Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) (15430 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Honda Accord 99 Or Kia Rio 2006 / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Eluala(m): 11:50am On Apr 19, 2010
Truth is that an average Nigerian consumer is does not take time to investigate before buying. I have come across a lot of people who just wants to buy anything 'tear rubber' irrespective of the safety features available and trust me the Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai, Daewoo and some Chevrolet models) provide them just that.

For a lot people, it's a sign of moving up the ladder. There is so much 'herd mentality'. So many people actually think they are driving something 'big' because it is a brand new Kia and you'll obviously see it in their attitude. Agreed the government is doing absolutely nothing. The Automotive Council of Nigeria (ACN), which is supposed to be the organ of government regulating activities in the sector is just another avenue for settlement. The chairman is one mallam and trust me the only time you hear about him is during the annual Abuja international motor fair, which will soon happen and the rest of his job is to collect government subvention and share among his board members.

An average buyer should be responsible enough to ask the right questions and investigate well before making such decisions. We as a people can also create a pressure group to force these dealers to offer good value to our teeming consumer population.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by D1KeleVra(m): 11:56am On Apr 19, 2010
the"special"one
Some times a few folks here argue like daft people.

1. Have you visited the Kia website and checked if this particular model has airbags?
There's safety regulations and stuff. . . why would an international car manufacturer produce vehicles without airbags? there's things like lawsuits to put 'em in check u know. You don't need to visit their website seeking such info

2. Were you are the scene of accident and saw no airbags at the point of impact?
mhen. . . from the pictures posted u'd see that the steering wheel is still intact. . . nothing came out of it. . . and the passenger's side. . . no hole on the dashboard to show anythng was deployed

3. Do you drive a kia or know any one who drives one and has complained  about airbags?

4. That pic looks as though it was taken at a mechanic's workshop, did you ascertain if the airbags have being retrieved?

5. Do you have  undeniable evidence to back your spurious claims?
Pictures?? undecided

6. Do you know if this particular car is brand new or second hand?

[s]If your answer is no to atleast two of these questions, then shut up and go research for facts before coming here to spew your verbal diarrhoea![/s]

If from what i understand. . . u are the one asking these questions. . . then not to offend u but half of 'em are daft. . .
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by jpphilips(m): 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2010
The rear end of a flat-bed trailer. If it was hit by the Kia itself, it would create damage below the bonnet / grille area. Smiley

I am thinking that its a side impact that tipped it over to the other side but not with a complete somersault
the side dent might be as a result of the total weight of the car sitting on its side, the front lost those grilles through reverberation and considering the fact that such Kia brands are mere plastics u can visualize the rest lol
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by jpphilips(m): 1:51pm On Apr 19, 2010
Is there a requirement for cars to have airbags in Nigeria?

putting their cost of purchase and sundry costs into cognizance, give me three reasons why they shouldn't?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 3:42pm On Apr 19, 2010
indie22:

The kia rio models (made for the nigeria market and distributed by dana motors) do not come with airbags, they are instead ordered with seat belt pretensioners, this is obviously to minimize cost, i get a lot of schtik from customers, wondering, "in this age and time, a brand new car with no airbags"?

but what can i say?, since there is no regulatory body in nigeria for such things, major distributors are free to do as they please,

Its really unfair to the consumers, but you will be surprised to find out that a lot of consumers dont really mind the absence od airbags in the rio, its still our highest selling model funny enough.

Most people that buy "kia", do so because of only one factor: price! they are less expensive than a lot of other brands, kia consumers are not looking or buying luxury, all they want is a car that can get them from point a to b and will not give them the kind of problems a fairly used vehicle will, they are looking for fuel efficiency and cheap to maintain, that wat kia offers,

i drive a Rio funny enough, for me its an easy drive, dnt spend much on gas, gets me wherever i want to go, thats all i need in a car for now.

@Indie22
I really appreciate and respect your candid comments and truth. Its a fair enough arrangement that you educate intending buyers on what it is and they end up making their choice. Thats some integrity based packaging right there.

