Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:26 AM

The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe (929 Views)

I Disagree With Chinua Achebe, The Trouble With Nigeria Is Not Politicians, But / Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) / Politicians Conjure Power With Vulture Eggs To Win Votes; Egg Costs N1m - N2m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by kettykings: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2018
while going through the classical works of this great African who is the greatest prophet that Africa will ever produce , i came across this piece which meant that Achebe Knew About the Nigerian Vultures years before some of us encountered them.

Please if you have time , read how the leopard got its claws for you to understand what id happening in the Middle belt and what the igbos must do now.

Enjoy !!!

Vulure , A Poem by Chinua Achebe
In the greyness
and drizzle of one despondent
dawn unstirred by harbingers
of sunbreak a vulture
perching high on
bones of a dead tree
nestled close to his
mate his smooth
bashed-in head, a pebble
on a stem rooted in
a dump of gross
feathers, inclined affectionately
to hers. Yesterday they picked
the eyes of a swollen
corpse in a water-logged
trench and ate the
things in its bowel. Full gorged they chose their roost
keeping the hollowed remnant in easy range of cold
telescopic eyes...

Strange
indeed how love in other
ways so particular
will pick a corner
in that charnel-house
tidy it and coil up there, perhaps
even fall asleep - her face
turned to the wall!

Thus the Commandant at Belsen
Camp going home for
the day with fumes of
human roast clinging
rebelliously to his hairy
nostrils will stop
at the wayside sweet-shop
and pick up a chocolate
for his tender offspring
waiting at home for Daddy's
return...

Praise bounteous
providence if you will
that grants even an ogre
a tiny glow-worm
tenderness encapsulated
in icy caverns of a cruel
heart or else despair
for in the very germ
of that kindred love is
lodged the perpetuity
of evil.
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2018
kettykings:
while going through the classical works of this great African who is the greatest prophet that Africa will ever produce , i came across this piece which meant that Achebe Knew About the Nigerian Vultures years before some of us encountered them.

Please if you have time , read how the leopard got its claws for you to understand what id happening in the Middle belt and what the igbos must do now.

Enjoy !!!

Vulure , A Poem by Chinua Achebe
In the greyness
and drizzle of one despondent
dawn unstirred by harbingers
of sunbreak a vulture
perching high on
bones of a dead tree
nestled close to his
mate his smooth
bashed-in head, a pebble
on a stem rooted in
a dump of gross
feathers, inclined affectionately
to hers. Yesterday they picked
the eyes of a swollen
corpse in a water-logged
trench and ate the
things in its bowel. Full gorged they chose their roost
keeping the hollowed remnant in easy range of cold
telescopic eyes...

Strange
indeed how love in other
ways so particular
will pick a corner
in that charnel-house
tidy it and coil up there, perhaps
even fall asleep - her face
turned to the wall!

Thus the Commandant at Belsen
Camp going home for
the day with fumes of
human roast clinging
rebelliously to his hairy
nostrils will stop
at the wayside sweet-shop
and pick up a chocolate
for his tender offspring
waiting at home for Daddy's
return...

Praise bounteous
providence if you will
that grants even an ogre
a tiny glow-worm
tenderness encapsulated
in icy caverns of a cruel
heart or else despair
for in the very germ
of that kindred love is
lodged the perpetuity
of evil.
lovely..tenderness in the most depraved circumstance.i won't lie I read it thrice
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by alexlife(m): 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2018
waooooo.. what a wonderful piece.

hihihihi... I no read am
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by chymes0359(m): 5:28pm On Jan 12, 2018

I read this poem more than three times with a dictionary in my hands.
I understand each words, but can't comprehend the literal Message its trying to pass...

No forming!
I need help..

Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by nnachukz(m): 5:45pm On Jan 12, 2018
Today the fumes of roasted human beings across all part of the country still cling to our nostrils as we retire home in utmost helplessness.

In the sky (Aso Rock), the vultures (Sarrki and Co) have gathered not perching anymore but descending to make merriment with our predicaments.
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by kettykings: 8:22pm On Aug 21
This people is not about vultures
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by fkelly(m): 6:26am On Aug 22
Literature is far harder than mathematics. Am telling u from an engineering point of view.
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by helinues: 7:12am On Aug 22
Direct description of how some people have been playing their own politics

8 Likes

Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by AFONJAmiracle: 7:13am On Aug 22
helinues:

Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by tishbite42: 7:59am On Aug 22
Achebe, the poetical prophet
Man was light years ahead of his time
Re: The Vulture ; A Political Poem By Chinua Achebe by Lindlady(f): 10:36am On Aug 22
helinues:
What type of politics do you play?

(1) (Reply)

Former Minister Of Labour Barrister Emeka Wogu Spotted Buying Fuel In NigerState / Atiku Abubakar Finally Revealed How He Started His Business / PHOTO: Kwankwaso Awarded Honorary Doctorate Degree At Tansian University,anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.