Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures (29136 Views)

Buhari "Almost Moved To Tears"After Seeing How Trillions Of Naira Were Embezzled / Caption These Pictures From Today's Fracas At The NASS / Just Saw This Pic And I Was Moved To Pity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2010
I came across these pictures on the BBC w/site and wept for a few minutes.
We even pray inside dumps!
I know that GOD will answer one of these days if we do more than pray -tell ourselves the truth.
The citizens of the most blessed country in Africa have no business living in dumps.  cool
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8595108.stm

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2010
more.

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:00pm On Apr 15, 2010

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2010

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2010
I love the quality of the pictures. Very vibrant colors there . .
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:01pm On Apr 15, 2010

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:02pm On Apr 15, 2010

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:02pm On Apr 15, 2010

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
You will be surprised that many of the people in these pictures are happier and MORE contented that many people in the WEST.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by chamotex(m): 8:05pm On Apr 15, 2010
And what wrong with the pics? undecided undecided undecided undecided
There are slums everywhere
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Kobojunkie: 8:10pm On Apr 15, 2010
frosbel:

You will be surprised that many of the people in these pictures are happier and MORE contented that many people in the WEST.

I am sorry but that is a stupid comparison! What has this to do with the west?
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by blackmann(m): 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2010
All these foreign media houses are always trying to make afican countries look poor. imagine one evening i was watching CNN and they showed "Abuja" from a helicopter, and the images shown, i was sooo pissed - they showed wooden structures, untarred roads, tin roofs, and said it was the capital city of nigeria. from that day on, i stopped watching CNN.
For all we care, those pictures might not even be from nigeria. they too have their slums here. Go to new orleans and see, especially after the katrina hurricane.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 15, 2010
this is not all of nigeria. soon we'll start hearing in foreign media how nigeria is one massive dump site (or how we were the inspiration for 'wall e')

BTW, as long as they're earning an honest living, ain't no shame in that.

1 Like

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but that is a silly comparison! What has this to do with the west?

is it now ?
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by yme1(f): 8:16pm On Apr 15, 2010
oh well
we all gat to learn to live with that undecided
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by asscend: 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
Many of the people u see are self employed who pick things like rubber and plastics from the rubbish dump.

The guy on the first picture looks like some one that was paid to lye down on that heap.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On Apr 15, 2010
frosbel:

is it now ?

Yes IT is.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by asscend: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2010
Yes there are dumps like that but lagos is fast changing.  What we should ask BBC is what year was that video done b/c Lagos has moved on,
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 15, 2010
But is anyone arguing that these pictures do not reflect the reality of live for a lot of people in Nigeria?

I will say you are simply out of touch with reality.

This people are willing to work but were simply not given a chance in life.

I know a lot of folks like this in Port Harcourt, Aba, Onitsha . . . . . . this is the story of attempting to make money out of recycling in Nigeria.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:23pm On Apr 15, 2010
y me:

oh well
we all gat to learn to live with that undecided

Oh no, we don't!  shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry

Here's why.

Nigerian CAN afford to place all of these people on monthly unemployment benefit of N20,000 each. At least that would ensure that no one lives inside that dump. You can still scavenge the place as a business. But, go home to a different environment.  undecided

All these monies stolen by thieving so called leaders can guarantee that.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by chamotex(m): 8:24pm On Apr 15, 2010
The documentary about this pics is on TV tonight anyway
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by ziga: 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Oh no, we don't!  shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry

Here's why.

Nigerian CAN afford to place all of these people on monthly unemployment benefit of N20,000 each. At least that would ensure that no one lives inside that dump. You can still scavenge the place as a business. But, go home to a different environment.  undecided

All these monies stolen by thieving so called leaders can guarantee that.

I'm not saying things can't be better, but the western media is good at making things look hopeless. And we always believe them.

One thing those guys in the picture have is a lot of hope.

And how do you know they don't make more than 20 grand in a month already.

