Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. (22074 Views)

I Earn Over 300K Monthly... But I Don't Love My Job / Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / “My Mum Says Am Wicked And Heartless”; Fresh Nigerian Soldier Reveals. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by anyicash(m): 4:48pm On Jan 18, 2018
Do the both..Take over the school employ somebody to help you run the electrical business...give a pep talk to the employee and let him know he will grow with the business by doing the right thing.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by oneolajire(m): 4:49pm On Jan 18, 2018
I pray you'll not regret losing the school and your buz.

Build the school to a greater height, employ people and make someone of like mind to run the school for you, or you run the school on part-time basis.

Do you mean you can't do four jobs at the same time?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by lonelydora: 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Please I need your advice on how to make a decision that will not hurt me in the future. I am a graduate but due to the situation of the country, it was difficult for me to get a standard job so I resigned where I was managing and decided to learn trading.

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.

After a year, I went out to learn trading and when I came back, I decided to start something no matter how small.
I have started sale of Electrical parts, though I have not gotten much customers.

Just last night, my mum called me and said she would want me to take over her school business, that she is getting too old to continue. She said she will not be happy if I abandon the school and let it die like that. On my own part, I want to grow my business and I need more concentration on it. Now, I have a divided plan.

I don't want to abandon my business plans and at the same time, I dont want her stuggle to just die like that...

I need your advice, please.

Words of an elder are words of wisdom. Meanwhile, why do you think you will make it in your trade than in your mama's school?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by unique111: 6:18pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hello

My name is Isaac. I can be of a very good assist to you in running the school's administration.

As a function of my excellent contribution to the educational system in Imo State by building up a Library for the Ihiagwa Community, I was given the award of d Best Corps Member, 2015.

I do possess the skills and abilities required for the position.

I will appreciate meeting to tell you how I might contribute to the continued success of the school.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Guilderland1(m): 6:23pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

It depends on how large you want it to be...but I would advise you don't fill your store up with goods..customers' demand should be your compass. N500,000 can start
Thanks I admires ur advice, I have saved 700k, may be 500k will go only for goods and 100k for furniture and fittings including rental, may God bless our hustle

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by unique111: 6:26pm On Jan 18, 2018
unique111:
Hello

My name is Isaac. I can be of a very good assist to you in running the school's administration.

As a function of my excellent contribution to the educational system in Imo State by building up a Library for the Ihiagwa Community, I was given the award of d Best Corps Member, 2015.

I do possess the skills and abilities required for the position.

I will appreciate meeting to tell you how I might contribute to the continued success of the school.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by unique111: 6:33pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hello CeeJay,

I am confident that I can be of assistant to you, because I possess all the organisational skills, management skills and inter-personal relationship skills required in assisting you with the school.

Please, kindly contact me via my email address.
arowobusoyeisaac@gmail.com

Thanks.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Please I need your advice on how to make a decision that will not hurt me in the future. I am a graduate but due to the situation of the country, it was difficult for me to get a standard job so I resigned where I was managing and decided to learn trading.

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.

After a year, I went out to learn trading and when I came back, I decided to start something no matter how small.
I have started sale of Electrical parts, though I have not gotten much customers.

Just last night, my mum called me and said she would want me to take over her school business, that she is getting too old to continue. She said she will not be happy if I abandon the school and let it die like that. On my own part, I want to grow my business and I need more concentration on it. Now, I have a divided plan.

I don't want to abandon my business plans and at the same time, I dont want her stuggle to just die like that...

Become the Propreitor.

Employ a Principal/Head teacher.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Youngzedd(m): 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2018
Your ancestors will curse you if you ignore that school. That's a multi million dream you have there but you don't know.

Cc CeeJay9ja(
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by egopersonified(f): 7:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
please if your mum is younger than ninety, don't allow her retire. get a principal and your mum should still work part time, even if it is for a few hours two or three days a week
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by dondavad: 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
Oga deep down in your mind, you know what to do!!??!
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Protocall: 7:38pm On Jan 18, 2018
I want to really learn a lot of things. God bless this thread
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by miqos02(m): 7:46pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

Yes, I know but that school is a legacy I should not abandon sad
who will manage your electronics parts empire when grow old?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Olembey: 8:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley the secondary i finished from, all her children manages her school, two had to resign from an oil company in delta to come back to lagos and manage the school, my Mum is a teacher but has a poultry too, my brother manages the poultry and has a small job he's managing, do you understand what i am trying to tell you? if you have younger siblings put them in charge of that small shop first, it's obvious you have managerial skills since your short time presence in the school attracted more students, u de complain of unemployment but you dunno you have a cash cow waiting to be milked.

Spot on! Need I say more?
Obviously you have got great administrative skills, something you seem not to be aware of, reason why your short spell brought boom.... What to do?
Find a way and manage both business, yes you can.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by oluwakayode25(m): 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
Is it not easy??,,Get somebody at the shop..you own both places..spend more time at the school since your presence there did some good..Then make constant checks at the shop daily if you can afford it..school closes by 4pm I reckon..then spend the rest of the day at shop...wealth from two lucrative areas isnt bad..stay woke fam....I'd jump at that opportunity..it's a jungle out here!!!
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by ugosteine23: 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2018
I have some advice for u.
1. Ask God first, pray enquiry prayers ( o God show me myself)
2. Bill Gates and Paul Allen didn't start Microsoft from the beginning they developed an existing software called BASIC . U can still run both. Depending on which pays higher
3. From experience (my mother runs a school too ) some women leadership no be here. is the working condition okay
4 call me: 08069190435
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by frozen70(f): 9:19pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

You are in a cross road at this stage, are you the only child if yes go ahead, are you the first born if yes, that's a family business and others will have issues with you if you don't declare your profits because school is business.
If you choose her option you can't do anything again because you must always be present to monitor things, if you don't take her advice she will blame you for her situation.
Ask her to employ someone to handle the school while you supervise the person and get situation reports on weekly basis and be the one to take more decisions after consultations with mum.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by BamideleOJ: 10:20pm On Jan 18, 2018
Brother, I think you are only in a rush to meet your goals, sit back, take a deep breath, plan both well and you will see how amazingly you will run the school and your own business.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by bonario1: 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

That will affect my time of business. I am thinking of running both but Time factor is my problem
brother you can run the two together you just have to be committed and willing to make it work out.
the school runs from morning to afternoon and people buy electrical parts most times in the evening so you can employ someone who will help you manage the electrical business then when you close at school then you can resume at the shop.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by BloggerDonald: 12:50pm On Jan 19, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Relocate To Uyo Without Job Assurance / Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) / Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.