Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo (605 Views)

Tolulope Arotile: Nehemiah Adejoh Drove The Vehicle That Killled NAF Officer / Aisha, Abba Kyari's Daughter: My Father Never Drove Till He Died / Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Drove Himself To Inauguration Venue In Hilux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by maximunimpact(m): 6:54pm On Jan 20, 2018
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Saturday attributed the current poverty in the country on choices made by its leaders.

He warned that hard choices must therefore be taken by leaders, to break the poverty cycle, including having to step on toes when necessary.

He spoke at the 7th convocation ceremony of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) in Abuja where he was awarded a PhD in Christian Theology.

He said: “I have come out with the conviction that poverty is not our lot or the lot of any individual or group in Nigeria. It is the choice made consciously or unconsciously by our leaders.

“The beginning of getting Nigeria out of poverty into wealth creation and employment generation is in our choice of leaders who understand what development means and what it entails and who are ready to do what needs to be done and make hard choices that need to be made.

“This includes stepping on toes of friends and well- wishers who will not conform to the transformation or change agenda.”

At the convocation, Fabiyi Adebayo Adekunle emerged the overall best graduating student while popular comedian, Chief Chika Okpala, was awarded a Masters degree by the university.

The former President noted that there is no age limit, no status barrier and social limit for functional education.

He added that as a former student of the institution, he rejected special favours just to experience the process leading to the award of PhD degree.

“I wrote my examination in my study centre with other students to utilize the learner support service like any other student. I went through the rigour and discipline of the graduate school like any post graduate student,” he noted.

President Muhammadu Buhari said NOUN was established to improve access to qualitative education in the country.

https://marketplaceafrika.com/2018/01/20/how-choices-made-by-leaders-drove-nigeria-into-poverty-obasanjo/

Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Seun
Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by Sprumbabafather: 6:56pm On Jan 20, 2018
You are right Obasanjo, your choice of supporting Buharri in the last election has proven to be catastrophic to Nigeria. Millions of people might die because of your blunder.
Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2018
maximunimpact:
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Saturday attributed the current poverty in the country on choices made by its leaders.

He warned that hard choices must therefore be taken by leaders, to break the poverty cycle, including having to step on toes when necessary.

He spoke at the 7th convocation ceremony of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) in Abuja where he was awarded a PhD in Christian Theology.

He said: “I have come out with the conviction that poverty is not our lot or the lot of any individual or group in Nigeria. It is the choice made consciously or unconsciously by our leaders.

“The beginning of getting Nigeria out of poverty into wealth creation and employment generation is in our choice of leaders who understand what development means and what it entails and who are ready to do what needs to be done and make hard choices that need to be made.

“This includes stepping on toes of friends and well- wishers who will not conform to the transformation or change agenda.”

At the convocation, Fabiyi Adebayo Adekunle emerged the overall best graduating student while popular comedian, Chief Chika Okpala, was awarded a Masters degree by the university.

The former President noted that there is no age limit, no status barrier and social limit for functional education.

He added that as a former student of the institution, he rejected special favours just to experience the process leading to the award of PhD degree.

“I wrote my examination in my study centre with other students to utilize the learner support service like any other student. I went through the rigour and discipline of the graduate school like any post graduate student,” he noted.

President Muhammadu Buhari said NOUN was established to improve access to qualitative education in the country.

https://marketplaceafrika.com/2018/01/20/how-choices-made-by-leaders-drove-nigeria-into-poverty-obasanjo/

Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Seun
Awon omo buruku

1 Like

Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by 7lives: 7:07pm On Jan 20, 2018
Sprumbabafather:
You are right Obasanjo, your choice of supporting Buharri in the last election has proven to be catastrophic to Nigeria. Millions of people might die because of your blunder.

2 Likes

Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by Chidexter(m): 7:17pm On Jan 20, 2018
Hmm
Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by Ofunaofu: 7:19pm On Jan 20, 2018
Including the choices made by him because he is one of the leaders whose choices brought untold hardships upon Nigerians
Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by joinnow: 7:20pm On Jan 20, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Already millions are dead already because of his blunder.
Re: How Choices Made By Leaders Drove Nigeria Into Poverty – Obasanjo by yanshDoctor: 8:24pm On Jan 20, 2018
nigeria need to be restructures into confrederation. my fears and worried is that with the current structure it can easily get to the wrong hands. if leadership should fall on the wrong hands it will cause another civil war.

what many dont know about the predicted 2015 disintegration was that it mark the start from that year.

(1) (Reply)

Oil Magnate Ifeanyi Ubah And Victor Umeh Pay Condolence To Late Ekwueme Family / Which Nigerian Senator Or Rep Has This Kind Of Commitment. / Missing N36m: Shehu Sani Storms JAMB HQ With Snake Charmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.