Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? (2448 Views)

The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological / A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by Devonian(m): 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2010
I recently browsed the website of Covenant University, expecting that the University would be offering programmes in Theology & Religious Studies. I, however, realised that these are not on offer. Curiously Covenant University offers Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology. These subjects often serve as windows through which the phenomenon of religion can be gleaned, and hence the sub-disciplines within Theology & Religious Studies called, Philosophy of Religion, Psychology of Religion and Sociology of Religion.

I have a feeling that since the academic study of Theology & Religious Studies isn't always congruous with literal biblical interpretation or fundamentalist and evangelical hermeneutical approach to the Scripture, for example, Covenant University tactically chose to exclude it from its curriculum. Or, else, how could it deal with alternative views to creationsim (e.g. Intelligent Design, Big Bαng Theory and Evolutionism), or Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Situational Ethics, or 'Source' and 'Form' biblical criticism, etc, regularly taught in Theology & Religious Studies classes.

I am really curious about the exclusion of Theology & Religious Studies programmes from the curriculum of a Christian University which not only emphasizes morality within the rank and file of its students and staff, but also offers humanities and social sciences such as Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology.

Any thoughts and ideas as to why this is the case?
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by KunleOshob(m): 3:21pm On Apr 25, 2010
Isn't it obvious If they taught proper theology in the so called university they would be inadvently shooting themselves in the foot as all the hogwash which their self proclaimed bishop teaches them would be seen to be false. Students in the university would be able to easily and soundly see loopholes in the church's regular mis-interpretation of scriptures and of course it would cause a conflict becos the truth is contrary to what Oyedepo preaches. You have to remember that first and foremost Oyedepo is a business man and he would not want to embark on anything that would jeopardise hie business interests by allowing his students to learn proper theology. That aside i am almost certain that Oyedepo like most of his pentecostal colleagues did not go to any proper instituition to study theology, what most of the charlatans do is to take a part time six month diploma programme in one of the several unacreditted and shallow bible schools set up by other like mind manipulative pentecostal churches and learn primarily how to administer a church and fleece the flock. They learn very little about deep and true biblical knowledge and doing the will of God[ they prefer to invent their own scripture claiming "revelation"]

1 Like

Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by jesus3: 3:59pm On Apr 25, 2010
I wouldnt want to jump into conclusion on why the bishop exempted the course from other regular courses being offered by the university.
I remember when i met the bishop in London in 2004 in company of other pastors, i asked one of the pastors in a london parish, Pastor ojeme(who have been redeployed to winners chapel Ibadan) why the fees was for convenant is high. He gave a response which the bishop do give that, the school is an entity other than the church though owned&managed by one person. My conclusion to the op is that since the church has WOFBI, which is like the theological arm of winners,may the bishop felt its ok, rather than having same with the university. This is what i think in my own opinion.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by KunleOshob(m): 4:10pm On Apr 25, 2010
jesus.:

I wouldnt want to jump into conclusion on why the bishop exempted the course from other regular courses being offered by the university.
I remember when i met the bishop in London in 2004 in company of other pastors, i asked one of the pastors in a london parish, Pastor ojeme(who have been redeployed to winners chapel Ibadan) why the fees was for convenant is high. He gave a response which the bishop do give that, the school is an entity other than the church though owned&managed by one person. My conclusion to the op is that since the church has WOFBI, which is like the theological arm of winners,may the bishop felt its ok, rather than having same with the university. This is what i think in my own opinion.

