Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,989 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament (615 Views)

God Of The Old And New Testaments Are They The Same? / The Relationship Between Witchcraft And Atheism. / The Differences Between The Old Testament And New Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 8:43am On Jan 21, 2018
There have been a great deal of controversy in defining the dividing line between the Old and New Testament (Testament is another word for covenant). There is an ongoing argument on what should be picked from the Old Testament and what should be drop. Many have argued on what Jesus meant when he said, "“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill." (Matt. 5:17). We run into problem and confusion because we try to decide on the Old Testament without try to know it meaning and it purpose. It is when we know it meaning and purpose that we can understand what Jesus meant when he said he came to fulfill it. And when we know and understand the fulfillment then we can truly practice the New Covenant.

The New and the Old Covenant are not at war with each other, Christians had made it look that way. The truth is that the Old and the New Covenant are not two things but one. If you look closely at the Scripture you would realize that God speak of the two as one. Paul better explained the relationship between the Old and the New Covenant when he used the words "shadow of things to come". A man's shadow is not an alien, the shadow is not another man instead it is the same man. It is a dark projection of the man's image on a surface. The man is the substance and the shadow is a reflection of that substance. This is why Jesus said he had come to fulfill and not to destroy the Old Covenant. He came to reveal the substance that has been projected through the Law of Moses. The Law and the Prophets were meant to reveal a substance by projecting its shadow. But this shadow cannot give enough information and details about the substance. Jesus came to fulfill and accomplish that purpose of revealing the substance by exposing the substance in it entirety.

For too long Christians have looked at the Old Covenant as a substance. They either see it as a substance different from the other substance (the New Covenant) or they see it as a substance joined together or intermingled with the other substance (the New Covenant). Both view point are wrong and that is why there have been so much confusion on this issue. This issue can be resolve by revealing the substance of the reality (the New Covenant) and define the dividing line between the Old and New Testament.

This is an excerpt from the book, The New Covenant [http://www.hiswordxray.com/p/my-books.html?m=0]. You can get the book to learn more.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by NLbully(m): 8:52am On Jan 21, 2018
Testament ni
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 9:11am On Jan 21, 2018
What is the difference between the old and new testament?
What is the requirement to make heaven?
What is the mistake that would cause one to end up in hell?
What part of the old testament should we still practice?
What are we to do about the books of the old testament?
How are we to practice true new testament Christianity?
Should we still pay tithe?
What are we supposed to do concerning tithing?
What about pastors, prophets and other clergy?
How should the Christian church be govern?
What is the rules of the New Covenant?

All these questions and even more is answered in the book, "The New Covenant"
You can get this book in Okadabooks.com just click
https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_new_covenant_/15838

Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by sonmvayina(m): 9:36am On Jan 21, 2018
None.....there are 2 different ideology and belief....two different ideas about God...

In the old testament God is not a man or a human being, numbers23:19, but in the new God is now made a man, which is idolatry when viewed from the perspective of the old testament...

In the old testament every gift(good or evil) comes from the most high god but the new testament God gives only good things,

In the old testament the devil is under the control of God, but in the new he was made into a dual opposite of God...which is an insult against the most high..

Old testament is Judaism, new testament is christianity.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by live4dgospel(m): 10:26am On Jan 21, 2018
Hiswordxray:
There have been a great deal of controversy in defining the dividing line between the Old and New Testament (Testament is another word for covenant). There is an ongoing argument on what should be picked from the Old Testament and what should be drop. Many have argued on what Jesus meant when he said, "“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill." (Matt. 5:17). We run into problem and confusion because we try to decide on the Old Testament without try to know it meaning and it purpose. It is when we know it meaning and purpose that we can understand what Jesus meant when he said he came to fulfill it. And when we know and understand the fulfillment then we can truly practice the New Covenant.

The New and the Old Covenant are not at war with each other, Christians had made it look that way. The truth is that the Old and the New Covenant are not two things but one. If you look closely at the Scripture you would realize that God speak of the two as one. Paul better explained the relationship between the Old and the New Covenant when he used the words "shadow of things to come". A man's shadow is not an alien, the shadow is not another man instead it is the same man. It is a dark projection of the man's image on a surface. The man is the substance and the shadow is a reflection of that substance. This is why Jesus said he had come to fulfill and not to destroy the Old Covenant. He came to reveal the substance that has been projected through the Law of Moses. The Law and the Prophets were meant to reveal a substance by projecting its shadow. But this shadow cannot give enough information and details about the substance. Jesus came to fulfill and accomplish that purpose of revealing the substance by exposing the substance in it entirety.

