hand.
He will flex a little muscle as it concerns Naija but it is not as critical an issue as Nigerians are making it out.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Apr 11, 2010
It is not my intent to exaggerate the importance of Nigeria. The country is important when it comes to US relationships in Africa as a whole. Not just for Oil but as an ally in the continent.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by mbulela: 1:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It is not my intent to exaggerate the importance of Nigeria. The country is important when it comes to US relationships in Africa as a whole. Not just for Oil but as an ally in the continent.

An ally that can be done without,if need be.
In the absence of a stable Nigeria, America will find away around establishing its interests in the continent.
the realignment of forces will not be difficult at all.
Re: Jonathan Is A Critical Leader In Africa, Says U.s. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
Let them not 'over stroke ' his ego, you know how power hungry Africans can get after a while.

For now he is doing a good Job, lets get on with the job of building the nation.

So far so good though !

(1) (Reply)

Devil Is Tempting Us In Pdp - Ogbulafor / Fg Okays N10bn For Second Niger Bridge / How we rig elections, reveals former C' River State governor, Donald Duke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.