Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,276 members, 7,826,078 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele (19657 Views)

Argentinian Man Kidnapped By Nigerian Bandits Was Saved By Calling Lionel Messi / Is Lionel Messi The Greatest Player Ever? / Who Is The Greatest Player To Ever Grace African Football: Weah Or Eto'o? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by comechop(m): 6:54am On Apr 15, 2010
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by comechop(m): 6:55am On Apr 15, 2010
I no go lie - some of una wee dey this nairaland don OLD, don KALA.

First of all, this is a very silly topic - comparing 2 greats? Whats the point?? What is there to gain apart from useless banter??

Pele was a king in his own right, and mess is one too!

And why the hell does everyone think that you have to win so so so and so world cups, or score a certain amt of goals, or hav a certain amount of assists to be considered the best? Complete BS.

Its all about the player.

In those days, football was not easy, but it definitely DEFINITELY was not up to the pace/intensity that it is today. Then scoring goals was def EASIER than it is now - you didnt have a tougher more intense defense and midfield, heck there was no tactic, no place for smart minds.

Todays football is intense - almost every ball is contested for every time, tackles are even more ferocious, you need TACTICS to play the game well (which messi and barca dey boku in) etc etc. Not to take anything away from pele or the original ronaldo - but seriously, messi is amazing. And no, i'm not claiming he is the best ever - but he is def on track to be that.

For me, I would even consider BABA XAVI to be one of the best of all times - yes he doesnt score so many goals and what not, but scoring goals does not = being the best. The guy is a genius with the ball.

Stop this yeye argument. And yes someone needs to tell Pele to chill - sometimes the guy de talk wetin ein no sabi,  Messi does NOT need to win any world cup to be considered the greatest. Hell, playing in leagues against the BEST in the WORLD can be considered even a greater challenge.

To each his own. I don chop finish.

-come chop

1 Like

Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Mudley313: 7:33am On Apr 15, 2010
wtf you guyz saying.most of those heroic goals pele scored for brazil.who created and gave the assist for pele have a simple finish.i thought it was garrincha.i think messi in sum ways has a unique ability(solo run) which is far better than anything pele did.just that messi  has to show d extraordinary @ wc2010.

solo runs n dribbling skills dont equal best player if not okocha would be contesting for greatest of all time as well. wat it takes is overall impact n these include things u achieved as an individual player n wit teams; rising up to BIG occassions when it really matters. defenders n even goalkeepers can even contest for this title but unfortunately strikers, who's achievements translate in goals dat win games have an undue upper hand in this department dats why most world best players crowned are strikers.

yekini nor sabi dribble or even get too much skills but u know wat his goals achieved not just for himself but for nigeria as a whole. kanu is considered one of nigerias greats cos of his achievements (olympic gold, uefa champions league etc) n rising up to BIG occassions (those 2 crucial goals dat deflated brazil's dream team at atlanta 96). 4 messi to be considered as one of the greats he has to achieve GREAT feats
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by tkb417(m): 8:03am On Apr 15, 2010
Messi hasnt won the world cup yet

so now Messi is the biggest thing in football shocked shocked shocked when Dinho was at his peak, the same noise was made and now its Messi

do you guys know if he'll still be playing at that level in 5 years? abeg!!!

Messi is one of the best footballers ive seen but to say hes the greatest na yam

Dinho, Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo de lima , Johan Cryuff, Romario are all on the same wavelength

no one is greater than the other

Pele? i didnt see him play so i dont know wassup. But for someone who won 3 world cup titles, then he is extraordinary just like the other guys listed. Dont know if hes the greatest footballer ever
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 15, 2010
@comechop,
If you don't win laurels,you can't be great.It's a fact in life,not just in sports.
If Messi likes,let him run rings round Europe.He's yet to convince anybody while wearing the blue-and-white of Argentina.In Beijing,he wasn't even the star player when they won gold:Angel Di Maria was.
He has to prove he can be the lynchpin for Argentina first.
He's not the greatest ever.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by rasputinn(m): 8:12am On Apr 15, 2010
Lionel who? please
What has he done for his national team,any striker worth his salt that plays in front of xavi,iniesta,Toure,Keita CANNOT BUT SHINE,why has he not been able to replicate same feat in the Argentine squadso enough of all this messi nonsense  cool cool cool
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by semid4lyfe(m): 8:17am On Apr 15, 2010
honeric01:

