Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,911 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases (22228 Views)

Break Into Tech With These Words Of Advice From Tobi Afolabi / Words To Avoid Using During An Interview / Avoid These Phrases When You Are Quitting Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by H100: 3:49pm On Sep 14, 2019
Are You Using These Negative Words? Use These Powerful Words Instead and Improve Your Communication

Below is a list of frequently used expressions and how we can re-frame them to become more positive words for business.

Failure – Learning
Afraid – Curious
I hate – I prefer
I’m afraid that – I trust that
Sickness – Cleansing
Nervous – Excited
Anxious – Eager, Keen
Problem – Challenge
Issue – Opportunity
Criticism – Advice
Stressed – Energized
Boring – Stable
Weird – Unique

Mindful communication is important for effective team work, Here are phrases that seem positive but sounds as bad business power words:
No problem – Definitely
No worries – My pleasure
Can’t complain – Doing great, thank you

Phrases focused on complaints rather than the solution:

I’m exhausted – I need to rest
I forgot – I’ll make sure to set a reminder

Words with negative connotations. Replace the phrase by a solution-oriented sentence:

Unfortunately
Impossible
Problems

Example: Unfortunately, it is impossible to send you the report now because of the problems we have with our analytics team. – Can we send the report by Friday so that we have time to follow up with the analytics team?

I miss you – I’m looking forward to seeing you
I missed you – It’s so great to see you!
Negative orders replaced by suggestion with a clear reasoning
Don’t tell me excuses – I like it when you are responsible
No… – I suggest you rather…, because…

Words indicating a fixed mindset, and not so good business power words and phrases:

I’m not good at this – I am not there yet. What can I do to get there?
I will never be that smart. – I will learn how to do this.
My friend can do it, not me. – I will learn from my friend.

Source Business Power Words

61 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by villagecraft: 3:56pm On Sep 14, 2019
English isn’t my language fadalawd

2 Likes

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by 1forall: 2:24am On Sep 15, 2019
A decent compilation, calls for regular practice though.

Once you get the job you can relax a bit smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by H100: 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Ritelar: 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
No be small thing o...good shaa

2 Likes

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
Happy Sunday nairalanders..... Please I need advice...am an engineering student currently in my 3rd year and my CGPA is on 2.2 and the possibility of me coming out with a 2.1 is by hitting 4point per semester... please how do I achieve this...
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by driand(m): 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
Worth reading! But even if you use them better than Dr driand but you have bad attitude and customer relationship, forget it!

3 Likes

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by BlackfireX: 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
I don't understand?
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by JewelBukky(f): 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
Great!
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Cholls(m): 5:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
my brother you are on ya own
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by lenghtinny(m): 5:32pm On Oct 13, 2019
Hashtag motivation monday
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by AsomArchitectNG(m): 5:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
We offer services for Architectural drawings/construction in order to
achieve a conducive, affordable and sustainable
building which meets the trend of contemporary
buildings today...see my signature for project executed and our contact details

You are just a DM away...
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by orpeeh: 5:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by omojesu202(m): 5:34pm On Oct 13, 2019
i don't know how to even use negatives word self. maybe i should try business
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Madibah(m): 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
T
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by RiyaGoddess(f): 5:36pm On Oct 13, 2019
Waoooh I need to learn this

3 Likes

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Kaybaba5(m): 5:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by murphyibiam15(m): 5:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
I like this

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by naijadrivablog: 5:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one, but I am CURIOUS, isn't H100 a model of Hyundai Bus? grin
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
Tbetty:
Happy Sunday nairalanders..... Please I need advice...am an engineering student currently in my 3rd year and my CGPA is on 2.2 and the possibility of me coming out with a 2.1 is by hitting 4point per semester... please how do I achieve this...
school na scam.... use ur school fees and start a sharwarmah business. no time!!!

1 Like

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Digipro: 5:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by donprinyo(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2019
Business speak
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by SEGLIZ: 6:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice
Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by bestboo001: 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
In as much as this makes sense.. Sometimes you just have 2 tell yourself the TRUTH using some of these 'negative' words.
It helps!!

2 Likes

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by greenalwaz: 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2019
H100:
Are You Using These Negative Words? Use These Powerful Words Instead and Improve Your Communication

Below is a list of frequently used expressions and how we can re-frame them to become more positive words for business.

Failure – Learning
Afraid – Curious
I hate – I prefer
I’m afraid that – I trust that
Sickness – Cleansing
Nervous – Excited
Anxious – Eager, Keen
Problem – Challenge
Issue – Opportunity
Criticism – Advice
Stressed – Energized
Boring – Stable
Weird – Unique

Mindful communication is important for effective team work, Here are phrases that seem positive but sounds as bad business power words:
No problem – Definitely
No worries – My pleasure
Can’t complain – Doing great, thank you

Phrases focused on complaints rather than the solution:

I’m exhausted – I need to rest
I forgot – I’ll make sure to set a reminder

Words with negative connotations. Replace the phrase by a solution-oriented sentence:

Unfortunately
Impossible
Problems

Example: Unfortunately, it is impossible to send you the report now because of the problems we have with our analytics team. – Can we send the report by Friday so that we have time to follow up with the analytics team?

I miss you – I’m looking forward to seeing you
I missed you – It’s so great to see you!
Negative orders replaced by suggestion with a clear reasoning
Don’t tell me excuses – I like it when you are responsible
No… – I suggest you rather…, because…

Words indicating a fixed mindset, and not so good business power words and phrases:

I’m not good at this – I am not there yet. What can I do to get there?
I will never be that smart. – I will learn how to do this.
My friend can do it, not me. – I will learn from my friend.

Source Business Power Words

Nice write up!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by husu(m): 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2019
Tbetty:

My friend, forget 2:1, or 2:2 study to know and understand your course very well. just know what you are doing and that's all. in the long run you will enjoy it. learn and understand your practicals very well. understand the basis of every thing you are taught in school

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases by Legendguru: 7:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
Hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

BRT Workers Strike Over Unpaid Salaries (photo) / 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships / The #nairalife Of A POS Agent Forced To Plot New Business Moves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.