Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,428 members, 7,954,671 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:41 AM

Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) (22933 Views)

80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report / Free Online Course To Boost Your Communication Skill / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by lexy2014: 1:45pm On Jan 15, 2018
nairavsdollars:
Buy Brighter Grammar Books 1 to 4
I don't think English grammar is his problem at least his write up is OK. I think he just has a problem communicating orally in public with "big people". Self esteem issues I guess

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by vanhelsing1(m): 1:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:
Good day my fellow nairalander, my name is Adewunmi, an OND holder, currently doing my internship here in NNPC DEPOT, Lagos. i am fortunate to be working in the Depot manager's office as the assistant secretary but the issue i'm having here is i don't know how to express myself so well when i'm with my DM or staff that comes around to see the DM. i feel i should be eloquent and bold with speaking to my DM but i feel so shy and less courage when speaking with her. please your advice.
am surprised to.hear dis from u.u sed u.don't kw how to express urself.
pls how do u really min?is it dat u.dont speak simple english or u dont have d boldness to Comunicate wel?plsss reply ...I wil offer u simple n reasonable suggestions to.help u.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by lexy2014: 1:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
Simplep:
Easier said dan done my dear,i have d same problem with d op and i dnt tink i can change because dats jst who we are..i have realy tried to change but my tongue still gt stuck if i wanna talk to people dat are nt my family member...
that's y d guy said it is a gradual process.it won't change in a day but u just have 2 keep on trying. First, work on how u c urself. If u keep holding unto those mental limitations in ur head, u won't make progress. D reason ur tongue gets stuck is fear, low self esteem. D battle field is in d mind. That's were u have 2 start

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by akaahs(m): 1:57pm On Jan 15, 2018
Ramanto:
But you write well. It's confidence you need.

That your "staff" should be followed by a plural verb.
Master man staff don't have plural as u think

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by micflo28(m): 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2018
It is symptoptic you are addicted to your gadgets and other things that have ruined your social life. I stand to be corrected, you talk less around friends and associate with people less often. Break the cocoon of that addiction and speak out more around friends, that way, you begin express yourself better in a formal environment. Your write up is good. I see no fix in your grammar that needs to be fixed. Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by SirLakes: 2:04pm On Jan 15, 2018
Nawtiblayse:

your brain needs cough syrup
LMAO grin
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by defemidefemi(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2018
I will recommend what u av said to him, in addition the OP should do his best to look at the face of the people when he's engaging them, fake your boldness only you will know..lol And always dress good at all time, your appearance may affect your boldness.

darkid1:
speaking slowly is usually the best. That way you are confident enough to know you have thought your statements through before they escape your lips. Hence, you are confident to say more.

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by tayokem(m): 2:25pm On Jan 15, 2018
Buy English books andread from page 1 to the end
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by IYANGBALI: 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2018
Stop worrying yourself unnecessarily, English is not your language, so you have the right to murder it. Who English epp?
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by musiliudee(m): 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
[quote author=lavenjcrown post=64213349]Good day my fellow nairalander, my name is Adewunmi, an OND holder, currently doing my internship here in NNPC DEPOT, Lagos. i am fortunate to be working in the Depot manager's office as the assistant secretary but the issue i'm having here is i don't know how to express myself so well when i'm with my DM ospeaking with her. please your
Mhmmmmmmmmmm.....this is really touching,the samething also happening to me.i'm good at writing than speaking perhabs
My dialect affects that.secondly how do we conquer low self esteem.tnks
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lilymatty(f): 2:42pm On Jan 15, 2018
U can watch some american movies it will help too, esp subtitled ones
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by tayooluwole: 2:44pm On Jan 15, 2018
Simplep:
Easier said dan done my dear,i have d same problem with d op and i dnt tink i can change because dats jst who we are..i have realy tried to change but my tongue still gt stuck if i wanna talk to people dat are nt my family member...

