Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,508 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work (21792 Views)

You Earn #200k A Month But Your Boss Is Always Angry & Abusive? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:35pm On Nov 28, 2018
Hello my fellow NLers,

I have been spending quite sometime on this forum recently, TBH, it has been informative, entertaining & quite educative.

I am presently in a dilemma and I need urgent input from experienced NLers, I believe we have experienced career people here that must have gone through what am going through at the moment.

I got a job about 6months ago, its quite a good job, thanks to Nairaland job section, on resumption I notice there was a total overhaul of my dept, all former staff were fired and we were employ to replace them. I resume same day with my Dept Manager two months later a junior officer was employ to join us.

I have had a fantastic relationship with my manager the past six months, and we are in good terms, we drive home together everyday, we chat, have quality conversation, even lunch together etc. but am really becoming worried about something else....

My manger seems to take credit for all my work, he somehow deny me opportunity to prove my worth to top management. Now I will give you a typical instance.

Whenever our GMD comes around, there is always a meeting with one rep from each dept. not neccessarily the departmental head, in his absence am suppose to represent the department, he denies me of opportunity like this.

He has on many occassions deny my opportunity to meet the GMD on job related issues, when the GMD needs to see someone from my dept. or sign some documents even in his absence, he either call me to handover documents to the GMD secretary or send an office assistant to drop the document.

Furthermore, on resumption, I noticed the coy still run their account dept manually, an accounting software was introduce, a software i have used for years, which he (my Manager) is not familiar with, though after the software was deploy, we were trained, even after the training he seems not to know his way around the software interface, i single handedly automated all historial data for the previous 2yrs, and my manager took the credit at the magt meetings. Without even mentioning my name, its really annoying.

I am totally pissed right not cos, he just got a pay rise courtesy to the successful deployment and automation of the accounting system, which he knows absolutely nothing about, which i singledhandedly, paintstakingly work on for over 6months even investing my Saturdays.

The above is one instance out of so many.

I expect a manager to represent work done my the department he manages as "WE in so & so dept" I have overheard him many times using "I".

He personally ask me not to pass any dept info to mgt staff member, and all enquiries should be refered to him. I feel he doesnt want me to shine.

I need advise from fellow NLers who have gone through similar situation.

This is not really going well with me.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 4:37pm On Nov 28, 2018
lalatiscalala

Kindly help me move this to FP, I need more people to see this. thanks
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by coolcharm(m): 4:42pm On Nov 28, 2018
Hey OP,

I have a feeling that you are in your late 20's or early 30's.. I might be wrong, but I strongly sense so because you exuade so much energy and ambition with your write up.

While it is not a bad thing, you need to simmer down.

In corporate settings, there are always structured reporting lines, and you are his direct report!, Except you want to become his competition, which is what him 'stealing your shine' implies.

No matter how intelligent or smart you think you are on the job, never make the mistake of outsining your master (in this case, your boss).

That is the first law in Robert Greene's '48 Laws of Power'.

I leave you with excerpts from that book;

Law 1: Never Outshine the Master - Keys to Power
Robert Greene

Everyone has insecurities. When you show yourself in the world and display your talents, you naturally stir up all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity. This is to be expected. You cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others.

With those above you, however, you must take a different approach: when it comes to power, outshining the master is perhaps the worst mistake of all.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that life has changed much since the days of Louis XIV and the Medicis.

Those who attain high standing in life are like kings and queens: they want to feel secure in their positions, and superior to those around them in intelligence, wit, and charm.

It is a deadly but common misperception to believe that by displaying and vaunting your gifts and talents, you are winning the master's affection.

He may feign appreciation, but at his first opportunity he will replace you with someone less intelligent, less attractive, less threatening, just as Louis XIV replaced the sparkling Fouquet with the bland Colbert. And as with Louis, he will not admit the truth, but will find an excuse to rid himself of your presence.

------------------------------ End of quote --------------------------------

My final advice to you is to find ways to balance your ambition with patience and wisdom.