Very shallow excuses up there embarassed It is also nice to know that the university is not owned by the church even though church members were given the impression that it is a church project when they were trying to raisefleece money from them to build the university. if that is the case then it is simply a case of 419[obtaining by false pretense] I take it then that the university then is a personal property of oyedepo. Anyway the church is also his personal business.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by jesus3: 4:39pm On Apr 25, 2010
I dont like your comment at all. If u feel aggrieved with the church,why dnt u report the church leadership to ICPC/EFCC for falsely obtaining money from members? I only posted the reply i got from the pastor to the opening posts query as regard the theological course&not for u to read another meaning to the response i got. I believe since WOFBI exist for theology,there might not be need as opined by the bishop to have another bible related course of study in the universitys curriculum. There shouldnt be any need for posting 419 or was your money collected to build the university? If yes go to special fraud unit in milverton and complain to the police to help u recover your money. Simple
KunleOshob:

Very shallow excuses up there  embarassed  It is also nice to know that the university is not owned by the church even though church members were given the impression that it is a church project when they were trying to raisefleece money from them to build the university. if that is the case then it is simply a case of 419[obtaining by false pretense] I take it then that the university then is a personal property of oyedepo.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by DeepSight(m): 5:46pm On Apr 25, 2010
Mr. Jesus, you are simply contradicing yourself.

On the one hand you state that the Church and the University are separate entities.

On the other hand you justify the absence of such courses in the university by saying that they are already available in the church.

If truly they are separate entities then there would be no need to justify the absence of one thing in the university by referring to the church.

Both institutions are two leprous hands of one greedy, vain, vacant and faudulent person - Bishop (who the hell gave him that title) [b]Ole[/b]depo.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by jesus3: 7:01pm On Apr 25, 2010
DS what do u mean by contradicting urself?
Covent University and Winners Chapel are two separate entities OWNED&MANAGED by one individual in person of Bishop David Oyewole Oyedepo(PhD). Hes the pro chancellor&presiding Pastor.
This is what i meant. Church+WOFBI(the theological arm of winners)=1 entity. Whilst Convenant-theology/seminary=1 entity. In my own view, the Bishop opined that anythng religious should be handled by the church wing,while purely Academics by Convenant.
Do u know y i think so? I did a leadership course in WOFBI in London,which was why the bishop came in 2004 For our graduation together with other graduants that studied full theology.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by DeepSight(m): 7:05pm On Apr 25, 2010
What is so non-academic about Theology?
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by jesus3: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2010
By non academic i mean non related to say chemistry,medicine,law,banking,insurance etc i.e non related to other spheres of academic. Theology is also academic since knowledge is being acquired.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by DeepSight(m): 7:23pm On Apr 25, 2010
^^^ So it is academic - that means it should be in the University Curriculum as a university is an academic institution.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by jesus3: 7:34pm On Apr 25, 2010
At this point, i thinl further queries should be directed to the Bishop. All i ve stated was my own view of why bishop decided to separate theology from other academic arms of convenant university.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by seejohn316: 1:54am On Apr 26, 2010
Devonian, Kunle,
I am just curious if you made sufficient effort off the net, to get the facts right before going worldwide as you just did (i.e. opening to the world to read, as I stumbled at your) smearing the bishop’s character with allegations that can be very damaging and may infringe on his personal right in law. Without going into the dialogue regarding off net fact finding, may I ask a few questions?
1) What is the criteria for adopting someone’s idea or opinion or hypothesis as a scientific theory?
2) Which of these criteria has your “Big Bang Theory” and “Evolutionism” satisfied?
Comment 1: If you don’t know, don’t bother, many have not cared to know or ask. I recommend, however, that if you don’t know, please don’t talk about them. It is equally safe not to believe what you don’t know, have no means of knowing and have not seen anyone that knows except presumption.
3) Are all the universities you know, except Covenant University (CU), each running every course people want?
4) What would a university need to run a Theology degree? How many of these do you have and have yourself offered CU and they refused?
Comment 2: Take the challenge and offer CU help, if you can. I am sure you are able bodied man like the bishop. If you can’t help CU, I recommend you leave them alone. There are not many Nigerians of his age and education that have done better. Perhaps you can do better, then give honour to whom honour is due, work hard to do better than him. Nigeria need many more universities. If you are just hearing it, it is true, go after it and build one. Don’t pull down the one that is up. We need it.
Comment 3: Please read the following scriptures: 1Chronicles 21:1-3, John 13:27-28, Luke 22:31-32 and Luke 4:8, to mention a few, and judge for yourself at what stage you are in the hands of man’s greatest and destructive enemy. If you need help the bishop can help you, if you are honest about it. If you understand natural laws at all, which indeed are subject to God’s laws governing the entire creation, your best helper is this matter is the man you have ought against, not one unconnected with your issue. May God bless you, in Jesus name.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by vooks: 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2014
Very funny comment
KunleOshob:
Isn't it obvious If they taught proper theology in the so called university they would be inadvently shooting themselves in the foot as all the hogwash which their self proclaimed bishop teaches them would be seen to be false. Students in the university would be able to easily and soundly see loopholes in the church's regular mis-interpretation of scriptures and of course it would cause a conflict becos the truth is contrary to what Oyedepo preaches. You have to remember that first and foremost Oyedepo is a business man and he would not want to embark on anything that would jeopardise hie business interests by allowing his students to learn proper theology. That aside i am almost certain that Oyedepo like most of his pentecostal colleagues did not go to any proper instituition to study theology, what most of the charlatans do is to take a part time six month diploma programme in one of the several unacreditted and shallow bible schools set up by other like mind manipulative pentecostal churches and learn primarily how to administer a church and fleece the flock. They learn very little about deep and true biblical knowledge and doing the will of God[ they prefer to invent their own scripture claiming "revelation"]