I know that in real life 70% of intending buyers will take a brand new Yaris without airbags for 1.5M than a 2004 Accord full option. This Im sure of because I know people who can afford original phones but will tell me that their Chinco handset will give them dual sim and TV - what they are missing out here is that the wattage and noise level from that earpiece they hold to their ears is not moderated or standardized in any way and it leads to tumours in the brain - thats why some of them hear their phones ringing in their heads - even when the phone is off (Im sure no one pays any attention to this).

So IF we are talking about airbags, there are lots of things without safety features like the airbag and we take for granted on a daily basis.

Clearly, just like Indie22 has stated; the Kia has its own uses and fits some people's budget for a "Brand new" vehicle. For me its all in what the buyer wants and most importantly what the buyer knows.

So, if the "Government" will ban those cars, they should also ban those unsafe phones, and those sunrise china wires that set houses on fire - and those bulbs that explode too (China as well)
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by eros(m): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2010
Wow!!!! alot has being said about Kia having airbags or not. I hope all of these comments gets ti the appropriate authority and they do something about it. So that, it does look like we have all wasted our time typing and paid internet service arguing over an issue that will not be resolved.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by sley4life(m): 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2010
i have despised kia product from inception
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2010
Eluala:

Truth is that an average Nigerian consumer is does not take time to investigate before buying. I have come across a lot of people who just wants to buy anything 'tear rubber' irrespective of the safety features available and trust me the Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai, Daewoo and some Chevrolet models) provide them just that.

For a lot people, it's a sign of moving up the ladder. There is so much 'herd mentality'. So many people actually think they are driving something 'big' because it is a brand new Kia and you'll obviously see it in their attitude. Agreed the government is doing absolutely nothing. The Automotive Council of Nigeria (ACN), which is supposed to be the organ of government regulating activities in the sector is just another avenue for settlement. The chairman is one mallam and trust me the only time you hear about him is during the annual Abuja international motor fair, which will soon happen and the rest of his job is to collect government subvention and share among his board members.

An average buyer should be responsible enough to ask the right questions and investigate well before making such decisions. We as a people can also create a pressure group to force these dealers to offer good value to our teeming consumer population.

eluala,
true talk! imagine if it was in naija that toyota had thier pedal issue, i'm sure the appologist board members and their mallam chairman would long have been 'settled' and we would never have heard anything about it at all!  grin
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 8:48pm On Apr 19, 2010
George_D:

eluala,
true talk! imagine if it was in naija that toyota had thier pedal issue, i'm sure the appologist board members and their mallam chairman would long have been 'settled' and we would never have heard anything about it at all!  grin

@George_D
Very well said. Imagine if I was a member of that committee; All I need from them is a 2013 Full Option Highlander, and we will be issueing a press statement. cheesy cheesy

But seriously, I think that Toyota thing is an over-hyped conspiracy against Japan / Toyota; more like a desperate move by a dying economy or industry to sell their failed brands by a sabotage against the world's No. 1. Thats just my own understanding of the whole thing and its very unfortunate, BUT from what I gather, its having no impact at all outside the Ford country.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Aare1(m): 10:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
indie22:

The kia rio models (made for the nigeria market and distributed by dana motors) do not come with airbags, they are instead ordered with seat belt pretensioners, this is obviously to minimize cost, i get a lot of schtik from customers, wondering, "in this age and time, a brand new car with no airbags"?

but what can i say?, since there is no regulatory body in nigeria for such things, major distributors are free to do as they please,

Its really unfair to the consumers, but you will be surprised to find out that a lot of consumers dont really mind the absence od airbags in the rio, its still our highest selling model funny enough.

Most people that buy "kia", do so because of only one factor: price! they are less expensive than a lot of other brands, kia consumers are not looking or buying luxury, all they want is a car that can get them from point a to b and will not give them the kind of problems a fairly used vehicle will, they are looking for fuel efficiency and cheap to maintain, that wat kia offers,

i drive a Rio funny enough, for me its an easy drive, dont spend much on gas, gets me wherever i want to go, thats all i need in a car for now.