Well, I also share the same problem with op... I have been battling with shyness and inferiority complex right from my university days... At a time, I acknowledged it as a problem and I decided on what to do. Firstly, I started learning vocabulary, I became a prolific vocabulary discharger that almost equated me to PATRICK OBIAGBON. So, when outside, I talk confidently knowing fully well that the people I am talking to can never be a grammar addict as I do. It all worked when talking in the mist of my friends and people of lesser status. But when facing a large crowd of intellectuals, omo come they see bad construction of sentences because of fear of failure... Though, I am still battling with the shyness and inferiority complex but definetly I have improved significantly

4 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by musiliudee(m): 2:46pm On Jan 15, 2018
I know wot this guy is facing cos I feel the same way too.My own prob is, to speak fluently is whalaa,even if I intend to speak slowly my voice wl be shaky except infront of girls I become good speaker..
How do we conquer low self esteem
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by musiliudee(m): 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
tayooluwole:

Well, I also share the same problem with op... I have been battling with shyness and inferiority complex right from my university days... At a time, I acknowledged it as a problem and I decided on what to do. Firstly, I started learning vocabulary, I became a prolific vocabulary discharger that almost equated me to PATRICK OBIAGBON. So, when outside, I talk confidently knowing fully well that the people I am talking to can never
be a grammar addict as I do. It all worked when talking in the mist of my friends and people of lesser status. But when facing a large crowd of intellectuals, omo come they see bad construction of sentences because of fear of failure... Though, I am still battling with the shyness and inferiority complex but definetly I have improved significantly
d sametin happenin to me
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nedfed(m): 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
Stop watching Jennifer diary
Funke Akindele don destroyed many soul and mind with her grammer.

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 15, 2018
I have once been in ur shoes...
When asked questions u r suppose to ans you jst get lost 4 words to say?

Not that you are bad in English but when speaking you make un necessary grammatical errors

When asked to do easy task under supervision u shiver or make mistake which wouldn't have happened when doing it alone. at time u don't feel ursef cos of d pressure within. u jst do thing rashly as dey come dereby not really doing it well?

You Stammer when communicating with ur superiors.

All this prevent u from doing what you think you can actually do?

if u answer to dis questions is yes... then I will recommend d ways I overcame my shyness and low esteem, lack of composure, inferiority complex and other complex which r d symptoms of dis.

What I do to overcome my sluggishness in speaking it might seem crazy but I tell u it will in d long run help ur articulation.

1. I listen to d voice of very proficient speaker of English and try to mimic d way he speaks(in do dis in my privacy tho) I will ensure I stress d words and so on.
2. I downloaded videos articulation how to be an articulate speaker from YouTube. There r some drill u will have 2 undergo like rolling u tongue, lips stressing words etc

3. I exposed mysef... I began to speak to my superiors even tho at time I make mistakes I wasn't bothered. I kept on doing dis. did u know mistakes are prove u r trying.
4.I always ensure I maintain I contact when speaking.

5. At times someone will talk almost loud but u won't hear? dis is actually because of pressure in u. you can learn to decrease d pressure in u by watching videos on how to be composed on YouTube.

6. Read books even outside ur discipline and always check meaning of easy words...

PRACTISE MAKE PERFECTION.
AT TIMES YOU MIGHT TRY SOMETGING N IT WILL SEEM IT NOT WORKING OUT. THAT'S NOT TRUE JST COS U R NOT THERE YET DOESN'T MEAN U WILL NEVER B THERE. YOU MIGHT NOT BE THERE YET BUT U R CLOSER THAN U WERE YESTERDAY

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Ogunleti01: 2:57pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:
Good day my fellow nairalander, my name is Adewunmi, an OND holder, currently doing my internship here in NNPC DEPOT, Lagos. i am fortunate to be working in the Depot manager's office as the assistant secretary but the issue i'm having here is i don't know how to express myself so well when i'm with my DM or staff that comes around to see the DM. i feel i should be eloquent and bold with speaking to my DM but i feel so shy and less courage when speaking with her. please your advice.
The embarrassment one of my senior colleagues got from one our lecturers then in the university pushed me to buckle up as regards my spoken English. I am a product of public primary as well as secondary school so speaking English was like a taboo.My first year in the university was like hell. I couldn't relate well with my peers both at hostel and in the class. I turned down every request to represent the class and even in the fellowship. But I experienced a turnaround when I was searching for a book out of hundreds of books my mother used during her modern school days- Brighter Grammar 1 &2. The little I can speak and write today was aided by that book. Pls endeavour to get them.

