Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,448 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone (9226 Views)

Man Cries Out Over The Type Of Ambulance Donated By Ogun State Government / UNN Graduate Dies Of Lassa Fever In Kogi (photos) / Lassa Fever Kills 2 Doctors In Ebonyi State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Nweze1986: 2:42pm On Jan 19, 2018
LASSA FEVER CRITICS LEAVE EBONYI STATE GOVERNMENT ALONE

By Philip Nweze

The incurable critics and wailers are at it again. It seems these rustic negative people are never tired of whispering the name "Umahi" and dishing out occasional doses of falsehood on the name. It disturbed my peace of mind when I read the torrents of criticisms and verbal missiles fired at the state government by these charlatans and hirelings over the recent fresh outbreak of lassa fever in the state. Initially, I thought I should ignore them. But with our collective silence the critics have become more daring. I was particularly miffed and embarrassed that fellow Ebonyians are portraying themselves in such unacceptable bad light by playing politics with the unfortunate death of their fellow compatriots who fell to the dreaded lassa fever disease.

Despite the lies, misinformation and falsehood, the truth, as always, remains unassailable.The Lassa Fever disease which has so far claimed the lives of three medical personnel and a patient at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki has been met with corresponding decisive action ever since it reared it's ugly murderous head. Among the interventions was the release of five million naira to fully activate the Virology Centre, Abakaliki built two years ago.

Part of the five million naira will be used to train medical personnel and procure some reagents to equip the Centre. Also, following a distress call to the Hon Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, by the governor, the minister immediately flew down some medical experts from Abuja, in addition to the ones to be sourced from Lagos and Benin to facilitate the training of a newly assembled lassa fever crack team.

Similarly, an approval has also been given to release two million naira to a Lassa Fever Committee to mount surveillance and monitoring in and around Hausa Quarters, MacGregor and Mata Hospital, Afikpo as well as FETHA One and Two Abakaliki where the first contacts were traced to, while relatives of the victims are also to be put on close monitoring and rigorous surveillance. Also, public, private and mission schools in Ebonyi state have been shut down for one week until 26th January to check the spread of the killer disease.

Rather than berated, kudos should go to the state government for its swift intervention, strong leadership and effective coordination of the response that included the immediate establishment of a committee of government and Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), release of funds and drafting of experts from across the country. The Government’s quick action and deployment of the necessary resources was key to averting a major disaster. If not for the doggedness of Ebonyi state goverror in containing the disease, the scenario could have snowballed into a major epidemic. Also, don't forget the proactive steps and drastic measures earlier taken even before the disease resurfaced in 2018. The most pronounced were the building of a first rate virology laboratory, procurement of ambulances and a sustained media awareness campaign till date.

It is particularly saddening that the world class Lassa Fever Centre has not become functional since it was built and handed over to the Federal Government in 2016. But should the governor and his team receive the bashing for its dormant operational status? Hell No! The governor should rather be applauded and venerated for the steps taken so far in addressing the plague of lassa fever.

Once the lassa fever red alert hit town, Governor Umahi put together at an emergency meeting convened on Tuesday 16th January, to coordinate immediate risk assessment of the situation and fashion out the strengthening of prevention and preparedness for any potential introduction of the virus to more parts of the state. In the past one week, there has been an increased focus on reinforcing principles of infection prevention and control across the state. What more can you ask of a governor.

In all fairness, Gov. Umahi deserves triple kudos​ for venturing into the Virology centre project for the benefit of Ebonyi people. The handover of the centre to the Federal Government was necessary for effective use and maintenance of the centre but unfortunately the characteristic snail speed approach of the central government had set in to deny Ebonyi people the benefit of this visionary project.

Given the periodic outbreaks of lassa fever in Ebonyi state, the Virology centre project is an important one and so should not be politicized the way some people are doing. This is moreso given the lives that have been lost, the negative impacts of the lassa fever outbreak on the socio-economic life of the people and the hopelessness the non-functional Virology centre has foisted on Ebonyi people!