Thanks for your honest clarification, guess this has cleared the air. I'll however however suggest that you have a discussion with your superiors as to the possibility of having airbags as an option, this would ofcourse be at an increased cost to the customer. I'm sure some peeps won't mind that extra cost, trust me.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by agathamari(f): 8:32am On Apr 20, 2010
you people do know that the airbag will not deploy if the fuse is blown or removed? you do know that if a non compatable cd system is installed it will disable the airbag as well? if the steering wheel itself has been replaced and not rewired correctly the airbag will not deploy (not all cars have a passenger airbag - even brand new ones)? the airbag sensor does not always trigger on off center collisions.

it is the customers responsibility to ensure their car has a working airbag, not the dealership
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 20, 2010
agathamari:

you people do know that the airbag will not deploy if the fuse is blown or removed? you do know that if a non compatable cd system is installed it will disable the airbag as well? if the steering wheel itself has been replaced and not rewired correctly the airbag will not deploy (not all cars have a passenger airbag - even brand new ones)? the airbag sensor does not always trigger on off center collisions.

it is the customers responsibility to ensure their car has a working airbag, not the dealership

If a non-compatible head unit is fitted, it will not disable the airbag, unless it involves removing the driver's wheel (multi-function wheel). Are you speaking from a "hear say" point, or as an engineer? I work on all makes of cars for a living, and have never heard of a head unit disabling an airbag!

We're not talking about blown fuses here, we're talking based on a car that has airbags fitted, and both are working. I have already stated that not all cars have a passenger airbag. The Kia here has extensive damage to the driver's side chassis rail. If it had airbags, at least the driver's side one would have deployed.

Yes, it's the operator's responsibility to ensure their cars have functional airbags. It is also the [b]stealer[/b]ship's responsibility to ensure the cars they sell have all safety features functional, if fitted. How many dealers actually scan the SRS systems for fault codes, when these cars come in for routine servicing? From experience, not all SRS faults will illuminate the warning light! In such cases, how will the owner / user know?
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by enzo01(m): 10:10am On Apr 20, 2010
Guyz una no go really blame the koreans na wetin our guyz over there say make them give b that always bringing in substandards products into this country.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Iranoladun(f): 12:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
interesting & educative topic

I've always view the Kia brand with suspicion when it comes to safety undecided

I hope this thread will be referred to the right authority Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON), FRSC, Min of Transport etc
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 2:31pm On Apr 20, 2010
@Iranoladun
There are other manufacturers involved in the same business strategy. The Kia situation was brought to our notice by Aare - a very good move. If you watch closely, you will find out that Kia has competitors in the corporate auto supply market - brands like Hyundai and Toyota (especially with the tagged Corolla).

Just like enzo01 rightly said; those options and models are manufactured and supplied based on the demand from our local consumers and their suppliers. With a forum like this one, I believe that the awareness to dump such models will rise and the procurement of such for public services might even be made a criminal offence, then you will have the same manufacturers with proper notices and dialogue within their association (Im assuming they have a manufacturers' union here) stop the shipment of such unsafe models.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by NaijaEcash(m): 5:24pm On Apr 20, 2010
Indeed knowledge is power. I feel sad that Nigerians often get cheated because we have leaders that simply do not value human life as long as the life we are referring to is not that of their family member.

Due to high level of ignorance, Nigerians take a lot of risk and do things that are often consider as social suicide by other nationals. This thread is indeed an eye opener that we are being cheated and our lives are being risked. I won't blame Kia, rather I will blame our leaders who have failed at their responsibilities and the dubious businessmen who are exploiting the lousy system we have in place to make money at by sacrificing human lives.

Nobody will consider this thread a light joke if we are to have someone who was saved from death by airbag posting the shocking story here.

Even though it is the responsibility of our government to ensure that international best practices are followed by importers. I will not deceive myself, I will rather get myself well informed and take personal precaution so that I will not become part of the statistics.

Kudo's to the starter of this thread. Even if it is only 2 people that have gotten educated, that is 2 lives preserved.

Kudo's to Sienna for spending time to explain things in layman language.

