Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? (3812 Views)

Checkout Top 5 Most Enviable Couples In Nigeria / What Can Bring Satisfaction For Couples In Marriage? / Are Gifts Between Couples In A Marriage Really Useful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by twinkle87(f): 11:21am On Apr 13, 2010
Hi nairalanders, Please how do u convince your parents that someone who is not from ur tribe is good for u?

My elder sister has been in a relationship with this guy who if from Edo for a while, they intend getting married and he wants to do the introduction in Christmas this year,
However we were brought up in a home where we never really discussed anything about relationships with our folks so they dont know this guy except for once mumsy met him at home, so most times we confide in ourselves.
The guy is Edo and were are Igbos. I and my sister have absolutely nothing against intertribal marriages or relationships.

The problem here is that my aunty (mums step-sister)who grew up with us was married to an Edo guy ended up in a divorce with the guy after only 3years of marriage. We dont know how to tell our parents about this guy considering the case of my aunty and how much the whole divorce thing affected the family. Also my sis wants him to familiarise with  other members of the family but is not soo convinced if they will accept him. We have prayed about it and the guy has been a bit understanding. From what i have seen so far i guess he will make a good husband, he's not perfect though but they complement each other. He's siblings also approve of my sister as well,

how do we go about it?
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by Outstrip(f): 2:06pm On Apr 13, 2010
My dad is from Edo state and my mom is igbo but are still married. I don't want to say do or don't because it would reduce this whole thing to stereotypes. Culturally though most ethnic groups in Edo state are very anti women empowerment. If he is God fearing, has a good heart, respects the women in his family, enlightened, has progressive views about life etc then he might be the one.
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 14, 2010
hmmm for obvious reasons,i find this topic very interesting wink, waiting for responses from Edo/Igbo marriages.
I noticed Edo men are usually jealous and domineering ,not trying to conclude its all of them though,
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by Outstrip(f): 6:12pm On Apr 14, 2010
I am waiting too grin
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 14, 2010
Am so very interested in dis topic. Pls people, lets keep d ball rolling.
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by twinkle87(f): 3:35pm On Apr 16, 2010
I noticed Edo men are usually jealous and domineering
i hv noticed toooo
And they crave for Respect like their lives really depend on it. i hvnt noticed that in my sisters fiancé though, but some of his friends i have met do.
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by netotse(m): 11:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
U guys should go easy on edo men now. . .lol

although u guys have some points though, between akaraoku and twinkle87 you guys described me on a bad day. . .
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by netotse(m): 11:08pm On Apr 16, 2010
Of which my mum is yoruba, so i guess it's safe to say that edo men are skilled when it comes to away matches. . .lol
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by Ejadamen(f): 12:05pm On Apr 17, 2010
Both my parents are Edo,needless to say I was put off Edo men for life grin grin but some are good(e.g. my dad grin). Most Edo men are very jealous, domineering and have terrible attitudes to women angry I guess you could call that good in that the man wants the woman all to himself tongue

Ok ok not to scare you,if he respects your sis and he treats the women in his life nice then cool. I think your sis should introduce the guy to your family now(let him visit etc) so all the drama can start now before December and then you guys will know how to tackle it. Where there is a will there is a way. wink
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by tpia1: 3:01am On Jul 29, 2014
What about igbo man /edo woman couples?

Not common?
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by kman332: 7:47am On Jul 29, 2014
i married a beautiful edo woman,and we living happily,so the possibility of living in peace is higher..
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by egopersonified(f): 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Abeg, abeg, abeg, if na play make una stop am. What is all this about edo men being jealous and domineering? U guys are only describing an average nigerian man. Op, by the way, it all bolis down to his character and not necesarily his ethnic group. Am edo, married to edo, my sisters are married to edo and ibo men, and we all are happy in our husbands' houses. Abeg, if yr sis is not interested, just let me know so I can connect my broda to his missing rib. #just saying ohh.
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by sexybash(f): 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2014
The both couple fit demselfs
Igbo girls mumu and like money
Edo men get ego. Wey reach kilomanjaro grin
My close pall the guy tell me say he nor fit let. Him wife earn salary pass am
Na him make she don born 3 children in. five years
Anytime we go for visit the guy go dey brain wash the chick say she better pass her friends wey neva marry lol
Edo men can brain wash women with jik and hypo
Anyway dem fit demselves
Na ebola go visit anybody we curse me angry
Re: Any Edo - Igbo Couples In The House? by cococandy(f): 2:27pm On Jul 30, 2014
There's only few ethnic groups in Nigeria that aren't anti-women empowerment.
Maybe you haven't heard of the urhobo people.
You'll cringe when you hear some of their men-women rules.

So let her not look at that angle but look at the man in question.
Is he enlightened?
Is he a good person?
Is he non-egotistic?
Does he believe in fairness and respect for her?

If yes to all,then she shouldnt be afraid of what the other people around think.

Outstrip: My dad is from Edo state and my mom is igbo but are still married. I don't want to say do or don't because it would reduce this whole thing to stereotypes. Culturally though most ethnic groups in Edo state are very anti women empowerment. If he is God fearing, has a good heart, respects the women in his family, enlightened, has progressive views about life etc then he might be the one.

(1) (Reply)

. / People Living Abroad,where Is Best To Buy A House First Nigeria Or Abroad ? / What Does It Mean For A Wife To Submit To Her Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.