Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung (28949 Views)

MTN Nigeria Has Added 3 New Network Prefixes To Its Preexisting 10 / I Have 50k+...to Get A Phone. Samsung A20, A70 Or Redmi / Samsung Launches Another Premium Budget Phone - Samsung M90 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 8:42am On Jan 19, 2018
Acidosis:

There's no vast patronage anywhere. 9 out of 10 Nigerians don't use Samsung phones. In fact, majority of the users got fairly used products from UK/US and computer village.

Don't mind them. We just have this bogus, inflated view of our country. They think it's just about population. Nigerians find it difficult to accept that we are a poor country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by teamsynergy: 8:43am On Jan 19, 2018
poseidon12:

Tantalum in Congo, and Senegal? First, Congo and Senegal are not Nigeria. Second, he said 400 components.

lame excuse.... how many of the components does Korea have ... do you even know the components used and how many minerals are found in Nigeria ?? Go figure...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 8:46am On Jan 19, 2018
tdayof:
This news sound so fake. Samsung gains nothing by setting up a manufacturing firm here in Nigeria.

Being in the telecommunication manufacturing sector, I can tell you Nigeria produces components which are also be in used to produce mobile phones. Your fact about Nigeria producing none is a bogus claim and nothing but false.

It's either this story is fake or Samsung Samsung CEO is not informed.

80% of the South African market share can be smaller than 5% of the Nigerian market share.

Which companies are producing which components for mobile phones in Nigeria? Who are they selling to?
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by ubunja(m): 8:51am On Jan 19, 2018
lol why do you nigerians always take things personally grin
its hillarious...
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by erico2k2(m): 8:52am On Jan 19, 2018
Lafiyasabiat:
The Chief Executive Officer, CEO, of Samsung Electronics Africa, Mr. Sung Yoon, on Thursday disclosed that manufacturing a mobile phone required about 400 different components, none of which is available in Nigeria.

Speaking during an interactive session with journalists in Lagos, he stated that another reasons Samsung Electronics could not establish a manufacturing plant in Nigeria is because the company’s market share in the country is not big enough.

Yoon pointed out that though Samsung was the leading consumer electronics company in Nigeria, its share of the Nigerian market is smaller to South Africa’s.

He said that the company’s smartphones market size in South Africa is 80 per cent, but is lower in Nigeria...

Source: https://newsworth.ng/nigeria-none-400-components-needed-manufacture-mobile-phone-samsung-ceo/
Trash
Without doing any research on top my head I can day we have silicon

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 8:54am On Jan 19, 2018
talk2ekpa:
What an insult Mr. Sung Yoon. So, human resources and capital is not part of components needed for manufacturing a mobile phone abi, or Nigeria does not have that too...

You need skilled human resources and of course we don't have that.
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by SC1738: 9:00am On Jan 19, 2018
its the sad truth, we lack the skills and incentives to become a manufacturing powerhouse right now
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 9:01am On Jan 19, 2018
hostkobo:

It is nice to be patriotic, however patriotism cannot be in a vacuum.

How many of you can name 20-electronic components needed in the manufacture of a mobile phone?

Ok, forget mobile phones. How about small FM radios?

is there any company in Nigeria that MANUFACTURES FM-radios. I said MANUFACTURE, not assemble. Assemble is when you buy all the parts from Japan and China, ship them in, and somewhere in Nigeria, you couple it together the same way some computer desktops are done.

Is there any company in Nigeria that manufactures industry standard electronic components such as resistors, inductors, capacitors, transistors, logic gates/circuits, etc. By industry standard, I mean industry standard that can be exported out of Nigeria.

If the above answer is NO, is there any manufacturing company in Nigeria that is provided with 24hour electricity?

