Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

How To Choose A Project Topic - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Choose A Project Topic (12076 Views)

Fayemi Celebrates Command Secondary School, A Project He Started 4 Years Ago / What You Must Consider Before You Choose A Course To Study / The Best Website To Download Free Project Topic In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose A Project Topic by HushTee(m): 6:19am On Jan 16, 2018
One of the most challenging tasks in the life of a student is writing a research project writing, be it a thesis or dissertation. But sometimes, choosing a project topic is difficult than writing the project itself …okay, okay, I don’t think writing it is ever easy …lol …but then, imagine how important coming up with a topic can be to your professional career. This moment is directly connected to your future whether you are deciding to dedicate your life to research on a specific field of study, or you have a strong desire to push the envelope in your chosen specialization. It was actually one of the most critical choices of my career, infact, it defined my career as a scientific researcher, and is still charting its course.

Below are tips to help you make the right decision on the topic for your thesis.

1. Go through previous term papers, mini-projects and assignments.
I personally think this should be the first thing to do. Look through the topics of all assignments, term papers, group projects, class projects, and mini-projects that you were directly or indirectly involved at one point or the other in your classes before now.
This will help you identify your areas of interest and specializations, and subsequently, existing gaps you can work towards filling or problems you can find a solution to. When I was to choose my current major specialization in my undergraduate, I realised that I enjoyed a lot of class practical and experiments that has to do with the internal structures of plant, so it was just an easy decision for me to pick Plant Anatomy, and choosing my project topic became less difficult …This brings me to the next point

2. Choose something you are passionate about.
Some supervisors prefer to assign certain topics to their students to explore, others give freedom of choice to their students. So, it may happen so that during your studentship, you have to create various tasks concerning the topics which were not interesting to you. A project is an excellent opportunity to take everything into your own hands, your supervisor might just be give you the freedom. The responsibility is enormous, but it is worth trying.
You may also decide to continue the investigation of one problem you have already encountered. I did this when I was going to pick a topic for my doctorate degree. Because I had worked in a team of four to investigate a problem, expanding the scope of the research to continue the investigation was not too difficult to decide on.

3. Consult your supervisor.
A thesis/dissertation is supposed to be an independent research work, however, you have a supervisor who can help you to handle some difficulties. Choosing a project topic is a serious reason to talk with him/her as well, because he/she is usually able to give you a good counsel concerning this problem and help you to start working.
My own supervisor usually has his own ideas, but gives me space for creative freedom by always asking my ideas, and in the end, we always find a meeting point of our ideas. Usually, after his inputs from his wealth of experience, the beauty of the work to be done is seen even before I start working. This is one great benefit of consulting your supervisor.

4. Analyze literature resources.
In choosing your project topic, another way is to work with resources from literatures, particularly other research and review articles in your field of study. This may seem difficult for a newbie, but shouldn’t be for someone who has studied a number of research articles from journals before the stage of dissertation writing.
This method is one that can help sort out a lot of things at the same time. First is that you can collate resources available on a certain subject of interest, second is that you can collect the reference list at the same time, third is that you acquire more knowledge and exposure in your area of interest, most of all is that you can come up with a working project title. I have come up with a lot of feasible project titles in my head this way, I have a number of friends who have too. And as we went on, these

5. Employ a multidisciplinary approach
This approach to choosing a project topic requires that you have a knowledge of more disciplines than your. You don’t necessarily need the deepest of knowledge of that discipline, and that’s why you have your supervisor and other academic and research personnel to help on your work along the way.
As at the time of writing this, I'm on a research that integrates two disciplines and most of my extracurricular interests. This is a complex approach, but interestingly, I’m comfortable with it. I'd like to think it's easy to get comfortable with a multidisciplinary project topic if it involves your interest.
Employing a multidisciplinary approach be also lead to creating something new, more, you may not have a problem coming up with a novelty contribution to knowledge in this seemingly discovery-bombarded world of research.

These are general and maybe personal recommendations, but I have no doubt they can be efficient in your situation. It applies to all classes of students, be you a Bachelors or Masters or Doctorate.  You may need an integration of more than one approach, and this usually is the case, however, what matters when choosing a project topic is coming up with something that would develop and add value to the society at large.

Please share your thoughts in the comment section below if any of these approaches resonates with you, or if other approaches you think should be included.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by mickeyenglish(m): 7:49am On Jan 16, 2018
Hello! Are you a newbie to Nigerian University education? sad.What you are passionate about?. The one first thing you should do is to consult your supervisor. When I was in OAU,as an English Language student, I picked a project I was passionate about which was "an instance of Power and Ideologies found in selected texts and Speech(s)of Adolf Hitler during the Third Reich"which belongs to the field of Critical discourse analysis, to my surprise, my supervisor did not only vehemently turned me down, but started calling me a rebel and potential killer. I had already put together all known resources of that project line. Before I eventually found a suitable project topic which he liked (of course, it was his picking) he rejected further seven different cool topics. I eventually ended up analysing Nasir el-Rufai's political texts which was utmost boring. One of my friend research topic was even turned down because it was on Obaiagbon of Edo state, who is very well known. Her excuse was that she had never had of that person in her entire life and even asked my friend what the Honourable does for a living. A whole Federal Honourable and one time Edo State Chief of Staff!!?. The problem is that they are just plain lazy and are not willing to do any further research. Thank God I and some of my friends escaped with a narrow B(60 on dot).