The blackmail against the governor is diversionary and misplaced. Ebonyi people and all men of good will should demand explanation on the non-functional status of the Virology centre in Abakaliki from the Federal Ministry of Health who took it over since 2016 and upgraded it to a zonal hospital.

The APC sponsored online mouth leaking goons are bereft of ideas hence this shameful attempt to drag the name and reputation of the governor into disrepute with their pre-mediated attacks.

I rest my case!

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Nweze1986: 2:45pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nweze1986:

By Philip Nweze

The incurable critics and wailers are at it again. It seems these rustic negative people are never tired of whispering the name "Umahi" and dishing out occasional doses of falsehood on the name. It disturbed my peace of mind when I read the torrents of criticisms and verbal missiles fired at the state government by these charlatans and hirelings over the recent fresh outbreak of lassa fever in the state. Initially, I thought I should ignore them. But with our collective silence the critics have become more daring. I was particularly miffed and embarrassed that fellow Ebonyians are portraying themselves in such unacceptable bad light by playing politics with the unfortunate death of their fellow compatriots who fell to the dreaded lassa fever disease.

Despite the lies, misinformation and falsehood, the truth, as always, remains unassailable.The Lassa Fever disease which has so far claimed the lives of three medical personnel and a patient at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki has been met with corresponding decisive action ever since it reared it's ugly murderous head. Among the interventions was the release of five million naira to fully activate the Virology Centre, Abakaliki built two years ago.

Part of the five million naira will be used to train medical personnel and procure some reagents to equip the Centre. Also, following a distress call to the Hon Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole, by the governor, the minister immediately flew down some medical experts from Abuja, in addition to the ones to be sourced from Lagos and Benin to facilitate the training of a newly assembled lassa fever crack team.

Similarly, an approval has also been given to release two million naira to a Lassa Fever Committee to mount surveillance and monitoring in and around Hausa Quarters, MacGregor and Mata Hospital, Afikpo as well as FETHA One and Two Abakaliki where the first contacts were traced to, while relatives of the victims are also to be put on close monitoring and rigorous surveillance. Also, public, private and mission schools in Ebonyi state have been shut down for one week until 26th January to check the spread of the killer disease.

Rather than berated, kudos should go to the state government for its swift intervention, strong leadership and effective coordination of the response that included the immediate establishment of a committee of government and Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), release of funds and drafting of experts from across the country. The Government’s quick action and deployment of the necessary resources was key to averting a major disaster. If not for the doggedness of Ebonyi state goverror in containing the disease, the scenario could have snowballed into a major epidemic. Also, don't forget the proactive steps and drastic measures earlier taken even before the disease resurfaced in 2018. The most pronounced were the building of a first rate virology laboratory, procurement of ambulances and a sustained media awareness campaign till date.

It is particularly saddening that the world class Lassa Fever Centre has not become functional since it was built and handed over to the Federal Government in 2016. But should the governor and his team receive the bashing for its dormant operational status? Hell No! The governor should rather be applauded and venerated for the steps taken so far in addressing the plague of lassa fever.

Once the lassa fever red alert hit town, Governor Umahi put together at an emergency meeting convened on Tuesday 16th January, to coordinate immediate risk assessment of the situation and fashion out the strengthening of prevention and preparedness for any potential introduction of the virus to more parts of the state. In the past one week, there has been an increased focus on reinforcing principles of infection prevention and control across the state. What more can you ask of a governor.

In all fairness, Gov. Umahi deserves triple kudos​ for venturing into the Virology centre project for the benefit of Ebonyi people. The handover of the centre to the Federal Government was necessary for effective use and maintenance of the centre but unfortunately the characteristic snail speed approach of the central government had set in to deny Ebonyi people the benefit of this visionary project.