340 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by praxs(m): 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2018
Its such a shame that managers like these do exist. To begin with, a good leader uses the word "we" and not "I" when talking about his dept. I don't know the best advice to give you, but I recommend you keep your head down and continue to do your work properly. Always sends him a formal mail in any work you've done, which ordinarily he will take credit for. You can seldomly cc someone superior. By this, your work will start to get appreciated more without u even knowing.
I myself, a finance manager. I always make sure to use the word we, and always accord the thumps up to my subordinate. It motivates everyone to do better and brings about good team work.
Wish u the very best

45 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2018
praxs:
Its such a shame that managers like these do exist. To begin with, a good leader uses the word "we" and not "I" when talking about his dept. I don't know the best advice to give you, but I recommend you keep your head down and continue to do your work properly. Always sends him a formal mail in any work you've done, which ordinarily he will take credit for. You can seldomly cc someone superior. By this, your work will start to get appreciated more without u even knowing.
I myself, a finance manager. I always make sure to use the word we, and always accord the thumps up to my subordinate. It motivates everyone to do better and brings about good team work.
Wish u the very best
Many thanks, I think the bolded is what I just have to do, copying a superior has always been part of the problem, he doesn't want that, anything going to anyone outside the finance dept must pass through him. Its really frustrating. All the same, many thanks once again.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:45pm On Nov 28, 2018
coolcharm:
Hey OP,

I have a feeling that you are in your late 20's or early 30's.. I might be wrong, but I strongly sense so because you exuade so much energy and ambition with your write up.

In corporate settings, there are always structured reporting lines, and you are his direct report!, Except you want to become his competition, which is what him 'stealing your shine' implies.

No matter how intelligent or smart you think you are on the job, never make the mistake of outsining your master (in this case, your boss).

Robert Greene

Everyone has insecurities. When you show yourself in the world and display your talents, you naturally stir up all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity. This is to be expected. You cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others.

With those above you, however, you must take a different approach: when it comes to power, outshining the master is perhaps the worst mistake of all.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that life has changed much since the days of Louis XIV and the Medicis.

Those who attain high standing in life are like kings and queens: they want to feel secure in their positions, and superior to those around them in intelligence, wit, and charm.

It is a deadly but common misperception to believe that by displaying and vaunting your gifts and talents, you are winning the master's affection.

He may feign appreciation, but at his first opportunity he will replace you with someone less intelligent, less attractive, less threatening, just as Louis XIV replaced the sparkling Fouquet with the bland Colbert. And as with Louis, he will not admit the truth, but will find an excuse to rid himself of your presence.

My final advice to you is to find a balance your ambition with patience and wisdom.
Thanks, Yes I'm in my 30's, & I have read the above quoted book, TBH, I don't intend to outshine him, he is way more experience than I am, I respect his position, but I also believe managers should give their subordinate opportunity to showcase the little there can offer. that's how subordinate can learn. I also believe managers shouldn't colonize praises, credit & benefits, rather credit and benefit should be given across board.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 5:49pm On Nov 28, 2018
coolcharm:
Hey OP,

Robert Greene

My final advice to you is to find a balance your ambition with patience and wisdom.
Sorry, I also have not seen where I typed "Stealing my shine" the bolded is quite difference from "doesn't want me to shine"

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by coolcharm(m): 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2018
MrOpp:
Sorry, I also have not seen where I typed "Stealing my shine" the bolded is quite difference from "doesn't want me to shine"

Oh, ok. My bad. Hope you deal with the whole challenge with wisdom tho.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by MrOpp(m): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2018
coolcharm:

Oh, ok. My bad. Hope you deal with the whole challenge with wisdom tho.
Absolutely, Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by jokality(m): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2018
This is exactly what happened in boss baby episode 11.
You have to be very careful reclaiming yiur credits though.
But you have to resist your manager sometimes through approaching your GM with some of your talents.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Agbafs2005(m): 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
Pele...pray make u be boss too

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by 9japrof(m): 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
grin
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by DauraIsAGoal: 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
Go and read 48 laws of power, it will help you greatly

5 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Harrynight(m): 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
grin

The solution;

Be Your Own Boss!

3 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by 9japrof(m): 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Hello
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by moscobabs(m): 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
R
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by SlimBrawnie(f): 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
The guy seems to know/read the kind of person you are that's why he's trying this shit with you.