@semid4lyfe
Messi is gud, don't argue that, he's the world best and yes he deserves it but a legend? That i won't but sayin messi is ordinary outside barcelona's wrong. What has c. Ronaldo also achieve for his country?nutting. I think the problem with messi and argentina is the clueless coach called maradona, get them a good coach and u'd see what messi can do.
I am not saying Messi is not a great player. All I'm saying is that he can't be the G.O.AT. . . .Messi is not even the best player of the last two decades IMHO (In my book, Professor Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo de Lima are better/greater) so the issue of comparing him to the old football greats like Pele, Maradona etc shouldn't even arise

All those wey dey compare the ajebutter & referee protected football of today to the rough, tough, gritty and 'do or die' football of yesteryears no know wetin dem dey talk. Those days dem go break person leg and im go dey ground dey writhe in pain, referee go just 'sojinu' like se im no see and na normal thing come wave play-on. . .no be like today wey every touch na foul. . . . .MESSI NO EVEN REACH TO LICK MARADONA & PELE'S BOOTS!
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by tkb417(m): 8:36am On Apr 15, 2010
too much noise about Messi already
wetin? 2 seasons and hes the best ever in football

make una borrow brains na
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Remii(m): 9:03am On Apr 15, 2010
Pele and his likes like our own "Thunder" Teslim Balogun came ahead of their times so those who did not see them in action would argue their claims. Pele in 2000 decleared himself as "Sportman of the Century" in protest to declaration of Mohammed Alli by the award committee. In Nigeria for instance, people like Onigbide regards Thunder as the greatest footballer of all times, no matter what others think of Odegbami, JJ Okocha and the rest.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by omar22(m): 9:14am On Apr 15, 2010
u know he scored "two" goals in the finals against sweden, right? and he was just SEVENTEEN years old. maradona as an U-21 still couldn't make argentina 1st team for 1978 WC n flopped bad 4 yrs later in 82"

After winning the 1977 youth world cup the whole nation wanted him in the team for the 1978 world cup but the coach said its too early even the president intervene that Maradona should go but the coach said no… so Maradona missed out.

you know maradona was marked out of the final game against germany right? so, if players like burrachager n valdano didn't rise up to the occassion they would probably have lost 2-0 to germany, or wats your definition of "single handedly

You make me laugh, the German decided to kick Maradona out of the final, knowing that maradona has already got a yellow card to his name for complaining he had to thread carefully, both Burruchaga and Jorge Valdano’s goals came from a defence splitting pass from Maradona… Because Maradona didn’t score in the final doesn’t mean he didn’t play his part, remember that he has been carrying the team along from day one!!!!
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by tushbobo(m): 9:24am On Apr 15, 2010
Most of the posters are ignorant.I m a barca fan and i like messi but the fact is that he has nt reached the level of pele.30 years is enough for people to forget the wonders this man did on the pitch.its normal for him to think like that cos this talk has been around for long.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by olayinkaj2(m): 9:57am On Apr 15, 2010
@uyipeace, i agree with what u said,they should let him score 1000+ goals and even win one world cup them we can start arguments. I am not being a hater but in the argentine national team no xavi to lay passes like 1 poster said and i agree with that, lets wait and see how many goals is gonna score against nigeria. In barca, he is a great player coz there are good players that supports him in making the goals happen. I was not surprise when the argentine fans started criticising him.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by otokx(m): 10:03am On Apr 15, 2010
He is the current world/european footballer of the year.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by olayinkaj2(m): 10:04am On Apr 15, 2010
@comechop, he should win a world cup. period!!!
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by olayinkaj2(m): 10:08am On Apr 15, 2010
@otokx, he is the current world/european footballer of the year.