For too long Christians have looked at the Old Covenant as a substance. They either see it as a substance different from the other substance (the New Covenant) or they see it as a substance joined together or intermingled with the other substance (the New Covenant). Both view point are wrong and that is why there have been so much confusion on this issue. This issue can be resolve by revealing the substance of the reality (the New Covenant) and define the dividing line between the Old and New Testament.

This is an excerpt from the book, The New Covenant [http://www.hiswordxray.com/p/my-books.html?m=0]. You can get the book to learn more.

When Jesus said He came to fulfil the law, He meant He is the only One who could perfectly obey the law and thus the only One who could freely give us the righteousness of God which we cannot achieve through the law. At is written Romans chapter 8 verse 3-4 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
I beseech you to be well-versed in the Old Testament, only then you will come to understand the New Testament well. Hear what Paul being inspired by the Holy Spirit said about the way Christ died for our sins "For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,"(1 Corinthians 15:3-4). How did Christ die for our sins? It is according to the scriptures What does it mean by according to the scriptures? It means that Christ died in the same way as the Old Testament sacrificial system of atonement of sins. Because when Paul was writing the epistle, there was nothing like the New Testament, they were only using the Old Testament. Do you know the Old Testament sacrificial system well? If you do, then you will not find it hard to understand the ministry of John the Baptist. You want to see it written literally that 'John the Baptist is a High Priest' before you believe. The Bible is a word of God and cannot be understood all by a carnal man. From the duty of John the Baptist we came to understand that he is indeed a High Priest. Now let me go back to the sacrificial system of laying on of hands so that you may come to understand this John the Baptist well, who is a High Priest and a representative of all mankind. John the Baptist is the greatest among those born of a woman, he is greater than Abraham, Moses, Isaiah, David and all Roman Catholic Popes, and Mary the mother of Jesus in the flesh! “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."(Matthew 11:11) and again Jesus said that John is more than a prophet, He was implying that John is also a High Priest. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet"(Matthew 12:9). Now open your ears and listen to me as I explain the sacrificial system to you. Be fair-minded, just as those in Berea. "These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so."(Acts 17:11).

TEXTS:

"Now the LORD called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘When any one of you brings an offering to the LORD, you shall bring your offering of the livestock—of the herd and of the flock. ‘If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD. Then he shall put his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted on his behalf to make atonement for him. He shall kill the bull before the LORD; and the priests, Aaron’s sons, shall bring the blood and sprinkle the blood all around on the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of meeting."(Leviticus 1:1-5)

“And when he has made an end of atoning for the Holy Place, the tabernacle of meeting, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat. Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man. The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to an uninhabited land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness."(Leviticus 16:20-22)

The Old Testament is a shadow of the New Testament. The sacrifial system of the Old Testament is the way God atoned the sins of Israelites through the High Priest and sacrifial animals that beared the daily and then yearly sins of Israelites, in the SAME WAY God atoned for the sins of the whole world through John the Baptist who represented the High Priest and Jesus who stood as a sacrifial Lamb who forever beared all mankind sins.
Now compare them, they are perfect match! In the Old Testament there were 3 conditions for God to accept the sin offering
(1) Animal without "blemish" must be used.

(2) The High Priest must lay his hands on the head of sacrifial animal so as to transfer the sins committed by the person or the whole congregation of Israel to body of the animal.

(3) Then the animal must be killed and its blood shed on behalf of the people who committed the sins.

(Lev. 1:1-5, Lev. 16:20-21)

In the New Testament the same thing happened: As it is written in 1 John 5:6 6 This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth."

(1) Jesus came without blemish i.e without sin, and a sacrificial Lamb.

(2) John the Baptist laid his hands on His head during the baptism so as to transfer our sins to Jesus body, as the High Priest.

