Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,416 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? (5412 Views)

How To Place The Hands During Tashahhud? / How Tashahhud Is Performed In Solat / Wording Of The Tashahhud And Sending Blessings On The Prophet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by Lukgaf(m): 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2018
QUESTION AND ANSWER WITH SHAYKH (DR) SHAROF GBADEBO ROOJEE [HAFIDHOHULLAAH]

Questioner:
How should we place our hands during Tashahhud?

Dr Sharoff:

The left hand should be placed upon the left thigh; the right hand should be placed upon the right thigh; while the pinkie, the ring finger and the middle finger (of the right hand) should be grasped with the thumb. The index finger should be placed straight such that we point with it, moving it slightly as we supplicate. That is how it was reported in the hadeeth of Waa'il bn Hujr. We should move it while supplicating; that is what the Prophet (sollaLloohu ‘alyhi wa sallam) used to do. He said, ‘I saw the Prophet (sollaLloohu ‘alayhi wa sallam) moving his index finger using it for supplicating during his Tashahhud.’

According to the Maalikiyyah, the (right) hand should be emboxed while swinging the index finger during the supplication. One of our scholars interpreted it to mean that their aim is to make Shaytoon leave their hearts while they swing the index finger. However, what is evident in the Sunnah is what we earlier explained. That is the first description.

The second description is that the pinkie and the ring finger are affixed to the right palm; the middle finger and the thumb would be together in the form of a ring while we point and move the index finger. Both descriptions were reported from Prophet Muhammad (sollaLloohu ‘alayhi wa sallam). It was reported that when the Prophet (sollaLloohu ‘alayhi wa sallam) sat for tashahhud, he formed a ring like fifty-three with his hand.

What we see most people doing is different (from what was reported in these narrations). Some people place their hands on their thighs and oscillate the index finger. There are people who embox the two hands on their thighs oscillating the two index fingers in an orthogonal manner. These descriptions are just like engaging in activities expressly for the purpose of entertainment.

A brother from the congregation asked: What if the index finger is pointed without moving it?

Dr Sharof: A person asks, what about if we move it once in a while?

The brother: I mean if we do not move it at all.

Dr Sharof: [/b]Without moving it? That is not appropriate. The Companion said the Prophet used to move it; therefore, we will also move it.We have seen someone who challenged people who move it. He is one of the followers of Hanafiyyah; he saw a person moving his index finger while praying beside him. He clutched the person’s hand and smashed his index finger.

[b]The Congregation: Laughing mode activated
!

Dr Sharof: That is extremism. That is from overstepping the limits.

SOURCE: EXTREMISM IN ISLAAM AT LAGOS ISLAND

Transcribed by: Aboo Aaishah Al Odeomeey but original style edited by Lukgaf for website reading purpose

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:32pm On Jan 18, 2018
I hope we can learn here. Some of us move all our fingers in erratic and funny ways. Let's move it upwards and downwards carefully as we recite... May Allah grant us more wisdom, knowledge and understanding that will be of benefit to us all.

Jazaak Allahu khayran OP for all your efforts.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by iamgenius(m): 8:34pm On Jan 18, 2018
JazaakaLlahu Khayran
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by Mullah13(m): 9:48am On Jan 19, 2018
jazakumullah khairan
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by Mrukk: 10:06am On Jan 19, 2018
JazakaAllahu khyran for this
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by dominique(f): 10:12am On Jan 19, 2018
That's how most Muslims do it.
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by tayebest(m): 10:47am On Jan 19, 2018
dominique:
That's how most Muslims do it.
Toor, I wonder what could really calls for "arguments" from this...
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by ibawon(m): 11:01am On Jan 19, 2018
I remembered when my Father was mad at me moving my finger during Tashahud. I was glad when the Imam decided to pick a topic on it and explained better.
To practice Islam you have to posses the knowledge, it's not a guessing thing.
Barka Jumah

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by bams2999(m): 11:09am On Jan 19, 2018
Thanks u 4 Knowledge as
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by bash4us(m): 11:18am On Jan 19, 2018
JazaakaLlahu Khayran
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by mysteriousman(m): 12:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
This issue has been on my mind for years now. I started observing this recently, from a couple of years ago. From the practice from Imams and Muslim umma I saw growing up they didn't used to move the index finger, the index finger was simply pointed
Re: How Should We Place Our Hands During Tashahhud? by Shamsointegrity(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2018
Naam Jazakumllahu khaeran

U can kindly check Sifaat Salat nabeey by Sheik Muhammed Nasir Deen al-albaaniy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Star And Half Moon Symbols Signify In The Islam Religion? / The Last Day!!!! / Does Being Intimate With Your Wife During Ramadan period Breaks Our Fasting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.