BTW, i don't see anybody living in the dump. The first picture looks like the guy was paid to lie in it.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Fhemmmy: 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2010
How could people live under these kinda condition?
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by ziga: 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2010
These pictures should be a wake up call to all Nigerians.

We need to organize our recycling industry. Lagos generates a lot of waste and so much more money can be generated from that waste.

people, please look beyond what the media is trying to portray.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2010
ziga:

I'm not saying things can't be better, but the western media is good at making things look hopeless. And we always believe them.

One thing those guys in the picture have is a lot of hope.

And how do you know they don't make more than 20 grand in a month already.

BTW, i don't see anybody living in the dump. The first picture looks like the guy was paid to lie in it.

So this guy doesn't live in the dump?  

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
I cannot understand why some folks are trying to spin this out of context, but the truth is that these people live inside this huge dump. For a sum less than that stolen by one leader, this dumpster will not even be above ground. These folks should have a safer place to live.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Fhemmmy: 8:38pm On Apr 15, 2010
Cheiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii . . . . on bbc?
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by xterra2(m): 8:38pm On Apr 15, 2010
[size=24pt]I love nigeria!
@ the 1st and 3rd pictures specifically
It shows we are happy anywhere we are even inside dumps
And It shows we are VERY religious praying inside dumps
[/size]
Though bad,As if there is no place worse than this,have u seen the slums in india even in mumbai-they guy smiling am sure is happier than many of us here.
And everywhere there are slums some if not worse than this
Again
[size=20pt]Remember we were voted "most happiest people on earth" why shouldnt be happy afterall?Dumps or slumps no be on earth?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Fxck BBC,NAIJA 4 LYFE[/size]
Even now,people on twitter are hating on us cause we are in the trending topic

1 Like

Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by 006(m): 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2010
What have we become?
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Fhemmmy: 8:42pm On Apr 15, 2010
xterra2:

[size=24pt]I love nigeria!
@ the 1st and 3rd pictures specifically
It shows we are happy anywhere we are even inside dumps
And It shows we are VERY religious praying inside dumps
[/size]
Though bad,As if there is no place worse than this,have u seen the slums in india even in mumbai-they guy smiling am sure is happier than many of us here.
And everywhere there are slums some if not worse than this
Again
[size=20pt]Remember we were voted "most happiest people on earth" why shouldnt be happy afterall?Dumps or slumps no be on earth?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Fxck BBC,NAIJA 4 LYFE[/size]
Even now,people on twitter are hating on us cause we are in the trending topic

Funny but very sad.
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Kobojunkie: 8:43pm On Apr 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

I cannot understand why some folks are trying to spin this out of context, but the truth is that these people live inside this huge dump. For a sum less than that stolen by one leader, this dumpster will not even be above ground. These folks should have a safer place to live.

a) How sure are you that these men did not CHOOSE to live this life? Maybe they WANT to live on dump piles? It could be a fetish of some sort

b) who told you they are DESTITUTES? For all we know they all had a chance to go to school but refused because they believe in recycling and are willing to do the job, even at the cost of their health

c) How do you know these men are even poor, for all we know the guy bathing in the picture could own a MERCEDEZ benz.

lol
Re: Is This Nigeria? I Was Moved To Tears By These Pictures by Onlytruth(m): 8:44pm On Apr 15, 2010
I guess my next mission is to campaign for unemployment benefits for every unemployed Nigerian. By the time these thieves masquerading as leaders pay 50 million or more unemployed Nigerians about N20,000 each month, there will be no money to steal.
Secondly, these benefits will help boost the economy because these people will spend the money at the local economic levels thereby giving legs to our economy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Killing Of Toyin Salau In US: Abike Dabiri Calls For Thorough Investigation / Police Kill Shia Muslims Observing Arbaeen Religious Trek In Kano 2day(pics / 10 Types Of Nigerians You Will See On Election Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.