Given the periodic outbreaks of lassa fever in Ebonyi state, the Virology centre project is an important one and so should not be politicized the way some people are doing. This is moreso given the lives that have been lost, the negative impacts of the lassa fever outbreak on the socio-economic life of the people and the hopelessness the non-functional Virology centre has foisted on Ebonyi people!

The blackmail against the governor is diversionary and misplaced. Ebonyi people and all men of good will should demand explanation on the non-functional status of the Virology centre in Abakaliki from the Federal Ministry of Health who took it over since 2016 and upgraded it to a zonal hospital.

The APC sponsored online mouth leaking goons are bereft of ideas hence this shameful attempt to drag the name and reputation of the governor into disrepute with their pre-mediated attacks.

I rest my case!
More pictures

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by free2ryhme: 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nweze1986:

By Philip Nweze

I rest my case!

Disease do not submit to essay composition

lassa fever do not answer to white elephant projects

Show proof of lives saved

5 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by designVATExcel: 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2018
Na wa o. I though Lassa fever was an epidemic, its getting more rampant/ frequent.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by luminouz(m): 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2018
Seems ur paid to do this
At least u go chop wella tonight!

2 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by binsanni(m): 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2018
OK
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by lawalosky(m): 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2018

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by oshe11: 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2018
designVATExcel:
Na wa o. I though Lassa fever was an epidemic, its getting more rampant/ frequent.

No ooo

Na condensed MILK

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by itsandi(m): 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by OkpaAkuEriEri(m): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2018
OP just dey work hard 4 im salary.
Anoda human zombie

2 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by free2ryhme: 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2018
designVATExcel:

take for your pains

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by greatface(m): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nweze1986, I need no permission to tell you and your kind out there that our problems in this state, country and africa in general does not end with our bad leaders but even more on people like you who just for a stipend does everything to defend their mediocry even in life threatening issues.

I am very thankful that you posted pictures of the "WORLD CLASS" virology center built in Ebonyi state by your Lord mr dave umahi. My question however, is, can ambulances, nice building, hospital bed and shine shine lights diagnose and treat virology patient? Why can't you post pictures of the medical equipments installed in that center.

Will you be kind enough to tell us the amount that was budgeted for that project?

Three medical personel gone and many quarantined yet you have no need to tell the world the truth but to defend your pay master.

Even if you don't know what it means to lose a doctor let alone three, please show some respect to the family of the dead.

6 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Okoyeebos: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2018
The truth is that the average Igbo man sees the Ebonyi man as being inferior. I don't know what brought about that useless idea but even here on NL, they refer to Ebonyi and Nsukka people as wawa people.

I guess this repeated bashing has brought about a victim complex in some Ebonyi people and makes them do foolish things to gain relevance and make up for their obvious complex.

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by dakeskese(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2018
The fool and his money would soon part ways.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by olamil34(m): 3:34pm On Jan 19, 2018
I need to leave this planet
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by greatface(m): 3:40pm On Jan 19, 2018
You try tell us that Umahi has done well enough by giving 5 million naira and approved 2 million more for research. Are you now saying that after spending several hundred millions to which the result was mere building that 5+2 million will now equipe and employ qualified manpower to manage that center?

This project was awarded by Umahi and commissioned by the minister of health under Umahi's administration even though he knew that there is nothing in that empty building yet he claimed that the Federal Government is to blaim alone.

He has been using that center as basis for campaign yet when things went wrong he tried to disassociate himself with every ill of that project.

2 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by greatface(m): 3:41pm On Jan 19, 2018
NMA rejected that center as not well equiped to be a virology research center yet they couldn't make it public until the consequences of the decit of our leaders got them on their throats by taking three of their members. That was when they started counter proofing every lies that the governor wanted to cover.

Umahi's government even asked the federal government to reburse them but knowing who is at the hem of affairs over there, the federal government curningly promised to use that money to further equip the center.