What does that teaches us? C ronaldo, kaka also won the world and european footballer of the year. So, ki ni big deal!!!
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by bisiaet: 10:21am On Apr 15, 2010
I sometime wonder about some people sense of judgement. How could someone be saying Messi is the "greatest ever" pls on what ground or on what basis? Is it for scoring goals for Barcelona make him the greatest ever or what? Argentina his country team manage to even qualify for world cup so where was he(Messi) throughout the world qualifier was he not of the team? Some people are so short sighted when making judgement For real Messi is good he is great player and well talented player but how come some people say "he (Messi)is the greatest ever" this is completely out of reasonable mind thinking before someone could be given such title he has to go a long way Like Pele of Brazil, Zidane and so on. And beside if some of this coach could understand that Messi game is a game of space and if that space is shoke off him Messi will not do much on the pitch that is the truth.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by bisiaet: 10:27am On Apr 15, 2010
Even when we talk of ball hoding and driblling masterpiece belief it or not Jay Jay Okocha is the world best. If Jay Okocha was to come from Europe or one of this so called football giant nation you will understand what I am talking about. I am a true fan of Barcelona but Messi is not my greatest player ever I dont belief in bias judfement because I am a Barcelona fan does not mean everything about Barcelona is good or superhuman.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Johnnny(m): 12:29pm On Apr 15, 2010
Who started this issue of Messi being the greatest sef? Messi or Pele

Is it Messi that acclaimed himself to be the greatest player?
I have not read in any medium where Messi has said anything about being the greatest. Even when he was interviewed after the el classico with Madrid, about him and C. Ronaldo - he said it is not about who is the best.

So, I don't get what Pele hopes to achieve with his statement.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by omar22(m): 12:44pm On Apr 15, 2010
So, I don't get what Pele hopes to achieve with his statement.

Pele has always been bitter about Maradona and now Messi, because Messi never said he was the best, an online poll about 10 years ago to see the best footballer ever, Maradona won hands down but they claimed that all the older generation who saw Pele play could not use the internet thats why Maradona won so they scraped the result or I think they made them joint winners,
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by ALAKANNI(m): 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
There is no point to argue about the greatest player ever. Just ask why Messi is being called White PELE?
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by comechop(m): 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2010
I repeat - you dont have to win the WC to be the best player!
And no, messi is def NOT the best player, he def has a long way to go, but he is def on track.

Pele just needs to be quiet - always trying to instigate rubbish with nonsense comments like this. Useless.

And why everybody now don dey claim to be barca fan, make una dey careful o cheesy
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by vislabraye(m): 2:22pm On Apr 15, 2010
Pele is sounding like a beef. People will always make comparisms he has to accept it like that. Who says Messi must score up to 1000 goals ( some of them were even fake goals) to become the greatest.

I would even rate Zizou above Pele, He's the greatest footballer
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by shadrach77: 3:16pm On Apr 15, 2010
i opened a thread specifically for this. five reasons why maradona is better than pele

(1) maradona single handedly won the world cup for argentina - without him there was no argentina - pele however was a star in the middle of a star studded team - his absence was never felt.

(2) football was easier during pele's playing days - it was much tougher when maradona was playing. Maradona even played in Italy which is reknowned for tough defenders yet he made his mark

(3) all pele's goals were either tap-ins or team goals. he never scored individual effort goals like maradona - e.g. england vs argentina 1986.

(4) pele never played in a major european league like premiership or la liga.

(5) pele was given so much space to operate whenever he played. Maradona never enjoyed such luxury. He was always fully marked,
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Katsumoto: 3:35pm On Apr 15, 2010
shadrach77:

i opened a thread specifically for this. five reasons why maradona is better than pele

(1) maradona single handedly won the world cup for argentina - without him there was no argentina - pele however was a star in the middle of a star studded team - his absence was never felt.