Even if the CEO was a selfish person, we have given him more reasons to be selfish. If Nigeria could have 24-hours uninterrupted electricity, I bet you thousands of international companies will relocate. Nigeria is just a small picture, consider Africa

regards
HK

A clarification is in order here. The manufacturers of gadgets don't necessarily have to manufacture their components. Almost all the big name manufacturers have to buy their components from other sources. They have to design their gadgets though.
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by john650(m): 9:03am On Jan 19, 2018
Basically, he is saying you need us more than we need you. We are not going to bother setting up a manufacturing plant in your country when you will buy our phones regardless.

He says they can't manufacture their products in Nigeria because the 400 or so materials needed for the manufacture of mobile phones are not available in the country. My question to him are those materials available in his native country of South Korea or the United States or any other country for that matter? It is a very lame excuse.

If we had our own local manufacturing industry for mobile phones, I would say the government slap a high tariff on mobile phones and you will see the likes of Samsung coming to their senses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 9:07am On Jan 19, 2018
galadima77:

Only Lord knows the quantity of tantalum that found their way to these guys/companies via the back door, no thanks to the artisanal and illegal miners. Please note that Nigeria also has occurances of this mineral in significant quantities. I'm a geologist and from Niger state so it's what I've encountered here in Niger. Thus the poo that guy is spewing may have other reasons but the non-availability of the over 400 components' raw material is a fat lie!!!

the guy below has valid points too

I thought the article said 400 components, not raw materials for the 400 components. To manufacture their handsets, Samsung or any other company do not have to manufacture the components. They buy the components from the components manufacturers.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 9:12am On Jan 19, 2018
teamsynergy:

how many of the components does south Korea have?

'congo and Senegal are closer to Nigeria than Korea ....v

read between the lines ....Nissan and most car producing company import their ore from Australia ... bottom line is Samsung can set up your company anywhere and bring In the materials needed....
it's just like saying, cos u dont av fossil fuel, u cant have cars....

comprehende?....

it's very simple

Nissan and other car manufacturers do not import or need to import iron ore for their flat steel requirements. There are steel companies that do that. Nissan then buys from them. That way Nissan can concentrate on designing good cars.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by Acidosis(m): 9:17am On Jan 19, 2018
poseidon12:

I thought the article said 400 components, not raw materials for the 400 components. To manufacture their handsets, Samsung or any other company do not have to manufacture the components. They buy the components from the components manufacturers.

They expect Samsung to open a silicon mining firm in Nigeria, revive Ajaokuta steel firm, launch an iron ore and aluminum industry, revive PHCN etc.. All in the name of manufacturing phones in the damn country.

If global companies reason in that manner, none will survive the first year of business operations.

The way Nigerians reason baffles me a lot. It is clear we don't even have the human resources. So I guess Samsung will end up building new schools in the name of producing phones in the damn country where minimum wage stands at #18,000. Phones that majority can't even afford the screen.

Anyone that picks offence on seeing this glaring facts about Nigeria should have his/her head checked. Let me remind us all that Nigeria has one of the worst power supply/generation in the whole world.

Tecno and Infinix sef never consider manufacturing in the country grin Best they can do is exactly what they've been doing -- produce the phones in China, ship it down to Nigeria, and get some dancers, print some blue Tecno shirts, get some choreographers and speakers in Ikeja grin grin When it comes to hiring dancers, street marketers and disturbing the whole computer village with noise, we are very good!

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by fashrola(m): 9:18am On Jan 19, 2018
XXLDICK:

Which component does Nigeria produce?

We have rubber, silicon, gold, copper etc

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by teamsynergy: 9:23am On Jan 19, 2018
poseidon12:

Nissan and other car manufacturers do not import or need to import iron ore for their flat steel requirements. There are steel companies that do that. Nissan then buys from them. That way Nissan can concentrate on designing good cars.

will Nissan now say cos their country don't have steel, car production is impossible??... Nigeria can host any production company if the gov't is ready....

most cement factories set up their metal recycling companies to cater for their metal requirements I cement production .....

though am not really interested in phone manufacturing companies, cos of their poor toxic waste disposal. we have enough probs already...
still the man was wrong to say we do av any of the components ... that's fallacy.... check the list of components required and cross check with minerals found in nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 9:24am On Jan 19, 2018
Acidosis:

They expect Samsung to open a silicon mining firm in Nigeria, revive Ajaokuta steel firm, launch an iron ore and aluminum industry, revive PHCN etc.. All in the name of manufacturing phones in the country.