A "WORLD CLASS VIROLOGY RESEARCH CENTER" built by Umahi's administration with the approval of the federal government can only boast of shine shine lights and one dwarf building, few hospital beds and few ambulances. The center has no qualfied doctor that specialise in virology, no virology machine yet they call it a research center for virology.

When a patient who they never knew was suffering from Laser Fever died, the skeleton in their cupboard was let lose because they lack the equipment.

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2018
grin

Foolish ebonyi state government led by David Umahi. Since you guys refuse to equip health facilities or build new structures. Since your govt refused to pay we corpers that expose ourselves to VHF that is an epidemic here yearly. This land will continually be infested with lassa fever that can be easily controlled if there is effective laid down control measures. Please nweze tell your boss Umahi to pay corpers please we are being exposed to viral hemorrhagic fever daily with no personal protective equipment provided.

Bleep your government Umahi!!!
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Blingblings(m): 3:54pm On Jan 19, 2018
Am coming... cool cool
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by greatface(m): 3:56pm On Jan 19, 2018
All our hopes to see change in our leaders has proven arbortive and our only hope is civil revolution.

The earlier we understand that our future is in our hands and that our leaders should be accountable, the better for us all.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Perge(m): 3:57pm On Jan 19, 2018
Idiotic rapist angry
Your raped your Facebook friend, Nweze1986 undecided
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by greatface(m): 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2018
cowleg:
grin

Foolish ebonyi state government led by David Umahi. Since you guys refuse to equip health facilities or build new structures. Since your govt refused to pay we corpers that expose ourselves to VHF that is an epidemic here yearly. This land will continually be infested with lassa fever that can be easily controlled if there is effective laid down control measures. Please nweze tell your boss Umahi to pay corpers please we are being exposed to viral hemorrhagic fever daily with no personal protective equipment provided.

Bleep your government Umahi!!!
I understand your pain as fellow Nigerian but after your university degree, you still can't present your thoughts properly then I wonder if you are truely a graduate and in medical field as you claim. Learn not to be selfish and insultive at all times.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by zombieTRACKER: 4:04pm On Jan 19, 2018
Abakaliki have always produced dullards as governors

From the other otondo to this Umahi
Who is always eager to endorse buhari everywhere he goes...

No wonder the youths of ebonyi sell gala like their lives depends on it
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by zombieTRACKER: 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2018
greatface:
I AM COMING
Blingblings:
Am coming... cool cool

Keep cumming undecided
It's allowed
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Lanre4uonly(m): 4:12pm On Jan 19, 2018
It is noted. Anyway, it is well with the good people of the salt of the nation.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 19, 2018
Read the post, understand it before commenting

Okoyeebos:
The truth is that the average Igbo man sees the Ebonyi man as being inferior. I don't know what brought about that useless idea but even here on NL, they refer to Ebonyi and Nsukka people as wawa people.

I guess this repeated bashing has brought about a victim complex in some Ebonyi people and makes them do foolish things to gain relevance and make up for their obvious complex.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by toolovely(m): 5:05pm On Jan 19, 2018
zombieTRACKER:
Abakaliki have always produced dullards as governors

From the other otondo to this Umahi
Who is always eager to endorse buhari everywhere he goes...

No wonder the youths of ebonyi sell gala like their lives depends on it

What is the % of the youth selling gala compared to the entire youths of the state.
that comment is an insult to other ebonyi youths which i'm sure majority are far more better than you and your entire generation

2 Likes

Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by asdfjklhaha(f): 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2018
H
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by Abogwara: 5:19pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nigeria of today has made politIcs a jesting jamboree.
Re: Lassa Fever Critics Leave Ebonyi State Government Alone by FBIL: 5:30pm On Jan 19, 2018
Okoyeebos:

You are not Igbo, and so you do not understand us! Just steer clear and face your squalid life under a brown roof surrounded by smelly neighborhood.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun State Discharges Three Coronavirus Patients / What Is Ruzu Bitters / ‘58% Of Nigerian HIV Patients Are Female’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.