So, you see my friend, it's not about what you are passionate about, but what the lecturer/supervisor deems fit to be less stressful and ordinary to suit his own selfish interest .Although,the Institutions always lay emphasis on students to choose project topics which are applicable to the current predicaments of the nation, nevertheless, this should not be applicable to all fields of study afterall the research project is carried out by the students in "partial fulfilment of their Bachelor's degree in..... ".

Conversely,this might not be applicable to all lecturers and institutiond but trust me, majority will give you hell on Earth during your project days in an Institution.

Anyways, you should have included:

1 Consult your supervisor on a unanimous project topic and,

2 Brace for future impacts.

Post No Bill

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by sotall(m): 7:49am On Jan 16, 2018
grin hi
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Africanbest(m): 7:51am On Jan 16, 2018
Go to the school library or department library and collect 5years ago work and change the names

Anyway what do I know

2 Likes

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Angelb4: 7:51am On Jan 16, 2018
The guy ^^^^ above me is a clown I swear

3 Likes

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by heskeyw(m): 7:52am On Jan 16, 2018
simple, go to other schools and collect their own projects. ���������.
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by sunkanmihassan1(m): 7:53am On Jan 16, 2018
A project should be a challenge to the student. An avenue to learn and develop yourself. However, a lot of students have become very lazy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Manson1(m): 7:53am On Jan 16, 2018
dats not how to choose a project topic in Nigeria schools. in Nigeria u go-to the Library look for existing project (s) work then copy and paste everything den u submit. if I lie ask dem nairalanderscheesycheesy

4 Likes

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by iamleumas: 7:53am On Jan 16, 2018
Good
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by BigBrotherNaija(m): 7:54am On Jan 16, 2018
Nice piece.
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by akeentech(m): 7:54am On Jan 16, 2018
Ask your supervisor to give you ten topics and chose the one you like most

READ THIS:

Best 20 Apps That Give You Free Gift Cards For Cash
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by KingsJohnson(m): 7:54am On Jan 16, 2018
Gud evening fellow Nlers, pls we do have a friend dat was posted to Osun State for his one year service to the nation, but due to the fact that Osun falls under one of d dislodged state dis 2018, he is derefore forced to choose within Ondo or Ekiti and he has not been to an of the states and not even know how to find his way to the said states, so behalf of him, we will lyk to know from fellow Nairalanders:

Ondo and Ekiti State NYSC Orientation Camp, which is preferred

How do he find his way to Any if the above named states from Enugu

Which transport company will serve d purpose

Thank you all...
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by emprorbolaji(m): 7:55am On Jan 16, 2018
Educating!
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by pharigoldltd: 7:55am On Jan 16, 2018
Nice one Op.
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Geekamon(m): 7:57am On Jan 16, 2018
grin
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by sunbbo(m): 7:57am On Jan 16, 2018
Good

Apply For Google Africa Phd Fellowship Program 2018 For Phd Student($10,000 Award Per Year)

Nurturing and maintaining strong relations with the academic community is a top priority at Google. The Google Africa PhD Fellowship Program has been created to support and recognize outstanding students pursuing or looking to pursue PhD level studies in computer science and related areas. The Google Africa PhD Fellowship program for 2018 is now open for application until 11:59pm GMT on Friday 19th January 2018. Review the steps below to learn more about how the Fellowship works, eligibility requirements and the application process. 

How the PhD Fellowship works

Successful students receive named Fellowships, which include a $10,000 award per year over 3 years.
The funds are given directly to the university to be distributed to cover the student’s expenses and stipend as appropriate.
The funds are given as an unrestricted gift, and it is Google’s policy not to pay for overhead on unrestricted gifts.
In addition, the student will be matched with a Google Research Mentor who we hope will become a valuable resource to the student.
There is no employee relationship between the student and Google as a result of receiving the fellowship.
Fellowship recipients are not subject to intellectual property restrictions unless they complete an internship at Google.
Fellowship recipients serving an internship are subject to the same intellectual property and other contractual obligations as any other Google intern.