If global companies reason in that manner, none will survive the first year of business operations.

The way Nigerians reason baffles me a lot. It is clear we don't even have the human resources. So I guess Samsung will end up building new schools in the name of producing phones in the damn country where minimum wage stands at #18,000. Phones that majority can't even afford.

Anyone that picks offence on seeing this glaring facts about Nigeria should have his/her head checked. Let me remind us all that Nigeria has one of the worst power supply/generation in the whole world.

Yep. The way we think is exactly why we have not made progress as a country.
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by XXLDICK(m): 9:33am On Jan 19, 2018
fashrola:

I was expecting you to mention something like camera sensor, processor, display, battery... not natural resources.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by Bluffly: 9:33am On Jan 19, 2018
GavelSlam:

What is its percentage of the Nigerian market?

How many units sold here?

80% of 100 is 80.

20% of 1000 is 200.

Maybe he is talking about performance of their entire budget and not from the population perspective
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by teamsynergy: 9:33am On Jan 19, 2018
Acidosis:

They expect Samsung to open a silicon mining firm in Nigeria, revive Ajaokuta steel firm, launch an iron ore and aluminum industry, revive PHCN etc.. All in the name of manufacturing phones in the damn country.

The way Nigerians reason baffles me a lot. It is clear we don't even have the human resources. So I guess Samsung will end up building new schools in the name of producing phones in the damn country where minimum wage stands at #18,000. Phones that majority can't even afford the screen.

Tecno and Infinix sef never consider manufacturing in the country grin Best they can do is exactly what they've been doing -- produce the phones in China, ship it down to Nigeria, and get some dancers, print some blue Tecno shirts, get some choreographers and speakers in Ikeja grin grin When it comes to hiring dancers, street marketers and disturbing the whole computer village with noise, we are very good!

u may have a point .... however, you dont need stable electricity as u can set up your own ipp... how do pharm companies, cement factories and other production. companies? Even RCCG generates it's own electricity...

go to the north and see illegal mining on full scale.. that's major problem here. most people in govt benefit from this and will never support setting up companies that mines and defines this resources ....

corruption remains own major prob......

and China actually offer safe haven for most production companies .. foxconn has over 1million workers and produces most of apple components ..

there is cheap labour and so many solid mineral refining companies
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by poseidon12: 9:38am On Jan 19, 2018
fashrola:

These are raw materials for some of the components. They are not the components. You need companies, different from the phone manufacturers, to use these raw materials to produce the components needed to manufacture the phones. These components include the memory chips (ram and rom), storage cards, the screens etc; just to give you an idea what they mean by components.
For example, the silicon you mentioned is used to make transistor. Then the transistors are used to make integrated circuits. Then the integrated circuits are used to make the memory chips and cards.
There are no such companies in Nigeria right now. We need to invest massively in technical education.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by arrestdarrester: 9:40am On Jan 19, 2018
Stop saying thrash. Wait there till Tecno does the needful
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by bejeria101(m): 9:58am On Jan 19, 2018
Samsung that is a huge lie!
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by henry007(m): 10:02am On Jan 19, 2018
This news came from where again?

Why would there be interest in manufacturing in Nigeria to begin with?
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by ailenmen: 10:11am On Jan 19, 2018
The CEO of Samsung just lied.!� .how can he say as big as Nigeria and all their abundant raw material we have none! It a lie.we should have more than half if he is not aware.rubber,copper, lead,etc
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by galadima77(m): 10:22am On Jan 19, 2018
poseidon12:

so u can't buy the components from wherever and assemble in ur choice area? keep hating your country and see how that helps u grow!!
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by thebigkendo(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2018
erico2k2:

Trash
Without doing any research on top my head I can say we have silicon

Bros Silicon is not a component, it is a raw material used to make some of the electronic components. Even if we have silicon as you say,you don't expect them to harvest the silicon, export it to china to be manufacture the component.