Thumbs down tongue to SON for failing in their national duties even though they are feeding fat on taxpayers money cry
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:53pm On Apr 20, 2010
Onwan:

@George_D
Very well said. Imagine if I was a member of that committee; All I need from them is a 2013 Full Option Highlander, and we will be issueing a press statement. cheesy cheesy

But seriously, I think that Toyota thing is an over-hyped conspiracy against Japan / Toyota; more like a desperate move by a dying economy or industry to sell their failed brands by a sabotage against the world's No. 1. Thats just my own understanding of the whole thing and its very unfortunate, BUT from what I gather, its having no impact at all outside the Ford country.

onwan,
don't be too quick to follow the conspiracy story.

are you aware that toyota is now recalling its 2010 Lexus gx 460 due to roll over risk?
now that is certainly food for thought, isn't it? smiley

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-04-19-toyota-lexus_N.htm
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2010
@George_D
I understand your point. That would be Toyota USA. I see those vehicles everyday in Lagos and I know two people that own the 2010 GX and they dont even know what that means.

If you watched the video the Toyota had to release to counter that claim you will find out there is absolutely wrong with that vehicle. Im only happy to know that people outside the US are looking at the issue with enough caution and are on their own standing by their own views.

I for one understand that its just a conspiracy against Toyota. By the way, Toyota USA is not 100% owned by Toyota Japan - which is a very big mistake on the part of the Japanese manufacturer. Well, its good to know that most owners dont even know or see any practicality in the tricks that Failed Ford and its cousins are playing to impose their brands.

Its my opinion and what I understand.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by agathamari(f): 9:09pm On Apr 20, 2010
Siena:

If a non-compatible head unit is fitted, it will not disable the airbag, unless it involves removing the driver's wheel (multi-function wheel). Are you speaking from a "hear say" point, or as an engineer? I work on all makes of cars for a living, and have never heard of a head unit disabling an airbag!

We're not talking about blown fuses here, we're talking based on a car that has airbags fitted, and both are working. I have already stated that not all cars have a passenger airbag. The Kia here has extensive damage to the driver's side chassis rail. If it had airbags, at least the driver's side one would have deployed.

Yes, it's the operator's responsibility to ensure their cars have functional airbags. It is also the [b]stealer[/b]ship's responsibility to ensure the cars they sell have all safety features functional, if fitted. How many dealers actually scan the SRS systems for fault codes, when these cars come in for routine servicing? From experience, not all SRS faults will illuminate the warning light! In such cases, how will the owner / user know?
im saying i had a pontiac hat did that and even stated so in the owners manual and the dealership who instaled it told me as well - also disabled the door and headlight light alarm.

used cars are sold as is, functional or not - buyers responcibility. dealers are only responcible for brand new cars. warning lights are also called idiot lights for a reson - before you buy a used car you should always have it checked by a mechanic
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by tayoTFC(m): 9:29am On Apr 21, 2010
@poster----stop codemming kia rio, all new cars in nigeria expecially kia comes with airbag, the picture above is an accidental vehicle that some of the part must has been remove including the airbag, u can confirm from the owner if there is air bag , rathere than making unconfirme statement,
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by tayoTFC(m): 9:33am On Apr 21, 2010
@poster----stop codemming kia rio, all new cars in nigeria expecially kia comes with airbag, the picture above is an accidental vehicle that some of the part must has been remove including the airbag, u can confirm from the owner if there is air bag , rathere than making unconfirme statement, cos i use kia rio and it come with airbag,
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by underscore: 10:19am On Apr 21, 2010
It's not just a kia thing!

We've got a couple of 2004/2005 Toyota Corollas in my office without airbags too (1.3 litre engines that wobble at 120km/h).

The Kia Rios and Picantos (sold brand new in Nigeria) do not come with airbags!

However, as a consumer, there are several factors you consider:

1. Budget
2. Convenience of installment payment plans (available for new cars)
3. Peace of mind (from breakdowns/ mechanics) ,  not seen any of these Kias broken down before (no recalls too).
4. Satisfaction (this is relative, while one likes a v8 engine to move about town, someone else is satisfied with a 1.4 litre engine for the same purpose).
5. Choice: some just prefer a new car to tokunbo.