Always make sure you copy a superior in all your mails.. Nothing like he doesn't want that, he didn't hire you and you have the right to put whoever you want in the company in copy.

Make sure you include you name/signature on whatever you do and insist that the original copy must be the one in circulation.

You should have an HR in the company, put him or her in copy and report the matter to the HR if this guy tries to intimidate you with his position.

You've gotten too familiar with him and I think you are trying to avoid having any issues with him, reason why you've not taken any action yet... Avoid such relationships in a work place
Express yourself boldly but make sure you don't have prolonged issues with him.

Try your best possible to always make yourself relevant wherever you find yourself.
CorperKola:

dont answer this naive girl, if u try this, very soon you will be out of a job!!!

This naive girl has stood up to her superior before and told the chairman she can't work with that so called superior and requested to report to someone else.
This naive girl made her HR to call for a meeting and her HR insisted that the company cannot afford to loose she and her superior at the time so both just have to work together.
This naive girl wrote based on her experience but hey, I perfectly understand how it works when one is working in a typical Nigerian organization and moreso it depends on your position and how far you've proven yourself.
In all, don't get too close to colleagues in the office.
Cheers

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by abc115: 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
grin
I can deduce from your write up , that you are a bright and intelligent Accountant with less big goals,dreams and ambitions. One thing I will quickly suggest to you is to focus on your job as you have been doing and spend less energy on who is taking the glory or not. Focus on where you want to be and not on where you are presently. Have big dreams..when you do ...all these distractions will be secondary ...Wishing you best of Luck

24 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
Don't worry, you will become a boss soon
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by kingharzy: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
undecided
I feel your plight bro. I want to suggest 2 books that'll really help out. 1. 48 LAWS OF POWER by Robert Greene (prescribed above) 2. MAFIA MANAGER: A GUIDE TO THE CORPORATE MACHIAVELLI by V. These will really help.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by kingharzy: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
undecided
I feel your plight bro. I want to suggest 2 books that'll really help out. 1. 48 LAWS OF POWER by Robert Greene (prescribed above) 2. MAFIA MANAGER: A GUIDE TO THE CORPORATE MACHIAVELLI by V. These will really help.
Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by pocohantas(f): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
Calm down and learn office politics.

If not, na D them go score you for appraisal.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by itiswellandwell: 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by easynetsms(m): 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
This happens when u work for someone. Build ur business and ds rubbish will stop

Check my profile for cheap data plan

1 Like

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by BuhariBuster: 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
You are not there for personal glory. You are part of a team and your boss is the head. He takes credit for your accomplishments and takes the hit for your failures.

Just concentrate and don't let it appear to your boss that you are in competition with him. You better get into his good books.

David tried to take the glory away from his boss (Saul) and look at what happened to him

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by DauraIsAGoal: 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
MrOpp:
Thanks, Yes I'm in my 30's, & I have read the above quoted book, TBH, I don't intend to outshine him, he is way more experience than I am, I respect his position, but I also believe managers should give their subordinate opportunity to showcase the little there can offer. that's how subordinate can learn. I also believe managers shouldn't colonize praises, credit & benefits, rather credit and benefit should be given across board.
I don't think you understood anything from that book if you have actually read it, else you would have found a way out to your present predicament.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by ShamsBarack: 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
I have some questions for you.

1. Is this your first job?
2. Is this the line of career you want to pursue?

The reason why I'm asking is because as someone who has been working for quite sometime now, I know that at different times, my boss has taken direct credit for some of the new ideas that I brought into the department. Some other times, I get to get the credit. Since this seems to be the only thing that you've introduced into your organization, I'll advice you simmer down for a while. Trust me, a golden fish usually has no hiding place. With time, and maybe not even too long from now, the bosses will know who actually brings all those ideas.

Just continue doing your work and focus less on who takes the credit. With time, it'll definitely be clear who does the work.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by Peteryt01: 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
Lol,
Relax, ur time will come.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Boss Is Taking Credit For My Work by saragujay(m): 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
Just dumb yourself down. Don't overdo. Infact Anything that has to do with that software tell him you don't know that much about it. Let him do it himself.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Workers Get 20% Salary Increase, LASG To Implement From January 2023 / I Lost My Job Because I Complained Of Poor Working Condition!! / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.