Even if silicon is a "component" .. Its 1 out of 400, doesn't still make any business sense to manufacture in Nigeria just because one component is available

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by Jessam: 11:26am On Jan 19, 2018
yes Nigeria does have nothing to manufacture a phone,

Poor Governance , leaders once they invest billions of dollars in a factory the politicians will start blackmailing them for millions or threaten to shut the business

Multiple tax system and corrupt FIRS officials swooping down and sealing of the business

poor infrastructure and bad roads - No meaningful , cheap or reliable source of electricity, poor road network, . by the time new phones are loaded onto a lorry and transported across the country, most of the components will have been shaken so much that they are likely to be faulty by the time it reaches the consumer.

Robbery - the factory and its adjoining roads will be a magnet for armed robbers, apart from oil pipes it will will be the next high net value production point.

Now these are the real reasons why it can't be manufactured in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by erico2k2(m): 11:32am On Jan 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

Bros Silicon is not a component, it is a raw material used to make some of the electronic components. Even if we have silicon as you say,you don't expect them to harvest the silicon, export it to china to be manufacture the component.

Even if silicon is a "component" .. Its 1 out of 400, doesn't still make any business sense to manufacture in Nigeria just because one component is available
Plz read my reply again also Google what silicon is too.it's sand . It's the major raw materia used in all electronics . It's the base for all PCBs
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by SoNature(m): 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2018
GavelSlam:

What is its percentage of the Nigerian market?

How many units sold here?

80% of 100 is 80.

20% of 1000 is 200.

Oga, go rest! How many Nigerians buy brand new Samsung phones? We merely buy fairly used and UK used and of course stolen phones.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by thebigkendo(m): 12:16pm On Jan 19, 2018
erico2k2:

It's the major raw material used in all electronics . It's the base for all PCBs

Keyword raw material not Components.. We have crude oil in Nigeria but refined product is still scarce, same thing applies here. Bros let us leave sentiment asides if you are Samsung as a business would you invest in Manufaturing Nigeria when you have many better alternative?

Read part of my initial statement again

Find below some components required for a BASIC phone not smart phone with plenty sensor oh, do we have any company presently manufacturing any of the basic component in Nigeria? With the plenty Silicon we have.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by gloriana(f): 12:29pm On Jan 19, 2018
teamsynergy:
that's a lame excuse.... tantalum is in Congo and has been discovered in commercial quantity in Senegal ....so.... it our gov't policies that are very weak... they can set up a plant here and have their own ipp
they are investing in sex dolls at the moment to calm our nigerian brothers so that they can vote wisely. calm down
Re: Nigeria Has None Of 400 Components Needed To Manufacture Mobile Phone – Samsung by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 19, 2018
Lafiyasabiat:
The Chief Executive Officer, CEO, of Samsung Electronics Africa, Mr. Sung Yoon, on Thursday disclosed that manufacturing a mobile phone required about 400 different components, none of which is available in Nigeria.

Speaking during an interactive session with journalists in Lagos, he stated that another reasons Samsung Electronics could not establish a manufacturing plant in Nigeria is because the company’s market share in the country is not big enough.

Yoon pointed out that though Samsung was the leading consumer electronics company in Nigeria, its share of the Nigerian market is smaller to South Africa’s.

He said that the company’s smartphones market size in South Africa is 80 per cent, but is lower in Nigeria...

Source: https://newsworth.ng/nigeria-none-400-components-needed-manufacture-mobile-phone-samsung-ceo/

A waste shitty hole naturally would not have any of the components for producing smartphones.

IF THEY CAN'T PRODUCE TOOTHPICK, IS IT SMARTPHONE THAT THEY WILL MANUFACTURE? ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Identify An Unknown Caller / 9 Potentially Misleading Smartphone Features Nigerians Fall For / Specifications Of The New Gionee S6s And Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.