(2) football was easier during pele's playing days - it was much tougher when maradona was playing. Maradona even played in Italy which is reknowned for tough defenders yet he made his mark

(3) all pele's goals were either tap-ins or team goals. he never scored individual effort goals like maradona - e.g. england vs argentina 1986.

(4) pele never played in a major european league like premiership or la liga.

(5) pele was given so much space to operate whenever he played. Maradona never enjoyed such luxury. He was always fully marked,

Where does one even start to address all these? I doubt that you know much about football.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Katsumoto: 3:45pm On Apr 15, 2010
For those who are stating that Pele sounds bitter; did Pele organise a press conference to talk about Messi? Questions were put to him by journalists and he answered as best as he could. Everytime there is an event in football, journalists rush to PELE to put questions to him. The fact that 45 odd years since he hung up his boots, journalists still flock to him attests to his worldwide acceptance as the best player ever. How many times do journalists flock to Maradona, Platini (even after he became UEFA president), Puskas, Di Stefano, Faccheti, Cruyff?
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by chelseabmw(m): 4:04pm On Apr 15, 2010
[size=13pt]MESSI IS WORLD BEST[/size]
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by dayokanu(m): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
If you don't win laurels,you can't be great.It's a fact in life,not just in sports.
If Messi likes,let him run rings round Europe.He's yet to convince anybody while wearing the blue-and-white of Argentina

What trophies did Johann Cryuff win for Holland to be named Europes best for Last century. Same with Eusebio, George Best etc
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Desdo(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2010
The idea of comparing messi 2 pele should not echoed anywhere. It is quite obvious dat pele is far greater than messi. Messi's performances at national level cannot be compared 2 dat of pele let alone maradona.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by mamagee3(f): 11:26pm On Apr 15, 2010
smile4kenn:

He deserve more than the award right?  wink
Nah, he deserved nothing more than a slap to take home.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by Sprumbaba: 11:37pm On Apr 15, 2010
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by ezan(m): 1:01am On Apr 16, 2010
@deb

Football in the old days was harder than what we have now, then there was no referees shielding strikers against dangerous tackles, you could get tackled once and that might end your career as a footballer, do you know how many players broke their legs at an early age playing football in the old days?

Stop comparing the old time way of playing football with now because now's very easy compared to the old age. (if you doubt me, try watching classic football dated from 1960s to 1990s.

Exactly, it always amazes me how people are so quick to celebrate mediocrity; no, Messi is not mediocre; for me, he does exactly what a #10 should do. Let's see how a 'slower' Messi plays before we call him the greatest. Look at Ronaldinho.
Re: Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele by aknuel: 2:49am On Apr 16, 2010
I´ve been reading through a lot of comments on this thread about about Pele not been the best because he didn´t play for any European club during his football days but I think a lot of people are getting the whole jist wrong and should be better informed on why he didn´t play in European clubs. ¨

¨Pelé made his debut for Santos in 7 September 1956, scoring one goal in a 7–1 friendly victory over Corinthians.[21] When the 1957 season started, Pelé was given a starting place in the first team and, at the age of just 16, became the top scorer in the league. Just ten months after signing professionally, the teenager was called up to the Brazil national team. After the World Cup in 1962, wealthy European clubs such as Real Madrid, Juventus and Manchester United tried to sign the young player, but the government of Brazil declared Pelé an "official national treasure" to prevent him from being transferred out of the country¨

So it´s not as if he couldn´t get a club to play or that the clubs were not interested in signing him but the Brazilian govertment declare him a national treasure and thus prevented him from leaving Brazil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Receives Alfredo Di Stefano Trophy And Pichichi Award / Oluwatobiloba Amusan Wins Commonwealth 100m Hurdles Women Gold For Nigeria / Garba Lawal Celebrates His 43rd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.