(3) Then Jesus Christ carried the sins to the Cross where He shed His blood on our behalf.
To read this in detail download this e-book and read with your Bible. Click on the link below to download instantly.

[PDF] (2MB)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=17wYgaNITSYbZMJ8zrf38T6Ft9iQ_YcCX&export=download

Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 12:51pm On Jan 21, 2018
live4dgospel:

When Jesus said He came to fulfil the law, He meant He is the only One who could perfectly obey the law
God bless you for this, Jesus is the only one who can perfectly obey the law and he has obeyed all the law there all who are in Christ have obeyed the law.

"For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:," (2Cor 5:14).

This is a biblical principle; if one died than all are dead, so also if one had obeyed than all has obeyed. Therefore we need not to try to obey the law because we have already perfectly and completely obeyed it in Christ.

Thank God for this revelation
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 1:40pm On Jan 21, 2018
live4dgospel:

(1) Jesus came without blemish i.e without sin, and a sacrificial Lamb.

(2) John the Baptist laid his hands on His head during the baptism so as to transfer our sins to Jesus body, as the High Priest.

(3) Then Jesus Christ carried the sins to the Cross where He shed His blood on our behalf.
To read this in detail download this e-book and read with your Bible. Click on the link below to download instantly.

[PDF] (2MB)

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=17wYgaNITSYbZMJ8zrf38T6Ft9iQ_YcCX&export=download
Wow, that's another way of looking at it. But while I admire this interpretation I believe it is better not to see John the Baptist as a High Priest, especially for us Christians. As Christians Christ is our all, he is our High Priest, our lamb, our altar, our sacrifice and offering. Christianity must be centered around Christ.

Believe me, I have read a lot about the history of the Christianity and I know the mistakes that many have made. It is wrong to begin to exalt anybody personality except Christ. Exalting John the Baptist as a High Priest can lead to the worship of saints, a sin that a segment of the Church are still trapped in till today. I know you don't mean to but this thing happens gradually. We Christianity must understand that Christ is our all, we must grow an obsession for him. For he alone should be our object of worship.

However there are more to the New Testament than the sacrifice and high priest. Bless you brother.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by live4dgospel(m): 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2018
Hiswordxray:

Wow, that's another way of looking at it. But while I admire this interpretation I believe it is better not to see John the Baptist as a High Priest, especially for us Christians. As Christians Christ is our all, he is our High Priest, our lamb, our altar, our sacrifice and offering. Christianity must be centered around Christ.

Believe me, I have read a lot about the history of the Christianity and I know the mistakes that many have made. It is wrong to begin to exalt anybody personality except Christ. Exalting John the Baptist as a High Priest can lead to the worship of saints, a sin that a segment of the Church are still trapped in till today. I know you don't mean to but this thing happens gradually. We Christianity must understand that Christ is our all, we must grow an obsession for him. For he alone should be our object of worship.

However there are more to the New Testament than the sacrifice and high priest. Bless you brother.
I didn't exalt John the Baptist more than the extent he was exalted by our Lord. He was a high priest de facto. He came from a priesthood lineage, the lineage of Aaron so he was qualified to be a high priest. Yes, Israel had a de jure high priest like Caiaphas. However we know John the Baptist is a high priest by what he did in passing over our sins to the head of Jesus as I have said already. You may have to download this book to read in details about all this, just 2 megabytes
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1c-1jhSi9ePxzlAm5PMYSU_BhpdzLv6Tm&export=download
Re: What Is The Relationship Between The Old And New Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
live4dgospel:

I didn't exalt John the Baptist more than the extent he was exalted by our Lord. He was a high priest de facto. He came from a priesthood lineage, the lineage of Aaron so he was qualified to be a high priest. Yes, Israel had a de jure high priest like Caiaphas. However we know John the Baptist is a high priest by what he did in passing over our sins to the head of Jesus as I have said already. You may have to download this book to read in details about all this, just 2 megabytes
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1c-1jhSi9ePxzlAm5PMYSU_BhpdzLv6Tm&export=download
I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying be careful.

(1) (Reply)

. / Jihad: Plot To Ilamize Nigeria Leaked / Hundreds Flock To Cathedral’s ‘beyonce Mass’ Blending Secular Pop Star’s Music W

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.