Which ever body is in charge of standards should really look into basic safety standards like airbags.
Since that's the yardstick for the developed countries who produce such cars {Toyotas (Yaris and Corolla), Kia (Rio and Picanto), Hyundai (i10 only), Geely etc}.

I have never seen a brand new Honda or Nissan without airbags in Nigeria, though.

I think these poor standards cut across every strata of the economy: food, drugs, generators, cars, electronics, computers etc.

The REGULATORY bodies in charge should WAKE up and be EFFECTIVE in this regard.

NB. These are my personal opinions ,  maybe right, maybe wrong!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:21am On Apr 21, 2010
Onwan:

@George_D
I understand your point. That would be Toyota USA. I see those vehicles everyday in Lagos and I know two people that own the 2010 GX and they dont even know what that means.

If you watched the video the Toyota had to release to counter that claim you will find out there is absolutely wrong with that vehicle. Im only happy to know that people outside the US are looking at the issue with enough caution and are on their own standing by their own views.

I for one understand that its just a conspiracy against Toyota. By the way, Toyota USA is not 100% owned by Toyota Japan - which is a very big mistake on the part of the Japanese manufacturer. Well, its good to know that most owners dont even know or see any practicality in the tricks that Failed Ford and its cousins are playing to impose their brands.

Its my opinion and what I understand.

it's no conspiracy, my friend. toyota have alread started recalling. and if you really love those friends of yours, pls spare a thought for their safety and give them this vital information. that way you'll ensure they live long enough to continue fending for their families while driving their fancy lexus gx!
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by Onwan: 10:40am On Apr 21, 2010
Im thinking of buying one myself. It drives like an airplane. Forget that recall thing - I already told you that Toyota USA is not even 70% owned by Toyota Japan. Most of the companies and people in the middle east ALL use Landcruisers and customised ones too (I know that for a fact because I have partners there and been there a lot). It never affected their orders for the vehicle and they dont even have the time to listen to the crap the US people are feeding people with, just to make them lose confidence in the No. 1 choice of everyday SUV for corporate and field workers.

Even the UN refuse to shift to Ford - still Toyota.
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:49am On Apr 21, 2010
onwan,
aye, go ahead and buy. but be reasonable enough to check that the roll over risk has been taken care of. in my profession, it's always better to err on the side of safety. cool
Re: Kia Rio No Get Airbag???(with more pics) by ponytail: 4:47pm On Apr 21, 2010
I encountered this issue when I wanted to buy a new car in 2007/2008. Because I worked late hours, wouldn’t have my driver and knew next-to-nothing about cars at the time I thought it would be in my best interests to buy a brand new car to avoid having to deal with ‘break-downs’ at odd hours of the night. On the other hand, I had cash constraints and wasn’t expecting to use the car for longer than 8 months or so. So my options were limited. I needed a new car but didn’t want to spend too much money on it since I wouldn’t be driving it for very long.

So I looked at all the options – Honda city, Toyota Yaris, Hyundia Elantra/Accent and the Kia Rio.

I spoke to a Kia salesman at length at their showroom on Akin Adesola and asked if it had air bags and was told that it didn’t. When I asked why the salesman said studies conducted showed that most Nigerian crashes were side impact crashes, rarely full head-on and so the air bags were almost of no impact. I’m guessing that at the time he said this he did not take side air bags into consideration. I was told that the Kia Cerato was the least expensive car with an airbag – having only one air bag in the driver’s side. He did not explain the reason for the discrepancy or confirm if the Cerato was for some special reason, excluded from the studies he referred to earlier.

Anyway, ignorant I was about cars, I thought this was pretty strange, and I noted that he did not say anything about the lack of airbags till I asked. That was the sole reason I didn’t buy the car even though I really needed something ‘cheap and cheerful’. I just thought that if they had the nerve to cut corners on something as obvious as an airbag, only God alone knew what other corners they would have been cutting underneath the bonnet.

Like I said this was a couple of years ago – maybe things have changed…

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

MY GOLF 3:how Do I Maintain It? / At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? / Best Place To Keep Your Car Spare Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.