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by nora544: 5:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
KunleOshob:

I know from my country that the main University which will be 650 years old have a program that is simply called religion and you can study it also when you don:t want to get a pastor.

So where will get the pastors from winner capel their education.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by vooks: 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2014
How Christian is this institution or what do you mean by a Christian University?

Our Vision

To be a leading World-class Christian Mission University committed to raising a new generation of leaders in all fields of Human endeavor.

Covenant University is a part of the Liberation Commission that God gave to the Presiding Bishop of the Living Faith Church Bishop David Oyedepo, (Ph.D.) some years ago.

http://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/About-Us/About-CU#.VGoji2cWuBM
nora544:

I know from my country that the main University which will be 650 years old have a program that is simply called religion and you can study it also when you don:t want to get a pastor.

So where will get the pastors from winner capel their education.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by nora544: 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
vooks:
How Christian is this institution or what do you mean by a Christian University?

Our Vision

To be a leading World-class Christian Mission University committed to raising a new generation of leaders in all fields of Human endeavor.

Covenant University is a part of the Liberation Commission that God gave to the Presiding Bishop of the Living Faith Church Bishop David Oyedepo, (Ph.D.) some years ago.

http://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/About-Us/About-CU#.VGoji2cWuBM

I want to know where pastors get their education about religion.
In my country when you want to teach religion in schools you need a bachelor degree in religion.
So in nigeria every person can start to work as a pastor and he didnot need a degree from an University.

So wimmers need no bachelor degree that they could preach religion.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by vooks: 8:35pm On Nov 17, 2014
The church, Winners' Chapel has a program for it pastors. I still can't understand how a Christian university can omit Theological studies on its curriculum.

Oral Roberts University is a Christian University. Covenant is anything but Christian

nora544:

I want to know where pastors get their education about religion.
In my country when you want to teach religion in schools you need a bachelor degree in religion.
So in nigeria every person can start to work as a pastor and he didnot need a degree from an University.

So wimmers need no bachelor degree that they could preach religion.
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by tobechi20(m): 8:48pm On Nov 17, 2014
oyedepo didnt study theology.you cant teach what you dont know
Re: Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? by nora544: 9:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
vooks:

The church, Winners' Chapel has a program for it pastors. I still can't understand how a Christian university can omit Theological studies on its curriculum.

Oral Roberts University is a Christian University. Covenant is anything but Christian

I search a little bit about this Oral roberts University and what I read is not better than from Covenant University.
The same is with Oral roberts University.

(1) (Reply)

Why Rational People Have Irrational Beliefs / It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion / Should A Christain Kiss Before Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.