2 Likes

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by lavenjcrown(m): 3:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
boldness to communicate well and how to speak simple english.
vanhelsing1:

am surprised to.hear dis from u.u sed u.don't kw how to express urself.
pls how do u really min?is it dat u.dont speak simple english or u dont have d boldness to Comunicate wel?plsss reply ...I wil offer u simple n reasonable suggestions to.help u.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by kripen(m): 4:11pm On Jan 15, 2018
Chuknovski:
read more of newspapers, novels watch English movies like lord of the rings, sheakspear, etc

In addition to this cartoon movies will help.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Geofavor(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2018
tartar9:
Seeing therapist? for naija grin
grin..
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Mariangeles(f): 4:25pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:
Watch more educative programmes on television and always take note on how they pronounce words, it's easier that way... before you know it, you're speaking perfect English confidently
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Geofavor(m): 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:
boldness to communicate well and how to speak simple english.
I was in your shoes 2, 3 years back. The first thing you should do is attempt perfecting your English. Get A-z in JAMB's use of English or the invisible teacher, both by dele asade. Study it and act as if you were preparing to take JAMB's use of English. A lot of the errors the average Nigerian makes when speaking has been uncovered in these books.

Next, attempt writing impeccably. Your writing will consequently influence your speaking. Learn how to punctuate correctly, etc. Google is your friend. Just continue learning.

After a while, the words will start flowing out naturally and smoothly when you try speaking,whether you're nervous or not. By now though, your confidence level would have increased.

Furthermore, read articles on confidence and put the tips to practice. You may try wikihow dot com; they've got great write-ups. You can also check out this site: 2knowmyself dot com. There, you' can learn some nonverbal communication and body language tips in general....

Good luck.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by chieni(f): 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2018
I would advise that:
1. you could rehearse what you want to say before talking to your boss
2. read novels or books in general and take note of the grammar ( everyday grammar you use when relating with people). Do not just read for the story alone.
3. imagine yourself as an actor, just tell yourself when you have to talk to visitors in the office, "I am an actor and I have to play my role while it lasts"
I hope you become good at it with time.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by americaninja1: 4:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
kokomaster3d:
Drink 3 Bottles of Origin everyday before going to work. You will thank me later. Funny enough, that was how I overcame lack of confidence. At a point I got used to being confident that even without the beer I still maintain my confidence.
na u correct pass
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by mhizsuzzy(f): 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
lavenjcrown:

Sweet heart i understand ur plight....u feel u are not too good for that post may be is a new job or u got promoted and u saw the need to improve better. is very nice dear....
But the truth is that why u are not speaking well d way u want to is because of fear. You are afraid to make mistakes or may be let ur boss not have that feeling that u are incompetent....Before u do those wonderful solution above u have to stop being scared of making mistake....read more....Like for me i am not yet 100% the way i want but close to my bed is a book to write words i really liked the way someone used it and i want to employ them when i speak....Watch movies preferably with subtitles and watch how they speak....abeg english ones no come join nollywood movies add...
Watch online videos if u have mb, love english with ronnie she is more practicable and practise speaking and record ur self while u speak. Speak more of English leave ur dialect for now u will never forget ur mother tongue it is not just part of u it is u...
I was once in that shoes although i have not perfected but i am getting better.

U will get better dear

1 Like

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 15, 2018
bettercreature:
His problem is his mother tongue this is why you shouldnt allow your children to speak local dialect

Yes. you got a point. It is difficult to be fluent with a language one does not use often.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lloydfather(m): 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2018
TheSpellChecker:

I believe the correct term is CRUSHING. grin
big up

Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Dreydoe(m): 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Enrol in a self building and esteem classes...
do ds really esist in ds Nigeria..
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by steryj(m): 6:24pm On Jan 15, 2018
akaahs:

Master man staff don't have plural as u think
You are right. The plural should have been staffers. "Staff" is singular.
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by akaahs(m): 6:31pm On Jan 15, 2018
steryj:
You are right. The plural should have been staffers. "Staff" is singular.
Lol, na wowwa
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by Lexusgs430: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2018
Dreydoe:
do ds really esist in ds Nigeria..

It does, if you think deeper......
Re: Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) by eniorisha(m): 6:45pm On Jan 15, 2018
Funny but true. It boils down to low self esteem. I studied theoretical English Language (English Education) yet I av similar problem as d op.

1) Work on your self esteem

2) Be more friendly & formally jovial

3) Make more friends that will force u to use English more in casual situations. E.g more of educated people from other tribe as yours.

4) Focus on present situations. Do away with all wandering thoughts while using English. (my own communication problem)

5) Insist on Using good English in every situations Your mother tougue is not needed. Don't use Pidgin at all till u gain ground with good English.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / I Was Slapped By My Employer / Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.