Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,101 members, 7,953,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:54 PM

Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! (909 Views)

Important Question That Needs Answer / A 6years Old Boy Asked Buhari A Shocking Question That Sent Fear Into The Camp O / The Buhari Certificate Saga: The Question That Remained Unanswered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by walata44(m): 4:21am On Apr 15, 2010
Why do we hang pictures of our president and governors in offices and government buildings as if Nigeria is being ruled by Gaddaffi?
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by naijamini(m): 4:24am On Apr 15, 2010
@Poster
I believe that's done in government offices around the world, but may not be a rule. Nigerians hang it in private offices too, I believe.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by walata44(m): 4:29am On Apr 15, 2010
@Poster
I believe that's done in government offices around the world, but may not be a rule. Nigerians hang it in private offices too, I believe.

I can see that you resides in USA, do they hang Obama pictures in offices over there?
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Kobojunkie: 4:47am On Apr 15, 2010
walata44:

I can see that you resides in USA, do they hang Obama pictures in offices over there?
heck no!!! ROFLMAO!!
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by naijamini(m): 5:10am On Apr 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

heck no!!! ROFLMAO!!

Sorry to disappoint you Kobojunkie, but I have seen the President's & VP's, both this one and G.W. Bush, as well as Secretaries' photograph,  in some government offices. It is not placed in the same places as in Nigeria, usually at the entrance or something like that, and definitely not everywhere. May be it is only in Federal Offices, but again I don't know if there is even a rule about it.

In Nigeria, even gas stations hang a photograph of the governor or somebody in high office.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Kobojunkie: 5:30am On Apr 15, 2010
How does that disappoint me? You yourself clearly state that not all federal buildings have these pictures hanging.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by omofat: 12:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
Not a big deal. We like to argue over trivialities. Some federal buildings have it, Some don't. No biggie!

If we hang it in nigeria, doesn't mean anything. When the next person takes charge, the old picture will be removed. No biggie. Doesn't mean we're ruled like Ghaddafi. That's just our way!

Nothing to debate here!
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by naijamini(m): 3:10pm On Apr 15, 2010
@Kobojunkie
Your response virtually ruled the possibility out. However, the statement was meant to be a "friendly" contradication. The "sorry", not the "disappoint" was the important word.

My reaction would probably have been the same as yours, if I had never seen it before.

The fact is that many of the practices we have in Nigeria were derived from the English through our colonial past. Such archaic Queen worship are almost gone in the USA, but remnants remain.

Anybody in the house know if this is still a practice in Britain? My bet would be that the Queen's picture still hangs in their government offices.

Kobojunkie:

How does that disappoint me? You yourself clearly state that not all federal buildings have these pictures hanging.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Beaf: 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2010
It is a hangover from military dictatorships. We need to dump it fast!
Its the praise singers emblem. True signs of a sycophantic nation. . . Ghaddaffi would be happy.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
naijamini:

@Kobojunkie
Your response virtually ruled the possibility out. However, the statement was meant to be a "friendly" contradication. The "sorry", not the "disappoint" was the important word.

My reaction would probably have been the same as yours, if I had never seen it before.

The fact is that many of the practices we have in Nigeria were derived from the English through our colonial past. Such archaic Queen worship are almost gone in the USA, but remnants remain.

Anybody in the house know if this is still a practice in Britain? My bet would be that the Queen's picture still hangs in their government offices.

If you go to the offices to ask if they are mandated to put up the picture of the president, you'll probably get a NO answer, so it is not really what you have in Nigeria, which is the question the @Poster is asking. In many of the federal buildings I have been to, even post offices, you find next to NONE of those. However, I have myself worked in government buildings where the main bosses office, or the conference room has a small picture of the president hanging, but that is not because these offices are necessarily MANDATED to do so. It is usually more out of respect or you have a wacko CEO enamored with the president. I remember a co-worker of mine had pictures of Michelle obama plastered all over his cubicle. WEIRD!

The court downtown not only has the president's face but the governor's, the mayor's, and also the judge's. I think it is more culture than rule of law here.
It is sort of like companies having the face of the CEO hanging in the lobby. Some do it, some don't.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by rebranded(m): 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2010
the offices poster means is probably Banks in Nigeria, you dont see it everywhere, plus i think i have seen it in banks also in the US, need to confirm when next i enter one
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by xterra2(m): 5:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
I believe it is a sign of respect!
Correct were your observations
Not only in government buildings,in private places like schools,car dealers,private offices,universities,bureau de change e.t.c
It should be a sign of respect and showing of superiority for example of you have been to a director generals office,you will see the photo of the minister the DG is working under,vice president and then President.
if you have been to a office of any major general for example,you will see a photo of the chief of army staff,chief of defence staff,minster of defence and commander in chief.
Well,thats how nigerians do it.
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Fhemmmy: 5:36pm On Apr 15, 2010
So how has the pictures on the walls affects anything?
Are they not cheaper than the arts that others have on the walls?
I beg let us concentrate on things that matter jare
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by Beaf: 5:47pm On Apr 15, 2010
Fhemmmy:

So how has the pictures on the walls affects anything?
Are they not cheaper than the arts that others have on the walls?
I beg let us concentrate on things that matter jare

Don't make me laugh, Fhemmmy. I'm sure harmless pictures were Saddams first steps to this. grin

Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by maxdi(m): 6:05pm On Apr 15, 2010
Very soon:
President;
First lady;
State Gov.
Gov wife
LG Chairman etc Pictures will be displayed visibly!!!!
LOL
Re: Question That Needs Answer. Please Help! by egift(m): 6:40pm On Apr 15, 2010
@ Poster:
There is no rule for this. Its just that most Nigerians will like to "belong", as a result even a store keeper will spend money buying this and place in his office. I know a friend who place the frame in this order: President | Himself | Governor

(1) (Reply)

Help! / Babangida Prophecy / Monuments To Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.