If a Fellowship student is interested, an internship at Google is encouraged, but not guaranteed or required.
Eligibility Criteria

For current PhD Students

.Applicants must be enrolled into a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa. Applicants who are currently in their first year of a part-time
PhD program and transferring to full-time positions are also welcome to apply.
.Students should be early stage PhD students, i.e., should not have been into more than 1 year of their PhD. Applicants for the 2018 Fellowship
must have started their program on or after 1 January 2017.
.Students must remain enrolled in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
.Applicants must be pursuing a PhD in Computer Science or related areas.
.Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible.
.Students who are already receiving another corporate fellowship are not eligible.
.For current Undergraduate/Masters students and Professionals
.Grant of the fellowship to this category of applicants is contingent on them joining a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa within the
calendar year of the award.
.Student applicants must be current full-time Undergraduate or Masters students enrolled at an African university. Professionals must be
employed/affiliated with an organization registered in Africa.
.The Google Fellowship award shall be contingent on the awardee registering for the full-time PhD program of an African university, in
Computer Science or related areas, within the calendar year 2018, or the award shall be forfeited.
.Grant of the Google Fellowship does not mean admission to the PhD program of a university. The awardee must also complete the PhD
admission process of the respective institute/university where he/she wishes to register for a PhD.
.Grant of the Google Fellowship will be subject to the rules and guidelines applicable in the institute/university where the awardee registers for
the PhD program.
.Google employees and family members of Google employees are not eligible.
.Applicants who are already receiving another corporate fellowship are not eligible.

Click Here To Apply for Google Africa PhD Fellowship Program 2018

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2017/11/11/google-africa-phd-fellowship-program-2018/
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by maximunimpact(m): 7:57am On Jan 16, 2018
okay
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by ichommy(m): 8:00am On Jan 16, 2018
Lovely Nuggets. wink
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 16, 2018
Africanbest:
Go to the school library or department library and collect 5years ago work and change the names

Anyway what do I know
Ma nigga grin.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 16, 2018
KingsJohnson:
Gud evening fellow Nlers, pls we do have a friend dat was posted to Osun State for his one year service to the nation, but due to the fact that Osun falls under one of d dislodged state dis 2018, he is derefore forced to choose within Ondo or Ekiti and he has not been to an of the states and not even know how to find his way to the said states, so behalf of him, we will lyk to know from fellow Nairalanders:

Thank you all...
tell your friend to choose Ondo State
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:06am On Jan 16, 2018
As an aspiring researcher/academic, don't just choose a topic based on all of the above alone, also consider these:

Am I solving a problem?
Is the problem I'm solving going to be of benefit to my immediate environment or nation?

Then you should ask yourself:
Have I structured my methods to internationally accepted standards?
Do I have the finances to see this research through?
Can I get the finances to see it through?
How do I get grant/scholarship/fellowship to help in reaching set research outcomes?

Finally, to aspiring PhD students out there ask yourselves these two questions before you choose a supervisor:
Do I know my supervisor very well, behaviour and academic-wise?
Will my supervisor trust me At all times and allow me express myself without intimidating me or feel intimidated?

Thank you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by internationalman(m): 8:07am On Jan 16, 2018
And after all the stress the project will still be dumped in the waste bin at the back of the school.
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by TONYE001(m): 8:07am On Jan 16, 2018
Thank you, OP, for this piece..

However, I must add that your outline omitted the primary reason of any research work. The main purpose of a research is to solve a problem, that is to contribute to existing knowledge.

When one wants to embark on a scientific study, you must first identify an existing problem that you desire to solve; after this, you are to look at existing literature concerning this problem. This would enable you to appreciate the extent previous researchers have gone in solving this problem...and to avail you with a tool for comparison...

Nigerian students must understand that the purpose of every research is to solve an existing problem...and not to raise your CGPA.

It is sad that corruption and malpractice have infiltrated our education. These days, people stay at home and generate false data in the name of research; or, as someone pointed out above, some students may just reprint a previously done work and submit as project. Because of how short-sighted some students/Nigerians are, they care less of the long term implication of this act. They have no idea that in the future, others may use their so-called findings as foundation for their research. We all know what the outcome would be when the foundation is built on lies.

Until we get this right, we cannot grow as a nation...because national growth, of course, is fueled by research.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by KingsJohnson(m): 8:15am On Jan 16, 2018
Oma307:

tell your friend to choose Ondo State

Thanks

But how do he find his way from Enugu to Ondo
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 16, 2018
I can write your project for you and you will get ur 'A'.
Pm me for more details
Pm me for more details
Pm me for more details
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by highness25(m): 8:39am On Jan 16, 2018
KingsJohnson:

Thank you all...
Bros, are you sure you're a graduate?
Re: How To Choose A Project Topic by supereagle(m): 8:45am On Jan 16, 2018
Your supervisor first. I had an experience of recent,I chose two topics,my area of interest and the other one, but my supervisor opted for the second option. He tactically rejected and rubbished my interest area. I have the ebook of the image of the book you displayed.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Nigerian Society Of Engineers Past Question Pdf / IELTS is Still N134,000 On IELTS.NG / The Ebonyi State University Post Ume Test Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.